Thread: Adherence to truth

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Adherence to truth

Being straightforward and always telling the truth, even when it's in your own best interest not to. Being incapable (and perhaps also unwilling) of twisting the facts to suit your purpose.

Is this type related?

Discuss.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think so. I think what one considers "adherence to the truth" is more type related.

But otherwise... eh. LSEs, LSIs, LIIs, EIIs... logical types and rationals mostly. But like I said, what you consider "adherence to the truth" is more type related than adhering to the truth. I mean, IEIs are probably the least likely to be this way (at least as I think you mean), but we're also very likely to adhere to what we consider "the truth"---it's just an overarching sort of metaphysical Truth rather than the individual things that happens, which, I will confess, I can sort of play with. On the other hand, I was extremely honest as a child and still have trouble outright lying.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's type related. People lie, it's evolutionarily advantageous to lie or fib when you need to. If you saw a person who was completely straight-forward about everything they thought, no exceptions, you'd have someone with something like asperger's.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I twist the facts to fit my purpose as long as it's impossible to get caught for doing so. In 90% of cases I can think of ways of getting caught so I tell the truth most of the time.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a self depricating person or an uncaring person. Fe polr or Fi ego, maybe

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Depends on particulars. Let's be realistic, no two people's beliefs match precisely on every single matter unless they've been seriously brainwashed, but many are close enough. I'm sure agnostic and atheist could get along splendidly without ever seriously clashing over it, for example. Or modern-western-tolerant-pseudo-buddhist with agnostic, etc. Most religions, however, put serious restrictions on many matters, especially in marriage (ranging everywhere from raising children to intimacy), and only one person's adherence to them can pretty much kill it for their partner.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    ^ Depends on particulars. Let's be realistic, no two people's beliefs match precisely on every single matter unless they've been seriously brainwashed, but many are close enough. I'm sure agnostic and atheist could get along splendidly without ever seriously clashing over it, for example. Or modern-western-tolerant-pseudo-buddhist with agnostic, etc. Most religions, however, put serious restrictions on many matters, especially in marriage (ranging everywhere from raising children to intimacy), and only one person's adherence to them can pretty much kill it for their partner.
    Why do you insist and ILI? Why not SEE?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Being straightforward and always telling the truth, even when it's in your own best interest not to. Being incapable (and perhaps also unwilling) of twisting the facts to suit your purpose.

Is this type related?

Discuss.
    No. Because another man's greater truth is another man's greater lie. Figure it out ;P.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course it is type related. Truth is clearly a thing. Where Alphas and Betas prefer to tell the truth Gammas and Deltas avoid it to get along with people which is related.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At any time one speaks a true statement one could instead have made some pragmatic lie that better furthered ones aims than honesty did.
    Last edited by krieger; 05-15-2010 at 12:49 AM.

El Presidente de Mi Cabeza GallopingQwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely can see an argument that this is a type related issue. It would certainly explain why my ILI friend believes it is lying to tell a job interviewer that he has had a bit more experience than he actually does, and refuses to do so.

And is still unemployed with no prospects because he emphasizes his lack of experience on his cover letter in the spirit of full disclosure, but that's another issue for another thread.
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

No trees were destroyed in sending this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I am definitely a 7, and most likely an IEE. Stay tuned for further updates.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDo View Post
    Of course it is type related. Truth is clearly a thing. Where Alphas and Betas prefer to tell the truth Gammas and Deltas avoid it to get along with people which is related.
    If only life were that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by GallopingQwerty View Post
    I definitely can see an argument that this is a type related issue. It would certainly explain why my ILI friend believes it is lying to tell a job interviewer that he has had a bit more experience than he actually does, and refuses to do so.

And is still unemployed with no prospects because he emphasizes his lack of experience on his cover letter in the spirit of full disclosure, but that's another issue for another thread.
    Actually, I witnessed this sort of thing, to the point of considering even purposefully imprecise statements "lies", in Delta rationals, even though it seems unwise to me at times. So maybe it's not *that* type related.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Why do you insist and ILI? Why not SEE?
    Yet another typing for me? That makes it seven. Including all four dichotomies, quadras and temperaments.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDo View Post
    And of course you're wrong, because truth is clearly not a Ti thing.

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    At any time one speaks a true statement one could instead have made some pragmatic lie that better furthered your aims than honesty did.
    So what types (iyo) are the most/least prone to do this?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this type related?

Discuss.
    Yeah... it relates to being a robot or a computer. Honestly I don't think that any human beings are *incapable* of not telling the truth in such a rigid way. That sounds more like a rigid unattainable ideal more than anything. You might even subconsciously twist the facts and you may not even know it.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Is this type related?

Discuss.
    I am incapable of telling a direct lie. I might lie about something like, "No, I am not eating a banana. I am calling for reinforcements against the alien invasion." I might also evade the question.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Yeah... it relates to being a robot or a computer. Honestly I don't think that any human beings are *incapable* of not telling the truth in such a rigid way. That sounds more like a rigid unattainable ideal more than anything. You might even subconsciously twist the facts and you may not even know it.
    Well of course I didn't mean it like that. By incapable I meant not being comfortable and ready to spontaneously do it, and on purpose. As in not being naturally predisposed. And I'm not talking about subconsciously twisting the facts, but consciously twisting them for your own interest.
    Last edited by Park; 05-15-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I don't know, I think it's got more to do with a certain kind of a person who likes to keep a certain kind of integrity, for whatever the reason. Maybe he/she's autistic?

Maybe the most "serious" person I've met who never messed around was an LII... even though he was generally mild and soft.

And it's definitely NOT EIIs, because my EII brother lies and "mess around" all the time . I can't really think of a Socionics type who likes to keep a certain kind of integrity other than the LIIs... But even then, that could just be an idealization.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GallopingQwerty View Post

Like the ILI, I've been known to be like this. I even stated right in my cover letter a couple of times that I lacked direct experience in a certain area, but was able to learn the necessary skills quickly. Of course, those applications never made it to the interview stage and I quickly learned that I needed a new strategy.

I still refuse to be dishonest, but I no longer highlight my lack of experience when applying for a job. If I'm weak or inexperienced in an area, I just don't mention about it on my cover letter or resume. I don't mention it in an interview either unless I'm explictly asked about it.

I would never say I have more experience than I actually did. I remember in one interview for an office job, I was asked about my office experience. While I didn't have any 'official' work experience in an office setting, I mentioned about skills I obtained from other work experiences that would apply well to an office setting. Such as being able to type quickly and accurately, my skills with word processing and using spreadsheets, etc.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP