Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 46

Thread: Seriousness vs. lightheartedness in IEIs/INFps

  1. #1
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Seriousness vs. lightheartedness in IEIs/INFps

    I think my thread on redbaron has opened the door to a larger issue: that of people judging lighthearted IEIs - of which there is a fucking titanic amount - to be SEIs.

    This is wrong.

    The majority of IEIs on this forum, and IRL, would not have any friends if they were as serious as people make them out to be. Every IEI I've interacted with I enjoy the company of primarily because they don't take life too seriously, and don't really give a shit.

    There are some top notch loser IEIs on the forum - those who you can tell are serious and have no friends (people like my dad are in this category) - who have some real quality advice to offer. HOWEVER, this is not the only kind of IEI.

    It would be easy for me to separate these two kinds of IEIs into Fe and Ni subtype respectively, but I'm not sure that all Fe subtypes are necessarily popular and lovable and all Ni subtypes necessarily dark and deep. Isn't redbaron an Ni subtype, or has someone just got that wrong?

    However, consider the IEIs here.

    glam
    Starfall
    Nick
    redbaron
    dinki

    Do any of them strike you as REMOTELY serious? Okay, I don't want to undermine their capability to offer decent stuff to the forum, but they're not what you'd call serious. They know how to enjoy themselves! How to have a good time!

    So buck the fuck up and understand that IEIs can be lighthearted.

  2. #2
    Currently God Brilliand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    4,246
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Do any of them strike you as REMOTELY serious?
    Nick tends to give this impression, due to his argumentative nature (not trying to undermine your main point, just nitpicking).



    LII-Ne

    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

    Johari

  3. #3
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Starfall doesn't strike me as lighthearted at all; fairly easygoing and mostly unobtrusive, yeah, but too pensive and contained to be considered "lighthearted."

  4. #4
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Nick tends to give this impression, due to his argumentative nature (not trying to undermine your main point, just nitpicking).
    he's too wishy-washy for that.

  5. #5
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    REDBARON IS VERY SERIOUS



    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I think my thread on redbaron has opened the door to a larger issue: that of people judging lighthearted IEIs - of which there is a fucking titanic amount - to be SEIs.

    This is wrong.

    The majority of IEIs on this forum, and IRL, would not have any friends if they were as serious as people make them out to be. Every IEI I've interacted with I enjoy the company of primarily because they don't take life too seriously, and don't really give a shit.

    There are some top notch loser IEIs on the forum - those who you can tell are serious and have no friends (people like my dad are in this category) - who have some real quality advice to offer. HOWEVER, this is not the only kind of IEI.

    It would be easy for me to separate these two kinds of IEIs into Fe and Ni subtype respectively, but I'm not sure that all Fe subtypes are necessarily popular and lovable and all Ni subtypes necessarily dark and deep. Isn't redbaron an Ni subtype, or has someone just got that wrong?

    However, consider the IEIs here.

    glam
    Starfall
    Nick
    redbaron
    dinki

    Do any of them strike you as REMOTELY serious? Okay, I don't want to undermine their capability to offer decent stuff to the forum, but they're not what you'd call serious. They know how to enjoy themselves! How to have a good time!

    So buck the fuck up and understand that IEIs can be lighthearted.

  6. #6
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    REDBARON IS VERY SERIOUS
    I hide my serious side unless I'm with someone I trust. Why bring down the mood or burden someone unnecessarily? I'm sensitive to how I affect other people and I actively shy away from offending people. I think that's generally Fe-creative (either SEI or IEI), harmonizing or whatever the heck that subtype is. However, given the right beta friend in real life, I can be pretty intense and dark given the right opportunity, as long as I know the other person won't misunderstand me. Once I tried being this way with my SEI-Si friend and he didn't get it AT ALL. Never tried that again.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  7. #7
    jughead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Generally I would say Ni is percieved as "more serious" than Ne or Si would be. Ni is a longterm outlook and thus often looks bleak and depressing. Shakespearean. However Fe is modified to bring about the Ni goal so they will skirt a creative path around being both serious and lighthearted depending on the situation to affect the people to to Ni goal. So they could go from extreme serious apeshit to total clown.
    Combat situation vs comic improv with friends

    I wrote a lengthy rant in reply to this bullshit topic..any person worth their salt will be dynamic enough to be both serious at times and lightearted at others depending on the situation.I suppose IEI's will appear more dynamic in this regard. DUh
    My browser inadvertantly crashed.
    Dang

    I gotta say also the word "serious" is too losely defined and used by anyone who doesnt want to do what the other person wants.
    See the mutherfucking joker in batman.
    Also I would just say since expression is different from person to person they make take the other peson as being too serious simply based on type and the different IE values.
    Aka manly men will dislike emotional angyty people, culturally or inborn differences considered.
    Another example is that white people find black people scary.(thug culture, rap etc, think 15-25 years ago especially)
    Mike Tyson (SLE) berates the shit out of his opponents and appears hyper aggressive but its part of his natural Se and culture and harsh upbringing;socionics.us says he's actually quite playful and not so harsh as people think when hes doing such things.

    another example: smiley america vs serious russia

  8. #8
    jughead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Another point I would like to add is some people take expression of seriousness to be more serious(aka annoying or unpleasantly emotional, inciting a reaction) than actual serious actions.
    Thats why beta NF's exist;to give emotional weight to things that are intangible (Ni vs more tangible SI) and have a dynamic emotional weighing of them and thus communciate this to other people who need such a thing. (Se types most overall)
    Otherwise you could just feel them yourself tanglbly/physically and it would be Si.
    Serious if meaning emotional weighty expression would obviously be NF domain and the more fiery the more Beta NF.


    I think the real point is that it's mostly irrelevant to Redbaron's type and some other intuitive factors and perhaps a overall lack of information are whats pointing others away from IEI towards SEI.
    I don't know myself because I have not communicated with Redbaron nor seen the threads where the type is discussed.

    I'd rather see a convicing case either way for Redbarons type.

  9. #9
    Creepy-sarahdxwrappd

    Default

    ^ Why don't you just listen to what SHE says of her own typing?
    ftr, I go with IEI. She in no way seems to be lacking or attracted to what an ILE can offer.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    INFps can be very lighthearted and playful. They can also be the most overbearingly pretentious type of the Socion--even more so than ENFp fucking English teachers.

    However, the pretentious INFps usually soften up when they realize that you are not the stupid-waste-of-life-who-has-never-read-Longfellow-or-Chaucer that they thought you were (unless you are).

    For instance, sycophant, an insane-yet-hot (I've still got a picture of her naked in a bathtub, and I can't post it because it might technically be child porn) INFp who used to post here, was a pretentious aesthete and serial liar whose biggest folly was that she never came to me asking for sex. However, she eventually softened up when she moved in with an exiled ESTp writer of crappy fiction who lived in Oaxaca, and after this she became somewhat pleasant. She's still probably really pretentious though.

    A good example of a playful, laid-back INFp is thePirate, whose real name is Dustin Manucci and who lives in Oregon.

  11. #11
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    INFps can be very lighthearted and playful. They can also be the most overbearingly pretentious type of the Socion--even more so than ENFp fucking English teachers.

    However, the pretentious INFps usually soften up when they realize that you are not the stupid-waste-of-life-who-has-never-read-Longfellow-or-Chaucer that they thought you were (unless you are).

    For instance, sycophant, an insane-yet-hot (I've still got a picture of her naked in a bathtub, and I can't post it because it might technically be child porn) INFp who used to post here, was a pretentious aesthete and serial liar whose biggest folly was that she never came to me asking for sex. However, she eventually softened up when she moved in with an exiled ESTp writer of crappy fiction who lived in Oaxaca, and after this she became somewhat pleasant. She's still probably really pretentious though.

    A good example of a playful, laid-back INFp is thePirate, whose real name is Dustin Manucci and who lives in Oregon.
    Are you talking about Sara?

  12. #12
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I hide my serious side unless I'm with someone I trust. Why bring down the mood or burden someone unnecessarily? I'm sensitive to how I affect other people and I actively shy away from offending people. I think that's generally Fe-creative (either SEI or IEI), harmonizing or whatever the heck that subtype is. However, given the right beta friend in real life, I can be pretty intense and dark given the right opportunity, as long as I know the other person won't misunderstand me. Once I tried being this way with my SEI-Si friend and he didn't get it AT ALL. Never tried that again.
    I don't know, I think it's good to offend people on occassion. Then you know who is good and who is bad.

  13. #13
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    he's too wishy-washy for that.
    fuck you.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    TIM
    9w1
    Posts
    2,773
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    are ieis prone to posting tl;trs?
    unholy water sanguine addiction

  15. #15
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaknet View Post
    are ieis prone to posting tl;trs?
    what's that?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  16. #16
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sometimes it is hard to understand betas over the age of 30 because the nature of the quadra.
    asd

  17. #17
    EffyCold thePirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    TIM
    ??
    Posts
    1,897
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    Sometimes it is hard to understand betas over the age of 30 because the nature of the quadra.

    what do you mean
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

  18. #18
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    what do you mean
    Teenage
    asd

  19. #19
    EffyCold thePirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    TIM
    ??
    Posts
    1,897
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    meh
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    Sometimes it is hard to understand betas over the age of 30 because the nature of the quadra.
    Says the Alpha toddler.

  21. #21
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Says the Alpha toddler.
    I think i used the wrong word when i said understand, I meant to say 'recognize.' It is only an observation that Beta people are especially noticeable from teen hood to young adult life as, in my experience, they have a strong need to stand out socially-- for good reasons or bad.
    asd

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    I think i used the wrong word when i said understand, I meant to say 'recognize.' It is only an observation that Beta people are especially noticeable from teen hood to young adult life as, in my experience, they have a strong need to stand out socially-- for good reasons or bad.
    One time I swallowed a penny.

  23. #23
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    One time I swallowed a penny.
    I did this once too. The doctor said i'd poop it out eventually, and then the doctor made fun of me, and I said i'll swallow his payment if he keeps it up.
    asd

  24. #24
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    fuck you.
    come on, you can do better than that.

  25. #25
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    For instance, sycophant, an insane-yet-hot (I've still got a picture of her naked in a bathtub, and I can't post it because it might technically be child porn) INFp who used to post here, was a pretentious aesthete and serial liar whose biggest folly was that she never came to me asking for sex. However, she eventually softened up when she moved in with an exiled ESTp writer of crappy fiction who lived in Oaxaca, and after this she became somewhat pleasant. She's still probably really pretentious though.
    Man, I would FUCK HER

  26. #26
    EffyCold thePirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    TIM
    ??
    Posts
    1,897
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I once ate a tick that was full of blood, and smeared the blood from it all around my mouth.
    ;fd;fsd;f;ds;fds;

    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

  27. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I once ate a tick that was full of blood, and smeared the blood from it all around my mouth.
    Oddly erotic.

    Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    ;fd;fsd;f;ds;fds;

    Oh yes.

  28. #28
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    god damn beta is definitely the gayest quadra.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  29. #29
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Alpha is clearly the gayest Quadra.

  30. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    god damn beta is definitely the gayest quadra.
    Post naked pics.

  31. #31
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Post naked pics.
    YES, do it, Allie.

  32. #32
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ooh ooh ah ah
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  33. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    ooh ooh ah ah
    Don't make fun of black people.

  34. #34
    Large Member shorebreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    humboldt, CA
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Don't make fun of black people.
    LOLBBQ

  35. #35
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Don't make fun of black people.
    Why are you so unnecessarily racist? Did all the black kids beat you up when you were in high school?
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  36. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    Why are you so unnecessarily racist? Did all the black kids beat you up when you were in high school?
    I'm not racist at all. My role model is a black man (see pic). I just find racist humor extremely funny.


  37. #37
    EffyCold thePirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    TIM
    ??
    Posts
    1,897
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

  38. #38
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    I'm not racist at all. My role model is a black man (see pic). I just find racist humor extremely funny.

    Fine... I guess black comedians are the primary peddlers of racist humor anyway:



    I guess racist jokes are funny... meh. Maybe it would bother me less in person than on the internet.

    Also I had to look up that Sowell person, so fail on me. But he sounds like a cool guy, I guess.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  39. #39
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    An IEI friend of mine says he likes being around light hearted/cheerful/happy people because he tends to absorb people's moods and they become his mood then, too. We do talk about serious stuff a fair amount (as there are some pretty serious things going on in both of our lives right now), but I would say that he generally acts pretty light hearted, especially in social situations. I think IEI's tend to hide away and brood when they're feeling down or upset because they don't want to bring others down.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  40. #40
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    I've still got a picture of her naked in a bathtub, and I can't post it because it might technically be child porn
    But it's not problematic to admit that you're in possession of child porn?
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •