Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Mentalist

Does anyone else watch this show? I recently caught up on all the episodes so far. Here are my opinions on type:

Patrick Jane: IEE
    Manipulates people to uncover the hidden nature of things (Producing Ethics in service of Base Ne). Emotionally expressive, but only in a joking, unserious manner (Demonstrative Fe -- plays with Fe like it's a game). Always eating and lying on the couch (Suggestive Si).

Theresa Lisbon: SLI
    Emotionally closed down, resists Jane's attempts to get her to open up (Vulnerable Fe). Puts up with Jane's unorthodox methods because "he gets results" (valued Te). Capable of physical aggression, but only uses it when necessary (Id Se).

Kimball Cho: SLI
    Matter-of-fact no-nonsense persona in the vein of Joe Friday and Humphry Bogart, both of whom I also type as SLI. The Vulnerable Fe is clear -- it's rare to get even a glimmer of Fe from him. At first I thought he was LSI, until the show had a real LSI guest star for a few episdoes in the second season...

Sam Bosco: LSI
    Lisbon's former partner. Clashes spectacularly with Jane, as expected for Conflictors. Doesn't care that Jane "gets results"; for him the integrity of "the system" is paramount (Base Ti). Uses physical intimidation and violence to get his way (Creative Se).

Wayne Rigsby and Grace Van Pelt: LSE and EII
    Rounding out the show's Delta Quadra, I sort of automatically think of Rigsby and Van Pelt as two halves of a single character, which is of common with Duality. In fact, I'm more sure that they're a Duality pair than I am of their specific types. Van Pelt is reserved and gentle and kind of shy. Rigsby is outgoing and has that "everyman" quality that many LSEs have.

An SLI buddy of mine put me on to this show. At first it was only somewhat interesting, but it grew on me as I got to know the characters. It's the first show I've typed with an entire Delta Quadra in the main cast, so that's pretty cool.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the show quite a bit if I remember to DVR it since I'm not usually around to watch it when it's on...lol. I'd seriously watch the show just to look at Van Pelt.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, I'll check it out next time it's on
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just watched an episode and a bit of "Lie to Me" -- it's interesting how the main character on that show takes a far more Logical approach to some of the same subject matter (being able to tell when someone is lying).
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Does anyone else watch this show? I recently caught up on all the episodes so far. Here are my opinions on type:

Patrick Jane: IEE
    Manipulates people to uncover the hidden nature of things (Producing Ethics in service of Base Ne). Emotionally expressive, but only in a joking, unserious manner (Demonstrative Fe -- plays with Fe like it's a game). Always eating and lying on the couch (Suggestive Si).

Theresa Lisbon: SLI
    Emotionally closed down, resists Jane's attempts to get her to open up (Vulnerable Fe). Puts up with Jane's unorthodox methods because "he gets results" (valued Te). Capable of physical aggression, but only uses it when necessary (Id Se).

Kimball Cho: SLI
    Matter-of-fact no-nonsense persona in the vein of Joe Friday and Humphry Bogart, both of whom I also type as SLI. The Vulnerable Fe is clear -- it's rare to get even a glimmer of Fe from him. At first I thought he was LSI, until the show had a real LSI guest star for a few episdoes in the second season...

Sam Bosco: LSI
    Lisbon's former partner. Clashes spectacularly with Jane, as expected for Conflictors. Doesn't care that Jane "gets results"; for him the integrity of "the system" is paramount (Base Ti). Uses physical intimidation and violence to get his way (Creative Se).

Wayne Rigsby and Grace Van Pelt: LSE and EII
    Rounding out the show's Delta Quadra, I sort of automatically think of Rigsby and Van Pelt as two halves of a single character, which is of common with Duality. In fact, I'm more sure that they're a Duality pair than I am of their specific types. Van Pelt is reserved and gentle and kind of shy. Rigsby is outgoing and has that "everyman" quality that many LSEs have.

An SLI buddy of mine put me on to this show. At first it was only somewhat interesting, but it grew on me as I got to know the characters. It's the first show I've typed with an entire Delta Quadra in the main cast, so that's pretty cool.
    I watched this show and disagree with most of these.

Patrick Jane feels like an alpha NT, ILE>LII. The ability to manipulate people comes from an understanding of their motivations which in this case is likely Ti>Fi

Lisbon is not SLI, though I can't really tell what she is. I think she's in an Fe valuing quadra though. I can't help thinking alpha as well, and if that's the case an introverted alpha. Which then leaves the odd combination of either LII or SEI?

Kimball Cho is SLI.

Sam Bosco I think is SLE>LSI. I think the clashing with Jane is Ne vs Se.

I don't really know what Van Pelt is, but she feels like an Fi valuing type. EII may work though I can't be certain. Rigsby though is infantile and probably IEE.

I could be wrong, but these are the types that feel better suited in my opinion.
    LII?

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buckland View Post
    I watched this show and disagree with most of these.

Patrick Jane feels like an alpha NT, ILE>LII. The ability to manipulate people comes from an understanding of their motivations which in this case is likely Ti>Fi
    I dunno, I think Jane displays too great a facility with Fe and the manipulation of people's emotions to be a Logical type with 1 or 2 dimensional Feeling. Unlike the guy from Lie to Me, who scientifically and logically studies facial expressions as a way of making up for his weak natural ability to understand what people are feeling, Jane displays a natural talent for not only reading emotions, but influencing them.

Lisbon is not SLI, though I can't really tell what she is. I think she's in an Fe valuing quadra though. I can't help thinking alpha as well, and if that's the case an introverted alpha. Which then leaves the odd combination of either LII or SEI?
    I'm not 100% certain about Lisbon, but what makes you think she's Fe-valuing? I can't think of any specific evidence for that, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

Kimball Cho is SLI.
    Cho is probably my favourite character on the show.

Sam Bosco I think is SLE>LSI. I think the clashing with Jane is Ne vs Se.
    SLE isn't unreasonable, in my opinion. And you're right, a substantial amount of the clash is due to Se vs. Ne -- Jane's ideas seem insubstantial and unproveable to Bosco, and Bosco seems overly dismissive of reasonable possibilities to Jane.

I don't really know what Van Pelt is, but she feels like an Fi valuing type. EII may work though I can't be certain. Rigsby though is infantile and probably IEE.
    I dunno, Rigsby seems more physically confident than most Ne types (like, for example, Jane). I think you might be confusing gregariousness with infantility. I don't see him, for example, wanting someone to cook meals for him because he's too wrapped up in his thoughts to do it himself, in the way that Jane might.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, I think Jane displays too great a facility with Fe and the manipulation of people's emotions to be a Logical type with 1 or 2 dimensional Feeling. Unlike the guy from Lie to Me, who scientifically and logically studies facial expressions as a way of making up for his weak natural ability to understand what people are feeling, Jane displays a natural talent for not only reading emotions, but influencing them.
    I don't see how his ability to elicit Fe (which is what he's doing rather than "creating" it as an Fe capable type would) points away from ILE. I think that this is in a way a very stereotypical alpha NT thing to do, though manifested in various ways. It's not exclusive to these types, just that compared to e.g. IEE, I think it's more apparent.

Also, he has way too many instances of his actions causing Fi hits on others. His ignorance of people's feelings due to his picture of the truth is another thing that leads me to think ILE>IEE.

I'm not 100% certain about Lisbon, but what makes you think she's Fe-valuing? I can't think of any specific evidence for that, but maybe I'm overlooking something.
    I am not 100% sure about her, it's just a feeling really. I could be well off with her. I am basing a lot of what I say on the fact that she's very tolerant of Jane's mischief which would take at least a compatible quadra/type. My typing of her is based more on gut feeling rather than reason.

I dunno, Rigsby seems more physically confident than most Ne types (like, for example, Jane). I think you might be confusing gregariousness with infantility. I don't see him, for example, wanting someone to cook meals for him because he's too wrapped up in his thoughts to do it himself, in the way that Jane might.
    I think the wrapped up in yourself thing is overplayed a bit wrt Ne types, though I do see what you're saying. It's just from watching him on the show, he does not seem to be as much of a leader as I would expect LSE to be. I don't think LSEs would be bossed about as much as he is, even by their boss. At the very least, from all the ones I have met, he has much less "drive" than I would expect.

He seems irrational and an extroverted and most definitely not Ti ego (as compared to Jane) and this leaves ENFp.
    LII?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely agree with IEE for the Mentalist (Patrick Jane). Maybe Ne-ENFp (Harmonizing subtype) [ENFp-INTp].

I think Theresa Lisbon is LSE-Te (Normalizing subtype) [ESTj-INFj].
    I agree that Kimball Cho is SLI. Maybe Te-ISTp (Normalizing subtype) [ISTp-ISTj].
    Wayne Rigsby and Grace seemed more like SLE and IEI to me, yet I'm probably wrong.

I was thinking, what if Brett Stiles is Red John. A psychopath posing as [a] charlatan. Anyway, either him or J.J. LaRoche have some connection to Red John.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentalist: ILE Harmonizing
    Robin Tunney's character: SEI Creative
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's definitely likely too, come to think of it.

Since my Mom likes the Mentalist, she's definitely not ESI. If she's Gamma SF, I think that SEE is most likely. Maybe Fi-ESFp (Normalizing subtype) [ESFp-INTj]. Although that's not directly related to the show, my Mom likes The Mentalist more than I do. Yet since the Mentalist could also be ILE, I guess I can finally rule out ESI for my Mom once and for all. She's definitely not Ne-PoLR.

I'm also suspicious of the Gale Bertram character in relation to Red John, or perhaps he could be Red John himself. J.J. LaRoche seems possibly LSI-Ti (Normalizing subtype) [ISTj-INTj?].

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think IEE is good typing for Patrick.

Cho is definately SLI.
    Lisbon is LSE imo. I think she's pretty clearly a rational and not irrational, while Patrick is the clear irrational.
    Grace is ESI(actress as well) and I am not sure what type Rigsby is, LSE is ok.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I think IEE is good typing for Patrick.

Cho is definately SLI.
    Lisbon is LSE imo. I think she's pretty clearly a rational and not irrational, while Patrick is the clear irrational.
    Grace is ESI(actress as well) and I am not sure what type Rigsby is, LSE is ok.
    I keep waffling back and forth in my mind on whether Lisbon is SLI or LSE.

In my opinion, Grace doesn't seem capable of the sort of aggressiveness and confrontational behaviour that I see in ESIs. I think Vulnerable Se fits her better than Creative Se. But I can certainly see where you're coming from.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I keep waffling back and forth in my mind on whether Lisbon is SLI or LSE.

In my opinion, Grace doesn't seem capable of the sort of aggressiveness and confrontational behaviour that I see in ESIs. I think Vulnerable Se fits her better than Creative Se. But I can certainly see where you're coming from.
    I don't think ESI need to be aggressive, they can be sweet warm and soft. I had a ESI dentist and shes far from aggressive, and is more about deliberate actions which result in creating the desired results. Aggression is not necessarily the best way and Gamma SF often use kindness and gentle persuasion as their means of achieving their desires.

The actress isn't EII, that I'm pretty sure, and I don't think the character is written as EII, especially in the recent episode where she is recovering from her killing her fiance. She show perseverance and is strong although emotional. She's also described enjoying field work, althrough she more often does research.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this show.

I still agree with a lot of the typings (I'm considering changing some of the subtypes though, or maybe just to entertain different subtypes):

Patrick: Ne-ENFp (Creative subtype) [ENFp-ENTp]

Theresa Lisbon: Si-ESTj (Normalizing subtype) [ESTj-INFj]

Cho: Te-ISTp (Dominant subtype) [ISTp-ESTj]

And I think I agree with ESI for Grace, although I'm not sure about subtype.

Grace: Fi-ISFj (Harmonizing subtype) [ISFj-INFp or ISFj-ISTp]

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno. If I remember well enough, idk.
    I'm just gonna say I think Jane could be ENTp>ENFp.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.