Thread: Acting ability and Socionics information elements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Acting ability and Socionics information elements

is the ability to act (theater,film,etc) in any way related to these shapes?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The correlation is at best marginal.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably F > T. ENFjs are known for being great actors in particular.

The best actors are those that are properly fit to their role, though, so you need another type for every type of character you want to portray.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hows about when it comes to flexibility?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I believe the most expressive actors are ESFp's and ESFj's and usually T types don't make very good actors at all with the exception of Johnny Depp
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naturalistic acting as practiced generally throughout the country is not type related. Fe is the function that is the most naturally associated with communicating one's emotions in such a way as to communicate others' emotions, but that actually has more in common with presentational acting than any other kind.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matilda View Post
    is the ability to act (theater,film,etc) in any way related to these shapes?
    The only relation I see to those shapes and acting is this:

:wink:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    ..and usually T types don't make very good actors at all with the exception of Johnny Depp
    Bullshit. The Hollywood is full of great (S)T actors.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    Bullshit. The Hollywood is full of great (S)T actors.
    That was a personal bias...I do like SF actors/actresses the best though
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    Naturalistic acting as practiced generally throughout the country is not type related. Fe is the function that is the most naturally associated with communicating one's emotions in such a way as to communicate others' emotions, but that actually has more in common with presentational acting than any other kind.
    what do you mean by
    Naturalistic acting
    and how does it differ from
    presentational acting

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    The only relation I see to those shapes and acting is this:

:wink:

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    The best actors are those that are properly fit to their role, though, so you need another type for every type of character you want to portray.
    Yeah, that's the problem.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's type-related, not in the sense that only certain types will be successful at acting (as I don't think that's true for a myriad different reasons that I don't feel like typing out), but in the sense that the areas of it particular people struggle with or are naturally good at, etc. will probably reflect their type.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Yes, I agree, considering also that good acting goes far beyond simply parroting how you're supposed to portray the character. I know that in movies at least, the actors themselves bring quite a lot to the portrayal of their roles, other than what the director initially has in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat
    Probably F > T. ENFjs are known for being great actors in particular.
    Um, where does it say that "ENFjs are known for being great actors"?

In lieu of the above, I don't see how the F > T thing really holds. I mean, yes, for example is about emotional expression, but not all acting roles are about emotional expression.

However, perhaps F types (or -valuers) would be better at theater acting, which is apparently more lax about over-exaggerated expression (imo, and apparently necessary because of the physical distance of the audience) than movie acting.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naturalistic acting is all the acting that you see on TV, film, theater, nowadays. It is based in representing how regular people are, trying to get as close as possible to regular interactions that you would have with your friends.

Presentational acting is an older style (before Stanislavski) where there was less focus on naturalism and more focus on emoting and making one's emotions as broad and strong and forceful as possible. It's like playing emotions rather than playing intentions/motivations/objectives/all that bullshit. This, I think, has more of a bias towards Fe types.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The best actor I know is an EIE. ILEs also make great actors, followed by SLEs. I don't know an ESE who acts, but I think they'd be good, too. IEEs aren't bad at it. I'm pretty good at it.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I don't know ....the nickname for EIE's only happens to be "the actor" in many texts.
    No doubt any type can be an actor, especially when characters fit their type

Second:Fe types have the greatest command and control over their emotions and thus can be counted on to more accurately express the emotional context/content.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jughead View Post
    No doubt any type can be an actor, especially when characters fit their type
    Precisely. I believe casting is the most important part of a play. If one type were to play all the parts of an unknown play, I'd choose an EIE. But I know an ILI who has done his characters very well.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's type related...I was always good at it and got leads w/o even trying very hard. I had F friends who were horrible at it. Just like singing or something, not everyone is good at it. So I don't think it's type related.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)