Thread: INTps mobilizing: what are ILIs like in crisis situations?

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INTps mobilizing: what are ILIs like in crisis situations?

What are you like in crisis situations? Would you say you mobilise in emergencies, or not?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    What are you like in crisis situations? Would you say you mobilise in emergencies, or not?
    Depends totally on the nature of the crisis.
    Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

I've been thinking how to explain this, but all I can seriously say is that I don't really act until the situation requires it. Sometimes I perversely procrastinate until the last possible moment when I absolutely have to do something. Stress is mobilizing for me, always was, though in longer term still affects my health, as any other mortal's, I fear. In other words, I'm one of those people who can be counted on to pass an exam, but who won't do a huge assignment really well - because I work in bursts, and yes, this is stress related in my case. I was always annoyed by people complaining about being stressed and doing worse in exams, because it limits examination in favor of tedious work - which people don't even always do themselves. In situations of minor crisis I do fine, at least relatively, though I think it has more to do with thinking ahead as opposed to planning - I find that most people who fail in these are those who try to stick to their previous plan as close as possible, which stops them from assessing the situation accurately. I have no experience in dealing with really serious crisis, so I cannot claim being able to do so, though I hope I'd do well. But the answer is, I do mobilize in emergencies much better - or rather, at all.

Emotional-related crisises aren't crisises. They're catastrophes, and therefore don't qualify.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
    Depends totally on the nature of the crisis.
    This is how my mom would respond...and my 4 other ILI relations.

Nature of crisis would be what kind of thing Ragnar? Would you offer and example of what is nature that you're refering to ?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    Yes.

I've been thinking how to explain this, but all I can seriously say is that I don't really act until the situation requires it. Sometimes I perversely procrastinate until the last possible moment when I absolutely have to do something. Stress is mobilizing for me, always was, though in longer term still affects my health, as any other mortal's, I fear. In other words, I'm one of those people who can be counted on to pass an exam, but who won't do a huge assignment really well - because I work in bursts, and yes, this is stress related in my case. I was always annoyed by people complaining about being stressed and doing worse in exams, because it limits examination in favor of tedious work - which people don't even always do themselves. In situations of minor crisis I do fine, at least relatively, though I think it has more to do with thinking ahead as opposed to planning - I find that most people who fail in these are those who try to stick to their previous plan as close as possible, which stops them from assessing the situation accurately. I have no experience in dealing with really serious crisis, so I cannot claim being able to do so, though I hope I'd do well. But the answer is, I do mobilize in emergencies much better - or rather, at all.
    Ok, but I think you're talking about pressure situations which you can foresee occurring (e.g. exams). What about things that pop out of nowhere that you have to suddenly deal with? E.g. you're involved in an accident or something with people, and suddenly have to take charge, deal with people, decide what to do etc?

Emotional-related crisises aren't crisises. They're catastrophes, and therefore don't qualify.
    haha (c:

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, but I think you're talking about pressure situations which you can foresee occurring (e.g. exams). What about things that pop out of nowhere that you have to suddenly deal with? E.g. you're involved in an accident or something with people, and suddenly have to take charge, deal with people, decide what to do etc?
    You mean like waking up at about 5 am to smoke and realizing kitchen downstairs is burning? I tend not to panic, yes. I see how the examples given might have been misleading, but no, it rather frustrates me beforehand when they're expected, "hang over me", though the tension alone is not enough to mobilize me into action, hence procrastination and stuff. Then again, sudden shock is never good, you need a moment to realize what is happening, so I don't know how quick this assessment of the situation is, in comparison - maybe I'd seem slow to some people here.

I kinda think I might be needing more Se in my life. Do you have some?

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean like waking up at about 5 am to smoke and realizing kitchen downstairs is burning? I tend not to panic, yes. I see how the examples given might have been misleading, but no, it rather frustrates me beforehand when they're expected, "hang over me", though the tension alone is not enough to mobilize me into action, hence procrastination and stuff. Then again, sudden shock is never good, you need a moment to realize what is happening, so I don't know how quick this assessment of the situation is, in comparison - maybe I'd seem slow to some people here.

Erm probably not enough to spare. :-p I operate much like you do, from the sound of things..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paralysis by analysis?
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I've even heard an ILI speak the word "crisis."

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    Paralysis by analysis?
    Is that what you read there? I just don't panic and run around frantically trying do to something no matter what and succeeding at nothing, which is a rather common reaction. But I don't know how quick or slow this assessment of situation is, so I'm not going to make claims.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Persuasion, when Henrietta gets injured, there's a perfect description of Anne (ILI) reacting to a crisis, and SEE-ILI duality between Anne and Captain Wentworth. It's too long to quote the whole thing, but I'll quote a bit of it:

Captain Wentworth, who had caught her up, knelt with her in his arms,
    looking on her with a face as pallid as her own, in an agony of
    silence. "She is dead! she is dead!" screamed Mary, catching hold of
    her husband, and contributing with his own horror to make him
    immoveable; and in another moment, Henrietta, sinking under the
    conviction, lost her senses too, and would have fallen on the steps,
    but for Captain Benwick and Anne, who caught and supported her between
    them.

"Is there no one to help me?" were the first words which burst from
    Captain Wentworth, in a tone of despair, and as if all his own strength
    were gone.

"Go to him, go to him," cried Anne, "for heaven's sake go to him. I
    can support her myself. Leave me, and go to him. Rub her hands, rub
    her temples; here are salts; take them, take them."

Captain Benwick obeyed, and Charles at the same moment, disengaging
    himself from his wife, they were both with him; and Louisa was raised
    up and supported more firmly between them, and everything was done that
    Anne had prompted, but in vain; while Captain Wentworth, staggering
    against the wall for his support, exclaimed in the bitterest agony--

"Oh God! her father and mother!"

"A surgeon!" said Anne.

He caught the word; it seemed to rouse him at once, and saying only--
    "True, true, a surgeon this instant," was darting away, when Anne
    eagerly suggested--

"Captain Benwick, would not it be better for Captain Benwick? He knows
    where a surgeon is to be found."

Every one capable of thinking felt the advantage of the idea, and in a
    moment (it was all done in rapid moments) Captain Benwick had resigned
    the poor corpse-like figure entirely to the brother's care, and was
    off for the town with the utmost rapidity.

As to the wretched party left behind, it could scarcely be said which
    of the three, who were completely rational, was suffering most: Captain
    Wentworth, Anne, or Charles, who, really a very affectionate brother,
    hung over Louisa with sobs of grief, and could only turn his eyes from
    one sister, to see the other in a state as insensible, or to witness
    the hysterical agitations of his wife, calling on him for help which he
    could not give.

Anne, attending with all the strength and zeal, and thought, which
    instinct supplied, to Henrietta, still tried, at intervals, to suggest
    comfort to the others, tried to quiet Mary, to animate Charles, to
    assuage the feelings of Captain Wentworth. Both seemed to look to her
    for directions.

"Anne, Anne," cried Charles, "What is to be done next? What, in
    heaven's name, is to be done next?"

Captain Wentworth's eyes were also turned towards her.

"Had not she better be carried to the inn? Yes, I am sure: carry her
    gently to the inn."

"Yes, yes, to the inn," repeated Captain Wentworth, comparatively
    collected, and eager to be doing something. "I will carry her myself.
    Musgrove, take care of the others."
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    I don't think I've even heard an ILI speak the word "crisis."
    We'll have to check your posts of last month when you were still ILI.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not an ILI, but I'll take the freedom to answer, because I find the topic interesting.

I am at my best in crisis situations. When other people freak out or get distracted, I know exactly what to do and how to utilize resources effectively. That's when I operate the best. Same thing when I'm faced with deadlines or ultimatums.

This may only be partially related, but I sometimes feel that if I constantly had goals and deadlines imposed on me, or if I had a job where I'd have to deal with critical situations where painstaking concentrated effort was required, I'd get a whole lot more accomplished in life, and actually become a contributing member of society.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    Do you smoke?
    No.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes; gamma perceivers are always serious and decisive, basically they watch everyone like a pack of vultures and strike like lightning when deemed necessary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i saw a fire in the kitchen, i would finish what i was doing first (if it only takes a few seconds) then depending on how severe, walk/powerwalk to try to put it out. (if it was not manageable, call for help, take what's most valuable in the house, then go wait outside.)

i never run in emergencies, unless my life depends on it. (but. i still think it's embarrassing to run for my life.) i don't like over-fixing (i don't know why, but i find it embarrassing) a problem, so sometimes i just observe the *fire* trying to access it first for a few seconds and then try to fix it, without overkill. overkill is last resort. i think, i find it really embarrassing to panic. i worry about that, sometimes more then the actual emergency, and i think about looking overly cautious. i don't like people to know that i prepare.

but i like to prepare (not too excessively) for emergencies, and if i can't, at least in my head. i find it good fun sometimes to think up end-of-the-world scenarios and figuring out what to do next. also, when in some situations people don't know what to do, i like to offer advice or direct what next to do. otherwise i like to let people handle it.

also, though ILI clicks so far, i am really not sure. please don't take what i said too seriously.
    Last edited by aeon; 06-25-2010 at 12:11 PM.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Nature of crisis would be what kind of thing Ragnar?
    I'm probably untypical, even minor things can be paralyzing, esp. issues requiring mastery of Fe and Si and general mastery of the social intrigues.

Ni-related problems otoh don't register as "crisis", I can imagine they would be with say SEIs.

I really try hard to live as boring a life as possible, so I don't really have many good examples.
    Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

Creepy-Cyclops

I'm beginning to think that 'maybe' is the best word for anything that's type related.

Creepy-Korpsey

I'm usually a world class procrastinator, and in the social sphere I routinely subject everything to so much analysis that I frequently lose opportunities to act. However, when it comes to fires, fights, or other dangerous situations I will quickly step in and take action. Time seems to stretch out so that even if it only takes a few seconds for an entire scenario to play out it feels like I can examine and plan my moment-to-moment options in detail. I tend to remain relaxed and focused, but if I've got incompetent or hysterical people around me they might get chased away with a fusillade of profanity before I cool down and resume what I was doing. Once everything is all done I'm sheepish or even irritable about receiving compliments, though mainly as a means of suppressing my emotions or insulating myself from others'.
    Last edited by Korpsey; 10-11-2010 at 09:36 AM.

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a crisis situation there's no time to think, only to act.

For things that worry me or potential crisis situations, I tend to think through them in advance and then this is stored as a little program in my brain that (hopefully) is recalled accurately and 'runs' if that situations was ever to occur.

Examles.

WHAT IF... there's a fire somewhere. In the kitchen there's towels, a bucket, and a fire extinguisher. In the laundry room (gas powered dryer) there's also a fire extinguisher. My phone is typically on me at all times, even in our house (cellular) so I can dial 911 in an instant, put it on speaker and yell FIRE along with our address.

WHAT IF... there's a home intrusion. I have a number of firearms strategically placed throughout the house for an 'optimum response' such that I can get to them in an instant if needed, and have adequate cover. I also practice at the shooting range at distances that I've measured in our house that are the most likely defensive points. I've also thought carefully about the attributes of each weapon, and which I would want for particular situations. At night if I "think" I hear something but am not sure and need to check it out, I grab one particular weapon. If we "KNOW" we've heard something I grab another one, which makes a very loud and obvious noise when you chamber a round which might make the would be home intruder think twice about what they're doing and possibly turn around, and will also blow very big holes in things.

WHAT IF... there's a car accident. Assuming it doesn't involve you you've gotta call 911 in the US to get first responders on the scene ASAP. While you're on the phone with dispatch start assessing the conditions of people involved so that you can relay that info to the dispatcher and in turn first responders. One thing I'm horrible at is remembering road names. Where's the accident? I'm at uhhh...aahhhh.. ummm... shit! This is why they've put GPS into a lot of phones, or tower triangulation algortihms that can figure out where you are for you, because in panic mode situations like this it can be easy to not be able to accurately relay exactly where you are.

WHAT IF... there's a terrorist attack in DC or other man-made or natural disaster, there are riots or whatever, all hell breaks loose, and we seriously need to get the hell out of Dodge. Have not seriously thought about this because it's highly unlikely, but a buddy of mine who actually works downtown in DC has a much more elaborate escape plan that includes keeping a bike stored at his office since all of the roads will be jammed. Would take awhile, but he could ride his bike home on bike paths while everybody else is stuck in traffic, LOL. Not sure if he still has his bike at work, but post-9/11 this was on everybody's minds. Assuming somebody pops a nuke in DC, we're out of the blast zone and to the north and west with prevailing winds going west to east, so radioactive fallout isn't a big concern either as it would be if we were directly to the east of the city. Given how difficult it would be to get out of here with so many people and so few roads, I think I'd be more likely to hunker down for a day or two before evacuating, if possible. Otherwise, I do have a general idea of what to bring. We have a lot of dry food stored that will stay good for awhile, I always keep a case of bottled water in the basement, my amateur radio set if we really get "off grid", weapons and ammo, and an emergency 12V power supply. Need to get a power inverter.

The house fire, home intrusion, and car accidents both involving me or not involving me are all situations I've dealt with. Hopefully I'll never have to deal with the last one. I think I'm actually more inclined to take charge in a true crisis situation especially if it's something I've thought through before, because chances are good I've thought of things that others haven't that might be important to think of or could make a significant difference in the outcome.

There was recently a car accident around here involving a pedestrian strike. The person landed on the driver's windshield and the person in the car just sat there. Didn't get out to see if the person was ok, didn't call 911, didn't do anything. Just sat there. Witnesses did all of that stuff. Fortunately the person that got hit was ok, but the driver of the car apparently went into some sort of panic / full lock up mode where they froze up, so good thing there were witnesses around that stopped to help and get other people on the scene. Can't say that I've ever locked up like that. I wasn't involved with that one at all.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just jump in and get it done, not an ILI though

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevENTj View Post

For things that worry me or potential crisis situations, I tend to think through them in advance and then this is stored as a little program in my brain that (hopefully) is recalled accurately and 'runs' if that situations was ever to occur.

Examles.

WHAT IF... there's a fire somewhere. In the kitchen there's towels, a bucket, and a fire extinguisher. In the laundry room (gas powered dryer) there's also a fire extinguisher. My phone is typically on me at all times, even in our house (cellular) so I can dial 911 in an instant, put it on speaker and yell FIRE along with our address.

WHAT IF... there's a home intrusion. I have a number of firearms strategically placed throughout the house for an 'optimum response' such that I can get to them in an instant if needed, and have adequate cover. I also practice at the shooting range at distances that I've measured in our house that are the most likely defensive points. I've also thought carefully about the attributes of each weapon, and which I would want for particular situations. At night if I "think" I hear something but am not sure and need to check it out, I grab one particular weapon. If we "KNOW" we've heard something I grab another one, which makes a very loud and obvious noise when you chamber a round which might make the would be home intruder think twice about what they're doing and possibly turn around, and will also blow very big holes in things.

WHAT IF... there's a car accident. Assuming it doesn't involve you you've gotta call 911 in the US to get first responders on the scene ASAP. While you're on the phone with dispatch start assessing the conditions of people involved so that you can relay that info to the dispatcher and in turn first responders. One thing I'm horrible at is remembering road names. Where's the accident? I'm at uhhh...aahhhh.. ummm... shit! This is why they've put GPS into a lot of phones, or tower triangulation algortihms that can figure out where you are for you, because in panic mode situations like this it can be easy to not be able to accurately relay exactly where you are.

WHAT IF... there's a terrorist attack in DC or other man-made or natural disaster, there are riots or whatever, all hell breaks loose, and we seriously need to get the hell out of Dodge. Have not seriously thought about this because it's highly unlikely, but a buddy of mine who actually works downtown in DC has a much more elaborate escape plan that includes keeping a bike stored at his office since all of the roads will be jammed. Would take awhile, but he could ride his bike home on bike paths while everybody else is stuck in traffic, LOL. Not sure if he still has his bike at work, but post-9/11 this was on everybody's minds. Assuming somebody pops a nuke in DC, we're out of the blast zone and to the north and west with prevailing winds going west to east, so radioactive fallout isn't a big concern either as it would be if we were directly to the east of the city. Given how difficult it would be to get out of here with so many people and so few roads, I think I'd be more likely to hunker down for a day or two before evacuating, if possible. Otherwise, I do have a general idea of what to bring. We have a lot of dry food stored that will stay good for awhile, I always keep a case of bottled water in the basement, my amateur radio set if we really get "off grid", weapons and ammo, and an emergency 12V power supply. Need to get a power inverter.

The house fire, home intrusion, and car accidents both involving me or not involving me are all situations I've dealt with. Hopefully I'll never have to deal with the last one. I think I'm actually more inclined to take charge in a true crisis situation especially if it's something I've thought through before, because chances are good I've thought of things that others haven't that might be important to think of or could make a significant difference in the outcome.

There was recently a car accident around here involving a pedestrian strike. The person landed on the driver's windshield and the person in the car just sat there. Didn't get out to see if the person was ok, didn't call 911, didn't do anything. Just sat there. Witnesses did all of that stuff. Fortunately the person that got hit was ok, but the driver of the car apparently went into some sort of panic / full lock up mode where they froze up, so good thing there were witnesses around that stopped to help and get other people on the scene. Can't say that I've ever locked up like that. I wasn't involved with that one at all.
    I could see some people calling this paranoid. I call it prepared .
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevENTj View Post

Examles.

I pretty much think in the same way, only not so broadly. My scenarios are limited to what I think could happen in the present and very near future, and more towards my immediate situations and surroundings.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.