Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 53

Thread: Do sensors have stronger bodies?

  1. #1
    Airman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,556
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Do sensors have stronger bodies?

    I was wondering whether sensors have a higher resistance to pain, disease and all sorts of things body-related. A friend of mine thinks this way.

    I myself often stumble on objects while walking in a hurry and people are often taken by surprise at me just not feeling any pain by hitting an eventual obstacle with my body. Sometimes I get swollen but I dont notice it until I look at it when I have no clothes on. This is a bit scary because it seems my body does not feel much pain, and pain is very much needed as a mechanism to stop and recover. I am also amazed at how N types fall easily when they have a flu or something like that. I have a severe pharingytis right now but nevertheless Im feeling okay, and only feel bad when the fever is high, after I take a med and sweat a little, I feel good again, even though my actual state is really bad and I should be in bed. I was wondering whether this has to do with being an S type. Im a bit worried about my body not giving me pain signals. When I broke my nose I felt pain of course. But it seems it has to be a very hard hit for me to feel some pain. This is not very good because it may get me to think Im just fine physically when Im not.

  2. #2
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, mostly. I don't, is that a clue? The slightest headache will really ruine my day and improper response to it will make it worse; proper response is joking and Si (food, pleasure, etc). N types with heavy lower body are very stern; our upper bodies are small and not as strong. We can't play sports with S types that's for sure. Life expectancy is not type related; many N types live healthy lives, they just don't do hard physical labor, we do brainiac things like teach and teach.

    I am currently trying to "work out"

    Stumbling and clumsy is not type related.

    Take and anti inflamatory (to reduce the inflamation) and anti hystamine medicine over the counter like Claritin D; to dry the passages so you don't get a secondary bacterial infection while your body recovers/fights the virus. You will be alright dear, it's nothing serious.

    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-22-2010 at 10:26 PM.

  3. #3
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have pretty good disease resistance, have decent stamina/endurance, am not clumsy, but my muscular strength is comparatively bad for a guy.

    My ISTj brother is very clumsy for some reason. I hypothesise that beta STs rely on force tactics so much that they neglect their subtle control skills.

  4. #4
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm an ectomorph who is 5'6" and weigh ~120 pounds. I have a hard time building any kind of muscle, but I've trained myself to do up to 80 push ups and get lots of stamina when running. And I have naturally strong legs that can run pretty fast.

    I also worked a really tough job unloading heavy freight when I was 18, and I forced myself to outdo everyone else by practically sapping all my energy reserves every day and injuring myself, which hurt.

    I absolutely loathe the idea of training my body to look buff and I don't want to craft my physique into some rugged machine. But I don't mind developing my Se role function (though there is some Si there too) and I like the idea of being fit and having endurance and stuff.

    I'm pretty sure I'm an intuitive.
    Last edited by xerx; 04-22-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added some stuff
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  5. #5
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    I'm an ectomorph who is 5'6" and weigh ~120 pounds. I have a hard time building any kind of muscle, but I've trained myself to do up to 80 push ups and get lots of stamina when running. And I have naturally strong legs that can run pretty fast.

    I also worked a really tough job unloading heavy freight when I was 18, and I forced myself to outdo everyone else by practically sapping all my energy reserves every day.

    I absolutely loathe the idea of training my body to look buff and I don't want to craft my physique into a rugged machine. But I don't mind developing my role function and I like the idea of endurance and being strong and stuff.
    LOL-humm ILE/LII?

  6. #6
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    LOL-humm ILE/LII?
    ILE.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  7. #7
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    ILE.
    Yes I gathered that. Welcome! I never said. I will not supervise you, I am very conscious of my self.

    I have been trying to tell people that N types have a very hard time building muscle but they won't believe me.

  8. #8
    Airman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,556
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks Maritsa, I already went to a doctor today the surgeon who operated my nose and he told me what to take.

    Labcoat, I am very much like that also. Im thin, not muscular, my muscular strength is not very much also. It seems its more related to S type than to muscle strength. A very muscular N type may have much less physical resistance.

  9. #9
    Airman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,556
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I never liked a lot to do gym to get muscles or any violence related thing such as boxing. I used to swim, and still like to swim whenever I can, and play soccer, I spent my whole child/adolescent phase very much with these two things.

    I am now considering going back go gym - I worked out for some months but it was so boring - since Im very sedentary these days. But getting muscles is something which I really do not see as an important thing. I prefer shooting for example. Shooting is much more fun I guess because you have to use Te, its not just pulling some weight or punching someone. These types of easy activities seem to be made for ESTPs and other types.

  10. #10
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    I never liked a lot to do gym to get muscles or any violence related thing such as boxing. I used to swim, and still like to swim whenever I can, and play soccer, I spent my whole child/adolescent phase very much with these two things.

    I am now considering going back go gym - I worked out for some months but it was so boring - since Im very sedentary these days. But getting muscles is something which I really do not see as an important thing. I prefer shooting for example. Shooting is much more fun I guess because you have to use Te, its not just pulling some weight or punching someone. These types of easy activities seem to be made for ESTPs and other types.
    What are you shooting at?

  11. #11
    Currently God Brilliand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    4,246
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It isn't that intuitives need to work harder physically to build muscle, but that we generally dislike the sorts of activities that would result in us building muscle (whereas sensors are more likely to enjoy those).



    LII-Ne

    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

    Johari

  12. #12
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    I have pretty good disease resistance, have decent stamina/endurance, am not clumsy, but my muscular strength is comparatively bad for a guy.
    I am sort of like this. Too lazy to build muscle.
    Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  13. #13
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've always been pretty strong. Not sure why, because I don't work out or anything. I just pretty much play the piano and walk places. :-p I'm always aware of what muscles I'm using during an activity, so I think that helps. Pain in isolation doesn't bother me much in general - it's more the imagining/knowledge of damage being done that bothers me and can make me queasy. I've blacked out a couple of times before speaking up about intense pain, thinking I should bear it. I find it hard to bear pain that comes upon me suddenly though. I guess I'm more sensitive when I'm not bracing for something. Being hit suddenly with freezing water in the shower can seriously scare me. :-p When I haven't eaten for awhile or I'm in a weakened state for some reason, I'm more sensitive to everything and can feel sick just looking at someone who is sickly-looking. Writing about this, and consequently thinking of past experiences is actually starting to make me feel sick. lol FAIL
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  14. #14

    Default

    Building muscle revolves more on lifestyle than type in my opinion. Just lifting weights and going crazy with exercise isn't going to make you strong. I think that's the misconception many intuitive types have and perceive it being more difficult to build muscle. Diet has a lot to do with it, and so does resting. You have to eat a lot of carbs, and protein, and I mean a lot, and it has to be healthy, eating chocolate donuts isn't the right kind of carbs. Healthier carbs like spaghetti or brown rice are ideal and most effective. You also have to have a lot of sleep for your body to do its work. When you're lifting weights you have to add a little bit of weight continuously over time (not everytime but its important not to stay to stagnant, if you want to tone however, stay at the same weight but do more reps). The reason your body is building muscle is that it's adapting to the amount of stress your putting it through. This is why rest is just as important as physical activity, constant stress leaves no time for it to adapt and is more likely to just cause damage, and muscle damage is just that, it doesn't help build, just tear down.

    A lot of this does require paying attention to how your body feels and its limitations, which is something a sensor may possibly be more likely to be skilled at. I think it focuses most on awareness, but that is speculation and I am still studying functions so I may be mistaken. I do not believe, and see no scientific evidence towards the idea that sensors are biologically more likely to have naturally stronger bodies, other than what Brilliand said about them prefering the activities required that an intuitive person may find less interesting or enjoyable.

    As for have more physical resistance and a larger threshold of pain, I speculate that it's because a sensor typically would pay more attention to their body, so know that temporary pain is a passing thing and natural, where as an intuitive may be less in tune with the signals their body sends them, so have a more difficult time distinguishing a mild problem i.e. Maritsa's headaches that ruin her day to something more extreme. Maybe intuitives find it more difficult and less natural to block out the pain because they are less adept at distinguishing the relevance of the data their body gives them. All of this paragraph is speculation however, so do not take it too seriously, I may still lack a good grasp of functions and how they work.

  15. #15
    i'll tear down the sky Mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    TIM
    NeFi
    Posts
    1,108
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Things like this aren't type related. There are many Nx egos that are strong and healthy, and I don't think there's a distinct correlation. I think the bias come from an MBTI sort of assumption that "S" types are more physical and active, but that doesn't carry over into Socionics.

  16. #16
    Poster Nutbag The Exception's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    my own personal bubble
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    4,108
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    It isn't that intuitives need to work harder physically to build muscle, but that we generally dislike the sorts of activities that would result in us building muscle (whereas sensors are more likely to enjoy those).
    Yes
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP



  17. #17
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    For the record, I almost never know which muscles I'm using for any activities or whether I can even use different muscles. I can't feel my internal organs or intuitively sense how different parts of my body relate to each other anymore than the average car owner understands how the engine and carburetor are related. When I try to think about any of these things I draw a complete blank. My body just works - it does stuff on its own - and that's all I know or need to know.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  18. #18
    constant change electric sheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,296
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think Airborne has a stalker
    The saddest ESFj

    ...

  19. #19
    Logos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,406
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    I have pretty good disease resistance, have decent stamina/endurance, am not clumsy, but my muscular strength is comparatively bad for a guy.
    I am quite skinny and underweight. Despite this, I have a fairly hardy constitution when it comes to sickness. Though it may just be that I'm too stupid to recognize my sickness and just otherwise ignore it instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    It isn't that intuitives need to work harder physically to build muscle, but that we generally dislike the sorts of activities that would result in us building muscle (whereas sensors are more likely to enjoy those).
    Well said. The IE of our functions shape the priorities of our lifestyles. All human beings have roughly the same capacity to develop their body strength. Not everyone is equally concerned about it though.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's partially related to your energy metabolism type. EM sensing types are strong, EM intuitives are comparatively weak. They also do a lot more outdoors activities, too. (usually)

    However, show me a physically strong LII (IM) and I'll question your assertion that they are LII. It's not impossible for an LII to gain strength, but it is next to impossible to convince them to actually use gym equipment rather than create their own routine culled from about a dozen different exercise manuals.

    There are two LSEs in my family, my dad and a cousin, and both of them have enormous strength wrought from years of hard work. I've always dreamed about being strong like my dad but, I've never had the constitution to exercise without being laid back for weeks at a time. That's the real problem with me and exercise: I don't quickly recover.

  21. #21
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    I was wondering if some dancers, like ballet are usually N types, I think that considering they typically never eat then it would be useful not to be S focused and not even be aware they are hungry. At least the girl ones. Why do I imagine these guys being typically INFp?

    A lot of female models look N to me.

    Skinny with no appetite.

    In regards to myself, i'm fairly tall and am good at picking things up in terms of manual labours of various descriptions. I enjoy these sorts of activities (physical related things in general, rock climbing, canoeing, cycling, running, hilwalking), so it's important that I have strength and fitness to do them, but i'm not interested in massive muscles, that's just for gay bears.

  22. #22
    The devil whispers close to my ears. Quote Unquote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm an intuitive type, and I really disagree with fellow Alphians and other NT here on this thread. I'm not the kind of person who thinks that every abstract conception is totally flexible. I do agree that Sensors tend to have, or almost always have stronger bodies, I won't use myself as an argument just because I'm a physically weak ENTp. I'm not a person who thinks that everything is possible, in physical world almost every human conception finds its own tangible negation, almost everything is able to state itself wrong and right at same time, science works always with the dilemma of falsifiability. But can exceptions be used to build applicable knowledge and guidelines for our conceptions of reality? Can minor exemplars of the nonexistence of an absolute rule be enough for invalidating the imminent necessity of building guiding models of world representation? If every single law were ruled out due to verification of inherent exceptions to the theoretical system in question, we would have no principle neither law of regulation in our world science, not even the most prosaic of all laws, cause-consequence. I defend that a law should be always be taken as true when its application can be helpful and useful for everyone who has assimilated such law. We always needed a sense of factuality for being the crafty race we are. That's why I state my objection against any unreasonable "debunking eagerness", a mania that is so common on these materialistic days.

    There are some intuitions we have that seem to be quite rushed in, or even too shallow, too initial. Some people would even take them as prejudice, as preconceived inferences, but we can be harmful to our own selves if we don't take these insights seriously, at least in my case as a lead type, I always trust my "prejudices", I never ignore them, and they are always full of inner richness, I can say they are a source of eternal realization for me. Most of the times, our first impression is the best of all.

    All sensors I know have stronger bodies than intuitive people, they have a body-mind unity and complete mechanical awareness of their physical extension and existence. They have a more complete body consciousness, that just for itself is enough for stating that they have a more powerful body dominance than us, intuitive types. They have greater physical presence/influence regarding their egos, much greater than ours. I do believe completely that the mind, the ego, the personality, has strong ties with the body; the nervous system is spread through out our body, that's enough for stating that our perception, coordination, field of action/direction and nervous reactivity is in complete symbiosis, dependence and mutualistic harmony with the entire body, that's why their "body thinking" should really be taken into account. Body and brain can't exist independently one from the other, that's why they are supposed to exist together. What intuitive types lose in material reality, we gain in abstract reality.
    Ein neuer Mann

  23. #23
    "Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    near Russia
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am not physically strong. But I like physical work if I can do it in my own phase.
    I cannot stand heat, nor the cold.
    2 years ago I discovered that lifting weights in a gym is fun! Before that I thought it was just for macho guys.
    I have a low threshold for physical pain.
    I suspect that many male SEIs have lower testosterone, including myself.

  24. #24
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,624
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have average strenght among the male population of my age, I think. Definitely above average among my immediate college peers, but that's because people in college tend to be extremely un-sporty. I think, though, I need to be "prepared" to use it - many sensors are better at reacting on-the-spot with the appropriate level of force. As far as feeling your muscles when performing a given activity: I used not to, now with practice I do.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  25. #25
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reclaimpower View Post
    Building muscle revolves more on lifestyle than type in my opinion. Just lifting weights and going crazy with exercise isn't going to make you strong. I think that's the misconception many intuitive types have and perceive it being more difficult to build muscle. Diet has a lot to do with it, and so does resting. You have to eat a lot of carbs, and protein, and I mean a lot, and it has to be healthy, eating chocolate donuts isn't the right kind of carbs. Healthier carbs like spaghetti or brown rice are ideal and most effective. You also have to have a lot of sleep for your body to do its work. When you're lifting weights you have to add a little bit of weight continuously over time (not everytime but its important not to stay to stagnant, if you want to tone however, stay at the same weight but do more reps). The reason your body is building muscle is that it's adapting to the amount of stress your putting it through. This is why rest is just as important as physical activity, constant stress leaves no time for it to adapt and is more likely to just cause damage, and muscle damage is just that, it doesn't help build, just tear down.

    ..
    QFT I learned all of this the hard way. And it's 100% true.


    A lot of this does require paying attention to how your body feels and its limitations, which is something a sensor may possibly be more likely to be skilled at. I think it focuses most on awareness, but that is speculation and I am still studying functions so I may be mistaken. I do not believe, and see no scientific evidence towards the idea that sensors are biologically more likely to have naturally stronger bodies, other than what Brilliand said about them prefering the activities required that an intuitive person may find less interesting or enjoyable

    As for have more physical resistance and a larger threshold of pain, I speculate that it's because a sensor typically would pay more attention to their body, so know that temporary pain is a passing thing and natural, where as an intuitive may be less in tune with the signals their body sends them, so have a more difficult time distinguishing a mild problem i.e. Maritsa's headaches that ruin her day to something more extreme. Maybe intuitives find it more difficult and less natural to block out the pain because they are less adept at distinguishing the relevance of the data their body gives them. All of this paragraph is speculation however, so do not take it too seriously, I may still lack a good grasp of functions and how they work
    I think you're absolutely correct.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  26. #26
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Almagest View Post
    I'm not a person who thinks that everything is possible, in physical world almost every human conception finds its own tangible negation, almost everything is able to state itself wrong and right at same time, science works always with the dilemma of falsifiability. But can exceptions be used to build applicable knowledge and guidelines for our conceptions of reality? Can minor exemplars of the nonexistence of an absolute rule be enough for invalidating the imminent necessity of building guiding models of world representation? If every single law were ruled out due to verification of inherent exceptions to the theoretical system in question, we would have no principle neither law of regulation in our world science, not even the most prosaic of all laws, cause-consequence. I defend that a law should be always be taken as true when its application can be helpful and useful for everyone who has assimilated such law. We always needed a sense of factuality for being the crafty race we are. That's why I state my objection against any unreasonable "debunking eagerness", a mania that is so common on these materialistic days.

    There are some intuitions we have that seem to be quite rushed in, or even too shallow, too initial. Some people would even take them as prejudice, as preconceived inferences, but we can be harmful to our own selves if we don't take these insights seriously, at least in my case as a lead type, I always trust my "prejudices", I never ignore them, and they are always full of inner richness, I can say they are a source of eternal realization for me. Most of the times, our first impression is the best of all.
    !!
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  27. #27
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    ...many N types live healthy lives, they just don't do hard physical labor, we do brainiac things like teach and teach.
    Thats not true, I am N to the core, but I used to work at an HEB pushing carts day in and day out. Sometimes I would have to do it while it was raining and 40 deg F outside, other times I would have to do it in Texas heat with it blazing down at 100 deg F and humid. You'de always have to push like 4-12 carts at a time, sometimes you'de get a person to help you out and push a huge train of carts. One person would steer and the other would push.

    So I mean the physical labor thing is out the door. I actually enjoyed doing the physical labor thing because somedays I wouldn't feel like getting nagged on by managers and customers so I would just push carts with my ipod on, or I would just spend time thinking and go on autopilot. The steady rhythmn of physical activity (driving, walking, running, working, sex, writing, tapping and nervous movement) helps jog my mind.

    I think what you see with sensors is that they are merely more aware of the sensations they experience.

    I also am a bit heretical, but I like to occasionally say.... lets restrict an N type from being an N, then if they can't be intuitive, what sensor type would they be? I do this because I believe no personality dicotomy is black and white. Intuitives are perhaps 60% intuitive and 40% sensing.

    This works great with some MBTI based ideas, but its hersey in the world of jungian functions.

    Anyways I'd say if I weren't an intuitive I'd either be an ISTp, ISFp, or ISTj.

    To circle back around though, I think it depends on the sensors, I can definitally see how some ISFp and ESFj types want to be pampered and don't really enjoy pain. Where I can see certain maybe certain ST types being very resisiliant to pain because they are well aware of what their bodies can take, they are well aware of how to conserve energy, and well aware of how to survive in this manner due to their acute perceptions of their more earthly perceptions.

    Intuitors aren't so earthy in their perceptions, but I think certain xNTj can be very harsh and disciplined enough to resist pain out of shear mental will and focus. I think this is the idea of the archetypal asian monk who has mind over matter. Its a very INxj thing to have that mental discipline and focus.

    So in short its complex, you can't just let the floodgates open and start making these broad generalizations without somehow connecting your ideas the reality. Which of course is the problem intuitors suffer.

    BTW just for physical reference, I'm somewhere between an ecto/mezomorph (think basketball player over weightlifter) around 6'3'' and 190lbs with broad shoulders and long limbs, but not particularly refined in the sense of muscles and hygene. Alot of times I'll forget to shave and get really scruffy etc, because of absent mindedness, and every time I start to establish a routine of physical exercise to refine my muscles etc, I always loose track of it because I don't like routines and I'm absent minded. Basically I'm built like a white basketball player or something, so I'm not the frail intuitive whose extremely brainy, but I still value the mind greatly being an LII.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    It isn't that intuitives need to work harder physically to build muscle, but that we generally dislike the sorts of activities that would result in us building muscle (whereas sensors are more likely to enjoy those).
    This is reasonable

    Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    All human beings have roughly the same capacity to develop their body strength. Not everyone is equally concerned about it though.
    I think however their are certain constraints based on body type and biology. I for example am somewhere between ecto/mezomorph, I'm probably not capable of bulking up to the size of a heavyweight wrestler or football lineman, because my build isn't square and solid enough. For endomorphs its easy for them to bulk up. So I think a person body structure, metabolism, and so forth affects their physical potential.

    I mean just look at fucking kenyans they are built to sprint and leap, its probably something genetic possibly. Although its borderline racist to suggest such a thing, such physical characteristics of different cultures is not something that is unobservable.
    Last edited by male; 04-27-2010 at 07:53 AM.

  28. #28
    Airman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,556
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    interesting this topic has become.

    what I really meant to say was, 'do sensors have more resistant bodies, generally speaking?' of course every rule has its exceptions as claudius put it. but I do think that sensors have more resistant bodies, NOT STRONGER IN THE SENSE OF MORE MUSCULAR, BUT STRONGER IN THE SENSE OF BEING MORE RESISTANT, RESILLIENT, HARD TO PUT DOWN AND WHEN DOWN, RECOVER MORE RAPIDLY. Again this is a generalization with exceptions. But it is true to me.

    I had severe asthma and headaches my whole childhood and beggining of adolescence, but I was very sturdy, it simply did not make me feel bad enough not to go to school for example, there were lots of days I wanted to go to school but my mother would not let me because I had spent the night at hospital taking asthma meds intravenously. She was always very proud of this sturdiness of mine, saying I always had 'incredible willpower', although I do not think this is the correct statement. I think Sensors are more apt to withstand physical difficulty than Intuitives, generally speaking, just this.

  29. #29
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    interesting this topic has become.

    what I really meant to say was, 'do sensors have more resistant bodies, generally speaking?' of course every rule has its exceptions as claudius put it. but I do think that sensors have more resistant bodies, NOT STRONGER IN THE SENSE OF MORE MUSCULAR, BUT STRONGER IN THE SENSE OF BEING MORE RESISTANT, RESILLIENT, HARD TO PUT DOWN AND WHEN DOWN, RECOVER MORE RAPIDLY. Again this is a generalization with exceptions. But it is true to me.

    I had severe asthma and headaches my whole childhood and beggining of adolescence, but I was very sturdy, it simply did not make me feel bad enough not to go to school for example, there were lots of days I wanted to go to school but my mother would not let me because I had spent the night at hospital taking asthma meds intravenously. She was always very proud of this sturdiness of mine, saying I always had 'incredible willpower', although I do not think this is the correct statement. I think Sensors are more apt to withstand physical difficulty than Intuitives, generally speaking, just this.
    I really don't know, I like the spin brilliand put on it. I don't really see how something about cognitive preference influence a person's physical make up.

    With that said, I don't doubt what you've said about yourself, I am just not sure its because your a sensor.

  30. #30
    ._. Aiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    interesting this topic has become.

    what I really meant to say was, 'do sensors have more resistant bodies, generally speaking?' of course every rule has its exceptions as claudius put it. but I do think that sensors have more resistant bodies, NOT STRONGER IN THE SENSE OF MORE MUSCULAR, BUT STRONGER IN THE SENSE OF BEING MORE RESISTANT, RESILLIENT, HARD TO PUT DOWN AND WHEN DOWN, RECOVER MORE RAPIDLY. Again this is a generalization with exceptions. But it is true to me.
    You don't get type bonuses to Toughness in this game.

  31. #31
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sensors tend to pay attention to more physical things, so there is a greater likelihood that they would indeed build themselves stronger bodies, or "custom" bodies, based off of their diet and lifestyle. It also makes sense that extroverts would have a likelihood for a stronger body as well, seeing as though they are typically more energetic and initiating on external tasks. But if you're asking if a sensor is likely to be born in favor of sensing, then I tell you no, I don't think it works that way. Socionicists would have you believe otherwise, the ones who believe a lot in VI. This is why they'd get mixed up in the first place, without realizing it, since they assume it's all related back to the same thing.

  32. #32
    jughead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Both NT groups do not understand and verbalize well the functioning of the body (SI matters), and if they do not have a conceptual understanding of such a problem fucking suck at helping.
    The ILI I know is not understanding of the bodies functioning and just thinks people are lazy when they are in pain or there is a physical reason. It's typical western science to be thrown at the problem. Combine that with Fe polr and it makes him insensitive and harsh in communcation they could make teenage girls cry and want to slit their wrists. If the problem is not in the textbook he can't acknolege its existence. He copes with his own health problems in various ways but is not smart enough to reccomend another source of real help.
    Alpha NT's really just woefully manage their own bodies in my expirience.
    I would not want any NT as my general health practioner. Specific things and run of the mill treatments duh im fine with that. Frankly I don't respect alot of doctors and practioners just because of their fancy degree says to and we find out more information all the time where there treatment and mindset limitation lies.
    Basically put because of the verbal/mental whatever difference that makes up socionics I have trouble communciating effectively with them and only end up worse off with most NT help.
    LIE follows crazy yo yo diets and exercise schemes that make me cringe and thats pretty much how he reccomends things.
    The big problem is they follow philosphies which are too harsh and not connected to reality and the way people feel both mood and phsyically and these two things are tied together so it really makes them suck at helping me. I suppose only SF's of their quadra would be able to be automatically helped by them in such manners.
    Just BEING around ST's tends to improve my health and wellbeing. When you can feel in interaction that a person is healthy it tends to rub off on you and vice versa for people that don't feel well.
    When I can FEEL that a person is healthy thats when I kinda know they can help me(not necessarily ST's but you know they have expirience and know what its like to be healthy in general)
    NT's often respond in a fashion like polikujm just did above;giving the general example and model but often without ties to the actual problem and how to explain a thing so a person actually benefits. In response to his argument I say the spice is the worm the worm is the spice, theres probably a structural physical difference between sensors and intuiters that is either inborn or builds up and creates this physical difference. So yeah it "all relates back to the same thing" its like yin and yang. A simple metaphor.
    Both weak sensing and feeling causes them to miss problems of a physical nature and the ability to think more creatively about the situation. For example I believe a large part of the problem with this nation is its lack of exercise that feels good to do it combined with sitting all day makes people fat and feel like shit and messes up their entire sensory perception and they eat shitty. Vigorous exercise releases feel good chemicals and is neccesary for the bodies function to move lymph fluid. ( i believe my fe helps better capture how mood and phsycial things change with each other than a NT but still weak compared to ST or SF.)
    This is of course a theory from my personal exp
    Last edited by jughead; 04-29-2010 at 01:25 AM.

  33. #33
    Airman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,556
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    You don't get type bonuses to Toughness in this game.
    Go to hell. if you dont like me, its your bad.

  34. #34
    Airman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,556
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Sensors tend to pay attention to more physical things, so there is a greater likelihood that they would indeed build themselves stronger bodies, or "custom" bodies, based off of their diet and lifestyle. It also makes sense that extroverts would have a likelihood for a stronger body as well, seeing as though they are typically more energetic and initiating on external tasks. But if you're asking if a sensor is likely to be born in favor of sensing, then I tell you no, I don't think it works that way. Socionicists would have you believe otherwise, the ones who believe a lot in VI. This is why they'd get mixed up in the first place, without realizing it, since they assume it's all related back to the same thing.
    very nice analysis. I agree and could not think of it that way.


  35. #35
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm not physically strong. But I am extremely resistant to sickness. I almost never get sick, not even colds. It's a little bit weird, especially since I have three kids in the house and they all go to the public school. For instance, none of us got either the basic flu shot or the H1N1 shot and nobody got the flu (or even any colds) all winter. I'm really not sure why this is. I'm not neurotic about keeping the house clean either. I don't believe in using that anti-bacterial hand wash stuff, we just use regular soap. I dunno. Genes maybe.

    but this thread isn't about sickness, I realize that. I don't think I'm hard to put down if someone had it in for me. But I do feel like I'm fairly resilient to things like sickness. Any more so than a sensor? I have no idea.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  36. #36
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think so. I'm not a sensor, but I have a tough-as-nails immune system. All my problems are emotional and psychological, not bodily. (I could lose some weight though)

  37. #37
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah redbaron, IEIs are pretty strong, defensively.

    You're trying to mix in like social passivity with general weakness, or something and that's not true.

  38. #38
    Poster Nutbag The Exception's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    my own personal bubble
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    4,108
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I'm not physically strong. But I am extremely resistant to sickness. I almost never get sick, not even colds. It's a little bit weird, especially since I have three kids in the house and they all go to the public school. For instance, none of us got either the basic flu shot or the H1N1 shot and nobody got the flu (or even any colds) all winter. I'm really not sure why this is. I'm not neurotic about keeping the house clean either. I don't believe in using that anti-bacterial hand wash stuff, we just use regular soap. I dunno. Genes maybe.

    but this thread isn't about sickness, I realize that. I don't think I'm hard to put down if someone had it in for me. But I do feel like I'm fairly resilient to things like sickness. Any more so than a sensor? I have no idea.
    Same here except I live alone. I'm pretty resistant to bugs but I also don't go out much. Advantage to being an introvert!
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP



  39. #39
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    If anything it's the opposite. Sensors are more susceptible to physical illness because they engage in external reality more, intuitive people are more susceptible to emotional problems cause they live in their head too much instead of interacting.

    My mom is a sensor, but she has back problems and isn't really athletic. She also really hurt her ankle a few weeks ago. So your theory doesn't really make much sense.

  40. #40
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    You don't get type bonuses to Toughness in this game.
    SF Club:
    +2 Constitution or Charisma, -2 Intelligence or Strength

    ST Club:
    +2 Constitution or Strength, -2 Wisdom or Charisma

    NT Club:
    +2 Intelligence or Wisdom, -2 Strength or Constitution

    NF Club:
    +2 Wisdom or Charisma, -2 Strength or Constitution

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •