Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: What you're able to offer, and Te

  1. #1
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default What you're able to offer, and Te

    I was thinking today that an okay way of initially typing someone, or least narrowing it down to a couple of types could be to look at what they offer up most easily. This usually means the external ego function. For example, in SEIs, ESEs, EIEs and IEIs, it's Fe. For LSIs, ESEs, SEEs and ESIs it's Se, etc. Whether it's the base or creative function, it's more noticeable because it's external and therefore more visible to others. So when you're actively taking part in the world around you, trying to participate, help, affect others, you're using the ego block and the external function jumps out.

    So if this is the case, can someone give some examples of what Te looks like? how does it present itself?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  2. #2
    ._. Aiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Short and to the point. Information that's thought to be relevant, observations, facts. Not necessarily bound by logical reasoning leading to a conclusion. Very often conflicting pieces of information are both presented. But there might be connected thoughts, and their synthesis. Doesn't indulge in building elaborate logical constructs, but might point out their flaws. Not unusual are comments about information's source or reliability, as well as author's own lack of certainty, although it's by no means sure all Te types write like that.

    Ti-seeking calling it confusing and even manipulative is a give-away. Wait a moment... you *are* Ti-seeking...

  3. #3
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Te is most associated with rational and subdued behavior. "Logical action" Part of that means that they tend toward speaking informatively and factually. They are focused on how "logical" people's actions are and on making sense of happenings around them, which is why they tend to have a broad knowledge base.
    Last edited by Azeroffs; 04-01-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  4. #4
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Te-egos offer information, facts, practical advice, etc.

    Te: This is the way to the grocery store: detail detail detail detail, how to go, how to go, how to go, how to go, stupid facts that you weren't interested in about grocery stores and what you should do in a grocery store, blah blah blah...
    Se: Go this way.

    Te is also focused on "the best way," so they'll gladly give you unsolicited advice about the best way to do whatever it is that you're doing. "You know, that would go faster if you did it this way...," "You know, given that kind of pot, you're going to want to make sure you don't turn the stove up past 7 while boiling water" (this = real Te advice I've gotten before. My reaction: who the eff cares?). Te types that aren't super-smart will quote little factoids they've heard which may or may not actually be the complete picture (Te valuing vs. Ti valuing--Ti valuers want to understand the abstract system as a whole, and don't see knowing the individual facts/pieces as very important): "You know, your body doesn't even recognize things you've put in the microwave as food." (possibly true, but not really...). With Delta STs, the factoid will often carry an implicit command (Se id), i.e., "Silly IEI, don't be lazy and cook your food in the microwave so that you can get back to daydreaming and writing poetry faster; actually get off your behind and cook it on the stove like you're supposed to!"
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  5. #5
    The Looks stanprollyright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In your pants
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Efficiency, productivity. Maximizing resources. Emphasis on facts and their correctness as opposed to systems and logical soundness.
    Stan is not my real name.

  6. #6
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
    Efficiency, productivity. Maximizing resources. Emphasis on facts and their correctness as opposed to systems and logical soundness.
    Oh, that's good. Te = correct facts, Ti = logical systems. Te = objects, Ti = fields.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  7. #7
    The Looks stanprollyright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In your pants
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Te never shuts up. They have to show off every little piece of information they have no matter how little you care about it, and don't even notice if you fall asleep while they're talking, when you wake up again, they'll still be going on.
    HAHAHAHA I have a Gamma NT friend who is just like this...recently I admitted that my mind wanders sometimes while he's talking, and his response was that his does too.
    Stan is not my real name.

  8. #8
    The Looks stanprollyright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In your pants
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    lol, that's pretty funny that his own mind wanders. Is he heavy Te subtype? I think those are the ones that do that.
    I dunno, I'm not sure which Gamma NT he is yet.
    Stan is not my real name.

  9. #9
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...367-te-ti.html


    Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    Short and to the point. Information that's thought to be relevant, observations, facts. Not necessarily bound by logical reasoning leading to a conclusion. Very often conflicting pieces of information are both presented. But there might be connected thoughts, and their synthesis. Doesn't indulge in building elaborate logical constructs, but might point out their flaws. Not unusual are comments about information's source or reliability, as well as author's own lack of certainty, although it's by no means sure all Te types write like that.

    Ti-seeking calling it confusing and even manipulative is a give-away. Wait a moment... you *are* Ti-seeking...
    I like this.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  10. #10
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Te never shuts up. They have to show off every little piece of information they have no matter how little you care about it, and don't even notice if you fall asleep while they're talking, when you wake up again, they'll still be going on. That's really only the extreme Te, very unbalanced ones, regular ones don't do that, because they're tempered with more Fe-awareness.
    lol!! Yeah that's extreme, but it can happen with a few. This reminds me of a time a distinguished LSE prof was telling a group of us about life and the job market. We were standing throughout the entire conversation, and it lasted for over an hour of him just saying facts. I felt like someone in those christian shows on tv where the people feint backwards... They just need someone to pat them on the back and say "hey, maybe we can leave part of this for some other time, too much info right now ".

  11. #11
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    So if this is the case, can someone give some examples of what Te looks like? how does it present itself?
    Pretty sure my Dad is LSE, and the way his Te looks to me is just an excess of information. E.g. he's currently overseas travelling, and every couple days sends these updates to family re what they're up to.. and they're just so freaking informative! All about how the country is run, how the people treat them, what kind of stuff they sell, how their currency compares to something or other, how fluffy their towels were etc.. I've currently got a backlog of emails with titles such as "Windsor castle", "Gallipoli", "Troy", "Laodicea", "Ephesus" etc from the past few weeks that I plan to read just before he gets back so as to not appear completely clueless when I talk to him. lol Reading through them wearies me, because I don't know what to do with all the facts. Should I memorise this stuff or what? :-p
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  12. #12
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Pretty sure my Dad is LSE, and the way his Te looks to me is just an excess of information. E.g. he's currently overseas travelling, and every couple days sends these updates to family re what they're up to.. and they're just so freaking informative! All about how the country is run, how the people treat them, what kind of stuff they sell, how their currency compares to something or other, how fluffy their towels were etc.. I've currently got a backlog of emails with titles such as "Windsor castle", "Gallipoli", "Troy", "Laodicea", "Ephesus" etc from the past few weeks that I plan to read just before he gets back so as to not appear completely clueless when I talk to him. lol Reading through them wearies me, because I don't know what to do with all the facts. Should I memorise this stuff or what? :-p
    No, I don't think you need to memorize all of it. Maybe just pick out a few pieces of info that interested you and comment on them, maybe making some connections between them, or saying how you might like this or that experience. If it's too much to read, don't. Just skim and pick out a few things, or the general gist. My guess is he's just trying to be helpful and will be satisfied if even part of what he sent made you any happier or interested or somehow "helped". Just two cents from his (possible) dual.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  13. #13
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    No, I don't think you need to memorize all of it. Maybe just pick out a few pieces of info that interested you and comment on them, maybe making some connections between them, or saying how you might like this or that experience. If it's too much to read, don't. Just skim and pick out a few things, or the general gist. My guess is he's just trying to be helpful and will be satisfied if even part of what he sent made you any happier or interested or somehow "helped". Just two cents from his (possible) dual.
    Aw thanks, Minde. Yeah, I'll probably do that.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  14. #14
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
    HAHAHAHA I have a Gamma NT friend who is just like this...recently I admitted that my mind wanders sometimes while he's talking, and his response was that his does too.
    LOL that happens to me with my ILI boss
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  15. #15
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,624
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Mmm. Nice ways to implement "something", knowledge on where to go to find information you need, organizing something in such a way that the steps of the process neatly fit in a non-energy-consuming way.

    Btw, I don't think droning about details is characteristic of every Te type. ILI and LSE tend to do that (process Te types), I haven't seen the same kind of behavior coming from SLI and LIE.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  16. #16
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Pretty sure my Dad is LSE, and the way his Te looks to me is just an excess of information. E.g. he's currently overseas travelling, and every couple days sends these updates to family re what they're up to.. and they're just so freaking informative! All about how the country is run, how the people treat them, what kind of stuff they sell, how their currency compares to something or other, how fluffy their towels were etc.. I've currently got a backlog of emails with titles such as "Windsor castle", "Gallipoli", "Troy", "Laodicea", "Ephesus" etc from the past few weeks that I plan to read just before he gets back so as to not appear completely clueless when I talk to him. lol Reading through them wearies me, because I don't know what to do with all the facts. Should I memorise this stuff or what? :-p
    Yeahhhhh I've done that on my travels, too
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  17. #17
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hey I'm glad to read what I'm reading. The first several posts seem to be hitting on it close to how I see it, if not incompletely still.

  18. #18
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Te never shuts up. They have to show off every little piece of information they have no matter how little you care about it, and don't even notice if you fall asleep while they're talking, when you wake up again, they'll still be going on. That's really only the extreme Te, very unbalanced ones, regular ones don't do that, because they're tempered with more Fe-awareness.
    Creative Te of ISTp isn't as bad as dominant Te of ESTj.

    I think the ESTj has to go on and on so much because of their hidden agenda - to be perfect.


    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Btw, I don't think droning about details is characteristic of every Te type. ILI and LSE tend to do that (process Te types), I haven't seen the same kind of behavior coming from SLI and LIE
    Agreed.

    ILI's go on so much as to me it's like they're so disconnected from reality they prolly don't even really know they are doing it, ha.

    Hmm, I remember talking to an ILI girl at a night out, and I was thinking, good god, we're here to have a few beers and have some fun, there's nothing interesting in what you're saying, although, I think it was more the tone...they seem to drone even more monotonously than ISTp's.

  19. #19
    ._. Aiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Te never shuts up. They have to show off every little piece of information they have no matter how little you care about it, and don't even notice if you fall asleep while they're talking, when you wake up again, they'll still be going on. That's really only the extreme Te, very unbalanced ones, regular ones don't do that, because they're tempered with more Fe-awareness.

    I once differentiated Te and Ti by calling Te "information collecting" and Ti "information sifting" and that works, even for the balanced well-rounded Te types - they have great stores of knowledge they've collected, and they want to share it, subconsicously looking for Fi-type judging and sorting of the info.
    Interesting. What you say sounds very much like a LII I know (and other Ti-base, to an extent), except replace "piece of information" with "aspect of their theories". I rather think he isn't Te as he gives little evidence and dislikes being asked for it (i.e. states some rule and gets annoyed when I ask where it comes from; logical explanations are freely given but sources and examples are not, also expects me to speak in terms of conclusions). He's more aware about general atmosphere than I - accuses me of "inappropiate" behaviour in discussing theories, which often leads to spoiling it with Alphas, no matter how polite I am - yet he still goes on.

    I also once described Te as "information sifting", as opposed to Ti "generalizing". I do agree with Te being more quantitative and Ti more qualitative.

  20. #20
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Pretty sure my Dad is LSE, and the way his Te looks to me is just an excess of information. E.g. he's currently overseas travelling, and every couple days sends these updates to family re what they're up to.. and they're just so freaking informative! All about how the country is run, how the people treat them, what kind of stuff they sell, how their currency compares to something or other, how fluffy their towels were etc.. I've currently got a backlog of emails with titles such as "Windsor castle", "Gallipoli", "Troy", "Laodicea", "Ephesus" etc from the past few weeks that I plan to read just before he gets back so as to not appear completely clueless when I talk to him. lol Reading through them wearies me, because I don't know what to do with all the facts. Should I memorise this stuff or what? :-p
    I do love my duals...
    It's very nice of him to give you such a detailed account of his travels from Si and Se perspective; I find this information very entertaining and can take much time to listen to it because it stimulates my suggestive function. Facts are just told to entertain you and give you a vision of how things are...from the Te (that intellectual formula for everything!!); this kind of thinking is meant to give you the perspective from a reality point of view, to paint the detailed picture. You can try to incorporate the details in a bigger picture to view the flow of general events. Don't memorise any of it but rather let it be like a painting for you; he is painting a picture of what's going on. Take the general, big picture view from what he is offering. See if you can derive big picture patterns about what is happening and the sequence of such events from past to present and then the future.

    Being EII, I know the picture of what will happen in the future, but I am incapable of producing the details that I need, so my dual supplies me with such accounts and it is like adding the right shade of blue to the painting or the right shade of red. It very much illuminates things.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-02-2010 at 09:20 PM.

  21. #21
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    I do love my duals...
    It's very nice of him to give you such a detailed account of his travels from Si and Se perspective; I find this information very entertaining and can take much time to listen to it because it stimulates my suggestive function. Facts are just told to entertain you and give you a vision of how things are...from the Te (that intellectual formula for everything!!); this kind of thinking is meant to give you the perspective from a reality point of view, to paint the detailed picture. You can try to incorporate the details in a bigger picture to view the flow of general events. Don't memorise any of it but rather let it be like a painting for you; he is painting a picture of what's going on. Take the general, big picture view from what he is offering. See if you can derive big picture patterns about what is happening and the sequence of such events from past to present and then the future.

    Being EII, I know the picture of what will happen in the future, but I am incapable of producing the details that I need, so my dual supplies me with such accounts and it is like adding the right shade of blue to the painting or the right shade of red. It very much illuminates things.
    your perspective on this is cute. but to me it'd be like "blah blah blah" Charlie Brown voice...
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  22. #22
    Large Member shorebreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    humboldt, CA
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I was thinking today that an okay way of initially typing someone, or least narrowing it down to a couple of types could be to look at what they offer up most easily. This usually means the external ego function. For example, in SEIs, ESEs, EIEs and IEIs, it's Fe. For LSIs, ESEs, SEEs and ESIs it's Se, etc. Whether it's the base or creative function, it's more noticeable because it's external and therefore more visible to others. So when you're actively taking part in the world around you, trying to participate, help, affect others, you're using the ego block and the external function jumps out.

    So if this is the case, can someone give some examples of what Te looks like? how does it present itself?
    i was talking with an ESTj just the other day; she's a nurse who works in the emergency room at the local hospital. Her manifests as immediately knowing whether someone is useful (e.g. has potential), and putting them to work. She is all about efficiency; when a patient comes in screaming she tells them to give her only the most relevant information so she can get them taken care of quickly and effectively.

    She takes great satisfaction in finding quicker, more efficient ways of doing things. Very straightforward and to the point.

  23. #23
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
    I dunno, I'm not sure which Gamma NT he is yet.
    Hello,

    I don't think you and I have ever met, but I do believe you may be INFj.

  24. #24
    The Looks stanprollyright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In your pants
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Hello,

    I don't think you and I have ever met, but I do believe you may be INFj.
    We've had some mini-conversations on other threads. I'm IEE.

    What makes you think EII?
    Stan is not my real name.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •