Thread: Differences between Enneagram types 7w6 and 6w7

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Differences between Enneagram types 7w6 and 6w7

What are the main differences between those two types? I identify with both.
    Stan is not my real name.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I understand the allure most people feel towards being sx first but dude, common, you are the most social butterfly'y person ever, you know every one. Like legit everyone, how do you think you are sx over so? sp last doesn't make much sense either seeing as your not generally the one to throw caution to the wind and indulge in a little self destructivity. Or atleast not recently, It could be argued that you have become unhealthy recently, I would accept that.

In anycase I think 6w7 makes more sense to me.

Not Wholly In Vain...: 6w7 vs 7w6
    Easy Day

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Well I understand the allure most people feel towards being sx first but dude, common, you are the most social butterfly'y person ever, you know every one. Like legit everyone, how do you think you are sx over so? sp last doesn't make much sense either seeing as your not generally the one to throw caution to the wind and indulge in a little self destructivity. Or atleast not recently, It could be argued that you have become unhealthy recently, I would accept that.

In anycase I think 6w7 makes more sense to me.

Not Wholly In Vain...: 6w7 vs 7w6
    You may be right about the unhealthy thing, I hadn't thought of that. I've definitely been much less confident recently. I'm fairly positive I'm sx first though (even though I'm a social butterfly), remember when I proclaimed to be "socially fulfilled" and completely OK with my life because I had a two best friends and a girlfriend?

That article pretty much solidifies that I'm one of those two types, but I still don't know which.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gauging by your attitude and general temperament here on the forum, I would say that 6w7 is vastly more likely for you.

The basics:

Harmonics

6s are reactive. When faced with stress or a direct challenge, their first response is to react emotionally. 6s manifest anxiety and fear, in varying degrees and presentations, as a way of drawing the support of others; their basic fear is that of lacking support, and it manifests under stress as reaching out to others for support, or, in the case of the counterphobic 6, internalizing their reactions and lashing out at others while "making do" on their own. They are prone to overestimate the severity of their situation, because their emotional response to it is so strong, and react in compensatory fashion, often doing more than is necessary to avert danger.

7s are positive outlook. They react to problems with escapism and an attitude that "everything will be ok." This is a derivative of their basic fixation: that of escaping internal pain, fleeing from it by assuming the best and making the most of whatever they find within their grasp. They are prone to underestimate the severity of their situation, and be caught in negligence of their problems.

Social Styles

6s are Compliant in their social dealings. They tend to act either in accord or directly against what they feel is expected of them in a given environment, depending on their orientation (phobic or counterphobic). Counterphobic 6s often look like Assertive styles (esp. with a 7 wing) in that they seem to "go against the grain" (Hunter S. Thompson and Georgia O'Keefe are good examples of this), but in reality their stance is a reactionary one, rather than that of asserting their own values.

7s exhibit the Assertive social style. They tend to embody their own values, which they rarely contemplate or doubt. They are often extremists in terms of fashion, proclaimed views or values, and generally what they present to the world at large. 7s with a 6 wing tend to be somewhat more "nervous" about this than those with an 8 wing, but have a sort of stubborn, almost naive willfulness about them, rather than the counterphobic 6s determination to assert themselves, or the 6s typically willful compliance.

Object Relations

6s have Attachment object relations. They tend to find something they value and latch on to it. This is usually most obvious in their intellectual and intimate pursuits: they want very much to hold on to the things that they feel anchor them in reality and in the concrete world. 6s are fearful at their core, and need to feel that they have support structures that are there to back them up if anything goes wrong; they tend to become disconcerted, even distraught or frantic, when an idea or relationship that they place high stakes in is subjected to disturbance.

7s have Frustration object relations. 7w6's tend to flit from one thing to the next, always in search of the next high, the next best friend, the next intellectual pursuit, etc. They often make and break friendships easily, and tend to be wanderers. They will often latch on to a new idea, friend, hobby, or pursuit of some kind, master or exhaust or wring it dry as quickly as possible, and move on to the next, often with a sense of wist or frustration coming from the 6wing, but ultimately resigned to a sort of perpetual internal impermanence.

------

From a more generalized standpoint, 7w6s are one of the "lightest" types, often very sociable, friendly, and ingratiating; 6w7s may be very sociable, but they often have a core group of friends with which they surround themselves. It may be a looser collective, but as long as they know they have people to rely on, they are ok, even if it's not always the same ones; 7w6s are the most socially flighty of any type in the socion, often moving from one social group or "best pal" to the next, always with the internal assumption that they will eventually tire of their attzachments, feeling restricted by the connections and frustrated at having exhausted how "interesting" certain people can be, and that something new or better can and will come along eventually.

6s of all kinds harbor internal anxiety almost constantly, although 6w7s are less continuously aware of it because they are more likely than 5 wings to engage in social escapism and various indulgences, whereas the 6w5 tends to be rather ascetic socially, apart from what is necessary to maintain their social needs, expansion of interests, and sense of security. sx-first 6w7s tend to be reliable, steady friends who are always there when their inner circle needs them, ready to answer the phone at night or pull you out of a sticky situation; 6s often project in the sense that they want to be relied upon so that they will be able to rely on others in return.

My impression: I would say with reasonable confidence that you are a cp 6w7 sx/so. You seem too contained, too emotionally edgy, and not inherently light-hearted enough to be a 7w6, ESPECIALLY for an Ne dominant. sx 7w6s are one of the most socially engaged and engaging types; you strike me as far too self-contained and steady to be a 7 of any kind. What you say about having 2 best friends and a girlfriend, and feeling "satisfied" with that, speaks to Object Attachment relations, and the resulting typical tendency of a 6 to establish an emotional support system and maintain/stick to it.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! This helps a lot!