Thread: The I-self and Me-self of James

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The I-self and Me-self of James

Does anyone know the theory of James about the I and the Me.

It seems closely related to your first and second function.

The second function, as wikisocion says, is used to make contact with other people. So is the Me-self.

The first function is the accepting function, that just accepts information, similar to the I-self.

It's quite easy to experiment with this in your mind. example: Accepting subtypes seem to be talking to themselves and let others listen along. That is the same thing that I experience when only using my I self and trying to say something. What do you guys think, could there be a connection?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this about the distinction between one's objective and subjective self-concept? I think I agree with your proposed thesis, but more via random chance than convergence of our understanding of the issue.

In any case I have associated Creating and Static functions (combined: Creating-Static-Limiting) with objectivity/"noumenology" before, and Accepting and Dynamic functions (combined: Accepting-Dynamic-Limiting) with subjectivity/phenomenology before and still support the association. So yes, I would associate the Creating function with the objective self concept (Me-self) and the Accepting function with the subjective self concept (I-self).

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    So yes, I would associate the Creating function with the objective self concept (Me-self) and the Accepting function with the subjective self concept (I-self).
    Thanks labcoat. This thread was open for 2 days but I knew there would eventually be an LII who's attention it would catch :-)

It's nice you see the correlation too. I was indeed talking about the subjective and objective self.
    I find it pretty interesting, I finally understand the essential difference between accepting and producing now. I've never seen a socionics explain it this way, so I guess socionists aren't aware of this connection.

Creepy-male

I'm still not wrapping my head around the idea of an objective sense of self. Is it "What I experience" (I) vs "How I appear in a variety of broader contexts" (me)?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it "What I experience" (I) vs "How I appear in a variety of broader contexts" (me)?
    That is one half of the issue (phenomenology; how it appears from my perspective vs. noumenology; how it is, independent of perspective).

The other is that of defensibility: the subjective self-concept is made up of a lot of beliefs that one can only justify to oneself, whereas the objective self-concept is only made up of beliefs one can justify to anyone.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'm still not wrapping my head around the idea of an objective sense of self. Is it "What I experience" (I) vs "How I appear in a variety of broader contexts" (me)?
    It's quite easy when you stop trying to figure it out, and just use them. You use them all day long! It's all very literal, language invented another word for I, namely Me. That's not a coincidence.

Just try to notice what you refer to when you use the word 'me' in any random sentence. Do the same for 'I'.

I-self is your subjective point of view, which can look at the Me-self. Which then becomes an object of the I-self. I-self uses the Me-self to make contact to others, it's that what you show them of yourself. The I-self just observes the whole situation.
    Last edited by Jarno; 03-15-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Creepy-male

Aha, so my comprehension failure is a result of my identity issues. Unexpected awesome.