TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default memory issues

Hi.
    Normally, my memory isn't that good, I quickly learn vocabulary and I know a large amount of trivia stuff, but I can forget where I placed my glasses some seconds after I put them down or I don't know what I ate yesterday for lunch as an example. (So it's mainly the short-term memory which fails me occasionally.)

But sometimes – nowadays more often than in the past – I am very good at recognizing voices or parts of songs I heard before, also in different contexts. It's like a sudden realization without much thinking about it. For example: If I watch an American show on TV, I can often tell you the other roles of the voice actor who dubs the american actors. Another one: Did you ever notice the similarities of the songs "The Changeling" by The Doors and "Funkytown" by Lipps Inc? (Maybe this is commonly known, but everybody I asked didn't know it.)

I don't know if it's type realted, the only function I can think of which could be used here is , in the matter of storing data and facts and remembering them. That would be my 3rd function. What do you think?
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think its incredibly type related or written in stone. Sure has to do with "attaching oneself to what is known in certainty of the real world" but doesn't imply that the person will have the greatest memory. An LIE for example might have a great memory for his own thoughts and concepts, but chose not to know or care about where his toothbrush is. I know some sensors though with pretty great memory, much better than mine, even though I will sometimes remember simple stuff from a much longer time ago than they and they won't have any idea what I'm talking about. But they'll remember detail for detail about stuff happening around them of more recent, that I will not have the capacity for.

My friend will bring up, "hey remember this?" I will be confused for a while, until I realize he's talking about what just happened yesterday. You'll never know how good your memory really is in the context of your interests, until you actually remember.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Specific and selective memory is common with all types depending on the information that they value, so don't worry, everyone has that problem.

Knowing large amount of trivial stuff is Te because Te needs to collect large amount of real information that function provides Ne -which does not know which information is real or not, the assurance that the trivial thing that they are getting stuck in is not "real". Yet another reason why my mom and I get along so well, because Te knows which information is objectively real or not and when my head gets lost in theory and conceptual thinking ( Se and Ne are conceptual thinking functions ) she can use her Te to ground me with reality, by saying "well, honey, there is this situation and that information you should also look at"
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 06-07-2010 at 04:22 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni is most related to long term memory. Short term memory I am not sure about. Your short term memory doesn't do well if you have anxiety problems. It may be you just are experiencing a temporary alleviation of anxiety on the days your short term memory is functioning better.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    Why?
    (note that I didn't suggest that Plynex is an Ne type)
    Maybe Ne, I remember Einstein saying he had the same problem and resorted to keeping a small journal in his pocket where he recorded the names of the people he encountered and kept it in his person at all times, as well as phone numbers because he selected to remember only physics ideas and some broad sweeping generalizations about the development of certain trends.

See, I think Einstein's journal keeping idea (Ne) to be very resourcefull, so I keep it in my directory for resourceful ideas and remember those above people's phone numbers.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 06-07-2010 at 08:21 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember things unless they gather my attention with something (...)
    That's exactly the point. Except different people pay attention to different things.

It happens to me sometimes that someone starts talking to me and I don't think I've ever met them... then it turns out we were in the same class last semester (or for the last two years, in one case) and I simply never paid them any attention.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My memory's horrible these days, probably because I'm not sleeping and I often feel lost in la la land. Remembering things like what I ate yesterday are definitely not sticking so much these days.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Plynex View Post
    I don't know if it's type realted, the only function I can think of which could be used here is , in the matter of storing data and facts and remembering them. That would be my 3rd function. What do you think?
    I think you might be confusing the Myers-Briggs definition of with the socionics one. The socionics definition of according to Wikisocion. There is no mention here about storing data and facts and remembering them.

Introverted sensing () is an irrational, introverted, and dynamic information element. It is also referred to as Si, S, experiential sensing, or white sensing.
    is associated with the ability to internalize sensations and to experience them in full detail.
    focuses on tangible, direct (external) connections (introverted) between processes (dynamic) happening in one time, i.e. the physical, sensual experience of interactions between objects. This leads to an awareness of internal tangible physical states and how various physical fluctuations or substances are directly transferred between objects, such as motion, temperature, or dirtiness. The awareness of these tangible physical processes consequently leads to an awareness of health, or an optimum balance with one's environment. The individual physical reaction to concrete surroundings is main way we perceive and define aesthetics, comfort, convenience, and pleasure.
    In contrast to extroverted sensing (), is related to following one's own needs instead of focusing on some externally-driven conception of what is necessary to acquire or achieve. So, whereas ego types feel capable to evaluate how justified others' preferences are, ego types will try to adjust to them in any way possible (given that it does not extremely affect their own comfort), wishing to minimize conflict.
    In contrast to introverted intuition (), is about direct interaction and unity (or discord) with one's surroundings, rather than abstract process and causal links.
    Types that value prefer to spend their time doing enjoyable activities rather than straining themselves to achieve goals. They like to believe that if activities are done with enjoyment, people will give them more effort and time, and also becoming more skilled at what they are doing in the long run. They believe that goals should suit people's intrinsic needs rather than shaped by the demands and constraints of the external world, and so do not try to force others into doing things they don't want to do. They also try to be easygoing and pleasant, preferring peaceful coexistence to conflict, except when their personal well-being or comfort is directly at stake.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember things unless they gather my attention with something or make logical sense, this is why I'm very bad at memorizing by heart - for example names, new terms that are not directly useful.
    Of course, if certain events catch our interest or influence us it is much easier to remember them. I think this not type related. But what I'm talking about is primarily the sudden remembrance without any effort. Do you know what I mean? I'm also not good at remembering names.

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I think you might be confusing the Myers-Briggs definition of with the socionics one. The socionics definition of according to Wikisocion. There is no mention here about storing data and facts and remembering them.
    You are fully right. It was my fault to confuse these both definitions and I also thought that they would be more or less the same. Rather less, I suppose.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You remember things better that relate to your ego functions.
    Stan is not my real name.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
    You remember things better that relate to your ego functions.
    Yeah probably. I have to put a lot of effort and concentration into remembering things like physical details, data, application/procedure and structure.
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure, you mean when you suddenly recall something you required previously, but could not do it that time? Then you don't think about it and it just comes?
    Well, more like: "Oh, I heard this song before... No, it wasn't actually the same song, but this part sound very similar."

But what you said is also common, I think. Sometimes I just can't remember a word, a name or something like this, no matter how long I think about it. But then, maybe some days later I suddenly remember, even if I did not even think of it.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I get it now. So you remember the other song as well (name, band, etc)? I have something like this, but these similarities make me put the parts into some "general lines" and only when it happens to coincidentally hear the songs shortly one after another I can make the connection and just jump up and tell everyone .
    Not sure whether I'm on the same issue with you, lol!
    Haha, yeah I reacted similar in some situations. :wink:
    Yes, I think we're talking about the same issue, I understand what you mean. It's actually like you said. If I hear those similarities, those other details also cross my mind.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are the keywords for LSI, your agenda is obvious.
    My agenda!
    Have you learned nothing from ThePirate?
    EII INFj

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I learn from what I see. With any occasion you express how hard you find everything connected to Ti, though instead of using current examples, you use the exact associated keywords which IMO Fi types find not so easy to verbalize. Eg I never heard an EII or ESI saying that they're against "structure" or "data" or whatever.

Regardless of whether I'm right or wrong, this is not the first occasion you do this, so this is just how you come off.
    I didn't say I was against it, I stated that I find it difficult to remember this type of information. Perhaps this is further due to a language barrier, idk, but structure doesn't exclusively apply to Ti, it's the entire basis of deconstructing or building information in order to understand how the system or application works, which can be any logical skill.
    I personally don't feel a need to write examples (unless I'm asked) of this since I assume most people here are either proficient in English to understand what I mean, or at the very least can use a dictionary

You should listen to what ThePirate is trying to get across to you, in that you have a hindrance with understanding both the English language and people to be able to actually apply Socionics, at least from what I can see
    EII INFj

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinocchio,

I concede, you are the barer of truth and everyone here who disagrees with you are morons who just can't grasp what you, exclusively, have been able to figure out with your unprecedented skills in Socionics
    I will no longer argue against my true typing, LSI, for that would be like disputing with God himself, as I simply don't possess the gift which he has given to you and you alone
    EII INFj

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Ti poLR

You found GOLD!!!

More proof of Ti PoLR.
    Maritsa, just because you find evidence of a weak or unvalued function doesn't mean that element is their PoLR.
    Stan is not my real name.