Thread: Beta Quadra: Relaxing & Unwinding

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beta Quadra: Relaxing & Unwinding

So, I was interviewing a beta dual couple (LSI-EIE) the other day, and the wife was talking about always living at a "10," (out of 10) in terms of energy expenditure, emotion, drama, etc., and that got me thinking about how beta as a quadra is sort of associated with the "living at a 10" quadra. The woman I was interviewing was talking about how it's nice to not live at a 10 all the time, and I think many betas would agree; you can't permanently be at the maximum level of energy, excitement, whatever all the time. Sometimes it's nice to live on a "5" for a while.

We always talk about beta as the quadra of struggle, striving, making it happen, the change-agents, etc. Especially in terms of quadra dynamics, I know gilly talks a lot about betas being the ones willing to completely break with the old order and institute a new one. For my part, I like to use the literary metaphor wherein alpha peeks down into the abyss, beta is in the abyss, gamma is climbing out of the abyss, delta has it's back to the abyss.

But what do betas do to unwind? Obviously betas don't spend their whole lives running like madmen. When they're taking a pause from saving the world or running the corporation or defeating the bad guys?

I guess what I'm really asking is, what is the balance in beta lives between living the extreme and recuperating from it? Is it just that betas recuperate in extreme situations? Even meditation, I suppose, is extreme in a way, as is reading poetry or having sex/seeking a sexual partner or whatever. Are Beta STs, in particular, always in "on" mode, always in motion towards a goal? I know me personally, I can be really intense for a while, but then I just need a break.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that why Betas always peek back at me on the bus?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drugs, of course.

Also yelling at each other, working out to the point of exhaustion, making and appreciating art, making and parading signs that say "The End Is Near," tending to our gardens of flesh-eating plants, and staying awake in a stupor for days on end until either Nirvana is achieved or some major organ (typically the adrenal gland and/or liver) malfunctions and kills us.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously though, when I have my head in the right place, there's no reason not to live at full speed all the time; the only recuperation I need is sleep, and not much of it at that, if I am doing things that feed me. I find that, the more time I spend relaxing or trying to fill up loose time, the more depressed I am, the less writing I get done, the more I question the future, the more I spend time dwelling on regrets, feeling like shit for being lazy...I could go on. When I'm healthy, mentally and physically, I do like to be "on" pretty much all the time; I see no reason not to.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    But what do betas do to unwind? .
    Mainly I stare at an object i.e. TV/ wall etc in an Ni bubble reflecting on what I have done and imagining what will happen next. I can do this for hours/ days/ months After a period of extreme activity I need this time to "download" or I crack. After I have done this I'm relaxed and ready for action again (but I need someone to Se me out the Ni bubble or I get lost in it for weeks then feel out of touch with reality).

Also I watch movies & drink alcohol .

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, your life sucks.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least compared to mine.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously though, you should get some flesh-eating plants.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I need to recharge for 10 days for about 2 hours of activity. =p

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Betas, "To Suffer and Conquer"

More work I do, the better I feel.

Wasted time sitting, I get depressed.

But thinking about how I am "always on" and never as relaxed as those around me, I get depressed, lol.

Creepy-Cyclops

They masturbate with big scary toys?

Quote Originally Posted by IEI View Post
    Mainly I stare at an object i.e. TV/ wall etc in an Ni bubble reflecting on what I have done and imagining what will happen next. I can do this for hours/ days/ months After a period of extreme activity I need this time to "download" or I crack. After I have done this I'm relaxed and ready for action again (but I need someone to Se me out the Ni bubble or I get lost in it for weeks then feel out of touch with reality).

Also I watch movies & drink alcohol .
    the exact same here minus the alcohol. (it's bad for your esophagus!)

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Blaknet View Post
    the exact same here minus the alcohol. (it's bad for your esophagus!)
    But guinness is good for you!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm pretty much always at a 9. "relaxing" makes me anxious. There's always something I need to be doing or getting done...don't understand how some find it pleasureable doing nothing all the time.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By default I am physically relaxed, but paradoxically my thoughts are always racing and I am always antsy and nervous. I need to take speed to focus my thoughts and give me energy, otherwise I can't get anything done.

what do you mean "doing nothing"? Actually i believe that nowadays for most people it's surfing the internet aimlessly

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and I relax deliberately by reading, playing video games, watching movies, etc.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Seriously though, when I have my head in the right place, there's no reason not to live at full speed all the time; the only recuperation I need is sleep, and not much of it at that, if I am doing things that feed me. I find that, the more time I spend relaxing or trying to fill up loose time, the more depressed I am, the less writing I get done, the more I question the future, the more I spend time dwelling on regrets, feeling like shit for being lazy...I could go on. When I'm healthy, mentally and physically, I do like to be "on" pretty much all the time; I see no reason not to.
    yeah, the more "on" I am or allow myself to be, the happier I am. I do need to sleep though.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By nothing I mean watching tv hours on end or surfing the net...sleeping all the time, etc. Just don't get it. It's frustrating.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    By nothing I mean watching tv hours on end or surfing the net...sleeping all the time, etc. Just don't get it. It's frustrating.
    Do you have trouble sitting still?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

these replies have been so fucking interesting to me.

I have to live with lots of Fe, high level of it, otherwise I don´t feel like I´m alive, I also have trouble focusing to read, started to take a med for it today and it seems to be already working.

most of the time it seems I just want to sex nurses or somewhat older, MILFs.
    I recuperated from living at an almost 10 last time a few weeks back in a clinic, doing rehab for alcohol and ritalin abuse. I enjoyed taking them together and partying, the rita made me stand more alcohol.

I´ve been totally sober now for 21 days, I´m going to become a Christian priest, perhaps... thinking about that. lol.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post

I have to live with lots of Fe, high level of it, otherwise I don´t feel like I´m alive, I also have trouble focusing to read, started to take a med for it today and it seems to be already working.

I recuperated from living at an almost 10 last time a few weeks back in a clinic, doing rehab for alcohol and ritalin abuse. I enjoyed taking them together and partying, the rita made me stand more alcohol.

I´ve been totally sober now for 21 days, I´m going to become a Christian priest, perhaps... thinking about that. lol.
    wow.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for what purpose would you become a priest?

More beta relaxation: repainting Da vinvi's masterpiece
    Last edited by jughead; 06-25-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Do you have trouble sitting still?
    A really hard time

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say I consistently operate at a 10, but I do operate in very black-and-white terms (complete self-denial or activity). actually, the method has to do with locating specific things to become absorbed in, so that anything relevant will revolve around them, and the rest will fade out. the issue is finding consistent stimulation. too much searching. but I find that I function optimally with exercise, little sleep, and drugs (would be on adderall 24/7 if I could). it's just a way to keep the cycle going, without getting pulled too far into work or indulgence. actually, I never feel like I'm relaxing; at most, spacing out to infected mushroom or something will recalibrate the serotonin, and then it's off to the next impulse. sometimes I hold myself back, because I would rather conserve energy than waste it on something that isn't completely 'there.' but yeah, I can only operate with people who know how to react. it seems that most only know how to shackle themselves to activities and be dragged along by time. there are just too many impulses and random outlets for lasting commitments.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jughead View Post
    for what purpose would you become a priest?

More beta relaxation: repainting Da vinvi's masterpiece
    I wouldn´t become a priest, that was just a joke. Although the emptiness might take me to quite serious spiritual ways of life.

I´d like to hear from other ISTjs whether they feel the same about life... to me it seems, it has been like this for some 3 years now and getting worse in the past 2 years, seems that life is completely devoid of any meaning and that both life and principally myself are devoid of any substratum that would provide any kind of solid ground for a meaning to be built or something nice to happen. I cannot describe the experience totally right with words. There are times however when I feel that there is not only a meaning, there is an incomprehensible ORDER and everything is JUST GOING PERFECTLY FINE, which is exactly the opposite of my common daily experience. In these moments I am endowed with a kind of vision of the perfection and orderliness of all that is, which is only imperfect if compared to something else, which is in its turn imperfect if you compare it to some other thing, so you see that the common thinking mind creates imperfection and seemingly chaos where there is in fact none. It is interesting that such a mistake happens because of the minds ability to discern and divide, which is a great gift, but then also the great fall because we start comparing things and seeing differences , and yes the differences are there but they do not mean that A is better than B because A is like this and B like that, they´re just different. Someone else may find B better than A. It´s all fucking relative. This was a huge insight for me.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love pilates.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, your life sucks.
    Lol that's how I relax after I do the fun stuff to recover!!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like being in nature to relax spending time in nature.
    hello Redbaron.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like being in nature to relax spending time in nature.
    hello Redbaron.
    hi.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relax when I drive, sleep, for sit in front of the computer for more than an hour.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relax once in two months, then I get sleep in a daytime and I wake up feeling so fucking amazing. And the night sleep is a usual friend of mine. I spend lotsa time at home, but I couldn't say that I ever am bored. These days I spent losta time with my gf, also with friends. I guess heavy laughing and total awkard humour is relaxation of mine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Drugs, of course.

Also yelling at each other, working out to the point of exhaustion, making and appreciating art, making and parading signs that say "The End Is Near," tending to our gardens of flesh-eating plants, and staying awake in a stupor for days on end until either Nirvana is achieved or some major organ (typically the adrenal gland and/or liver) malfunctions and kills us.

hahahahahahaha

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex/masturbation, Fe/Se music, video games (though I've recently pretty much quit playing them), reading novels, watching favorite TV shows.

Relaxation to me is an Si thing. I don't do Se stuff like work out in order to relax, nor do I read educational literature for reasons that aren't Se-related (i.e. I read it in order to make myself more powerful).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol your sig is funny.