Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Function Wise: Whats the Best Way to Self Improve?

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Function Wise: Whats the Best Way to Self Improve?

Is it to focus on the base/creative?

is it to work on the suggestive vs role?

is it to round out the weak ones?

what is it
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm inclined to say that Socionics information isn't necessarily the best way to improve. People throw things simply around about information elements, that don't help at all, if you catch on to what I'm talking about. There is a lot more depth and breadth in self-improvement, where you don't need Socionics to classify those things for you. In the process you may be able to classify some things, and feel like you have some order to what you're doing. You may keep with Socionics beyond your life experiences and improvement. I'm mostly saying this because you can really go on about a detailed thing and explain how it's really related to your type, even though it isn't. You're a human being, expect to have similarities of others, and similarities of certain people who aren't in your quadra.

From my experience, most of my self-improvement has been and has needed to be focused on Fi, my hidden agenda, somewhat paired with Fe I guess. Ethics is ethics. But much of this is in my past and needs to be analyzed, and I need to use and develop my Ni along with it all. Ni+Fi with some Te. So I would certainly say your valued functions. I think all functions can be improved though, and good can come from doing so. These are basically preferences though. If you make one preference over the other, then you aren't necessarily improving, unless you can prove that what you're doing is something realistic and constructive, something that fits your deeper, more personal personality, beyond what Socionics has to say.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use the vulnerable more; dare to use the role; deprioritize the hidden agenda; and use the suggestive less. (if you use it all, emulate you dual's example)

My dad is an LSE and he rarely if ever shows emotion. Our relationship will improve if I can get him to, I think.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meet duals and activators and learn to give them what they need. You can't really develop yourself socionically without good relationships.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post

what is it
    IMO, everything can (and must!) be improved, but we should focus on the polr before anything else if we want to avoid unpleasant situations.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Focus on Creative and HA. Those are the ones where progress is feasable.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm..
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    I agree.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found that learning to let go of the inferiority associated with being weak in my super-ego and learning to accept my ego has been overall the most beneficial aspect that Socionics has played in my self-development.

So, I would say embracing the super-ego has been the most rewarding, and it also seems to attract people who're skilled and valued in my super-id, which is awesome of course
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, I noticed that the Mobilizing function is great when you're using it for yourself/desired use but becomes quickly annoying when others expect you to continually supply it for them when you're in need of it yourself

I get this a lot from dominants who subconsciously attempt to get me to take care of their own Si needs...
    EII INFj

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    I've found that learning to let go of the inferiority associated with being weak in my super-ego and learning to accept my ego has been overall the most beneficial aspect that Socionics has played in my self-development.

So, I would say embracing the super-ego has been the most rewarding, and it also seems to attract people who're skilled and valued in my super-id, which is awesome of course
    For me, this has definitely helped my self-confidence. That is, finally knowing what I am naturally good at (even though it does not seem particularly valued by the world sometimes). On the other hand, what I [plan to] do demands that I develop my role function, which I am glad for because I also have personal interest in doing so.

So I think the best way to self-improve is to try to perfect or at least improve the functions that is demanded by your environment without necessarily compromising who you are.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    For me, this has definitely helped my self-confidence. That is, finally knowing what I am naturally good at (even though it does not seem particularly valued by the world sometimes). On the other hand, what I [plan to] do demands that I develop my role function, which I am glad for because I also have personal interest in doing so.

So I think the best way to self-improve is to try to perfect or at least improve the functions that is demanded by your environment without necessarily compromising who you are.
    Yah
    EII INFj

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never read any socionics article that claims you can self improve your functions.

So I guess a lot of myths are being created in this thread.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The best way to improve is to simply continue to stay connected with people, continue to try and socialize with them, no matter how disappointing or non-ideal it turns out to be.

I know that you'll never ever ever find the right answers isolating yourself and analyzing them from afar.

How do you treat other people? That depends on the individual. But human beings are social, even shy faggy introverts, we're all meant to deal with people. If you don't like other people, well then tell them that! Tell them exactly what you think of them. Perhaps your honesty is what the world needs.

Creepy-male

what is it
    I'd say take a little of the top of the ego, trim around the edges of the super-id, and then get some aqua velva aftershave and get a nice clean shave on the super-ego block with a soothing feeling that won't sting or dissapoint the opposite sex. After that if you have time don't forget to do a little rounding out on the sides of the id block.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I've never read any socionics article that claims you can self improve your functions.

What?

Its said in plenty of places that the more you work on your creative, the better it gets. Perhaps your saying that you can't improve functions in a concious way? I would still disagree.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I see it as consciousness; if you know for instance that with a person of a conflicting or other type, you would not normally get along with, instead of making excuses for yourself and say that it is tied to your functions you can try to understand how you can create a situation where you can get along with people and not have conflicts. I do, however, agree that there are difficult situations, but at least you would have tried.

You can consciously realize who you are and what your potential is and improve the situation you are in by taking a conscious measured approach; true, you are walking on eggshells but we all can learn from one another and grow and foster positive relationships.

An unhealthy verson of myself, is an individual who is too strict and too demanding and too pushy, too idealistic, who doesn't realize that they need to work from within not only themselves but with others and therefore seeming to others to be meaner then they really are.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-23-2010 at 09:15 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're being dense. It's not like an Ne type never learns a new idea just because they're good at picking up that kind of thing. You're not going to tell me there isn't a single interpretation of that statement you can find where it makes perfect sense.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Improving a function equals making it perform its task better. Please don't say it's not doable.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody mentioned the Inert/Contact dichotomy so far. I don't even know if I ever read about it in this forum so most people seem to be misinformed here...

I think it is very important that, theoretically, only Contact functions (2,3,5,8) can really be improved! That's not only theory but also the impression I got over time. The only function that is Weak, Unvalued and Inert is the Vulnerable function - you can't develop it, you just need a dual to do the job...

Your Creative function and Suggestive function get stronger automatically because everyone likes to use them. So the most important part for self-improvement is developing the Role function and the Demonstrative function properly!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the best way to improve yourself is understand how other people naturally fit and have inclinations in social functioning, and also understanding your own part.

As far as becoming a more well rounded or effective person, consult the literature about that, there's plenty of it.

i'm hesitant to prescribe a formula to socionics self development. There are quite a lot of different starting points, it would take a lot of individualizing or a lot of overgeneralizing.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even know if I ever read about it in this forum so most people seem to be misinformed here...
    Just that you can give a bunch of things a collective name doesn't mean they have anything in common.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    Too bad Irrationals can't comply to those how-to's and Rationals are deluded thinking they comply, but they're actually just acting.
    In addition, Rationals become so convinced that those methods work and they "developed" while the others are not willful enough, that they try to impose them on others, thus returning to the starting point - they developed nothing (at least no Irrational function).
    I actually agree with you on those "methods"...even if i'm rational
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'd like further discussion on the matter, I live with an ILI who is annoying me trying to get me to do shit "by will alone", mind over matter type mumbo jumbo sayings and just pisses me off more. If I say you suck your deluding yourself and saying bs he still makes further bullshit.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Self-improvement" is too broad a term.

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is it
    um how do you improve a function?
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To start out, I would personally focus on gaining an awareness of my Role Function, meaning learning when to "channel" it and when to use my base function. However, this is a deep subject and the method of doing this varies depending on what IM you have in your Role.

For me, my entire moral sense is bound up in my perceptions of my parents. There are times when my usual personality suddenly "shuts off" and I find myself being very sympathetic. There is no way to reconcile this with my normal personality (i.e. my ego functions); I simply have to accept it as something that keeps me in check, something that I won't ever really like but must accept and move on--and thus, self-improve.

For the PoLR, what I do is never let myself become too confident about how correct I am. I always keep a door open in the back of my mind that is receptive to criticism and other points of view, though this is something I tend to do less often when I am debating someone. Even when I am "100%" certain about something, it is only because I have made a kind of educated guess that I am right, not because I am actually totally confident about my position.

The role function directly contradicts your core self, so you need to learn to cope with it and realize that it doesn't make you bad, just acceptably flawed like all humans. The PoLR, however, only contradicts your natural preferences when it comes to dealing with the world, so you don't need to cope with it so much as adapt to it, learn how to fit it in to your understanding of the world and then not beat yourself up too much when the times come to finally make a choice and act.

With as my PoLR, I find that I am bad at brainstorming because I have no way of distinguishing between real possibilities and absurdities, so I ask people for input until I feel like I have considered enough possibilities to have arrived at a pretty reasonable conclusion, and then I act. If I fail, it's because I am only human. I may have overlooked something, but all I can do is learn from the mistake and try again (assuming I am still alive).

So to summarize, I would say that you should reconcile yourself to your Role Function and come up with a coping technique for your PoLR.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    um how do you improve a function?
    um by working on it?

:/

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't even think brainstorming exists.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um by working on it?

:/
    how do you work on it.

I still think that improving a function is the same as making your leg longer. Or improving your IQ. It can't be done. You have what you have.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

focus on strengthening the dual seeking function

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

how do you work on it.

I still think that improving a function is the same as making your leg longer. Or improving your IQ. It can't be done. You have what you have.
    IQ is a product of both heredity and environmental factors. The genetic component of IQ can't be changed but the environmental component certainly can.

And functions can be improved to some extent. According to the dimensionality of functions articles, all functions, even your weakest ones have the experience dimension. Therefore you can learn from experience to find what works/doesn't work. However, since your weaker functions have less dimensions, the development of them will never be as sophisticated as your stronger functions.

Dimensionality of functions - Wikisocion

Dimensionality of functions is a well-known way of describing the characteristics of the different positions of Model A in a systematic way. The concept was proposed by Kiev socionists (Bukalov, Yermak) and is now widely applied by socionists across the former Soviet Union.
    • Functions 1 and 8 have 4 dimensions (Ex, Nr, St, and Tm)
    • Functions 2 and 7 have 3 dimensions (Ex, Nr, and St)
    • Functions 3 and 6 have 2 dimensions (Ex and Nr)
    • Functions 4 and 5 have 1 dimension (Ex)
    The four dimensions are :
    • Ex : experience = the ability to recognize patterns and make generalizations based on personal experience
    • Nr : norms = the ability to recognize and apply standard practices from one's surroundings
    • St : situation = the ability to recognize and respond to the subtleties of specific situations
    • Tm : time = the ability to recognize and envision development over time
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you work on it.

No, but you can improve your skill in doing IQ tests.

You can't change which functions you're good at, but you can actually do what you're good at - and possibly make better use of them than you otherwise would.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast