View Poll Results: Do you desire [and/or embark on quests] to "keep up with" [nay, defeat!] others who are do

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; I strive to keep up with/beat them. [I AM AN SE-VALUER]

2 9.52%
  • Yes; I strive to keep up with/beat them. [I AM A NON-SE-VALUER]

0 0%
  • Nah; I don't pay attention to that kind of thing. [I AM AN SE-VALUER]

4 19.05%
  • Nah; I don't pay attention to that kind of thing. [I AM A NON-SE-VALUER]

15 71.43%

Thread: POLL: The desire and quest! to "keep up with the Joneses"

Creepy-

Default POLL: The desire [and quest!] to "keep up with the Joneses"

Type-related?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... I think I'm less this way than I used to be.

That would make my answer yes and no, so I won't vote.

I do think that it has a lot to do with what area you're competing in, though.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Germany has declared war on the Jones boys.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, first of all, I don't even like the Jonas brothers, so I don't feel this question applies to me.

Creepy-Cyclops

What a ridiculous poll, you need to grow up and free your mind from this stuff Soap.

And I thought you were educated

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I do think that it has a lot to do with what area you're competing in, though.
    Yeah, I think that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Germany has declared war on the Jones boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Ok, first of all, I don't even like the Jonas brothers, so I don't feel this question applies to me.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    What a ridiculous poll, you need to grow up and free your mind from this stuff Soap.

And I thought you were educated
    Wait, what? I wondered if something was type-related and made a poll. How silly of me. lol @ you, Mr. Cyclops.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've known people of a lot of types like this: ESI, SEE, ESE, hmm LIE, LSI, probably tons more. I'm thinking if it is at all type related, it's probably only marginally so.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-male

I don't even know who the Joneses are. But then again, I wear my dressing gown as casual wear.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    I've known people of a lot of types like this: ESI, SEE, ESE, hmm LIE, LSI, probably tons more. I'm thinking if it is at all type related, it's probably only marginally so.
    Yeah, maybe it isn't.

I remember reading someplace [maybe the wiki?] that this is an Se thing, but I never understood exactly why. I wanted to ask the question here bc I know several non-Se types who are like that, and some Se types who don't seem to be.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoapOfSapphire View Post
    Yeah, maybe it isn't.

I remember reading someplace [maybe the wiki?] that this is an Se thing, but I never understood exactly why. I wanted to ask the question here bc I know several non-Se types who are like that, and some Se types who don't seem to be.
    It seems like valuing Se could give a tendancy toward that in some people, but there are non-Socionics issues that it seems like could influence it as well, such as the values of the people around you. You don't care about keeping up with the Joneses unless the Joneses are worried about competition as well, generally. Competition seems fairly contagious. But I will say that my husband and I are not like that, and looking at my list it's mainlly Se-valuing people, isn't it? And even the ESE could be mistyped and could be an EIE. I'm not sure about him. His wife is LII but I can't assume they're duals.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. But there's one helluva lot of it in Atlanta. It depends on what social segment they're in, and how much disposable income they have.

I like well-designed anything, but I don't accumulate it to show my superiority over those who don't have them, or one-up my next-door neighbor.
    IEE

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do pay attention to that kind of thing (in the sense that I'm observant to how other people take it), but my strivings in life are far from things like that... I mind my own business and I'm happy for my own achievements and progress. I can feel genuinely happy for other people too, especially for those I feel as close, but I rarely feel the need to compare/measure/whatever myself with them. So that's never a motive for me. And I would say that I often feel despise towards people who are like that.
    Last edited by Park; 04-27-2010 at 05:15 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by soaps
    Wait, what? I wondered if something was type-related and made a poll. How silly of me. lol @ you, Mr. Cyclops.
    Well, assuming you've read one or two things in your studying and assuming you've met various people, i'd have thought you'd have realised that personality comes in all forms.

I suppose the only explanation I can think of is you haven't thought this through, but fair enough if you still want to ask the question. Perhaps eventually you'll realise it's a poor way of application, but, I let it rest.

Apologies if you somehow took offence at my comment *shrug*.

Edit: Damn, I voted by accident.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 04-27-2010 at 05:26 PM.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoapOfSapphire View Post
    Yeah, maybe it isn't.

The way it's phrased it implies trying to beat others in consumerism, especially when it's impractical and/or you can't afford it. I would suspect it might be related to weak Te, but probably there are people like that of any type.

What I mean is, you might be asking about a different thing but people are going to understand it in a way it relates (or not) to themselves. Also, some are judging others in this way simply because they don't understand the purpose or usefulness of something (so they accuse them of "just following fashion"). So even if what you mean - or something different but what you understood in your way - is Se-related, posing the question this way doesn't work.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    I don't know. But there's one helluva lot of it in Atlanta.
    Yes there is... probably in any major city. Or everywhere...?

I like well-designed anything, but I don't accumulate it to show my superiority over those who don't have them, or one-up my next-door neighbor.
    I'm the same. I like having nice things bc they're nice [good quality, etc.] but the idea of one-upping other people w possessions, etc. seems odd and pointless to me. And kind of mean, depending on how it's done.

Actually this reminds me of something -- I buy a lot of my clothes at thrift stores [oh the thrill of finding amazing, like-new clothes for two or three dollars!], but bc I want to rather than have to [although I often joke that I'm a poor grad student, and I certainly don't have money to burn]. But I would never carry a designer purse w me into, say, Goodwill, bc I would feel like a jerk carrying it there when there are people shopping at the store who really can't afford anything else. Maybe it's just me being a weirdo w my odd guilt complex, but it really wouldn't feel right. Eh, that was off-topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    The way it's phrased it implies trying to beat others in consumerism, especially when it's impractical and/or you can't afford it. I would suspect it might be related to weak Te, but probably there are people like that of any type.
    That is pretty much what I was thinking of, actually. And the weak Te thing is interesting...

What I mean is, you might be asking about a different thing but people are going to understand it in a way it relates (or not) to themselves. Also, some are judging others in this way simply because they don't understand the purpose or usefulness of something (so they accuse them of "just following fashion"). So even if what you mean - or something different but what you understood in your way - is Se-related, posing the question this way doesn't work.
    Yeah, I see what you're saying; it probably would have been better if I had given an example or something. The reason I phrased it that way is that the person who inspired me to make the thread sees it as a "quest." I do know someone else, though, who is all about keeping up with/beating others, but she's sort of quiet about it, not loud/like she's on a public quest to win.

Mostly I just wondered people's opinion on whether it's Se-related or just not type-related or what...
    Last edited by female; 04-27-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    The grapes are sour always about this. Only FDG was sincere among the Joneses' beaters it seems (tuturututu's vote may be a conclusion).
    No surprise about the ratio.
    I actually voted the wrong one by accident.

Can you think of anyone who would be entirely comfortable with the idea of for instance, all his friends doing better in life than themself? The desire for acquisition isn't entirely type related.

OK, look at it this way, say I want to date a girl, and i'm like, well, everyone you know and everyone I know is doing better than me, well, you'd need to be pretty lucky to land a good catch.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think I might have to reconsider my vote on this thing. I voted that I don't much care about this thing/non SE valuer, when in reality, I do care somewhat. However, I generally feel like I don't care enough to put myself in the I strive for this sort of thing category. Why can't more polls have a it depends option?

I guess why I voted I don't care that much is because I perceive keeping up with the Joneses as keeping up with material things, which in general I'm not that concerned about.

However, I tend to compare myself to others a lot in non-material areas. I envy those who have more intelligence or more talent in an area that's important to me. I envy those with more charisma. I envy those who have accomplished more in life than I have.

When a peer gets a job promotion, I envy that. I don't envy that my peer is making more money and can buy more cool shiny things. What I'm envying is her level of job success compared to mine.

I guess when it comes to it, there are a small number of material things I envy in other people. Not fancy cars or designer clothes but for example, I do envy people who have the money to be able to travel the world. I'd love to be able to do that but I've only got a part-time job and I don't make alot of money. Heck, I even find it straining to spend gas money on a day trip. I envy to some degree people who have full-time jobs and make more money than I do. Not for the things money can buy them but for the the ability to be able to afford to do what interests them. Here's a good example:

I belong to a local enneagram group and a couple of times a year there are workshops put on by experts in the field. I'd love to be able to go to one of these workshops but I can't afford to pay the $200. At the last meeting, I found out that almost everyone in the group was going to hear Russ Hudson speak but I couldn't go because I couldn't afford it. I was kind of depressed about that.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP