Thread: Showing usefulness of things SiTe (SLI-IEE interaction)

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Showing usefulness of things SiTe (SLI-IEE interaction)

So I wanted to start talking about our IE placements one-by-one lately, and I wanted to make a video, but I've been too busy and look like I've been through a hurricane whenever I come home and have time to record something. So we'll just have to do this the old-fashioned way

I'm posting this today because I've started to notice something reoccurring that SiTe do with me, and I'm guessing its a manifestation of their . I also wonder if anyone else has noticed this, or if any SiTe can relate as well, maybe I'm just reaching for a connection that isn't there.

For one reason or another, all the SiTe I know love to show me things. Like, something that has caught their attention recently, or a new toy of sorts, and they want to explore it and explain it, and they get excited about it in their own SiTe way. I find this rather charming, as I usually don't know much about whatever it is they want to explain to me, or I have a topical knowledge enough for me to ask question and have them go into more depth.

One example of this was the SiTe friend I'm close with wanted me to see a collection of different wood he has for wood working. He wanted to explain to me each one's weight, density, and smell, and what it's used for. While I can't say types of wood has been on the top of my list in things to explore, I do like having the knowledge now that I can randomly be like "Oh, that's such and such and it's good for this." He'll also explain to me the different types of companies that make certain tools and which are reputable or not, and I could easily find how other people would find this boring or irrelevant, but for me it's like I don't mind having random information tucked away somewhere, even though I don't find it completely interesting. It's just fun to see him into something.

Just now, the SiTe husband of a TeSi friend has been all about his new TV and the crazy settings it has. He's more technophobic (strangely enough, a lot of my closer TeSi and SiTe friends aren't into technology so much...) and I, on the other hand, am not, so when I offhandedly mentioned he could connect his external hard drive to his TV and watch the movies from there, he started to flip out with excitement (well, as much as a SiTe could lol) and go through every single setting he possibly could, and kept calling me over to look at how the movie picture setting was different from the natural, etc.

Either way, I've been more keen on looking for particular usages of IEs in certain functions rather than the two apart (So in the creative function rather than just looking for just ), and maybe I'll get to the point where I can see something in particular that is an action from the perspective of an entire block. Understanding how different is in leading vs creative will make it easier to type overall, as we'll be able to apply this sort of perspective to all types.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by look.to.the.sky
    but I've been too busy and look like I've been through a hurricane
    I like the windswept look.

Sorry, I shall try to contribute to your post in terms of what you're really getting at some other point soon.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think is more prominent in the description in the OP... he's showing you stuff. There's there, too, though (in the explanations that follow), and you do seem to have shown more appreciation for the than for the (though that may be because you were thinking about when you wrote it).

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I think is more prominent in the description in the OP... he's showing you stuff.
    Is it the fact that you associate with physicality rather than anything else? I don't think just because it is "stuff" that it falls under the / domain. has to do with the relation of two objects, and what this post is focusing on are objects and their properties, which is an Xe IE.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by look.to.the.sky View Post
    Is it the fact that you associate with physicality rather than anything else? I don't think just because it is "stuff" that it falls under the / domain. has to do with the relation of two objects, and what this post is focusing on are objects and their properties, which is an Xe IE.
    I was comparing SLI with ILI and SEI, actually. That strikes me as more something an SEI would do than that an ILI would do. (I got an impression of "look, something shiny" from the original summary.)

I think you're taking "objects" too literally here.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I was comparing SLI with ILI and SEI, actually. That strikes me as more something an SEI would do than that an ILI would do.

I think you're taking "objects" too literally here.
    I guess I'd like to know your understanding of vs then, my example might just not illustrate something that is exclusive or telling of creative at all, but that's what this discussion is about

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was more Ne/Si related, to be honest.

I'm not into showing off things. It's rather that people ask about something and I get impatient. I may relate a lot I know about the topic at once, but that's usually when they want to get something, not when I got something.

I like hearing this sort of thing the first time, though. That's just interesting new information. It's when it gets repetitive that it grates on my nerves - which is what usually happens with people who really want to show off their collections/gadgets/toys/whatever (like my LII father).

Also, SEI friend would keep talking and talking about something she just got if she really likes it, even if it seems casual for others.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    I thought it was more Ne/Si related, to be honest.
    Do you mind explaining why it is more / related? I'd like to see the different perspective on this because I wouldn't have seen it as solely as that, or at least, it could be part of the equation but not the whole.
    Last edited by Mattie; 04-29-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Logical vegetable Existential Potato's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm SLI and I kindasorta do something like it. I wouldn't exactly go into depth about wood density (), but I impulsively say stuff at length in hopes of inciting discussion. I can't say whether it's Si or Te, or both, but yeah I think I've experienced that with gammas too (if you're speaking solely about the exchange of information bit).
    Or did OP intend it like 'let's work through this practical problem together' as opposed to 'hey listen to this crap'?

mm story time
    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    What you are saying is pretty typical of Delta STs. Not much more that I can say other than I think it's boring as fuck and don't know how you or anyone could stand dealing with that for more than twenty minutes. I know I can't.

Delta STs = Gods and goddesses of infrastructure.
    I've had LIEs tell me about their boooring occupations (like this one older guy was telling me about a program he was developing and was throwing so much boring information at me that it hurt and god I don't even want to start). You guys are boring too!

Yeah but I'm guilty too, was talking with this girl once and she said she spent 10 hours doing 'art' the other night, and her use of the word art was so vague that I had to ask 'well er what art do you like then' and she had no idea what kind of arts even existed, so I went 'blablabla there's this type and that and blabla'. Jeez, it was like she left a cardboard copy of her in her place the whole time . At the end she blinked once and was like 'what?' :frown:. I wasn't nearly finished either xD

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you are saying is pretty typical of Delta STs. Not much more that I can say other than I think it's boring as fuck and don't know how you or anyone could stand dealing with that for more than twenty minutes. I know I can't.

Delta STs = Gods and goddesses of infrastructure.
    Sorry, between replies I must have missed your post. I actually find the same type of thing happens with NiTe Maybe the same process but completely different subjects. Which is why I question if this was an example containing creative. I'm not going to say I enjoy every little thing, it seems like SiTe just like fact sharing, and I don't mind knowing things, but I can't take a lecture for too long. Every once in a while, it does get too much, but every type has this problem. With NiTe, I find them lecturing me often, not in the moralistic sense, but on some sort of view-point they have, and the reasons why in a rather bulleted manner. And when it's on a subject I'm interested in, it's fine, I think sometimes there's either a little too much dwelling, but I find this to be a Xi leading trait. I recently had a conversation, after I posted this I believe, with an NiTe on campus, and I felt like he needed to give me all the reasons on why he came to all the conclusions he has come to, and while this is nice and thorough and has changed my perspective on who he is, I think I feel something similar to how maybe Gammas would feel toward SiTe.

More thoughts?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know but my husband does this too, but with car parts. I know way too much about car parts.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tbh, a lot of factual conversation thrown at me makes me bored, unless it's about personal things (non-technical), in which case I'm a sponge. What makes Te downright seductive to me is not having a factual conversation really.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Tbh, a lot of factual conversation thrown at me makes me bored, unless it's about personal things (non-technical), in which case I'm a sponge. What makes Te downright seductive to me is not having a factual conversation really.
    Same here, but it's endearing to me if someone wants to show me something that they've been working hard with, and they're excited about and share it with me. It makes me feel appreciated and loved.

That's different from just having a dry factual discussion.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You want boring, let's talk about feelings and who did what to whom. Especially when they aren't even in the room.

I like a girl who can talk sports.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    You want boring, let's talk about feelings and who did what to whom. Especially when they aren't even in the room.

I bet it is for you! I try to gauge the interest of who I'm talking to before boring them out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very boring unless I have a particular sentiment towards the person. ESI mother talks a lot about such things about this person and that person. I just nod and smile but get bored pretty quickly. HA overload?

I mean, I care when it's someone really important to me. So having Te HA, I guess you can tolerate lots of info on a subject which personally interests you. I mean, I think this is normal for people in general in the way I put it, but hopefully you know what I mean.
    I sense that you are a deep thinker. easily moved, and passionate. Probably easy for you to internalize a conversation, become part of it, and see the ways in which it relates to you and others around you.

I don't think I really care for much conversation about anything. I'm always on the outside of a conversation. Makes it easy to slip away or let the context bounce off. I don't mind a good conversation, but I can take either side of an argument, because it's not really me, it's about the argument. I'm always on guard, and struggle to appear to be a part of a conversation. I have to work hard to appear involved, while you probably genuinely struggle to escape an attachment to it?
    ISTp
    SLI

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet it is for you! I try to gauge the interest of who I'm talking to before boring them out.
    HA! Yes. If I can bore you into talking about yourself, we both win.

Jim
    ISTp
    SLI

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Really?? Don't know if sports are a favored IEE subject. . .I know it's not mine (team sports anyway), unless related to a sport I'm personally pursuing, such as running currently.

My eyes glaze over when people start talking sports. That is, unless they are explaining things to me.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Really?? Don't know if sports are a favored IEE subject. . .I know it's not mine (team sports anyway), unless related to a sport I'm personally pursuing, such as running currently.

My eyes glaze over when people start talking sports. That is, unless they are explaining things to me.
    I can teach you! Actually Sports, like many things, becomes much richer as you learn about the game, and the people who play it.
    ISTp
    SLI

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concerning involving XiTe in conversations, before getting back on topic, I find that I never really want to involve people in conversations. Conversations just happen and then can grow into something else. I used to have a lot of trouble understanding why I was having so much trouble with SiTe when I first started Socionics, and besides not understanding yet that duality =/= success, I honestly just didn't have many interests in common with them. Talking with them became a chore, or we'd just cut to the physical. Now that I've been past that for a couple years now, XiTe and I just always have questions for one another whenever we meet. It's like we never finish a conversation, so there's always something to talk about. I know with a particular SiTe that I always leave meaning to say this, this and this and I forgot or didn't have the chance, and we grazed on this subject, whatever, and so we'd always have something for one another. I'm find that's the way things are developing with an NiTe I've recently met, but it seems like one long dialogue in one general area of interest that we'll have rather than hitting on many different subjects.

I feel like my examples were pretty much cases of creative. I'm starting to think you may not be able to detach the IEs within the same block from one another, but this requires further investigation. I personally think that there's too much of a focus on superficial elements when it comes to defining the IEs. I work of definitions like the ones I posed in another thread:

Xe = outside information not dependent on the observer
    Xi = inside information dependent on the observer
    Sx = information from appraisal of present state
    Nx = information from appraisal of potential state
    Tx = quantitative information
    Fx = qualitative information
    Using these, I don't think you could say my examples focused on nor exclusively or even for the majority of it.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mind explaining why it is more / related? I'd like to see the different perspective on this because I wouldn't have seen it as solely as that, or at least, it could be part of the equation but not the whole.
    It was just a though, or rather observation that it was mostly Deltas and Alphas.

If I were to speculate about the related IEs, I would blame Ne-DS. is said to be responsible for sense of boredom or interest, among other things, and -base are often attracted to any novelty, I find, but especially manifested in physical/real world - or these are the easiest to deal with on their own, at least. They try to have something to be fascinated about, enjoy gadgets and similar stuff (not that other types never do, of course). The is weak though so they might overdo it past the point of boredom (until something tickles it again).

Considering creative function, I'd suppose that would be more likely to relate knowledge about their interest and their feelings about it (not necessarily emotional attachment).

I feel like my examples were pretty much cases of creative. I'm starting to think you may not be able to detach the IEs within the same block from one another, but this requires further investigation. I personally think that there's too much of a focus on superficial elements when it comes to defining the IEs. I work of definitions like the ones I posed in another thread:

Using these, I don't think you could say my examples focused on nor exclusively or even for the majority of it.
    Yeah, considering blocks rather than IEs is what's done in many quadra descriptions, aristocratic/democratic dichotomy and clubs. Although descriptions by function make sense too, at least in some cases.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well my point is that, unless I am misunderstanding you, is that the behavior you described I have seen in LSEs many times, as well. I can't speak much for LIEs who value time too much to go on and on about such things, but whatever. Which makes my point that I don't really see this as having to do with Te as a creative function.
    I can't really see explaining things overall being type related, and it's not that an SiTe just busts out to give me the lowdown on different types of engines or something stereotypical like that. I think the difference between XiTe and TeXi would be the former paying more mind to the information while the latter assume this knowledge is being observed by everyone else already. This meshes with my experience, and maybe I'm completely off, but I find the leads to not have the same attention to that the creatives do.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't really see explaining things overall being type related, and it's not that an SiTe just busts out to give me the lowdown on different types of engines or something stereotypical like that. I think the difference between XiTe and TeXi would be the former paying more mind to the information while the latter assume this knowledge is being observed by everyone else already. This meshes with my experience, and maybe I'm completely off, but I find the leads to not have the same attention to that the creatives do.
    Well, I think Te in LSE manifests itself in the desire to have information always accessible. I've never seen this in SLIs actually (at least the ones I've met).