Thread: Beta quadra opinion on victim blaming

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beta quadra opinion on victim blaming

I do it quiet a lot. All the time really. I just can't help but think that if some one has problems it's their own fault for not taking care of them or fixing them. I mean if your not strong enough mentally or emotionally to take care of yourself, why should I care about your problems?

I dunno, I know it's wrong but it still get frustrated with people who complain about their circumstances, or their problems as if it's completely out of the realm of their control.
    Easy Day

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It depends on what happened. You're right though, people do play the victim and complain too much when it's their own doing.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    I do it quiet a lot. All the time really. I just can't help but think that if some one has problems it's their own fault for not taking care of them or fixing them. I mean if your not strong enough mentally or emotionally to take care of yourself, why should I care about your problems?

I dunno, I know it's wrong but it still get frustrated with people who complain about their circumstances, or their problems as if it's completely out of the realm of their control.
    Hm, yeah I noticed this a lot in Betas. Definitely not in all of them.

I do the opposite. I try to look for someone's potential abilities (not necessarily what's he's presented so far), and if there's a hindrance or obstacle blocking him, I want to help remove it. I don't really respect people who mistreat the weak, and I tend to see them as cruel, too pre-occupied with short-term results and too stupid to see the big picture.

(No offense).

[EDIT: other quadras aren't exactly off the hook btw.]
    Last edited by xerx; 06-19-2010 at 10:35 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't have weak Ni! God. I love you and you're endearing but please. Stooooop.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I don't have weak Ni! God. I love you and you're endearing but please. Stooooop.
    Ok
    I will stop
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not type-related. Who wouldn't get frustrated with people like that!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy in that video is a douchebag Fe-nonvaluer who needs to get over himself, because not everybody is quiet and not everybody likes quiet people. Sheesh.

@JCW3, eh, I get that, and I see it a lot from Beta STs (and Se-egos in general, really). But there's definitely nothing wrong with being irritated by people who complain too much about their problems, make excuses for everything, etc. That said, sympathy is a good thing, so sometimes you do kinda have to let them whine. On the other other hand, sometimes you gotta know who to whine to and who not to whine to. Beta STs generally =/= the right person to whine to. And whining is (usually) counterproductive. Shrug.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    sometimes you gotta know who to whine to and who not to whine to
    yup.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This could easily turn into a discussion of free will and locus of control, but that would be quite an undertaking and a path down which I do not wish to walk.

I'd just like to state that I understand this viewpoint, yet at the same time, I find it upsetting. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it feels like kicking somebody while they're down and not bothering to consider the full impact of individual and life circumstances. It's easy to blame the victim and assume that people should always have the strength to help themselves. It's more comfortable living in a world where if people would just pick themselves up by their own bootstraps, they would be able accomplish anything. It's the American way, after all, goddamn it.

Don't get me wrong--your position has its place. It inspires people (who evidently have the ability to do so) to become better versions of themselves. On the flip side, it can seem like the opposite approach would be enabling the victim. But I prefer, what I perceive to be, a more balanced approach that doesn't downplay the significance of external factors and overemphasize the single aspect of personal strength.

It's my view that early experiences and inborn characteristics set an individual on a certain "life trajectory." You can imagine it as a graph starting from zero and taking a turn for positive or negative numbers from there. Factors such as poverty, health problems, family system problems, chemical brain imbalance, etc. starts individuals down a path where they are likely to encounter more and more problems. Personal strength and positive outside factors can make your "number" more positive, but that number is being weighed against all of the other variables affecting the net. Essentially, one shouldn't ignore the context of the entire graph.

Finally, the original posts suggests that personal strength is what determines one's self worth with the statement, "...if your (sic) not strong enough mentally or emotionally to take care of yourself, why should I care about your problems?" Sure, you can perceive another person's self worth however you want. I'll keep operating under the idea that, in general, people deserve respect, empathy and contain great human potential that must be nurtured.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh really? What if you're born crippled? Down syndrome? What if your family dies in an accident when you're 5 and you don't have anyone taking care of you? Etc. etc. etc.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Oh really? What if you're born crippled? Down syndrome? What if your family dies in an accident when you're 5 and you don't have anyone taking care of you? Etc. etc. etc.
    Oh shut the fuck up and go be a good boy in real life, you well-programmed sack of shit.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only purpose blame serves is to find who must give reparations. Blaming the victim makes no sense because giving yourself compensation makes no sense. In a nature vs man scenario, there is no agent to blame, so yes, they must deal with what was given to them. If you are talking about a man vs man scenario, blaming the victim is the same as patting the aggressor on the back, which is immoral at best.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Yeah, SLEs I know do that a lot, they seem to think everyone has the same level of self-control as them and therefore if they can be in control of their lives so easily, everyone else would be able to too. And yet they're fine with IEI whining. Wtf. SLEs are weird.
    Yeah, I was gonna say that. If you whine in the right way (overdramatic to the point of being fake generally does it), they usually don't mind so much. I know when I whine I'm simultaneously making fun of myself for whining, so maybe that makes it okay? Anyway, it is funny.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I was gonna say that. If you whine in the right way (overdramatic to the point of being fake generally does it), they usually don't mind so much. I know when I whine I'm simultaneously making fun of myself for whining, so maybe that makes it okay? Anyway, it is funny.
    yep, ever so dramatic... bowed head, small shuffling steps, quivering lip and eyes welling up with tears

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy in that video is a douchebag Fe-nonvaluer who needs to get over himself, because not everybody is quiet and not everybody likes quiet people. Sheesh.
    That's interesting, since I type him INTj.

He could be some sort of a Delta Rational, I guess.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IEI View Post
    yep, ever so dramatic... bowed head, small shuffling steps, quivering lip and eyes welling up with tears
    Aw shit! Who made you cry this time? You want I should punch some face? I can totally punch some face.
    Easy Day

Logical vegetable Existential Potato's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't like him huh?

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

silverchris is a drama queen.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    silverchris is a drama queen.
    Not as much, really. I could definitely behave in a way that would be amenable to that silly person in that video. But I wouldn't want to, and I would want to defend my drama queen friends when he started lecturing them. People don't like overanalyzing hyper-rationalists either, douche.

Aw shit! Who made you cry this time? You want I should punch some face? I can totally punch some face.
    So I guess the trick is you have to go so overboard with the whining that the SLE feels the need to take action on your behalf. That way, everybody gets what they want: the SLE doesn't feel that there's pointless inaction, and the IEI doesn't actually have to *do* anything about their problem. Ah, the mysteries of duality.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And joy returns safe in the knowledge that offenders will be adequately punished

TIM
    IEI!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is definitely most common in betas. It's fine if someone just expresses themselves about a shitty situation - if they are working on it or can't change it. But I hate when betas get really worked up and just bitch and bitch, especially when they don't even have any real problems. It's the worst with IEIs because (or just E4s);
    they are good at manipulating you so will make you feel like a bitch for telling them to calm down.
    they are normally 4 victims so don't take responsibility for anything.
    all they do is bitch and moan.

Shut the fuck up and deal with it. This was just one IEI. But he nearly put me off for life.

I've only seen it in betas. And some SEE girl.
    IEI, sp/sx 4w3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As harsh as how you react to people who complain may seem. It does the IEI some good. We want to be taken seriously but not too seriously. The help we need to take care of our problems usually is just motivation.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by systm919 View Post
    As harsh as how you react to people who complain may seem. It does the IEI some good. We want to be taken seriously but not too seriously. The help we need to take care of our problems usually is just motivation.
    IEI-Fe 4w3