Thread: Preparing for things

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Preparing for things..

..based on what you'll probably/most likely need as opposed to what you could need considering any possible turn of events... Se/Si differences or Ni/Ne differences or something/something else?

Personally, I aim to streamline things as much as possible - be logical about what I'll need so as to not burden myself down.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This reminds me of a discussion my brothers and I had about a game called "Stranded." My SLE brother was a hunter and lived off of raw fish. I set up a huge, fancy camp with gardens and farms and filled storages with supplies and more food then I'd ever need. I took the longest. My SEI brother did a lot of pointless stuff, but was more similar to me than to the SLE. This is the general approach we take to all games.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    This reminds me of a discussion my brothers and I had about a game called "Stranded." My SLE brother was a hunter and lived off of raw fish. I set up a huge, fancy camp with gardens and farms and filled storages with supplies and more food then I'd ever need. I took the longest. My SEI brother did a lot of pointless stuff, but was more similar to me than to the SLE. This is the general approach we take to all games.
    Doesn't the thought of your excess food getting old > rotting > being thrown away bother you?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Doesn't the thought of your excess food getting old > rotting > being thrown away bother you?
    That game didn't have such features. I suppose if that were included, she would have stockpiled non-perishable ingredients (i.e. flour) instead.

Actually, that's pretty much what I did. My tendency was to build up the infrastructure needed to get better and better food (and to perform other tasks, such as killing lions) - I would often neglect to put my preparations to use until I was starving.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    and to perform other tasks, such as killing lions
    lol

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..based on what you'll probably/most likely need as opposed to what you could need considering any possible turn of events... Se/Si differences or Ni/Ne differences or something/something else?

Personally, I aim to streamline things as much as possible - be logical about what I'll need so as to not burden myself down.
    hmmmm if we are talking about a trip i guess i'd say take what i need plus a couple of extra things just in case. i hardly ever use the just in case, but it's nice to have options.

if we are talking about armageddon, then what the heck i'm stockpiling rice, and dried beans, and jerky, water, flashlights, candles, guns, clothes, toiletries, gas, matches, lighters. plus you could get yourself a little trailer in the middle of nowhere to survive the onslaught. books could be good so you don't get bored. blankets. organic medicine guide for field herbs. bullets.

you know, survival stuff.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My luggage is usually significantly lighter than others' travelling with me. It happens that I forget something, but so far it was only things that are easily replaceable.

My mother, on the other hand, always takes everything she thinks of with her, including many things that rarely if ever get used. (She says it's just what mothers do, but in light of Diana's post I'll add she's ESE.).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to be prepared, but in a minimalistic way. I'm a worst-case-scenario person.

So, I might have a lot of "essentials" but they're all things that are likely to be used. Or things I couldn't do without...so I'll take an extra pair of contacts on a trip in case I lose one (and then would obviously be screwed).

I don't take things I never use anyway though (my mom would always try to get me to take hair curlers or hair dryers w/ me on trips even though I never used those items).

I actually moved to NYC w/ only one suitcase (carry on size), and a laptop. And I brought all essential items. So I wouldn't say I pack heavy, but I will bring whatever is essential -- for instance, I brought a cute sweat suit that I could use for PJs or to work out in. A lot of my clothes were versatile like that too. And I only brought one pair of sneakers and figured I'd buy heels later, which worked well as I didn't have room in my bag.

But now that I'm settled in, things are of course more complicated and to go to my ex's for the weekend I'd have to take a tooon of stuff (different shoes for different outfits, etc...ick. I prefer things be minimalist though).

As for plans, I also do the same thing -- I make worst case scenario back up plans for big events. Like, if the guys can't get into this club, we'll go a block and a half to this other place, etc.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a problem with overpacking. As in, I alwasy overpack. My husband ends up going through my bags and asking me if I REALLY need this or that. "This is a lot of stuff to carry through airports." Yeah, but what if we need something? And he'll say that if we get that desperate, we can buy something at our destination, but we probably won't need it so relax.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm a light packer; I take maybe one or two pairs of multifunction shoes for about a week of trip.

Where is the trip? If I go to the wild then I have to know about the plants and I love to eat things on the road...
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    hmmmm if we are talking about a trip i guess i'd say take what i need plus a couple of extra things just in case. i hardly ever use the just in case, but it's nice to have options.

if we are talking about armageddon, then what the heck i'm stockpiling rice, and dried beans, and jerky, water, flashlights, candles, guns, clothes, toiletries, gas, matches, lighters. plus you could get yourself a little trailer in the middle of nowhere to survive the onslaught. books could be good so you don't get bored. blankets. organic medicine guide for field herbs. bullets.

you know, survival stuff.
    lol.. I want to get stranded somewhere with you! :redface: You forgot batteries and a knife though. And a musical instrument.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If it's for a trip, I would treat it differently then for the aforementioned game. I used to bring everything I could possibly want on vacation. Realizing I never used a lot of it, I gradually brought fewer and fewer things. Last summer I didn't even bring my knitting with me. My SLI mom always brings snack foods and a cooler, which I think is silly. Vienna sausages and cheese sticks are not on-the-go snacks. If I were in charge of food, I would bring nothing parishable nor canned.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    As for plans, I also do the same thing -- I make worst case scenario back up plans for big events. Like, if the guys can't get into this club, we'll go a block and a half to this other place, etc.
    It's always guys that can't get into a club.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    This is one of the most boring threads, I think I'll remove its notification manually.
    Why do you exist.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

lol.. I want to get stranded somewhere with you! :redface: You forgot batteries and a knife though. And a musical instrument.
    well you'll just have to take those things yourself.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

By the will of the Almighty. I think his intentions was to destroy something when he has thrown me here, not to pack things up. I'm still trying to figure out what he wants demolished.
    Your home. Why else would he put you there?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

!!! yeah me too.

what kind of musical instrument? violin/fiddle then we could dance.

ILE

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

!!! yeah me too.

what kind of musical instrument? violin/fiddle then we could dance.
    Yeah. And it's small and light enough etc.. could be used for firewood in an emergency. :-p

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to underprepare.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    I tend to underprepare.
    How can you be the #1 threat to America then?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cuz I'm riding a

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cuz I'm riding a

I see

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, me too. Coming underprepared tends to bring the best out of me.
    omg, irrational

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to prepare for things as meticulously as possible. And even more.
    Last edited by Trevor; 04-30-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Creepy-Cyclops

Well, when somethings afoot, myself and my SLI buddy can disappear for a few days, then later explain it with a simple word, and it says it all, "preparation".

Sometimes we don't quite manage it though.

El Presidente de Mi Cabeza GallopingQwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am curious about the differences here as well. I tend to pack with other people in mind first (i.e. I'll bring things like a lighter, multi-use knife tool and small first aid kit because someone around me might need it), and then myself. It usually works out because I'm with jewels, I don't need much stuff with me to cover the basics whether it's going on a long trip or survival camping. I'm not as uber prepared and minimalist as I might sound though, considering some of my personal "essential" items sometimes include things like LED glow sticks and a couple of costume changes.

Some occasionally accuse me of over-packing... until 10 minutes later when they need one of the "extra" things I have with me. And then they don't do it anymore.
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

No trees were destroyed in sending this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I am definitely a 7, and most likely an IEE. Stay tuned for further updates.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jewels as in our jewels here? I assume you dont' mean you have a bunch of diamonds and rubies with you.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

El Presidente de Mi Cabeza GallopingQwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    Jewels as in our jewels here? I assume you dont' mean you have a bunch of diamonds and rubies with you.
    Wouldn't THAT be an awesome example of over-packing? But yeah, the jewels here who responded earlier to this thread.
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

No trees were destroyed in sending this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I am definitely a 7, and most likely an IEE. Stay tuned for further updates.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

omg, irrational
    "Yeah, me too. Coming underprepared tends to bring the best out of me. "

omg, irrational

lol, nice find!!
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. And it's small and light enough etc.. could be used for firewood in an emergency. :-p
    actually we should bring a whole bunch of instruments, that way we could have a band.

ILE

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do firecrackers count?

nah, too random.

ILE

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually we should bring a whole bunch of instruments, that way we could have a band.
    Yeah. To hell with it, we should bring some animals too so we can train them when we get bored and have a circus.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. To hell with it, we should bring some animals too so we can train them when we get bored and have a circus.
    our own survival era cirque de soleil!

ILE

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

our own survival era cirque de soleil!
    And this will be you and I! And other ... random people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast