Thread: Means of relaxation, a serious issue

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Means of relaxation, a serious issue

Sex, drugs, or anything else dependant upon something outside of yourself don't count here.

I seem to be having some problems relaxing, and I'm looking for advice on how to do this. Even though I consider my lifestyle to be relatively easy and stress free, I think I've developed a stress/tension related sort of injury in my foot. A certain cluster of nerves/vains is swollen, and from time to time it twitches, oddly. I'm getting it looked at tomorrow, but I suspect if is mostly a tension thing.

So... what's a good thing to to do calm down yourself, specifically your body?

I don't even recognize the tensions I maintain at times, and sometimes it's even worse when I know I have to turn if off but I cannot. I spent the rest of my day after classes laying in my bed, with my laptop, and didn't allow myself to do any work (though slacking off isn't too hard to do, anyways). But at least it was reasonable - my foot, that is: on the way home from my classes today, it was really sort of uncomfortable, but I think that is because I was nervous, and maybe over reacting. I walked to the health center, and they said I'd have to come back tomorrow because they were booked today. Unfortunately, the health center is quite opposite of where I am in terms of the campus, so I have to walk the length of the campus to get there I think I will take my bike tomorrow...

I'm working on breathing tecniques and stuff, but it's irratateing for me, because I don't know how to control the twiching sensatino in my foot, and I generally don't know what to do about it. I don't like depending on others, either, of course. So any solitary activities or strategies for dealing with bodily tension or mental tension or whatever, I'd be willing to hear your thoughts.

PS: I'm curious about stress-eating, too. I don't know if I'm just not eating properly again, of if I'm actually using it as a means to deal with stress, or if I'm overeating and thinking of things that don't really matter.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex is GREAT. It's the only way I can get a good night's sleep (I've been an insomniac my whole life).

But anyways... self hypnosis, soft classical music (pachelbel is my favorite), and nutritional supplements such as melatonin are my favorite means of bringing about a relaxed/sleepy state.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seriously though... why can't I get a good night's sleep unless I get laid
    SEE

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Uhm, tires you out I guess.

I kinda relate to this, although I can get to sleep okay normally. It just helps if you just got laid. I also sleep better when someone else is sleeping with me too.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit
    SEE

Creepy-aurora_faerie

is this sarcasm?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, it's bullshit.

But what can you expect, right?
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit
    SEE

Creepy-aurora_faerie

NO

you fucking know what I'm talking about

oh, ugh

sigh

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mindless manual work, esp. if it's repetitive. Like washing the dishes, cleaning windows, swimming, walking. Your body goes on autopilot and this helps your mind to relax. You're just busy enough to prevent you from worrying or thinking Deep Thoughts. That frees your mind to sort of drift. Can be very relaxing.

Not sure if this helps, though; after all, you're not an ENFp.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the opposite for me. I have to do things that stimulate my mind or my brain plays tricks on me.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Means of relaxation, a serious issue

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    Sex, drugs, or anything else dependant upon something outside of yourself don't count here.

I seem to be having some problems relaxing, and I'm looking for advice on how to do this. Even though I consider my lifestyle to be relatively easy and stress free, I think I've developed a stress/tension related sort of injury in my foot. A certain cluster of nerves/vains is swollen, and from time to time it twitches, oddly. I'm getting it looked at tomorrow, but I suspect if is mostly a tension thing.

I don't even recognize the tensions I maintain at times, and sometimes it's even worse when I know I have to turn if off but I cannot. I spent the rest of my day after classes laying in my bed, with my laptop, and didn't allow myself to do any work (though slacking off isn't too hard to do, anyways). But at least it was reasonable - my foot, that is: on the way home from my classes today, it was really sort of uncomfortable, but I think that is because I was nervous, and maybe over reacting. I walked to the health center, and they said I'd have to come back tomorrow because they were booked today. Unfortunately, the health center is quite opposite of where I am in terms of the campus, so I have to walk the length of the campus to get there I think I will take my bike tomorrow...

I'm working on breathing tecniques and stuff, but it's irratateing for me, because I don't know how to control the twiching sensatino in my foot, and I generally don't know what to do about it. I don't like depending on others, either, of course. So any solitary activities or strategies for dealing with bodily tension or mental tension or whatever, I'd be willing to hear your thoughts.

PS: I'm curious about stress-eating, too. I don't know if I'm just not eating properly again, of if I'm actually using it as a means to deal with stress, or if I'm overeating and thinking of things that don't really matter.
    read this book. you might be able to get it at the library. straight forward meditation techniques. "cloud of unknowing".
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...Fencoding=UTF8
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Means of relaxation, a serious issue

Quote Originally Posted by UDP

i'd start with a foot bath of warm (not hot, i learned that the hard way) water, with Epsom Salts. this should bring down swelling and brusing. you may need a foot orthotic as it sounds like a musle pull/imbalance. keeping it higher than your heart may help as well.

then you can listen to classical music, or trance that could push you into an Alpha state helping you to relax. drink some herbal tea, go into a bath with rose petals, (good for a laugh, mine anyway).

mostly it's hard to relax when you know you need to do other things. but mostly sitting or lay in your bed could help. maybe get some fresh air. or just do something you enjoy.
    INTJ, INTp, ILI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nymphomaniac?
    INTJ, INTp, ILI

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol I don't hear any compliants
    SEE

Creepy-pokeball

Disconnecting from anything electronic can be really relaxing. I love spring days and just going to the park and sitting for a bit to clear my mind. It feels so good especially since we are connected nearly 16/24 per week.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, also, cutting out dead time and dead weight from your life - it's incredibly relaxing.