Thread: Type descriptions <-> Reinin dichotomies ?

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type descriptions <-> Reinin dichotomies ?

I compared the type description of an INTj on socionics.com with the Reinin dichotomies. All of them can be found in the description (including the "uncovered" one):

When defending their concepts and ideas during a confrontation their logic can become solid and absolute.
    Obstinate. Interest-protecting...

They cut out all irrelevant details that may cloud the argument.
    Static. Dynamic types try to explain more...

Although the first impression of INTjs is that they are emotionless, when they become inspired during conversation an emotionality previously unseen begins to emerge. Their eyes start flashing with a fanatic light and their passion increases as the conversation progresses.
    Merry, even though Fe is weak...

INTjs always give others a chance to say what they need to say.
    Asking. Declaring types rather talk themselves...

They consider that everyone has got talents and they try at least not to interfere.
    Democratic. Aristocratic types may believe other people don't have talents...

They do not refuse any proposals immediately, preferring to examine them first.
    Judicious. Decisive types sometimes make decisions without having any idea...

INTjs usually have an interest that stays with them for a long time and are absolutely indifferent to what others say about it.
    Farsighted. They rely on their experience, their own opinions...

They never endorse their position in life.
    Negativist. Positivists are rather happy with what they have...

In fact INTjs are so weird that they do not just appear weird to people who don't know them, but to other INTjs as well.
    Result, they produce crazy ideas all the time. Process types do everything step by step...

It works on the principle that an angry person has very little control over their emotions and therefore cannot suppress their true feelings, which often keeps the truth from coming out. INTjs normally do not apply this principle to anybody unless they are unsure.
    Emotivist. They want to understand the true emotional state of others...

For instance, if you ask an INTj to design a good chair to withstand the weight of one adult, when it is finished it would probably withstand the weight of one adult elephant
    Strategic. They focus on goals all the time...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very subjective. It would be more impressive if you managed to do this with a set of existing descriptions/definitions of the Reinin dichotomies rather than to make your own up as you go.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's take another example: ENFj.

ENFjs enjoy the company of people who give off plenty of positive emotions.
    Merry.

They often dramatise reality a little too much as they seem to see the world in shades of grey.
    Negativist.

ENFjs posses the ability to be great orators as they know how to paint speeches in many colours and how to keep the attention of the listener.
    Dynamic.

When interacting, they are sometimes parasitic and intrusive with their opinions and comments.
    Constructivist. Insensitive...

They have also tendency to create problems where there are not any and moreover to convince others of it.
    Obstinate.

ENFjs also have tendency to behave aristocratically. They can give the impression that they are from noble families.
    Aristocratic.

Because of this they often send other people on missions with various instructions in order to get rid of them so they can work comfortably.
    Process. Step by step...

ENFjs have no problems undertaking very difficult tasks and projects or working long unsociable hours. ENFjs strongly believe that human potential is unlimited.
    Strategic. Focus on goals...

I can't see Decisive, Carefree and Asking in that description...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must admit. These dichotomies are actually pretty good: like I'm surspized how well they work in typing people if you do it right. Though I'm still pretty skeptical, as I'm not sure that they work on a lot of people.

Maybe they do work on some others, but that I or they just have their types wrong. So not saying it might work every time.

I can't say if those type descriptions get the dichotomies in enough, even in the examples you pinpointed. Seems like the descriptions would need some work on that part.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are only 16 types. Memorizing their behaviors shouldn't be that much of a task. When it comes to type descriptions; relating described type behaviors to the reinin dichotomies is redundant; especially if you want to know the types better.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is pretty interesting, actually. It would be interesting to see descriptions that more explicitly explain how all the Reinin dichotomies work out in practice for each type.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    There are only 16 types. Memorizing their behaviors shouldn't be that much of a task. When it comes to type descriptions; relating described type behaviors to the reinin dichotomies is redundant; especially if you want to know the types better.
    I don't want to know types better and don't care if it's redundant. I just asked myself the following two question:
    1.) Are Reinin dichotomies useful and accurate? Yes, they are.
    2.) Do they appear in Gulenko's type descriptions then? Yes, they do.

Creepy-Cyclops

I haven't checked myself, but i'm curious, have you tried equally applying the opposite dichotomies to the description? It would maybe help to make it a fairer test.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I haven't checked myself, but i'm curious, have you tried equally applying the opposite dichotomies to the description? It would maybe help to make it a fairer test.
    For INTj I can't see "wrong" dichotomies in the descriptions. But in this plus-minus profile ENFj is called "judicious" explicitly.