Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a human right to procreate?

Hybrid View

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is it a human right to procreate?

Your opinion.

Logical vegetable Existential Potato's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you referring to birth control and parental restrictions that, if this is not a right, may be put on people that are undesired in society? Like mentally deficient people for example...
    Or just curious?

But yeah, to avoid a situation where a group of people's would be offspring are denied to them because of ethnicity/creed, I would 'grant' everyone the right (if I had the right to grant rights! ).

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Overpopulation is not a problem. As food becomes scarcer and more expensive, people will have less kids. It will balance out.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Yes. Overpopulation is not a problem. As food becomes scarcer and more expensive, people will have less kids.
    No they won't, they will invade Poland for more Lebensraum.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you mean as opposed to sterilizing people against their will, sure.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birth control should be made compulsory.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Are you serious? Gah, this is one reason why I "left" the Beta quadra way back when... I find that Betas on the forum at least (since I don't know any real people) seem to have all these adamant opinions about forcing people to do this and that. And I totally don't agree and find that entire mindset basically a threat.

Also, if it were mandatory, I prefer male birth control, surgical or otherwise. Round them up, "treat" them, sterilize them, whatever. Would you like that? Well, I wouldn't either.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Are you serious? Gah, this is one reason why I "left" the Beta quadra way back when... I find that Betas on the forum at least (since I don't know any real people) seem to have all these adamant opinions about forcing people to do this and that. And I totally don't agree and find that entire mindset basically a threat.

Also, if it were mandatory, I prefer male birth control, surgical or otherwise. Round them up, "treat" them, sterilize them, whatever. Would you like that? Well, I wouldn't either.
    If it was reversible, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There probably do need to be birth limits. Maybe 2 kids per couple, for starters. Having more than two invites competition and favoritism. Being able to choose the sex of your child would be another plus.

When I have kids, it'll be two. No more than that. Since my grandmother passed on, my aunts and uncles (of which there are six) have split 4-2. Politics becomes a factor in large families.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, except for Pinocchio.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-

i believe there should be some kind of regulations regarding procreation. overpopulation is a problem. with a fast growing population you need more land to build houses, to plant crops and so on leading to more deforestation and destroying of the natural environment.

it should be something like in China, one kid per family(or two depending on the life conditions of the family)

Quote Originally Posted by GallopingQwerty View Post
    ... Just look at China's policy/attitude toward having little girls, and where it has gotten them thus far.
    the attitude towards having girls is a matter of society(it happens also in india for example and there are no restrictions on how many kids you can have). i never heard about china having a law that require for the abortion of girls and i don't think the politicians would want a country full of horny and frustrated men.

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    birth control and sex education should be made more easy for everyone to obtain, not just those on welfare.

true story: at school the other day (state uni, mind you) i heard 4 guys going on and on loudly about the act of having sex. one guy says in all seriousness, "well i heard when you pull out it kills the sperm."
    sexual education should be taught in school.and i mean real education: about what procreation is, about diseases and how to protect against them, how to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. religious institutions should stay out of this(you don't get aids from using a condom. and abstinence is a joke-not even priests practice it).
    and like you said birth control should be easy to obtain.i think every one should have access to free condoms (it would cost the state less then it costs to support families with no income and >5 kids).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we do have the right to procreate.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    People have the right to do anything they want but they have to live with the consequences of their actions.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    I agree, it's almost like the government wants these hoodlums with an IQ of 80 to pump them out one by one, they know people work the system, yet they continue to cater to these subhumans.
    You have your reasons to not have children, that's fine, but I am quite indignant that you refer to these people as "subhumans". They are humans, just like you and I.

It bothers me, sometimes, that people are so individualistic and self-centered that they forget we are all part of humanity and that they are some things we have to fix together. But a great way to ignore the problem is to label the people less fortunate or different from us as belonging to a different category, thus removing responsibility from ourselves.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    Agreed.

It is easy nowdays to control births without sterilization and such extreme things.
    I know. I have no reason to take birth control right now though and I don't want to take it. It comes with some risk you know. I prefer to be free to pick my options not have them forced upon me. But if you men want to take male birth control all the time by law (not sure where the research is on this anymore) then fine by me. Pop those pills, or whatever it ends up involving. (I'm okay with surgical procedures too.) I would also like you to document every time you have sex so I can have it on record, thx. (by "I", I mean the government or whoever is implementing this mandatory birth control crap)

Well not really fine by me, I just find this topic retarded. I just can't believe that people actually think it's okay to force other people to do this.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seriously, why? fuck that.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    seriously, why? fuck that.
    Why do you think it shouldn't be; please offer your opinion on this...
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Why do you think it shouldn't be; please offer your opinion on this...
    because women shouldn't be required to take anything by law. especially something that affects their bodies, health, emotions, etc. i personally don't take birth control. i don't want to mess with my menstrual cycle. also it makes you gain weight, affects your mood, and you have to take it at the same time daily or fuck up for the month (i for one cannot commit to doing anything at the same time everyday). some of my friends also bitch about it causing nausea. idk, all together i'm just against the idea of messing with my body w/ [routine] pills i guess
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    because women shouldn't be required to take anything by law. especially something that affects their bodies, health, emotions, etc. i personally don't take birth control. i don't want to mess with my menstrual cycle. also it makes you gain weight, affects your mood, and you have to take it at the same time daily or fuck up for the month (i for one cannot commit to doing anything at the same time everyday). some of my friends also bitch about it causing nausea. idk, all together i'm just against the idea of messing with my body w/ [routine] pills i guess
    Gilly didn't said anything about forcing women to take the pills.

by 'birth control' i understand any method of preventing a pregnancy (from condoms to pills and so on). about female hormonal contraception: there are some side-effects but it doesn't affect all women. i have met women who said that after taken them they didn't have menstrual cramps anymore and felt better in general. i believe tho that there should be more studying in this field and better contraceptives that work for everybody should be developed.

edit:as for the "male pill" there is a drug that is being developed but they only tested it on rats so it will past some time until it will be available to buy.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
    Gilly didn't said anything about forcing women to take the pills.
    I sort of started that by interpreting it that way. It might have been quite the straw man. However I really see only two ways to control this: messing with people's bodies, or making it a law that people can't have more than one or two kids.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't like crowds of white trash smelly breeders , but then again- it is completely my own fault for putting myself in those sorts of situations anyway.

I'm not too fond of uppity judgmental ******s either, but well - that's just more my home. I guess.

You don't have to be around humans much if you don't like them, you don't have to make a human if you don't want to. I sometimes wonder just how much I need other people. 'Cause I surprise myself on what I can get done on my own.

I am a Life Coach and I encourage you to do what you want. And accept the responsibility for your choices.

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Well, if we didn't have penises and vaginas then that means for sure we didn't have the right to procreate.

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hate the term "human right". You have a "right" to do whatever the fuck you want, and people have a right to attempt to stop you. It's not like theres some guy behind a curtain telling everyone the proper ways of human living.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For the posters who answer "yes," what about people who have multiple children and are on welfare? Just wondering, as I've struggled with this myself.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    For the posters who answer "yes," what about people who have multiple children and are on welfare? Just wondering, as I've struggled with this myself.
    They probably shouldn't have anymore children if they can't afford to, but the thing is, nobody can force them not to have anymore children. They might be stupid for doing it, but stupidity is not against the law.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I heard of some place in the US (very specific, I know) requiring women to get the Depo-Provera shot before they receive their welfare check if they have X number of kids.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I heard of some place in the US (very specific, I know) requiring women to get the Depo-Provera shot before they receive their welfare check if they have X number of kids.
    That's disgusting, even if it's not true I wouldn't put it past the government to try something like that. The State ought to be abolished.

El Presidente de Mi Cabeza GallopingQwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Say View Post
    They might be stupid for doing it, but stupidity is not against the law.
    If it were, they'd never be able to build enough jails fast enough.

There are studies out there that say we do our own form of population control: the US is actually experiencing a slow-down and almost negative population growth, as the one-child family has become acceptable and more and more couples are just deciding not to have children (plus there's the whole group of couples who are unable to conceive, infertility rates are jumping up).

And even if you ignore that, anthropologists are now talking about the idea that wars tend to break out when population gets too high... and the casualties that ensue bring levels down low enough that war does not break out again for a while. It hasn't been proven conclusively, but it's certainly something to think about.

In general... there are certainly people that I really wish wouldn't have kids (Octomom anyone?), but I think it's a dangerous path to go down when you start talking about someone being in charge of who has how many kids. Just look at China's policy/attitude toward having little girls, and where it has gotten them thus far.
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

No trees were destroyed in sending this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I am definitely a 7, and most likely an IEE. Stay tuned for further updates.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop giving them welfare and they'll stop having kids.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't it the reverse? "Welfare states" like many nation-states in the EU have a much lower birth rate than elsewhere, primarily due to the enormous economic costs of raising children. Even prior to the welfare reforms of the US in the 20th century, parents frequently had many children as a means to ensure that they would be supported in their older age and due to the low economic costs of children. Nowadays people talk about having kids much in the same manner as they would when talking about getting a pet.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Isn't it the reverse? "Welfare states" like many nation-states in the EU have a much lower birth rate than elsewhere, primarily due to the enormous economic costs of raising children. Even prior to the welfare reforms of the US in the 20th century, parents frequently had many children as a means to ensure that they would be supported in their older age and due to the low economic costs of children. Nowadays people talk about having kids much in the same manner as they would when talking about getting a pet.
    The birth rates are low for the general population, not for the poor. The general population has less kids in welfare states because the cost of living increases directly as a result of higher taxes, since their labor does not earn as much purchasing power as more of it is taxed away. You may be thinking of poor countries where families will have many children so that they can work and contribute to the household. That's because in their societies, children can find work in low-paying factory jobs (no minimum wage law) and even plant their own food, so it makes sense to have lots of kids--especially since you're not paying utilities and one hundred and one taxes.

For the poor in developed nations, however, the more children they have, the more government benefits they receive. It varies from place to place, but it's certainly true in American ghettos. These people aren't productive; they sap the economy, which means they destroy jobs and contribute to poverty. Stop giving them welfare and return money to the productive sectors of the economy and watch as poverty decreases and the standard of living increases.

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, it's almost like the government wants these hoodlums with an IQ of 80 to pump them out one by one, they know people work the system, yet they continue to cater to these subhumans. I decided a long time ago not to procreate because my family has a long lineage of mental illness and I just can't bear to bring someone onto this earth that has upwards of a 50% chance of developing a serious illness. I believe it's fate really, I am 28 now and still have no desire for children. Forget the ticking clock, I doubt I've even been assembled with one. But this just goes to show how many people of lower intelligence are walking this earth right now and look at their children simply as a meal ticket.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I think procreation should be controlled. That would be spectacular if we could pull that off. Infact I would be for putting chemicals in the nations water supply to cause impotence, as well as many other nations. Especially Africa- they need to stop procreating for sure. It would be great if we could burn out the balls and kill the eggs.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I know. I have no reason to take birth control right now though and I don't want to take it. It comes with some risk you know. I prefer to be free to pick my options not have them forced upon me. But if you men want to take male birth control all the time by law (not sure where the research is on this anymore) then fine by me. Pop those pills, or whatever it ends up involving. (I'm okay with surgical procedures too.) I would also like you to document every time you have sex so I can have it on record, thx. (by "I", I mean the government or whoever is implementing this mandatory birth control crap)

Well not really fine by me, I just find this topic retarded. I just can't believe that people actually think it's okay to force other people to do this.
    I'm with Loki on this one. Birth Control isn't as miraculous and straight forward as it seems. Pumping your body full of hormones can seriously mess with you. I'm on my third type of birth control right now trying to find one that doesn't turn me into a basket case, leave me dehydrated and turn me into a sexual zombie. Birth Control treats different women different ways and forcing women to be on birth control would not be healthy. Same goes for men if/when a male equivalent comes to the market.

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I think a good practice would be to offer some sort of long term birth control program to welfare recipients parents/parent with more then 1 child along along with a incentive for participating in the program. More aid if they get on birth control versus if they are not on birth control. The logistics of the issue being that in the long run this will save more money.

Birth control programs should be incentive based for recipients of government aid, they are the ones at most stress and need. Punitive policies often produce more stress where there is already a lot of stress, while incentives offer rewards for long term planning.

There is no need to use force when we can use incentive, but ultimately there are people who will fail despite these measures and we will only be able to punish them for neglect and child abuse as we find all sort of damages in their wake.

Procreation is one of those biological impulses which we have, and it's impossible to regulate tightly. But incentives, positive coercive tactics towards good practice and educational programs about birth control are all meaningful tactics to address the problem.
    This is what I was going to say. It makes more sense to give people incentives, better education and access to birth control methods. This way they can find a method which works for them best, doesn't discourage people from procreating entirely, but does make them stop to think about it.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vero View Post
    This is what I was going to say. It makes more sense to give people incentives, better education and access to birth control methods. This way they can find a method which works for them best, doesn't discourage people from procreating entirely, but does make them stop to think about it.
    Ah who am I kidding....
    Send in the flamethrowers...

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    Lol, I think you meant sterilization? (not impotence)
    LMAO

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No... but I don't really believe in human rights. Or at least I believe in human rights as much as I believe in human's lack of rights ("we all deserve to die, tell ya why, Mrs. Lovett, tell ya why").

But practically, there is no situation in which one could reasonably punish people for having sex and accidentally getting pregnant. That's actually one of the themes of the play I'm in right now, Measure for Measure. So while people may or may not have the right to procreate, it is certainly illogical/impracticable to attempt government penalties for illegal procreators, except if you're going to have laws against fornication in general, maybe, and OBVIOUSLY that will never happen again, at least in the next 200-250 years.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is the duty of women to make babies.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)