Thread: Objective and Subjective: what are the distinctions?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Objective and Subjective: what are the distinctions?

For the mind to function, it invariably refers to itself---it harvests data and subjects it to, at all times, subjective scrutiny; that is to say, that the mind, in all its processes and functions, refers to the subject in order to analyze(as I broadly define the term)the data. As such, how can there exist objective functions? More importantly, in this context, what does objective and subjective mean?
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah.

You know, I think I'm going to request clarification.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And you're defining these terms in the way in which they are defined within Socionics, correct?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Objective is pretty much an extroverted quality and Subjective is pretty much an introverted quality, meaning that Objectivity has to do with the dealings of things externally and Subjectivity things internally. Some people read Keirsey or MBTI theory and mistakenly think that Subjectivity is just an ethical (Fi,Fe) thing, but it is not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    Objective is pretty much an extroverted quality and Subjective is pretty much an introverted quality, meaning that Objectivity has to do with the dealings of things externally and Subjectivity things internally. Some people read Keirsey or MBTI theory and mistakenly think that Subjectivity is just an ethical (Fi,Fe) thing, but it is not.
    Referring to http://the16types.info/forums/viewto...er=asc&start=0 it is inverse.
    "Wenn der Deutsche in einen Satz taucht, dann hat man ihn die längste Zeit gesehen, bis er auf der anderen Seite des Ozeans wieder auftaucht mit seinem Verb im Mund." - Mark Twain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say,

Subjective= Introversion
    Objective= Extraversion

in which the subject is the person him or herself.

Subjective= Feeling
    Objective= Thinking

in which animate objects are the subject.

In the way that you stated it, I would say it's the first one. You are talking about people's minds "refering to itself", which would make that person the subject, which would make Introverted thinking subjective.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The subjective world is the world you see. The objective world is the world all people see. In this sense it is the intersection of all subjective perspectives.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I'd say,

Subjective= Introversion
    Objective= Extraversion

Subjective= Feeling
    Objective= Thinking

In the way that you stated it, I would say it's the first one. You are talking about people's minds "refering to itself", which would make that person the subject, which would make Introverted thinking subjective.
    can you relate the two definitions?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    For the mind to function, it invariably refers to itself---it harvests data and subjects it to, at all times, subjective scrutiny; that is to say, that the mind, in all its processes and functions, refers to the subject in order to analyze(as I broadly define the term)the data. As such, how can there exist objective functions? More importantly, in this context, what does objective and subjective mean?
    I think this is a good answer, given the way you asked the question.

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    The subjective world is the world you see. The objective world is the world all people see. In this sense it is the intersection of all subjective perspectives.
    2 people can look at the same object and 'see' 2 different things, as they my place different emphasis on different aspects or attributes of the object etc, thereby taking away a different subjective impression of what they have seen.

In this context, subjective is what you think exists, objective is what really exists. However it is almost impossible for someone to fully comprehend the latter, due to the way the mind takes in data subjectively.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I'd say,

Subjective= Introversion
    Objective= Extraversion

Subjective= Feeling
    Objective= Thinking

can you relate the two definitions?
    Relate them to what? Each other or actual examples?

For the mind to function, it invariably refers to itself---it harvests data and subjects it to, at all times, subjective scrutiny; that is to say, that the mind, in all its processes and functions, refers to the subject in order to analyze(as I broadly define the term)the data.
    If you are looking for an example, then MysticSonic already explained what the Introverted functions are like.

I guess it would be hard to call the Extraverted functions "thinking" in the same way, though. Extraversion is just everything that is in the outside world without personal input or interpretation. This is why some Extraverts may say that they act without thinking first. Te for example, doesn't formulate an opinion about the facts or evidence it sees, it just defines them. Ne will chase after anything that comes its way without thinking about the consequences. And so on.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.