TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Taking photographs of ISTps

So, this may be too much of a niche question, but -

Does anybody here have tips on how to take good pictures of ISTps? As in, so they have a natural, nice look on their faces?

ISTps, what makes you more comfortable around cameras?

I ask because I've been trying to get good pictures of what I'm pretty sure is an ISTp/ENFp couple, and while the ENFp usually looks great I've been having a much harder time getting a good look from the ISTp.

Tips and/or ideas would be much appreciated, thanks!
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are times when I've been called a "two-shotter" because I don't smile.
    For me it's about being actually in the right mood and atmosphere, I have to feel comfortable - then I smile and look a lot better. Maybe just try to find them doing something the SLI enjoys

OR, present him with something related to Si that he likes - like a nice bit of food or something.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maritsa can help you out with this one. She has a whole collection of ISTp photos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah they usually do the closed-mouth serious look, the smirk, or a very closed-lipped smile that doesn't look sincere.

When they do that, I usually make fun of them or say something odd to make them laugh. Something like "what is that smile? You don't smile like that!

Don't let go of the camera though as you say that because you want to keep holding it up so you can snap it right when they laugh.

I also do this w/ an INTj and ISFp who have the same problem.

Also, don't make them hold the smile for too long or it'll look fake.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    Fi-IEE Sx/so 739
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find a way to make me smile and make it look more spontaneous, I guess?
    A good inside joke maybe? Teasing my stiffness?
    Something like that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find they're much more forthcoming when they're drunk.
    IEE

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs always look good for the camera, even candidly, it's uncanny.

But yes, the tight lipped frown is a common look, so is standing there with a pucker, or trying to look ghetto or macho. If they're smiling it usually looks a little forced, but you can really tell how they're feeling in the eyes. With SLIs, the eyes are KEY.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    ISTps, what makes you more comfortable around cameras?
    Cute girls, of course. Preferably a hot photographer.

I ask because I've been trying to get good pictures of what I'm pretty sure is an ISTp/ENFp couple, and while the ENFp usually looks great I've been having a much harder time getting a good look from the ISTp.
    Having the ENFp counterpart by his side doesn't do the trick?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default View Post
    Find a way to make me smile and make it look more spontaneous, I guess?
    A good inside joke maybe? Teasing my stiffness?
    Something like that.
    Yeah, subtle teasing usually works.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, everyone, for your responses! I'm finding them helpful.

Part of the problem I think might be that this ISTp is used to talking with me and interacting with me in regard to practical things, not necessarily "fun". Also, he has a (very reasonable) phobia of photos of him ending up in the hands of people who could hurt him or those he loves. He's really, really cautious of having his photo taken so I think that adds an even greater level of stiffness. (He was in special forces.)

He's very much one of those closed off to people (particularly emotionally) unless and until he knows and trusts them. Happily for me he seems to be growing more trusting of me, which I take as a big compliment. But there's still a ways to go with that, I think.

Not being the most emotionally expressive person myself, when I'm taking pictures of people in general it takes effort to generate the atmosphere that gets people to smile. Those suggestions of joking with him, gentle teasing, talking about enjoyable things, etc., works great with other people in general, and they'll probably work with him, maybe I'll just have to be patient and persistent with it...

It's so hard to generate a natural-smile-inducing atmosphere with an Fe-PoLR!

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Cute girls, of course. Preferably a hot photographer.
    That must be my problem. Not hot enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Having the ENFp counterpart by his side doesn't do the trick?
    Actually, I gave her the camera at one point and she got the best look from him that I've seen yet, though it was blurry and thus unusable. But, yes, that's a good point. I think the greater the relational bond the easier it'll be.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for your responses! I'm finding them helpful.

Part of the problem I think might be that this ISTp is used to talking with me and interacting with me in regard to practical things, not necessarily "fun". Also, he has a (very reasonable) phobia of photos of him ending up in the hands of people who could hurt him or those he loves. He's really, really cautious of having his photo taken so I think that adds an even greater level of stiffness. (He was in special forces.)

He's very much one of those closed off to people (particularly emotionally) unless and until he knows and trusts them. Happily for me he seems to be growing more trusting of me, which I take as a big compliment. But there's still a ways to go with that, I think.

Not being the most emotionally expressive person myself, when I'm taking pictures of people in general it takes effort to generate the atmosphere that gets people to smile. Those suggestions of joking with him, gentle teasing, talking about enjoyable things, etc., works great with other people in general, and they'll probably work with him, maybe I'll just have to be patient and persistent with it...

It's so hard to generate a natural-smile-inducing atmosphere with an Fe-PoLR!

That must be my problem. Not hot enough...

Actually, I gave her the camera at one point and she got the best look from him that I've seen yet, though it was blurry and thus unusable. But, yes, that's a good point. I think the greater the relational bond the easier it'll be.
    Try to get closer to him, then. Once you get inside his close circle of trusties, he'll find it easier to open up emotionally. The more spontaneous and "unafraid" he feels around you, the better. Try to respect his concern about his pictures getting in the wrong hands and talk to him about things like that genuinely. Just don't fake concern or sympathy, cause if he ever notices that, you're out.

Or try to get his ENFp take a couple of shots.
    Last edited by Park; 03-24-2010 at 03:28 AM.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLI's don't seem like the most reliable people to use emotions on cue, so I would think the best way to get a picture of them in a more natural/expressive state is to take them when they're off guard, candidly, in moments where they're not expected to use Fe like in portrait photography
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Candid, like marie said, would prob be a good call.

DEF not emotional cue photos.
    Relational comfort works for me.

If not that, then, give the camera to the IEE and leave ; have her set it on auto timer ; tell her to say something mildly flirt to the SLI as the countdown starts. Then just make sure he looks at the camera and not at her.
    Last edited by UDP; 03-24-2010 at 03:48 AM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Canded
    I hate that misspelling.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why?

I fixed it

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request