Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: The philosophy of ESTjs and ISTps

  1. #1
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default The philosophy of ESTjs and ISTps

    You don't have to think about the way you say something to someone (whether it's possibly too harsh or w/e)... being that if you genuinely care for someone, that'll be evident no matter what you say.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  2. #2
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ideally, yeah. What I say shouldn't affect someone's relationship to me, and I can throw unfiltered and unaltered ideas and words, in pure content, and know they will be able to deal with it - without freaking out or questioning me as a person ... because they already know I'm a good person or trust me, etc.


    Discussing information is free, easy, open, 'non-judged'. It's different from actions, however, in some sense.

    But I know that in reality most people are not really compatible with what I'm saying, and in experience, it's relationship depth, and not socionics type, that ultimately allows for the kind of communication I want. Because with deep relations, I don't have to constantly guard myself against saying something that will simply tilt the other person the wrong way, or have to watch out for words they don't like, or put a lot of modifications on things (ideally).

  3. #3
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    You don't have to think about the way you say something to someone (whether it's possibly too harsh or w/e)... being that if you genuinely care for someone, that'll be evident no matter what you say.
    The problem, of course, that accompanies what you say here and what I said here is that, quite simply, how things are said does have impact.

    And no amount of preferences changes that. It's the way of communication. But yeah, sometimes I want to ignore it.

  4. #4
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    You don't have to think about the way you say something to someone (whether it's possibly too harsh or w/e)... being that if you genuinely care for someone, that'll be evident no matter what you say.
    That's a delta ST using an Fi copout, because they don't want to deal with Fe.

  5. #5
    cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    That's a delta ST using an Fi copout, because they don't want to deal with Fe.
    Does this bother you?

  6. #6
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    That's a delta ST using an Fi copout, because they don't want to deal with Fe.
    Yes, concisely and accurately put.

    Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post
    Does this bother you?
    The answer is pretty much yes even if he or other EIIs don't say it. But Lobo probably will openly admit to it.

  7. #7
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    You don't have to think about the way you say something to someone (whether it's possibly too harsh or w/e)... being that if you genuinely care for someone, that'll be evident no matter what you say.
    Yup. My LSE father said "fuck you" to me 3 or 4 minutes ago. It's no big deal.

  8. #8
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    Yup. My LSE father said "fuck you" to me 3 or 4 minutes ago. It's no big deal.
    Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    You don't have to think about the way you say something to someone (whether it's possibly too harsh or w/e)... being that if you genuinely care for someone, that'll be evident no matter what you say.
    Yeah, they want their words and actions to be independent of people's love and commitment to them. They want to say and get away with everything, but don't want their relationships to be cut because of their actions.

  9. #9
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Why?
    He said, bring me xyz from the attic. I brought xyzs, but the bigger ones. He then said: "fuck you, not those, the smaller ones, in the bag!" "OK" I said and brought him the smaller ones.

  10. #10
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    He said, bring me xyz from the attic. I brought xyzs, but the bigger ones. He then said: "fuck you, not those, the smaller ones, in the bag!" "OK" I said and brought him the smaller ones.
    Next time tell him that cursing at you is not a good thing. No, better yet, don't wait for the next time. Get him in a good moment then remaind him about the situation and then tell him that it was not good of him to say that and DO tell him that it hurt your emotions, because he shouldn't act like it's ok for him to say and do whatever he wants.

  11. #11
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Next time tell him that cursing at you is not a good thing.
    You do not know our ways.

  12. #12
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    ..and DO tell him that it hurt your emotions.
    I don't want to lie to him.

  13. #13
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    But I know that in reality most people are not really compatible with what I'm saying, and in experience, it's relationship depth, and not socionics type, that ultimately allows for the kind of communication I want. Because with deep relations, I don't have to constantly guard myself against saying something that will simply tilt the other person the wrong way, or have to watch out for words they don't like, or put a lot of modifications on things (ideally).
    I think every type wants this. But Fi-valuers want it through Fi and being free from Fe (as much as is possible), and vice versa for Fe-valuers.

    Not that I believe in maturity, because I'm Peter Pan and I think growing up can wait 'til I'm dead, but maturity has a lot to do with accepting the necessity of things you don't like. The socionics version of this is accepting that even though you don't like [insert IM here], it's a part of reality and you just have to deal sometimes/to some degree.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  14. #14
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Next time tell him that cursing at you is not a good thing. No, better yet, don't wait for the next time. Get him in a good moment then remaind him about the situation and then tell him that it was not good of him to say that and DO tell him that it hurt your emotions, because he shouldn't act like it's ok for him to say and do whatever he wants.
    Maritsa, I disagree with you.

    I was going to say that tutu behaved with great respect towards his father, and I admire tutu for not criticising him and reacting the way he did (I probably would have cried or argued or something. . .shame on me).
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  15. #15
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I say "fuck you" to a friend of mine in humor, there is no emotional damage going on. Maybe that's what tutur was talking about.

    .. but I don't think it's what the OP was talking about

  16. #16
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Maritsa, I disagree with you.

    I was going to say that tutu behaved with great respect towards his father, and I admire tutu for not criticising him and reacting the way he did (I probably would have cried or argued or something. . .shame on me).
    It doesn't matter the age of a person when it comes to morals of behavior towards other individuals, yes it does to customs and ways; but all people are one and should lead a responsible and considerate life, unless their mental capacity does not allow them to do so, then consideration should be given to that first.

    I doubt the dad was humoring when he said FU to the son; that's just plain wrong.

  17. #17
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    Yup. My LSE father said "fuck you" to me 3 or 4 minutes ago. It's no big deal.
    Yeah. It's just like "I love you".
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  18. #18
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post
    Does this bother you?
    Yes it does, because it's an easy, yet probably unconscious/unintentional, way to manipulate Fi valuers who are often oblivious to someone's Fe-phobia. The worst thing you can do, at least to me (I suspect other Fi people are like this as well), is to bs using Fi, especially when I get to find out it was bs. It's just better to come out and explain the Fe issue, especially since deltas won't judge you for that.

  19. #19
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have an SLI friend who is a master at using Fi bs to mask issues that he has when it comes to expressing genuine feelings. I notice it but don't say anything most of the time because I really don't care that much, but when shit hits the fan it's not nice. Delta NFs sometimes baby STs too much, and they end up sharing the fault imo.

  20. #20
    cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Yes it does, because it's an easy, yet probably unconscious/unintentional, way to manipulate Fi valuers who are often oblivious to someone's Fe-phobia. The worst thing you can do, at least to me (I suspect other Fi people are like this as well), is to bs using Fi, especially when I get to find out it was bs. It's just better to come out and explain the Fe issue, especially since deltas won't judge you for that.
    I have an SLI friend who is a master at using Fi bs to mask issues that he has when it comes to expressing genuine feelings. I notice it but don't say anything most of the time because I really don't care that much, but when shit hits the fan it's not nice. Delta NFs sometimes baby STs too much, and they end up sharing the fault imo.
    Yeah, not really what the OP was talking about.

  21. #21
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post
    Yeah, not really what the OP was talking about.
    What do you mean? If that's the case, asking me if it bothered me isn't relevant to the OP.

  22. #22
    cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    What do you mean? If that's the case, asking me if it bothered me isn't relevant to the OP.
    The OP was talking about LSEs having a philosophy of being harsh as long as it was seen as genuinely caring. You started talking about Delta STs ignoring Fe when discussing emotional issues leading on to them "manipulate Fi"/not fully opening up. Which isn't exactly the same thing.

    I was asking you if what the OP described bothered you.

  23. #23
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yup. My LSE father said "fuck you" to me 3 or 4 minutes ago. It's no big deal.
    Sounds like a Resolute type (Ni/Se values).

  24. #24
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post
    The OP was talking about LSEs having a philosophy of being harsh as long as it was seen as genuinely caring. You started talking about Delta STs ignoring Fe when discussing emotional issues leading on to them "manipulate Fi"/not fully opening up. Which isn't exactly the same thing.

    I was asking you if what the OP described bothered you.
    I'm saying that the philosophy comes from not wanting to deal with Fe. To me it's justifying crudeness by saying that it's because "I genuinely care about you," as if it absolves yourself from the way you say it and possible emotional consequences that you can cause someone. It's using Fi to manipulate, and actually I've seen Fe egos use it too... It's the same as saying "no offense" before saying something, and just assuming that the person will not take offense by it, because you are just being "honest." It's bs, you just want to say whatever you want and have other people deal with filtering it. I bet I've done it before too, since it's such an easy copout to use and fall into, but to me the fact is that it's Fe laziness.

  25. #25
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    I'm saying that the philosophy comes from not wanting to deal with Fe. To me it's justifying crudeness by saying that it's because "I genuinely care about you," as if it absolves yourself from the way you say it and possible emotional consequences that you can cause someone. It's using Fi to manipulate, and actually I've seen Fe egos use it too... It's the same as saying "no offense" before saying something, and just assuming that the person will not take offense by it, because you are just being "honest." It's bs, you just want to say whatever you want and have other people deal with filtering it. I bet I've done it before too, since it's such an easy copout to use and fall into, but to me the fact is that it's Fe laziness.
    Sounds like using Fi to not care about Fi, because "emotional consequences you can cause someone" is 100% Fi. I guess that's part of how EIIs take care of LSEs.

    That said, I think Fe-valuers (when among other Fe-valuers) are more inclined to accept "unfiltered" speech (of course, the IEIs among them will always subtly filter their speech regardless).
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  26. #26
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think there certainly is bluntness and harshness to ESTj behavior, but it is not characteristic of them to make pointed effort towards provoking a response or making an impact like there is in Se types. Hence why a "fuck you" statement sounds very anti-ESTj to me. There is just no rational need to use such a term except if provoking is the point of the action rather than a side effect of it.

  27. #27
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    I think there certainly is bluntness and harshness to ESTj behavior, but it is not characteristic of them to make pointed effort towards provoking a response or making an impact like there is in Se types. Hence why a "fuck you" statement sounds very anti-ESTj to me. There is just no rational need to use such a term except if provoking is the point of the action rather than a side effect of it.
    Has to do with cultural context. If you're in a cultural context where saying fuck you is not that big of a deal (and there are plenty of them), saying that, especially in the context that tutururu posted, is completely consistent with ESTjs. Good point though on provocation being intentional vs. a side effect.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •