Thread: Self Monitoring

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Self Monitoring

Is the level of self-monitoring type related? That is, how likely you are to alter your behavior and your self-presentation in different situations? Here's a test you can take to assess your level of self-monitoring.

http://www.outofservice.com/self-monitor-censor-test/

By the way, I score 50%, exactly in the middle of the scale.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your score is 23, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are a MODERATELY LOW self-monitor.
    I tend to monitor myself closely when there are people around who I don't know very well and therefore don't trust. However, my scale tends to be between "Being Myself" and "Being Quiet", not between "Being Myself" and "Pretending to Be Someone Else".

I know an H-ESE who is quite a high self-monitor. I'm wondering if it might be related to subtypes -- I don't imagine Dominants would be very high self-monitors, no matter the type.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    is quite a high self-monitor. I'm wondering if it might be related to subtypes -- I don't imagine Dominants would be very high self-monitors, no matter the type.
    I think subtypes might play a role. But I think dominant subtypes can be high self-monitors, especially if its an dominant type. I could see them altering their persona in favor of establishing a certain emotional atmosphere. Likewise I could see normalizing types doing alot of self-monitoring to maintain relationships and ethical norms.

I think harmonizing LIIs might be more self-monitoring than other LII subtypes. I don't know about harmonizing subtypes of other socionic types. I think in general LIIs along with ILIs are low self-monitors and I am higher on this trait compared to the average LII. I think ESE, SEE, and EIE would tend to be high self monitors.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your score is 15, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are a LOW self-monitor.
    Not surprising.

All of the students in a psychology methods course that I took completed this exact scale along with many other scales, and we correlated the results. I scored the lowest on this scale out of everybody in the class. My ESFp friend who was sitting next to me scored the highest.

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My results:

Your score is 34, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are a MODERATELY LOW self-monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I think subtypes might play a role. But I think dominant subtypes can be high self-monitors, especially if its an dominant type. I could see them altering their persona in favor of establishing a certain emotional atmosphere. Likewise I could see normalizing types doing alot of self-monitoring to maintain relationships and ethical norms.
    I was gonna say almost the same thing:

Kinda like inner harmony (self-monitoring) and outer harmony (monitoring others)

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your score is 45, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are neither a high nor low self-monitor.
    To add to the information gathering.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My score was 60. lol
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71...but a lot of those questions had to do with acting and theatre
    Stan is not my real name.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50%
    ambiversion!

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post

I think harmonizing LIIs might be more self-monitoring than other LII subtypes. I don't know about harmonizing subtypes of other socionic types. I think in general LIIs along with ILIs are low self-monitors and I am higher on this trait compared to the average LII. I think ESE, SEE, and EIE would tend to be high self monitors.
    That's a good point. A Dominant subtype might deliberately self-monitor in order to achieve a desired effect on their surroundings, whereas a Harmonizing subtype would self-monitor to avoid offending others and preserve the peace.

In order from most likely to self-monitor to least likely to self-monitor, I would speculate it is:

1. Harmonizing
    2. Dominant
    3. Creative
    4. Normalizing

It seems logical to me that Connecting subtypes would be more self-monitoring than Ignoring types, since they're more aware of what's going on in the world around them, and how their actions affect the world.

I think Creative might be more prone to self-monitoring than Normalizing, since Creative is Contacting and therefore interacts more with the world. Normalizing, being Distant, tends to ignore everything that does not infringe upon "his" domain.

Still, this is all speculation. It would be interesting to do a study on whether there's an actual correlation. But alas, once more socionics research is stymied by a lack of resources!
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

34, lol

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    That's a good point. A Dominant subtype might deliberately self-monitor in order to achieve a desired effect on their surroundings, whereas a Harmonizing subtype would self-monitor to avoid offending others and preserve the peace.

In order from most likely to self-monitor to least likely to self-monitor, I would speculate it is:

1. Harmonizing
    2. Dominant
    3. Creative
    4. Normalizing

It seems logical to me that Connecting subtypes would be more self-monitoring than Ignoring types, since they're more aware of what's going on in the world around them, and how their actions affect the world.

I think Creative might be more prone to self-monitoring than Normalizing, since Creative is Contacting and therefore interacts more with the world. Normalizing, being Distant, tends to ignore everything that does not infringe upon "his" domain.

Still, this is all speculation. It would be interesting to do a study on whether there's an actual correlation. But alas, once more socionics research is stymied by a lack of resources!
    this sounds right to me. It makes a lot of sense and squares with the people I know.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69er
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not taking the test, but betting I'd be like an effing 100.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably would have been higher a year ago. I certainly have the ability to score 100
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58. Would be higher if not for questions relating to acting and theatre. As Krig put it, it's more about being quiet rather than being someone else. It's also clearly external - like I tend to dress so as not to stand out as ridiculous rather than try to be "original", which seems to be a popular option. Thoughts or beliefs are something I may stay quiet about, if situation makes it pointless to start an argument, but I won't just accept others' opinions if they voice them first. I can't stand people who don't think for themselves.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got 52. I don't think these ask questions geared towards any IE solely, I think just being socially awkward will skew your answers a lot.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"In order to get along and be liked, I tend to be what people expect me to be rather than anything else."
    Yes, but what people expect me to be is who I am. So I just don't change.

"I can look anyone in the eye and tell a lie with a straight face."
    Physically, yes. Morally, no.

"I may deceive people by being friendly when I really dislike them."
    Yes, but I also might say "I've never liked you." during a pleasant conversation wih a smile on my face.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    "I may deceive people by being friendly when I really dislike them."
    Yes, but I also might say "I've never liked you." during a pleasant conversation wih a smile on my face.

Oddly, I almost admire this.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually alter my behavior 'n' self-presentation in different situations so as not to be murdered afterwards due to murder-inviting behavior 'n' self-presentation. I've had some success so far.