Thread: Alphians

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alphians..

What personal traits consistently make you most conscious of your mortality/fallibility?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Let's get depressing. )

Creepy-male

I don't understand the question?

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, I can die?

Quite frankly, the question makes me aware of your fallibility.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewZ View Post
    Wait, I can die?

Quite frankly, the question makes me aware of your fallibility.
    ^ That answer makes me conscious of mine.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Perhaps that's where you fail? (j/k)

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I meant something along the lines of "how do you fail at life?"

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's easy. Relationships.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, lately I've been contemplating the heat death of the universe...

It did cross my mind that I would die before then, but I kinda shrugged that off.

Mostly what makes me realize my own fallibility is reading about the limitations of the reasoning abilities of the human mind.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and rubix cubes.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's easy: my conflictor.

Goodness knows SEEs are ever scheming to prevent LIIs from getting dates.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Oh, and rubix cubes.
    Well that's easy to fix! I can show you how when you come to Ottawa, lol.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I meant something along the lines of "how do you fail at life?"
    I normally don't, at least not consistently imo. Willpower probably would be something I fail at. Details also, I fail at details quite much too. Neither of those things bother me much though.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    But it was a waste of time so that's one reason to give-up. Another reason was that my life was so totally different that what I was expecting as a teenager or something, I could not put things together, so...
    I am the same way in this regard.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Creepy-male

I got over the fact I'm going to die a long long long time ago, it doesn't really bother me at all, pain and apathy are worse than death, death is kind of peaceful, living a shitty inconsequential life is worse than death. Might as well focus on something important so when death comes what you experience is peace rather than realizing your life was shitty and inconsequential.

Thats my outlook in an nutshell. Besides life itself is in a constant cycle, even if I die, evolution can occur from the stardust of our destroyed solar system billions of years from now, so really I guess the fact I don't look at myself as the center of the universe helps me see my mortality in perspective. All I really care about is having a good meaningful run.

So I guess the trait that really gets me down when I consider death is the fact of living a shitty life, like not putting it out there, taking in the bullshit, because its all just that in the end. Stuff like worrying about social status, image, and so forth. Its just sad people go through this little process so passively... you go to 1st grade, then 2nd, etc... of course 1st grade is to prepare you for 2nd and so forth until you hit 12th grade, then whoop de fucking do, thats preparing you for college, then college, well thats for the "real world", which pisses me off.... did I spend 20 years of my limited lifetime in a fucking FAKE world??? thanks for wasting my time asshole..... then you got to work, and whats important is that you hate it, but you can make a shit load of money, so you can marry the first women that won't reject you, but you don't really love, and move to the subarbs to spend all that wonderful money on fulfilling things like granite counter tops, and SUVs with sunroofs you never use, but makes you feel better than everyone else, of course since these possessions only provide a temporary satisfication to counter the growing sense that possibly your life has gotten derailed off from your young idealistic visions of what you thought it should have been like, your drawn into buying more, and working even fucking harder, until you exhaust your pitiful self, and your 65 and eating jello at some retirement home in florida, but all your really doing is waiting to expire because you realize now thats its pointless to linger onto those aspirations you had when you were young, so you simply accept it, and enjoy what time you have in some kind of pitiful state, you probably tell everyone to enjoy their life and you probably mean it, but of course they don't listen to you, but instead just decide to fuck up like you did. Thats what gets me down, if I were to die tommorow I'd feel like a waste since I spent the last couple of years essentially doing the whole school thing, which is a load of bullshit, its just an element in this chain, and explicitly it shelter you from the "real world". In fact so much of american society is there to shelter people from their true nature, its bullshit, and the fact that somewhere along the line people just drop off and forget its bullshit and it becomes "life" is utterly disturbing to me.
    Last edited by male; 04-08-2010 at 10:35 AM.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vero View Post
    Well that's easy to fix! I can show you how when you come to Ottawa, lol.
    Haha, deal.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Oh, and rubix cubes.
    yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    ..and your 65 and eating jello at some retirement home in florida, but all your really doing is waiting to expire because you realize now thats its pointless to linger onto those aspirations you had when you were young, so you simply accept it, and enjoy what time you have in some kind of pitiful state..
    65 and eating jello .. lol - I think that would definitely light a fire under me . I like your ramblings. Well they're rather depressing, but they ring true. haha
    ..and the fact that somewhere along the line people just drop off and forget its bullshit and it becomes "life" is utterly disturbing to me.
    Yeah, I know what you mean.. but the opposite is also disturbing to me - when people become so removed from things/life in general that everything becomes "bullshit" to them - looking down on people who are passionate about stuff and get excited about little things. At least they're engaged! At least they're trying to some degree. It's easy to sit back in the commentator's box and critique everyone - see the flaws in everyone else's performances. Objectivity is overrated imo!

Things that make me conscious of my fallibility are when I come across someone I haven't seen for ages, or I come across some sort of sensation that brings to mind a time when I'd experienced it before .. which makes me think of what I was doing at that previous time compared to what I am doing now.. and all too often highlights the fact that I really haven't done much/changed much since that time. Still coasting along in the same old rut. But I'm always strangely optimistic regarding the future, even though I'm usually not doing much towards it. I wish the future looked bleak sometimes, so that would put some fear into me and get me moving!

Creepy-male

no really I am not that critical, but you asked for this kind of topic lol.

Really I think theres some optimism to be found in what I wrote, it may not be apparent, but I am saying life is more meaningful than simply going through the motions, make sure your can look at your life and feel connected to something that matters to you instead of simply falling into that state of going through the motions, because I think its easy for people to loose track and fall into that.

By no means nessicary was that ramblind supposed to be the fate of every person, but rather only a possible fate that a person can meet.

When I review my life and I realize that I've been wasting valuable time on things that don't matter it makes me feel depressed like that and aware of deaths approach.

To me things like meaningful relationships with people and some kind of purpose or job that I can do that I enjoy and can contribute to others with is what counters that. Although in opposition to that is phony relationships people develop out of fear of being alone or social status and work you do for once again social status which can earn you material perks.

Also I am not criticizing others, there happiness is there own business to pursue, but I have a feeling they won't find that in societies proscribed plan.

Also optimism for the future isn't a bad thing.... lol

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no really I am not that critical, but you asked for this kind of topic lol.

Really I think theres some optimism to be found in what I wrote, it may not be apparent, but I am saying life is more meaningful than simply going through the motions, make sure your can look at your life and feel connected to something that matters to you instead of simply falling into that state of going through the motions, because I think its easy for people to loose track and fall into that.

By no means nessicary was that ramblind supposed to be the fate of every person, but rather only a possible fate that a person can meet.

When I review my life and I realize that I've been wasting valuable time on things that don't matter it makes me feel depressed like that and aware of deaths approach.

To me things like meaningful relationships with people and some kind of purpose or job that I can do that I enjoy and can contribute to others with is what counters that. Although in opposition to that is phony relationships people develop out of fear of being alone or social status and work you do for once again social status which can earn you material perks.

Also I am not criticizing others, there happiness is there own business to pursue, but I have a feeling they won't find that in societies proscribed plan.
    well +100 then :redface: haha

Yeah.. nothing worse than phony relationships. Gah - I'd rather die an old maid surrounded by 50 mangy cats.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also optimism for the future isn't a bad thing.... lol
    Just that it's potentially dangerous when not based on reality, if it results in inaction. :-p

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Just that it's potentially dangerous when not based on reality, if it results in inaction. :-p
    of course but I felt like leaving that part out, I've noticed the more you type, the more there is for people to criticize and my rants are always long and draw a lot of criticism lol.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of course but I felt like leaving that part out, I've noticed the more you type, the more there is for people to criticize and my rants are always long and draw a lot of criticism lol.
    don't let them get to you

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you guys notice that each period of your life has a strong smell? One can't tell it, but recall it, only when things have changed (eg. living in a different area).
    Like this I can recall almost anything, I mean the ambiance and what I was generally thinking about, sometimes refreshing a forgotten passion.
    Yeah, pretty much. Odors aren't as easily controlled as sights or sounds, so there's freer association.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you guys notice that each period of your life has a strong smell? One can't tell it, but recall it, only when things have changed (eg. living in a different area).
    Like this I can recall almost anything, I mean the ambiance and what I was generally thinking about, sometimes refreshing a forgotten passion.
    It is scientifically proven that our olfactory sense is strongly tied to our memories. This is why we around certain smells, our minds start remembering associated memories. Washing detergent and cut grass was a commonly listed trigger smell.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewZ View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. Odors aren't as easily controlled as sights or sounds, so there's freer association.
    Agreed. It is not as if we can say, "I command you free floating particles to not trigger neurological responses in my nose!" The smell seems to come when it wills. But your nose stops sending signals after a certain point of time. This is why we eventually do not notice certain smells (e.g., perfume) while being around someone for a while, but may notice again if we leave and come back.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

That whole bleeding and pain thing...

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the holocaust hasn't been scientifically proven in your worldview either, right.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    I guess the holocaust hasn't been scientifically proven in your worldview either, right.
    (Godwin's Law, anyone?)

That depends entirely on the definition of "science." While "science," taken from it's Latin root can be literally understood to be knowledge, of any sort. In the normal context of the word, 'scientifically proven' implies work in the natural sciences. At best, the Holocaust is classified under social science, which is not known for 'proof.'

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point is that keeping a liberal definition of proof causes ethically deplorable sets of behavior (such as ignoring the lessons of history around world-war 2, thus precipitating the problems of those times to happen again). It isn't always the right thing to do to doubt everything ad absurdity. You can become the villain by doing that kind of thing.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Mostly what makes me realize my own fallibility is reading about the limitations of the reasoning abilities of the human mind.
    That's a pretty awesome thing to worry about, when I think about it!

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creepy-male

And it's never the right thing to impose everything you believe as indisputable fact or assuming that someone who doubts certain things "doubts everything". Instead of a villain you become an idiot.
    ---

I don't understand why you think that having a sceptic stance makes one a villain. Did they invented the thought police already?
    Actually the way scientists are trained to write is using words such as, "Our data suggests that their is a correlation between...". They explicitly want to avoid people saying "We have proven that...".

At any rate this seems pedantic to me, but it does serve its purpose in helping foster a community of open-minded skepticism.

I think there is nothing wrong in believing that something is true though, but attempting to impose this on other people against their own voilition, well it leads to problems...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it's never the right thing to impose everything you believe as indisputable fact or assuming that someone who doubts certain things "doubts everything". Instead of a villain you become an idiot.
    ---

I don't understand why you think that having a sceptic stance makes one a villain. Did they invented the thought police already?
    I already know what kind of person you are, so I can safely jump to conclusions on these matters.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is nothing wrong in believing that something is true though, but attempting to impose this on other people against their own voilition, well it leads to problems...
    Not doing it is what causes problems. The idea that murder is wrong is being imposed on people on a massive scale. Do you think there is something wrong with this?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you prepared to die in the name of the Mighty Science, labcoat?
    If science concludes that cyanide is poisonous, then yes, I will die before I doubt that verdict.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast