Thread: Having Other People in the Room

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Having Other People in the Room

Ever since I was a little boy, even if I had to do something by myself, I would like other people to be in the same room as me. We didn't have to interact or anything, they just had to be in the same room. That's still true now; most of the time when I'm on this forum, I'm actually in my friends' suite-style dorm lounge. Obviously, I'm not focusing on hanging out with any of these people while I'm typing about some random personality theory crap that none of them has ever heard of. But I still like being in the room with other people, even while doing a solitary activity. I've always liked the idea of being "alone together" with another person; being in the same space, but both focusing on unrelated things. Even in groups, I think it's pretty cool.

So, my question is, is this in any way type related, or is this just a quirk that's particular to me?
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm the same. So we can call this an Fe-creative trait until someone else comes in and blows that theory out of the water. :-p
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YOUR RONG!!!1!!!!!!!1!!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

I can't be more than 30 seconds in the same room as somebody without talking to him/her, so I try to be alone when doing something important.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

I definitely prefer to be alone in a room. When there are other people around, all my energy by default goes into monitoring their speech and behaviour, constantly checking that the situation is "ok" or "manageable".

It also takes a lot of energy to say and do the things that people need to hear and see from me in order to maintain a sense of harmony. I tend to pander to people all the time at my own expense. Like if they're talking about something they are really enthusiastic about, I feel compelled to show an equally intense interest in the subject (even if it bores me) so as to maintain a sense of "equilibrium" and "connection" between us, or at the very least not to offend their dignity.

EII - Ne
    5w6 sp/so/sx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shagbag The Wizard View Post
    I definitely prefer to be alone in a room. When there are other people around, all my energy by default goes into monitoring their speech and behaviour, constantly checking that the situation is "ok" or "manageable".
    Quote Originally Posted by Shagbag The Wizard View Post
    Like if they're talking about something they are really enthusiastic about, I feel compelled to show an equally intense interest in the subject (even if it bores me) so as to maintain a sense of "equilibrium" and "connection" between us, or at the very least not to offend their dignity.
    same. I'm creative though as far as I know

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like being alone together too. But when my ESE husband is in the room, all bets are off. He's like slater in that he can't really be in a room with someone without talking.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-male

If I'm doing something solitary, I enjoy being alone-alone. I don't have any problems with being "alone together", though.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer to be alone if I'm doing something by myself as it helps me concentrate and with the rest of the world blocked out I don't have to have any awareness of it or any dread of being interrupted and I can let the outside world go and be in my natural state. This is something I've noticed with work to add to my list of ideal working environments... I don't like dealing with people and I like working alone (or having a safe space/sanctuary where I can be alone and uninterrupted). It's generally too draining dealing with people. And if I don't have a safe space then I just end up having this dread/anxiety in the back of my mind concerning when someone will interrupt me next.

Otoh I'm not sure if I'm good at being "alone together." When I get into my odd social mode, I would find that boring.

Creepy-Cyclops

Depends for me. I like my own space i'd say for most part, sometimes like company.

...I think it depends on the quality of the company.

Hmmm, usually at work when there is a lot of people talking I prefer to just zone them out and keep busy doing other things, sometimes even working. I usually prefer a more subdued conversation rather than too much horseplay in that situation.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That's interesting. When I'm on computer, I want all people to be at least three feet away. Otherwise I feel the need to talk to them or shove them away, depending on the person.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

I simply can NOT sit at a computer with people standing around or behind me.

And if they are hovering right above me, breathing on me, talking over me, or otherwise checking out what I'm doing on the computer without my explicit invitation.......forget it, I will immediately make some random excuse to get up and do something else.

EII - Ne
    5w6 sp/so/sx

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    That picture makes me incredibly happy.

Based on the variety of responses, this does not seem to be a particularly type related trait. But the responses are still very interesting, so w/e.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to be alone together but this has been a more recent development (within the past few years) than a constant trait of mine. I used to not care either way.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    I can't be more than 30 seconds in the same room as somebody without talking to him/her, so I try to be alone when doing something important.
    Yeah, same. If I'm around people (supposing I know them at least a bit) I kind of feel "obligated" to start talking.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit