Thread: How does NeTi compensatory activity work?

Creepy-male

Default How does NeTi compensatory activity work?

From The Socionist: Interplay between Leading and Suggestive Function in Self-Realizing Individuals

Compensatory activities are:
    • - simple and relatively unchanging
    • - entail no leadership or responsibility; passive and receptive rather than initiating
    • - require little focus or energy expenditure
    • - impossible to guess based on superficial acquaintance with the person
    More generally, how do IPs engage in EP compensatory activities? "Passive and receptive" and "little focus of energy expenditure required" seem contradictory to Se and Ne.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    From The Socionist: Interplay between Leading and Suggestive Function in Self-Realizing Individuals

More generally, how do IPs engage in EP compensatory activities? "Passive and receptive" and "little focus of energy expenditure required" seem contradictory to Se and Ne.
    I would have responded to this sooner, but I read the article and got a little distracted.

I would imagine the best way would be to let one's dual handle the heavy lifting. The example Rick gives for SEI is "attending public lectures on scientific topics", in other words, listening to an ILE talk about NeTi things. Even the IEI example, "petty crime and 'getting into trouble'", aren't activities that require a lot of focused concentration, especially if an SLE co-conspirator is around.

Personally, when I need to relax I get my Fe from character-based dramas or comedies. Or even better, dramadies!

Generally speaking, we're not very good at generating the element in our Suggestive function, so in most cases I would imagine that compensatory activities rely heavily on external sources.
    Quaero Veritas.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Example: my SEI gf will make clothes or small works of art or handcraft. Often, this is not purposeful (Te), she herself explains it as a way of relaxation, of calming herself; the clothes are never worn and the works of art never put on display. And there's always this element of 'lets try something new' or 'lets figure out if this works' in it. As you can see, the basis is still Si, but compensated with Ne. And it works like that in Ne-leading types as well, as Rick explains with his examples: it is not that Ne is switched of when Einstein takes a walk, it is just given some slack that allows Si to come in to do some re-energizing. But there will still be Ne-style ponderings during such walks.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the question was about super-id and . An example for would be listening to someone talk about an interesting idea or a somewhat obscure subject that you don't know anything about. For , maybe watching an exciting sports game?

The point is that you are mostly an observer in the situation or have a minor role in it.

I've noticed that often people with base function X set up little tasks for others in the area of X, like helping make food (), etc. This probably has something to do with stimulating one's dual's suggestive function.