TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISFp teachers and teaching

Hi

Do we have any SEI teachers in this forum?

Do you know any SEI teachers?

I have worked as a teacher before (but not right now), then I got fed up doing it and now I'm thinking of going back to teaching (languages) again. I have a degree in languages so it would be fairly easy to do.

The good thing was that I really liked being with people, to give advice and to make them feel good and get a positive response. I worked with adults and many of them liked my style. I liked the freedom and the creative sides of the job. I think I was more informal than what people are used to.

The not so good thing was that especially in the beginning I get easily confused, I sometimes lose track of what I'm doing, I dont plan well enough, and if I fail and I notice that my pupils get bored, then I take it really personally, and feel like quitting. Also, teaching languages is connected to T and N stuff, especially grammar, and it stressed me out. I was often very stressed although I liked the interaction. And one more bad thing: I am actually not that interested in languages.

I've been thinking that if I could overcome the difficulties that I've had, and compensate for my weaknesses with more preparation and more experience (learning more about teaching methods etc.) then I could actually enjoy it very much. Maybe...

This is part of an eternal problem of mine: What would be a good job for me? When I was younger I could just go with the flow and think that everything will work out somehow. But at some point I discovered that the future doesnt care about me, no matter how positive I feel about it. I actually have to do the job myself in forming the future.

Anyway, If you have any feedback, or experience of SEI teachers, that would be great.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinnochio will tell you that SEIs hate to teach. He knows nothing about us in this regard.

Everything you said here, I agree with and I have felt. I can sense when people are pissed off or bored, and I take it very personally. I feel that I am personally responsible for people's happiness and enjoyment, especially in a position of power like a teaching job.

I have always wanted to be a teacher, all my life, but it seems that it will not work out for me.

The good thing was that I really liked being with people, to give advice and to make them feel good and get a positive response. I worked with adults and many of them liked my style. I liked the freedom and the creative sides of the job. I think I was more informal than what people are used to.
    yes. all of this.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    Hi

Do we have any SEI teachers in this forum?

Do you know any SEI teachers?.
    Yeah, MINDE!!!

Two of my favorite french teachers were SEI; they are very warm and kind.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-08-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's teaching and there's teaching - I think I'd rather leap out of a third-story window than teach middle school, but I love one-on-one talks with people about their problems where I can gradually get them to think about the causes and how to fix them and be proud of it being 'their idea' to some extent - gentle encouragement. I also love passionate philosophical and hypothetical argument where there is little aggression and the emphasis is on giving an overview of a topic, asking relevant questions that are going to to differ in response based on personal opinion and then allowing argument of the above in an equal and open learning area to find new interests and perspectives within the topic that I may not have thought about and that other may also not have thought about themselves.

In this regard, I think I would find being a university-level tutor highly rewarding, if not a little daunting.

There are different ways to teach and different forms of teaching in my opinion. I think that the SEI teacher would be likely to promote playful, explorative and gentle teaching methods rather than dictation and strict rules (ughhhhh, my nightmare).

I find the initial question far too simplified for a direct yes/no response. If you identify with SEI values, I would however consider the above. Good luck with your career and life ventures
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furthermore, I have heard mention in a few online sources (not really reputable but I'm mentioning them anyway) that an ideal SEI profession would be Anthropology. I was personally intrigued by this and decided to test it out by throwing myself off the deep end and enrolling in Introduction to Anthropology 101 at University this year as part of my elective course structure. This is a little funny - as it is essentially studying the study of things by living within them.....by living within it

Anyway, I'm reporting back that I indeed do deeply enjoy anthropology, yay! ^_^

If you want further career info - I previously worked as a desktop publisher and found it stimulating but disliked the loss of creative freedom involved with working in a big company. I also felt that I could be doing something more ethically worthwhile and in this regard, Desktop Publishing fell short.

I am currently working towards my Doctorate of Psychology and really enjoying it, although being a poor student again really sucks!

Also - I know my grammar and composition right now probably really sucks, but fuck you because it's a quarter to five in the morning here right now and I've just finished the first draft of an essay and haven't slept yet and am living off ramen, steak and coffee. So there.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my experience tutoring middle school, i would entirely agree. Teaching 2nd grade is really fun for me, but I am too joking and fun with them. But I love it.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always end up making them learn advanced stuff.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that the SEI teacher would be likely to promote playful, explorative and gentle teaching methods rather than dictation and strict rules (ughhhhh, my nightmare).
    Yes, that's my style. But sometimes I had to be a little strict and dictate things. But they responded quite well to it when the general atmosphere was accepting.

I have always taught adults. I could never teach children. They wouldnt listen to me.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khola View Post
    I am currently working towards my Doctorate of Psychology and really enjoying it, although being a poor student again really sucks!
    Interesting. I also started with a PhD in linguistics/dialectology. Then I noticed that I really really hated it and I didnt have the talent either. It just SOUNDED interesting. So that's history now. I'm glad you're liking your studies, though.

About anthropology. I agree that it sounds fascinating and I would probably find it interesting. But I dont think it is a good profession for SEIs in general. Most SEIs are not patient enough for methodological and conceptual thinking that professional anthropology requires. Unless the SEI is really intelligent. I'm not.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My SEI-Fe dad was a music teacher for 13 years. Choral music at the jr. high level. He ran a tight ship yet was playful at the same time. His students LOVED him. He was the most popular teacher in the school for many years and very loved in the community. He finally burned out though. It takes a lot of energy teaching 7th and 8th graders. He also has his masters in music theory or something (wrote his thesis on the ways male voices change or something like that).

He made a big difference in the lives of many jr. high students. You know, when you're not good at more traditional academics but you can sing and have fun, it's a huge ego boost to those kids. He really enjoyed it overall.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know one SEI working to become a school psychologist, but I don't think I knew many SEI teachers, save for one Greek lit professor I had in college a year or so ago. She was awesome. I'd say if you are going to become a teacher you should pick a more easy going subject that people are naturally interested in (like music or art) just so you don't have to spend too much time asserting yourself and keeping everyone in line. It's taxing. If the subject comes naturally to you, then that helps as well. Allows you to spend more time focusing on the students and less time making sure you have everything right.

Actually I was looking into becoming a math teacher. I don't have much experience teaching, but it comes easily enough.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sometimes lose track of what I'm doing, I dont plan well enough, and if I fail and I notice that my pupils get bored, then I take it really personally, and feel like quitting.
    This is my experience too. :-/ I usually just end up winging the lessons, or thinking up some really sketchy lesson plan at the last-minute, then throwing it all out the window if they don't seem interested enough. :-p

I don't really like teaching as a whole. I like teaching specific people though, or some groups, depending if everyone is interested and wanting to maintain a positive atmosphere and stuff. I did a couple of temp stints at public schools - teaching younger kids.. and one experience was pretty positive, and the others pretty stressful. In particular this one group of kids in a strings class - loll .. apart from trying not to wince at the screeching noises they made collectively, I was terrible at disclipining them. The school's recommended technique for establishing order was just saying nothing while putting your hand up in the air until everyone was quiet. haha I found it hard to stand there silently for 5 minutes without jumping up and down in frustration. So I'd end up yelling over top of their yelling for them to be quiet (double standards ftw).. and of course a teacher would pass by at that point and observe my chaotic classroom with disdain. haha Seemed like all the kids had ADD or something .. I had to talk really fast and loud to keep their attention. Occasionally, we'd have some good moments - finally getting a piece right or something - and I'd be like "Yes!! Yes!!", and the kids would get excited about their playing for a split second. I'd celebrate by letting the class erupt into chaos for a longer interval than usual while I took a minute to lounge back in my chair. Then of course a teacher would come by. :-p

The positive classroom experience I had with teaching was with an orchestra class full of kids who were actually relatively good at their instruments. It was refreshing. I could focus on the interpretation of their pieces, rather than the basics.. and they actually seemed somewhat interested in sounding good , so it was kinda fun. One day, I made the mistake of letting the first violinist play on the drums though - his part was always perfect, so I figured why not? haha Seemed I lost a bit of control after that - everyone asking me if they could do different things and play around -- damn brats.

So yeah - some aspects of teaching I don't mind.. perfecting things, the emotional highs and lows are somewhat addictive (though stressful).. The school system of teaching frustrates me though, because you have to think about PC stuff - you can't employ non-conventional disciplinary methods (just kidding). I think I've decided once and for all that teaching is not for me though. My last teaching experience pretty much confirmed that, because the conditions were pretty much "perfect" (objectively-speaking): older lady who really wanted to learn, practiced religiously etc, listened carefully to everything I said.. but at the end of the day, listening to her saw away on a perfectly good instrument and try and fail constantly just frustrated me. And feeling frustrated at someone who is genuinely trying to learn frustrated me. :redface: I'd have to stop myself from manhandling her too much.. haha - grabbing her bow hand and fixing up her fingers for her, keeping her bow straight for her, holding her violin up for her, playing the song for her. I just feel like I'm nagging all the time if people don't improve fast enough. Actually, I'd love it if I could teach a group of people who were perfectionistic about what they were doing, and intelligent/ inquisitve/ open-minded etc - basically, a group of perfect people - that would be great! Actually, I prefer when I feel more like a person's peer rather than their supervisor though - working together as equals on some project feels better.
    But at some point I discovered that the future doesnt care about me, no matter how positive I feel about it.
    haha yeah - I know what you mean..
    Last edited by Rubicon; 04-08-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1/2 of all the teachers I have encountered in my life were alpha SFs.
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not really a teacher per se. Pretty much I just work with people one on one to show them how to do their job while also trying to keep them encouraged/blunt the traumatic realities of hard physical work. It has its pros and cons.

Teaching a full class would be a little harder and more stressful I think, unless it was like a small discussion based philosophy class or something. My current job allows me to be a lot less formal and makes it easier for me to get to know my new hires. Some of the people I've met through it have been awesome, though sometimes I have to force some enthusiasm which is kind of exhausting. The worst part of my job has to be when I have to give tours and explain the training process to a class of new hires. It just feels unnatural to try to act professional and lecture for an hour or so, especially since I'm not really that witty.

On the plus side though, the people I turn out have an extremely high retention rate.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    On the plus side though, the people I turn out have an extremely high retention rate.
    What kind of retention?

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Alpha SF's have a problem and that problem is that they're really not very confident in things that they can become extremely good at.

As far as discipline. I feel the expectation that children be quiet and orderly is totally retarded.

When kids are screaming and yelling at me and laughing, it doesn't bother me at all. It's a bit relaxing and I like action so this is comforting enviroment.

But some retarded people want kids to be quiet and meek and weak because for some odd reason they feel that this is a appropriate way to live one's life.

The thing about order is that being loud and running around isn't all that that disorderly. What is important to creating order is that you have their attention. When you have their attention and you speak or perform, they will naturally quiet down. This is why there are many methods to get a child's attention whether it's being loud or doing something interesting that will draw their eye.

I get a lot of practice from dealing with my nephews but it's takes a lot of energy for me to interact with them and it's not really natural for me but something I am cultivating. It's enjoyable non-the-less.

Most teachers suck, having a good teacher is fairly rare and many teacher leave the profession because the pay sucks and the methodology is more babysitting and indoctrination then education. How to teach others is one of the more worthwhile thing for any human being to explore, since this is something any person having children or taking care of them will need to do.

This doesn't mean you should try and be their friends or anything, it's important to maintain some distance teaching. Unless it a cute college girl, then everything is game!
    Last edited by mu4; 04-08-2010 at 07:22 PM.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    What kind of retention?
    The kind where they don't run screaming out of the building because the job's too difficult and everyone's riding them too hard to do more, faster without really caring about them until they feel like they're just a cog in the soulless machine that is the working world.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The kind where they don't run screaming out of the building because the job's too difficult and everyone's riding them too hard to do more, faster without really caring about them until they feel like they're just a cog in the soulless machine that is the working world.
    I see - the good kind then (c:

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sometimes I have to force some enthusiasm which is kind of exhausting.
    Yes, I know what you mean. I've sometimes gone into a mental mode of forced enthusiasm, or forced charisma. Especially if I'm unprepared and almost panicing. If I am well prepared and know what I'm talking about, then I don't have to force anything, I can be relaxed and informal, even show that I'm nervous, and everything will still work!

It just feels unnatural to try to act professional and lecture for an hour or so, especially since I'm not really that witty.
    Yes, One thing with me is that I have problems formulating smooth sentences when I talk, There's a lot of pauses and stumbling over words. Even though I'm speaking my own language. It feels like my words have no magnetism, they cannot attract attention. But It's ok if I just speak for short periods and then let the students work in groups.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, I know what you mean. I've sometimes gone into a mental mode of forced enthusiasm, or forced charisma. Especially if I'm unprepared and almost panicing. If I am well prepared and know what I'm talking about, then I don't have to force anything, I can be relaxed and informal, even show that I'm nervous, and everything will still work!

Yes, One thing with me is that I have problems formulating smooth sentences when I talk, There's a lot of pauses and stumbling over words. Even though I'm speaking my own language. It feels like my words have no magnetism, they cannot attract attention. But It's ok if I just speak for short periods and then let the students work in groups.
    I used to teach prior to my librarian job and I can relate to your difficulties. It's one reason why I quit doing it. I always felt nervous up there, it didn't matter how well prepared I was. I felt like I was putting on a show, and I was worried I was being judged negatively. I can't fake enthusiasm if its not there.

I feel this way when I have to fill in for the youth services librarian and do storytimes. You can't just read the words off the page, you have to put emotion in it. I've seen others do storytimes, and it just seems overly dramatic. Something as simple as the "Cow says moo" becomes the COW SAID MOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm thinking big deal. The cow says moo. It's a fact. It's not meant to be exciting.

I'll do the dramatic thing because that's what the kids want and because I want to get good employee reviews. I've been told I do a really good job but like I said, I don't feel like I can be myself doing it.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP