Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predicting people's behaviour etcc

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Predicting people's behaviour etcc...

What types are best at predicting how a person will act? What types hate being predicted?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Going from Rick's website, it sounds like Beta quadra is bothered by being predicted. See the part highlighted in red, where it says betas are sensitive to people who analyze their psychology and motives behind their backs. I would think being predicted would sort of fall under this. And beta quadra has valued Ni.

However, aixelsyd's idea that Ni PoLRs would be bothered by being predicted makes sense. So such much for it being beta quadra related.

I also dislike being predicted. And I have strong but devalued Ni. So maybe its more an issue for those who devalue Ni. Then again, maybe it isn't all that type related.

2. Beta Quadra

blocked with :
    This quadra encourages dramatic self-expression with elements of theatricism and melodrama. They enjoy finding artistic means to express romantic, abstract ideals and feelings.

blocked with :
    Types from the Beta Quadra are drawn to hierarchical structures that increase their personal power. They like to see convictions and beliefs materialized physically in the real world. They are often starkly blunt in their views and like "strong" humor.

Subdued elements:
    The Beta Quadra is especially sensitive to and critical of earthiness, pronounced pragmatism, emotional indifference, and people who analyze their psychology and motives behind their backs.

Typical Beta quadra group behavior:
    Lengthy, theatrical monologues. Loud, hearty laughter. Importance given to group rituals such as those related to food and drink. Displays of great generosity and inclusion, but with the demand of emotional involvement in group. Rowdiness. Generally theatrical atmosphere, but with periodic moments of "dead seriousness."
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    Going from Rick's website, it sounds like Beta quadra is bothered by being predicted. See the part highlighted in red, where it says betas are sensitive to people who analyze their psychology and motives behind their backs.
    This sounds like Beta being annoyed with Delta NF... that is, not predicting the future, but something Static about the person's nature.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    This sounds like Beta being annoyed with Delta NF... that is, not predicting the future, but something Static about the person's nature.
    I also find that annoying. I feel like I'm the final arbitrer of deciding what my own nature and essense is. After all, nobody knows me better than me!

It's different when I ask for feedback as to what my type is, in those situations I welcome the feedback, and there may be some blind spot about myself that I'm overlooking. But I don't generally appreciate unsolicited feedback regarding myself.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to think I'm good at predicting others but maybe that is just my Ni HA lol. IME SEEs and SLEs don't like being predicted.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
    I'd like to think I'm good at predicting others but maybe that is just my Ni HA lol. IME SEEs and SLEs don't like being predicted.
    This makes me wonder if it's related to Rational/Irrational. I don't think I'd be bothered by someone predicting my actions, unless they tried to make something of it (using it to plan their own future actions so that I wouldn't interfere with them would be fine). Er... what sort of "being predicted" have you seen SxEs respond badly to? That is, to what use was the prediction being put?

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    What types are best at predicting how a person will act? What types hate being predicted?
    it's written in most ILI descriptions. It's also somewhat written in some Te element descriptions.

Also I think FDG wil soon write some joke about not mind being predicted or so...
    Last edited by Jarno; 04-12-2010 at 08:34 AM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really mind being predicted, for what's worth.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't really mind being predicted, for what's worth.
    I knew that!

Creepy-Cyclops

Some people are easier to predict than others.

I *think* i'm good at predicting peoples behaviours, however I don't really particularly bother doing much with the information.

I've known some Se valuers who use the information to push the persons buttons to get the expected rise.

I suppose I could say I can see these things but typically don't act on them because I have strong but unvalued Se, but then I hate trying to tie everything into socionics

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I knew that!
    lol

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew that!
    Doesn't look like a joke to me.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's written in most ILI descriptions. It's also somewhat written in some Te element descriptions.

Also I think FDG wil soon write some joke about not mind being predicted or so...
    Too bad the editing time betrays you

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The action itself is not all that type related. It would have to do with the manner in which it is expressed. I dislike being predicted inaccurately and/or incompletely, based on a flawed understanding of a persona that project. But I like being predicted accurately rather a lot. I think Ni predictions would normally take the form of knowing what's going to happen but not saying anything unless it's crucial to intervene, and even then, I would normally say it after it happened, like, "saw that coming," moreso than "okay, next you're going to do x." Still, overall, the capacity to predict others' behavior well is related to Ni, and especially Ni blocked with Fe (although gammas can be quite good people predictors too, just in different ways).

I think betas are annoyed by delta NF predicting in the same way that I'm annoyed by Demonstrative Se. What brilliand said is exactly right. Deltas will issue a prediction, perhaps, but it will be grounded in an idea about "who you are" and the expression will still have tinges of that grounding, and as such will be annoying/frustrating to Se/Ni valuers, especially betas. It's kind of like leaking Ni, like they just talk about what's going to happen as a joke almost rather than being very selective and mentioning it when it's important, applying it selectively.

Ni-polrs are annoyed at what they consider to be "unfounded assumptions" about how they're going to behave. Fi and Ne superegos are annoyed at assumptions about who they are unchangingly, and as a result what they're going to do. Maybe.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I want someone to predict when I will want dinner.

And not when I'm disappear for a hour or 2 that I was cheating on them. Or power page me 50 times out of some neurotic-ism.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrong predictions are very annoying if I'm expected to pay any attention to them...

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    What types hate being predicted?
    I do.

Wrong predictions are very annoying if I'm expected to pay any attention to them...
    Seconded.

My relative was so convinced I wouldn't manage to solve a business problem today, that she went ahead and asked me what I'm gonna do about it next, as if it was 100% clear to her that I won't succeed in solving it to my satisfaction. But it turned out otherwise, and I did manage to solve the issue with a couple of additional efforts on my part. Her reasoning (and advice based off of it) annoyed the crap out of me because it was very irrational, and seemed like some sort of paranoia related to time and predicting how things will turn out in advance. Like, coming up with half-baked predictions based on scarce data and convincing yourself (and others) to believe in them. But thank god I'm not like that and never let any baseless "predictions" influence my actions. I don't go about predicting (neither positive nor negative) outcomes, but just do my best to make things work, step by step, following the process and taking optimal action as I go, hoping things will turn out for the best. And even if they sometimes don't, I know I've given my best. That is, if I cared to solve the problem, or reach some goal, or defend my/someone's rights, or whatever...
    Last edited by Park; 04-12-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read somewhere that ISTps are the worst type when it comes to predicting things. (even worse than ESFjs )

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    I've read somewhere that ISTps are the worst type when it comes to predicting things. (even worse than ESFjs )
    Well in my case it's not feeling the need to predict things in the first place, most of the time. The things that I actually can and do predict are things that I have all the necessary background information about, and sufficient past experience I can rely on. But I merely use these as orientation signs and to prevent any recurring mistakes.
    Last edited by Park; 04-12-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This makes me wonder if it's related to Rational/Irrational. I don't think I'd be bothered by someone predicting my actions, unless they tried to make something of it (using it to plan their own future actions so that I wouldn't interfere with them would be fine). Er... what sort of "being predicted" have you seen SxEs respond badly to? That is, to what use was the prediction being put?
    Not necessarily that they respond poorly to it as much as they deny it. They will say that they can't be predicted and in the case of the SLE go a little bit farther and say I am just making assumptions. A kind of "you can't know that!" attitude.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
    IME SEEs and SLEs don't like being predicted.
    I've noticed this too, but how does that make sense with Ni seeking? Aren't they searching for someone who can predict their every move? Is it a test that only IXIs can pass?
    Stan is not my real name.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you provide an example of someone asking for this prediction?
    Honestly I can't recall someone asking me to predict something.
    Obviously this would most likely be a SXE IXI interaction

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i figured as much, im still looking for an example of that happening.
    like a video one for suggestive and for HA

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel View Post
    they aren't looking for predictions of their actions, but those of others.
    But what would stop the IxI from predicting their dual's behavior as well? It just seems counterintuitive that the type that is best at predicting is the dual to the one that hates being predicted.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
    But what would stop the IxI from predicting their dual's behavior as well? It just seems counterintuitive that the type that is best at predicting is the dual to the one that hates being predicted.
    I think it's possible what Se-ego types hate is the other sort of "prediction", one mentioned above as Ne - they might dislike their potential assessed, because it means having the extent of their abilities questioned?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telling someone straight what they're going to do is too vulnerable to "now that you've told me, I'm going to do the exact opposite."

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suck at predicting behavior. The best I can do is say what someone else is going to say half a second before they actually do it. And this I can only do sometimes.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed this too, but how does that make sense with Ni seeking? Aren't they searching for someone who can predict their every move? Is it a test that only IXIs can pass?
    They want someone who can predict their every move but won't tell them they're doing it, I think. They want direction on what course of action to take or not take, but not with reference to what they themselves were going to do, absent your advice. I remember an ILI friend and I predicted something about our SLE friend's behavior (accurately too, if I remember correctly), and he totally flipped out about it. It was kinda funny, tbh.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed this too, but how does that make sense with Ni seeking? Aren't they searching for someone who can predict their every move?
    they don't want someone to predict their move. They want someone who can oversee consequences. Who can stop them when the make a bad move, and who can give them thumbsup for reassuring when things seem prosper.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they don't want someone to predict their move. They want someone who can oversee consequences. Who can stop them when the make a bad move, and who can give them thumbsup for reassuring when things seem prosper.
    Ok great, but why are they so against being predicted if prediction is also Ni?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking out loud, I believe it may depend somewhat on what one is trying to predict. One type may be better at predicting a physical action or response in a single moment, others perhaps intellectual or emotional responses. Also the timeframes involved would

I would have thought that Se types would be best at predicting responses to immediate stimuli.

Ne would perhaps look more at scenarios as to how an individual could act in a general sense.

It seems to me that Ni types spend a great deal of energy developing a specific prediction and therefore need Se to steer towards that vision of the future.

Ne and Si seem more general and Ne predictions seem to be more focused on placing the individual within a position where they are best able to act on changing circumstances as they happen.

I think that perhaps it may also depend on whether the prediction is about one single individual or the behaviour of several individuals are being predicted.

I would have thought (and again this is just thinking out aloud speculation) that extratim types would focus more on individuals not immediatel connected to them and as such would look perhaps more at an external group dynamic, whereas intraverts would spend more time looking at those immediately around them... maybe.

Another thing to consider is how much of a part is the person predicting influencing the behaviour of those being predicted.
    In that sense the ethical types, extraverted types and possibly the irrational types would perhaps be most adept I would have thought. I don't know, what was the question.
    IEE-Ne

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok great, but why are they so against being predicted if prediction is also Ni?
    I don't know if they are against being predicted, it's just that they don't need someone to predict their own behaviour but to predict consequences of actions.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    To your first question, what kind of predition, long-term, short-term? The quality of literally predicting how a person will act I think it's Ni.
    I'm just talking about short-term prediction - like someone saying "ah I knew you were going to say that". Kinda annoys me, because after awhile.. what's the point of saying anything if the person knows what I'm going to say? Surely life must be a mundane affair for them! I'm not very good at predicting people. Sometimes I try to prepare myself for a person's reaction though - going through all the possible reactions in my head.. but it usually turns out to be the one I missed. lol So it's easier to just take things as they come!
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILEs know how to be unpredictable.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if they are against being predicted, it's just that they don't need someone to predict their own behaviour but to predict consequences of actions.
    I understand and agree with you, but my original problem the statement that SEEs and SLEs dislike their actions predicted.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel pretty comfortable at predicting others' behaviors, others say I have an uncanny ability for it. I guess it depends on what sort of information aspect behavior falls under. It would be my guess to assume the / and /Ni: egos would be the best, but I'm not sure if that's residue assumptions from past stereotypes. Something tells me peoples' behavior would fall under 's & 's domains, while the occupation of projecting results under 's & 's, so the egos of said types probably do it the best, and in varying ways. I notice that egos are late to ascertaining a pattern of behavior in people, but that might be quadra values speaking. The / / types tend to have this "let people be" and have them just be themselves without assuming anything, which means they don't tend to create a set of expectations for a long time.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like predicting what Polikujm's next type will be......

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    Hmm do you think Ti valuers would do that?
    Sometimes... as you suggest later in that same post, it depends on the context. If there is something about the way they say it that makes you want them to be wrong, then you will go out of your way to make them wrong. Same for me... one thing that is likely to do this for me is if they assert that they are 100% right, no chance of being wrong, I may make them wrong just to show them that no, it was not a total guarantee. More likely I will just threaten to do so to force them to admit that they were only mostly sure, not 100% guaranteed to be correct, though.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast