Thread: Being type resistant

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Being type resistant

We've all ran into those people in the course of our socionics adventures who are resistant to being typed. They don't want to be forced into any box and no matter how much explaining you do they still claim that they exist outside the theory entirely, or rather it's easy to tell that that's what they aim for.

In my case it's alphas. More specifically the alpha introverts, even more specifically LII's.

I'd be really interested to see if there is some correlation between the user's type and the group that is most resistant to their typings.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... LII's don't think they are LII's?
    I'm confuzzled.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shrug. One of my best friends (who I have eventualy settled on as ILI), was very resistant to having a socionics type, partially 'cause we started with MBTI, which really didn't work on her at all. But she's actually ILI.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    So... LII's don't think they are LII's?
    I'm confuzzled.
    I'm LII with a 95% confidence interval since there's a small chance I could be something else.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooooooo you mean people who don't know of the theory yet. Nevermind.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE in my expirience, maybe SEE too...Ti theories don't jive as well with them. And ESE then LSE because of Ni polr.

Edit: switching LSE ahead of ESE for usage at least of socionics once they "get" it. ESE more likely to agree once they are shown it.
    Last edited by jughead; 06-19-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My LSE Dad didn't like the idea of the theory, no matter how much positive evidence I threw at him. He seemed awed for a bit when the intertype relations descriptions matched well tho.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't appreciate my aversion to pigeonholing being pigeonholed.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far, in my experience, LIIs have loved being put in boxes. As long as the box is accurate. That's not to say there aren't any who would resist it, but it seems to me that Ti lends itself to that sort of thing.

In my experience so far, it's the Serious quadras that most resist being typed (rejecting Ti).

I would expect SEEs and ESIs would hate it, though I've never tried to convince one of them of their type.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one supposed LII didn't get it at first and thought it was some stupid horoscope
    wait make that TWO
    actually make at first into: they never looked into it seriously

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would guess a couple of things, such as there not being a great deal of introspection that they identify with too much or nothing at all. Resistant implies to me that they don't want to be constrained to a "type," but assuming they are a part of this community, type others, so it doesn't really make sense to me. If you look at Socionics more as a lens to observe yourself or other people through, I think you can easily settle with the idea of having a type and being confident that it doesn't sum up who you are (so, could to with a lack of understanding as well). So I don't really see it as type related, though I feel like I can count on one hand the ones that post often, so it seems like too small of a sample to say anything about.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, ILIs. Most other people i knew who were type resistant were doing it for ideological reasons, ILIs were doing it because they thought it was nonsense.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the biggest part of this "type resistance" is actually the fault of the person who presents the theory. Explaining socionics and typing someone is just not the way to go. You don't come with a box and tell people to get in. The best success I had was with mentioning this interesting personality theory - yes, I know psychological types, the former sounds better though - via IM and sending them a link to the test - I use sociotype.com. It's irrelevant if the test works for them or not, once people do it and try to identify with the type, you can suggest alternatives; the point is, they're in.

Most resistant to typing turned out to be EII. I did suspect LII at first, but he isn't one.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had this experience with a couple ESFx's and an IEE psych major who was dissatisfied by the lack of empiricism...
    Stan is not my real name.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    I would expect SEEs and ESIs would hate it, though I've never tried to convince one of them of their type.
    Not so much in my experience, but it's a funny thing. One of my best friends tested as ILI (He kept trying to justify it), and I knew there was no way in hell that was the case until one day it finally hit me; He's the most sterotyped SEE ever, then I showed him the SEE page and explained it to him a little and now whenever socionics comes up in conversation along with typing he exclaims "I KNOW MY TYPE! I'm... SEE? Right?"
    Easy Day

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think to truly be type resistant, you must first kill yourself. You don't seem so prideful anymore, do ya.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, ILIs. Most other people i knew who were type resistant were doing it for ideological reasons, ILIs were doing it because they thought it was nonsense.

Edit:but again I will give slightly more resistance to Fi/Te quadras considering its a Ne/Ti theory and the Ne and Til polrs moreso.
    Last edited by jughead; 06-19-2010 at 08:56 PM.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ESIs were the hardest to type until I met an EII-Ne.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is, I identify with SLI, ILI, LII, SEI, and EII, but not one more-so in particular. I remember hearing somewhere that that means I'm EII, but when I read up on the functions and the descriptions of the type it really doesn't fit any better than the others. Maybe I'll figure it out given enough time. It's not my intention to manipulate in this way by not having a type.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really speak with anyone I know about Socionics in any great depth except for my mother, LSE-Si, who is a certified MBTI practitioner/trainer/whatever. My dad, EII-Fi, shows mild interest, but mostly only to engage me in discussion. My sister is SEI-Fe, and I have spoken with her about it in minor detail, but typically all that ever comes of that is her saying that I should pursue psychology professionally. The most resistant person to discussing any of my interests in psychology is my best friend, SEE-Se, who tends to think that most of my intellectual pursuits are pretentious and irritating.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pinnochio: i was reqouting an above post, and responding to that .
    ILI I know is open briefly to its discussion but it never went past a 2 minute conversation and he can't be bothered to read and learn about it himself to decide. And then he turns his critics eye on the te aspect of me wasting time on a forum etc.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jughead you're Ni-IEI right?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    ESIs were the hardest to type until I met an EII-Ne.
    yeah

UI think meeting people of the SAME type who are different helps you a lot, because it allows you to see more clearly what socionics is about - and what it is not about.