Thread: I'd like to put a stop to being heckled about being mistyped

Creepy-male

Default I'd like to put a stop to being heckled about being mistyped.

I think part of the problem with trying to argue your type to someone is that, individually, people hold their own conceptions of how Socionics works. If you argue on your own terms, you probably won't convince a soul; add to that, if you're trying to remedy that by covering as many bases as you can by using lots of angles, it's hopelessly inefficient and a waste of time and energy.

So hey, here I am, to field questions and answer issues you have with my current self-typing (which is SEI), because I'm really sick of being heckled about it whenever I try to post.

El Presidente de Mi Cabeza GallopingQwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why people would "heckle" you about your own self type... if you're sure about it, you know yourself better than anyone so I believe you.
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

No trees were destroyed in sending this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I am definitely a 7, and most likely an IEE. Stay tuned for further updates.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just put them on ignore. Your own self typing is more valid, assuming you've shown good understanding. It's the least trivial piece of evidence since you're more directly aware of your motivations.

If it's someone trying to dogmatically convince you, you should put them on ignore anyway, as a matter of principle, for being too dumb to account for all the possibilities and the complexities involved in typing.

Creepy-cinq

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I think part of the problem with trying to argue your type to someone is that, individually, people hold their own conceptions of how Socionics works. If you argue on your own terms, you probably won't convince a soul; add to that, if you're trying to remedy that by covering as many bases as you can by using lots of angles, it's hopelessly inefficient and a waste of time and energy.

So hey, here I am, to field questions and answer issues you have with my current self-typing (which is SEI), because I'm really sick of being heckled about it whenever I try to post.
    I don't see any heckling about your type. Regardless, any member who changes their self typing several times leaves themselves open to the skeptics. Curious that you refer to "your current typing" - it suggests you are not convinced yourself and you might change it again. I'm hardpressed to empathize with you as you leave the door wide open for doubt. You can't blame that on the skeptics.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. F them. You don't need to argue or prove your self typing to anyone. Just blow off the naysayers (there is always going to be those people on this forum, no matter what type a person settles on).

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Just put them on ignore. Your own self typing is more valid, assuming you've shown good understanding. It's the least trivial piece of evidence since you're more directly aware of your motivations.

If it's someone trying to dogmatically convince you, you should put them on ignore anyway, as a matter of principle, for being too dumb to account for all the possibilities and the complexities involved in typing.
    +9

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Take a test, know thy enemy, live by it and to hell with the rest.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck, Brian.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    I don't think it's ok to find ultimate criteria where there are not, I'm not talking about typing, but in general. IMO it's not healthy, yes, you get rid of uncertainty, but what you remain with? With a delusion.
    I bolded what I think the important part of jxrtes comment is when it comes to the point you make Pinocchio.

I think that depends on the level of understanding that a person has with whatever subject they are trying to figure out, whether it be typing or otherwise.

The thing about socionics is that many people think they know it, but the content is subjective enough that it's hard to know who's totally correct, partially correct, doesn't know what they're talking about but think they do...etc.

If someone has no clue about socionics, myself for example... any opinion I have on the matter should be null and void... even if I'm only typing myself... I started out here 4 or so years ago as an ESTJ and after a few months that didn't really seem to fit. I asked for a few other people's suggestions if they thought it was possible that I may be ESFJ (it was the most likely type imo when I went over what other types I may be) and a fair amount of people, whom I'd say have much more understanding of socionics than I'll ever have, were able to agree on it and I've been this type ever since. Sure a person or two may doubt this typing every once in a while but when it comes down to it... My own opinion about my own type is pretty solid, from what I know about my type and the opinions of other people who's opinion I regard highly.

This is not to say that if a person has no understanding of socionics and argues their type, or other's for that matter, their opinion should have much less bearing in whatever types they suggest for anyone, themself included.

So, back to Pinocchio's point above... A person's self-typing may easily be a delusion if he/she knows nothing about the subject and they're totally set on being one type and one type only without looking at any other information. In this case, I'm ok with people arguing with a persons self typing, since it is actually a way to understand more. On the other hand, there is no one person who has all the answers and knows everything more than everyone else (though this does happen at times here). When it comes to it, that's who I believe to be the most delusional...lol.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You sound kinda too cynical though. Maybe you're right. other people have been able to convince me of something though it's just that intellectually I think we get so certain about what we think we know.

But I mean you have to understand if you're having fun or not or something. It feels good to be understood and have that connection so much that I'm willing to drag people in the mudslide just to feel that humanity.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    What makes you think this, are you a genius? There are indeed people who think they really understand but actually have no clue, but the only way to tell that is understanding yourself and study case-by-case, if this matters for you.

Not trying to say that I'm the one who knows things better than everybody, maybe it is someone else, or maybe you are even actually right than none is, but when you claim to know that none knows more than everyone else you actually claim to know this better than everyone so you call yourself delusional, lol!
    Fine, I'm delusional then. I gave my opinion on the subject and won't argue with yours, it is a valid point.