Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: ATTN: Artsy Beta NFs

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default ATTN: Artsy Beta NFs

    Should I buy the complete works of Robert Frost?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    silverchris please answer.

  3. #3
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm not silverchris but I vote yes. he's very accessible for non-literature types and has some quite lovely pieces such as Birches by Robert Frost, which is one of my faves.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  4. #4
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My ENFj English professor adores him. He seemed decent for poetry.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  5. #5
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    He's alright. I wouldn't call him transcendental or anything like that, but he spouts some ok memes, and once in a while he hits the nail. Nothing really special, though, and I would never buy his collected works for any reason other than to look good on the shelf.

    Read The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury for some good classic Beta NF literature.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    He's alright. I wouldn't call him transcendental or anything like that, but he spouts some ok memes, and once in a while he hits the nail. Nothing really special, though, and I would never buy his collected works for any reason other than to look good on the shelf.

    Read The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury for some good classic Beta NF literature.
    All right I will get that and the Frost.

    Thanks losers.

  7. #7
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    He VIs INFp fwiw

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    He VIs INFp fwiw
    Frost?

  9. #9
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Frost?
    Yes.

  10. #10
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No way in hell is he IEI.

    Sorry I wasn't on the forum. I'm drowning in papers instead. I have a paper due in 8 hours that I thought I didn't even have to do for tonight. I'm pretty pissed about this.

    I like Frost alright, and he's a good introduction, not too difficult to enjoy on a basic level. He has some wonderful moments, and he has a really convincing style. On the other hand, he doesn't give you the same immediate shock of wonder that, say, Shelley does (Ode to the West Wind... mmmm...). But he's a good place to start, because so much of what we think of as "poetry" is really marked by his idiom (and Tennyson's, still, although I don't know how or why). I really like "Design" and "Fire and Ice" and there's one about a speck that someone once explained to me really well, so I like that one now.

    Also, I wish I had been on, because now that I think about it, much of Yeats (especially middle period like "Adam's Curse," but also some later stuff like "The Circus Animals' Desertion") is equally readable, but also, honestly, better. And I feel like Frost will only take you so far before you need another poet, whereas Yeats will take you from the bottom to the top on the ladder of "more difficult pleasures" (as will Shakespeare, Dickens and Jane Austen, all to a greater degree than Yeats). And what is better than "The Lake Isle of Innisfree"?

    Yay for an excuse to talk about poetry!
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  11. #11
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    And I feel like Frost will only take you so far before you need another poet, whereas Yeats will take you from the bottom to the top on the ladder of "more difficult pleasures" (as will Shakespeare, Dickens and Jane Austen, all to a greater degree than Yeats). And what is better than "The Lake Isle of Innisfree"?
    What type do you think Dickens is?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  12. #12
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    What type do you think Dickens is?
    EIE. Clear Si-polr. He actually died by doing his super high-enthusiasm readings to the point of exhausting his already frail body. In other words, he emphasized Fe emotional expression to such a great degree that he completely ignored the Si demands of his body. Sad story really.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  13. #13
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    EIE. Clear Si-polr. He actually died by doing his super high-enthusiasm readings to the point of exhausting his already frail body. In other words, he emphasized Fe emotional expression to such a great degree that he completely ignored the Si demands of his body. Sad story really.
    Ah I see. Dicken's books are sheer perfection imo. Si PoLR ftw. :-p
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  14. #14
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    All right I will get that and the Frost.

    Thanks losers.
    Welcome jock.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •