Thread: People who incessantly repeat themselves

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default People who incessantly repeat themselves

You know, the people who say the same things in a conversation over and over again, making the conversation rather circular in nature.

My question is:

Are there certain types more prone to this style?

Or is it more about the interaction between types. i.e. Is is more about the type of relationship involved rather than the types themselves?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

SEE like workaholicanon
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recall reading somewhere that Te types are like this, but I haven't investigated it in detail.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's in the socionics.com ESFj profile I think.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    It's in the socionics.com ESFj profile I think.
    My ESFj mother has this trait. We're duals but this is one thing about her that bugs me. When she starts repeating herself, I'll start tuning her out because I'm no longer getting anything new out of the conversation. Of course, she'll repeat herself because she didn't think I heard it the first time, not aware that I'm tuning her out because I already know that stuff and know what's she's about to say.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we talking about people who tell the same old stories again and again or like me when I stress something like, "That's crazy, dude. CRAZY!"
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Are we talking about people who tell the same old stories again and again or like me when I stress something like, "That's crazy, dude. CRAZY!"
    I imagine it as someone who says "So you should really Y because X, so you should really Y because X...".

Actually, I think I've done this... anyone who wants to be heard is liable to do this if they aren't acknowledged.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+

I think it was Rick in the Till Lindermen thread who said these elements are used to beat a message into someones head, hence the subconscious need to instill said message
    It's essentially a repetitive, unchanging, form of command

I know my LSI father does this a lot, whether it be in general conversation where he'll often repeat something he said, or slightly change the wording, without realizing he's doing so. It becomes more apparent when he's frustrated in which he'll repeat the annoyance or command over and over to ad-nausea
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    My ESFj mother has this trait. We're duals but this is one thing about her that bugs me. When she starts repeating herself, I'll start tuning her out because I'm no longer getting anything new out of the conversation. Of course, she'll repeat herself because she didn't think I heard it the first time, not aware that I'm tuning her out because I already know that stuff and know what's she's about to say.
    My mother is ESE as well, and she does it all the time. Father (LII) tunes her out but nods or says something like "mhm" every now and then, very patiently.

I think you may wrong about ESEs thinking you haven't heard or something. I say "I know", or "you've already told me that", and my mother is like "you're horrible and selfish and don't want to talk to me!". I'll say "we already talked about it, is there something new?", and then she'll say "well, you HAVE TO talk!". Which to me is absurd, talking for the sake of talking. But, that seems to be what all Fe-valuers around do. I suppose they repeat themselves when they have nothing to say but "have to" talk. Changing topic works best, I find; when there actually is some information to exchange, we're communicating just fine.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a person with ADHD does this. It's very annoying.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did I tell you guys about an ADHD person that I know, she's very annoying.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is this ADHD person that I have met, she repeats herself all the time, very annoying.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, the people who say the same things in a conversation over and over again, making the conversation rather circular in nature.

My question is:

Or is it more about the interaction between types. i.e. Is is more about the type of relationship involved rather than the types themselves?
    I've met gammas who do this alot in arguments and with presenting evidence. They seem to think you're ignoring their point by not focusing entirely on it, so they repeat themselves. But then I've met alphas who talk and talk about things which are really irrelevant, so it evens out.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know people of lots of types who do this. The two who immediately stand out to me are my ESI brother and EIE dad.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    SEE like workaholicanon

I dont repeat myself. . .except in new contexts where people may not know the story, or in response to broken records like yourself.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ESFj boss does this all the time. It's really irritating. I was just thinking of this today, that maybe its an ESFj thing?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen about 8 different types being named. Not one stands out at the moment...

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I've seen about 8 different types being named. Not one stands out at the moment...
    I suspect it's more a relation thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do it and usually laugh about if I notice it. I don't think I do this conciously though, I'll say something and immediately repeat the same thing moments later in different words. The other day I was having a conversation on AIM and after saying something I actually said, "whoa, that was rather redundant...lol"
    If I actually do repeat myself in a situation like some have described here, it is more likely that I don't think the person got what I was saying the first time so I repeated it.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know which types do this but it generally annoys me. Once is usually enough for me.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII View Post
    They seem to think you're ignoring their point by not focusing entirely on it, so they repeat themselves.
    I think this is important in this... because often with people who struggle to communicate with one another, each feels the other just isn't understanding their point, and so both repeat the same points over and over. Each person may be more aware of the repetition in what the other is saying than in what they are saying and may perceive that person as "one who repeats the same shit all the time in convos."

I know one person who I think is LSI possibly who is constantly ranting over limited subjects, like fishing or the government, always saying the same stuff, etc. and generally hammering home the same points (though he doesn't think he's doing that, just that he feels very passionately about these matters and feels the need to express it). This person suffers from stagnation where society just won't bend to the way he wants it and he's unwilling to compromise in the meantime or do anything to bend it more. There is pent up frustration of going, going, and getting nowhere.

I know someone I suspect is SLI who complains about the same things over and over, the hardships of her existence in the form of beaurocratic crap that's always in her way (I really associate it with her IPness... IPs can be the biggest whiners, and most inclined to get stuck in some hole they can't get out of, all imo -- although that's probably a bad representation because I think were it not for certain circumstances, there would be less being stuck in a hole, so actually this is unreasonable). This person is a single mom with three children, one of which has a disability and it's been taking her a while to get back on her feet, so again, it's the going, going and not getting anywhere very fast because there are always set backs (usually due to care for the kid with the disability). So there is frustration again with not being able to move very far. (And I didn't mean to suggest that her situation isn't frustrating and I would whine constantly about it were it my situation I'm sure. Actually I would go insane.)

I know an ESE who repeats the same things she's read in self-help books ad infinitum and relates any topic back to these topics whether it relates or not. This is more of an ideological repeat button. It can get set to different things and may change over time, but it's always repeat, repeat.

I know an ESI who repeats the same "I hate it when people"s again and again, usually brought up by some recent frustration. This is caused by intolerance and perfectionism, imo... people constantly fail to live up to her expectations and she won't lower them, and so people are an endless source of frustration.

I have difficulty guaging what I repeat or don't repeat... I feel I in general repeat similar themes over periods of time, until they change again. I think a lot of times I keep my IP whining to myself, somehow. What's strange is that I seem to have a higher tolerance for people repeating the same stuff... or maybe I just avoid it or try to change the subject. I guess more what I mean is I don't know if I mind it so much.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Dunno but the first type that comes to mind is LSE, based on two people. The other people are just old and have poor memory.
    I make a point never to do that. My dad and pastor, both IEE, do that. When they speak I sometimes ponder the efficiency of duct tape.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that Te types are like this, but I haven't investigated it in detail.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When you talk to yourself, do you have any good conversations?

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you talk to yourself, do you have any good conversations?
    If the quality of that one was anything to go by, I'd say no.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad does this.. but I always thought it's because he wants promptness.. that, and he doesn't trust anyone.Doesn't think they're listening/complying fast enough... or that everyone's somehow absent minded. Not sure of his type.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I think this is important in this... because often with people who struggle to communicate with one another, each feels the other just isn't understanding their point, and so both repeat the same points over and over. Each person may be more aware of the repetition in what the other is saying than in what they are saying and may perceive that person as "one who repeats the same shit all the time in convos."
    This is a good point. Also, people are repeating themselves in a different manner. And when one person repeats themselves in an argument, it's often because they refuse to address the point the other person is making, so the point is stressed again, seen as repetitive etc. Especially between merry and serious types.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this, mostly in more serious disussions with LSIs, who simply don't seem to get the point I'm making. To a lesser extent also with ESIs. But not in cases of smalltalk, only when 'business' is discussed. In those cases both parties seem to be on differently wavelengths and trying to make the other party come to their wavelength.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My question is:

um, SEE is who comes to mind. and LII hatred of redundancy stands out clear as day, lol.

could be a Te valuing thing....pointing out the facts as the present in different ways to make the point.

Ti draws a straight line and is done with it.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Ti draws a straight line and is done with it.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about 90 percent sure that 90 percent of Te types are this way, but I haven't looked into it in any specific detail as of this writing.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about 90 percent sure that 90 percent of Te types are this way, but I haven't looked into it in any specific detail as of this writing.
    People repeat things for different reasons. Sometimes it takes repeating the argument n times until the other person stops to actually consider it, while they're explaining their theory over and over again, repeating themselves as well.

Circular conversation is more of a Fe thing, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    My ESFj boss does this all the time. It's really irritating. I was just thinking of this today, that maybe its an ESFj thing?
    could be. I need feedback from the person I'm talking to or else I have no idea if they understand a word I'm saying.
    The saddest ESFj

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weak Fe often appears as not being able to determine what information is relevant and what information is irrelevant. Fe types don't repeat themselves mindlessly. Show me an instance of it. I can give you tons of examples where Te types have either focused in too closely on irrelevant information or repeated themselves again and again while ignoring responses.
    Last edited by crazedrat; 04-13-2010 at 09:02 PM.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weak Fe often appears as not being able to determine what information is relevant and what information is irrelevant.
    You mean Ti right?
    Stan is not my real name.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I mean Fe. Ti is the structure itself. Fe judges relevance. A thinking function alone cannot discriminate between what's important and what's not.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you repeat yourself a lot, you are more of one type than another type, end of story.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    those lines don't look very straight Brilliand.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I mean Fe. Ti is the structure itself. Fe judges relevance. A thinking function alone cannot discriminate between what's important and what's not.
    Depends on the sort of relevance. is better than for judging relevance to an argument. is probably the best function for determining what we care about in general, without it being clear what we're trying to do with it. Relevance is probably more a Ji thing than anything else, come to think of it - it depends on the thing's relation to whatever else. (Fi=what is relevant to me, Ti=what is relevant to the problem I'm trying to solve.)

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast