Thread: Unpasteurized milk

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Unpasteurized milk

There's a farm around here where you can buy unpasteurized milk. Well, that's illegal, so you have to buy a share of the farm, and then you can get the milk, because you can only drink unpasteurized milk from cows you own.

Anyway, legalities aside, it's pretty popular among friends of mine. They say that pasteurizing milk makes it less nutritious, and they pay around $7 a gallon for it, and that's after buying the share of the farm (which I think is $50 a year?). And that pasteurizing isn't necessary as far as illness goes if it's a small farm with pastured cows who eat only grass because it's not hard to keep things sanitary in those conditions.

What do people here think about unpasteurized milk? Does anyone drink it? The way my friends talk about it makes me curious to try it.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My family drank it when I was young, because we'd get it from family friends who were dairy farmers. We'd just fill jugs out of the tank. But I was only 7, so I don't remember that much about it.

They definitely have to keep things very clean. Some of the diseases you can possibly contract are pretty nasty. I was going to ask my dad about that sometime.. how common it was back in the day for people to get diseases like that. He's actually old enough to remember.
    IEE

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just happy that I have milk that I can drink, I don't really care about the fine print. Life could be much worse.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've heard, unpasteurized milk tends to contain more benefits since you're consuming all of the vitamin and mineral content, sort of like raw vegetables do before they're cooked.
    Though the potential hazards of pasteurizing seems to be more of a concern (and understandably so) since it can contain all sorts of diseases and other harmful bacterial content.

But I do still think people should have the right to drink, and sell, unpasteurized milk, as long as it's openly labeled as such and sold privately to limit contamination of other products.
    Though, I personally have no desire to consume it myself for the same reason I won't eat steak tar-tar or raw oysters
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Creepy-Cyclops

Someone told me today that you Americans have cows that are given substances which are illegal in Europe in order to increase cows milk supply. Apparently the milk tastes pure boufin, and you guys use in your squirt on cheese and stuff (which sounds rank rotten on it's own).

Creepy-male

1) I don't care about the fact its illegal, its one of those ridiculous things, they are going to arrest you to help 'protect' from diseases, even though you know the risks and want to take them.... just seems retarded. If people want to buy rat poison and eat it they can, but non-pasteurized milk is all of a sudden a big deal. So yea, I don't care, then again I don't feel passionately enough about the issue to consider worthy of overturning or putting up any resistance.... I guess all I am saying here is if you illegally obtain some of this stuff, I'll keep it on the down low you know so you don't get busted for having unpasturized milk

2) Don't catch a disease if you drink it

3) I am not interested in it myself, I'd rather have that little less grade in quality for the assurance that its virtually disease free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

given substances which are illegal in Europe in order to increase cows milk supply.
    Yup. Though you can buy milk from farmer's who don't use it. It's labeled differently.

There are lots of things over here that illegal in Europe. A lot of the chemicals in cosmetics, for instance.
    IEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah well that's another benefit of this milk. The cows are pasture raised instead of raised on corn in a factory farm setting, and not shot up full of hormones and drugs. I could pastureize it myself in a big pot but I don't know if it's worth the trouble. I saw the farm and it looks pretty darn clean. The farmer said you're more likely to get sick off lunch meat.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope it tastes like regular milk.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can sell unpasteurised milk over here. It just has to be labeled as "not fit for human consumption" or some such. Stupid technicalities. :-p

I tried some ultra fresh goat milk a couple weeks ago (5 minutes old).. but the warmth of it kept making me think of warm, pink udders and it was all too much. :-p Made me feel rather shallow! But I knew this goat personally too - this big brown goat, and knew that she'd been walking around bloated with too much milk because her kids had been eaten by eagles. :-/ How do you enjoy milk attached to such a dramatic context? :-p Interestingly, my SLI brother felt the same as me. My LSI mother just pronounced it delicious milk. haha
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    The farmer said you're more likely to get sick off lunch meat.
    which is EXTREMELY unlikely. I read that most lunchmeat is washed so clean that it lasts far longer than the date they stamp on it but that they can't extend that date because it wouldn't be believable (I'm referring to packaged lunch meat that's unopened).

I do drink organic milk from cows that aren't given hormones, etc. and it costs about $6/gallon. But it's pasteurized.

Oh, and I'll add that my 10-year-old daughter can totally tell the difference (as can I) between the taste of "regular" non-organic milk that they offer at school, and the organic milk we drink here at home.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    which is EXTREMELY unlikely. I read that most lunchmeat is washed so clean that it lasts far longer than the date they stamp on it but that they can't extend that date because it wouldn't be believable (I'm referring to packaged lunch meat that's unopened).

I do drink organic milk from cows that aren't given hormones, etc. and it costs about $6/gallon. But it's pasteurized.

Oh, and I'll add that my 10-year-old daughter can totally tell the difference (as can I) between the taste of "regular" non-organic milk that they offer at school, and the organic milk we drink here at home.
    i can tell the difference, too. it's /really/ markedly different.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    We can sell unpasteurised milk over here. It just has to be labeled as "not fit for human consumption" or some such. Stupid technicalities. :-p

I tried some ultra fresh goat milk a couple weeks ago (5 minutes old).. but the warmth of it kept making me think of warm, pink udders and it was all too much. :-p Made me feel rather shallow! But I knew this goat personally too - this big brown goat, and knew that she'd been walking around bloated with too much milk because her kids had been eaten by eagles. :-/ How do you enjoy milk attached to such a dramatic context? :-p Interestingly, my SLI brother felt the same as me. My LSI mother just pronounced it delicious milk. haha
    that is a truly epic story.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII View Post
    that is a truly epic story.
    Haha. :-) I sense epic sarcasm.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to drink it all the time alongside fresh Tiger hearts soaked in the fermented skin of endangered Giant Pandas, while wearing a robe made from the last Caribbean Monk Seal ever sighted. It's very rejuvenating after a hard day; I suggest you all try it.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    I like to drink it all the time alongside fresh Tiger hearts soaked in the fermented skin of endangered Giant Pandas, while wearing a robe made from the last Caribbean Monk Seal ever sighted. It's very rejuvenating after a hard day; I suggest you all try it.
    Now that's epic! Does the robe stink?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that's epic! Does the robe stink?
    Nope. I cleanse it with the bile secretions of a thousand Antilopine Wallaroos.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Nope. I cleanse it with the bile secretions of a thousand Antilopine Wallaroos.
    You really sound on top of things!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, I drink it when I'm on a hike/trip to the mountains, since they have milk from truly grazing cow (since you say that the cows from "your" farm only eat grass, it would be the same). In my experience, it's far more tasty, but you need to get used to it, because it can be harder to digest (read: most people will need to go to the bathroom much more often when they first start drinking unpasteurized milk).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    In my experience, it's far more tasty, but you need to get used to it, because it can be harder to digest (read: most people will need to go to the bathroom much more often when they first start drinking unpasteurized milk).
    Why do you think that is?

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you think that is?
    Probably the accumulation of bacteria upsetting your digestive system that would have otherwise been killed off in the pasteurisation process
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khola View Post
    Probably the accumulation of bacteria upsetting your digestive system that would have otherwise been killed off in the pasteurisation process
    ahh of course

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there's so much debate about milk, and the bad things in the regular milk like hormones, etc. And except for the skim it's kinda fatty, so I just drink soy milk or rice milk. Way cheaper and you can keep it on a shelf until it's opened. I definitely prefer it (after getting used to it being different from the other milk).
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels
    so I just drink soy milk or rice milk
    Soy, btw, is quite toxic.

Welcome to Soy Online Service

With vegan parents I literally grew up on soy-based products and it has caused me numerous health problems.

Ofc, I encourage everyone to read up on this and make up their own mind.

EII - Ne
    5w6 sp/so/sx

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shagbag The Wizard View Post

With vegan parents I literally grew up on soy-based products and it has caused me numerous health problems.

afaik fermented soy products are okay and quite good for you. it's just the cheap soy crap they put in everything ever that is toxic.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shagbag The Wizard View Post

Yeah, I've heard that soy milk is generally a pretty hairy product. Basically, I think it's a good idea to just keep things as natural as possible. Drink straight from the cow if possible. :-p

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    afaik fermented soy products are okay and quite good for you. it's just the cheap soy crap they put in everything ever that is toxic.
    Fermented soy milk?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fermented soy milk?
    it does exist, fwiw. just not largely in the united states, and i'd guess probably not in australia either. soy yogurt etc.

anyhow fermentation is WONDERFUL because it makes everything like delicious stinky feet. yum yum.

6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    it does exist, fwiw. just not largely in the united states, and i'd guess probably not in australia either. soy yogurt etc.

anyhow fermentation is WONDERFUL because it makes everything like delicious stinky feet. yum yum.

Mm mm. :-p

I like sauerkraut though. Sauerkraut and yoghurt don't taste like stinky feet. :-p Though actually.. I've tried some homemade yoghurt that did. :-/

Creepy-bg

Drink straight from the cow if possible. :-p

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    afaik fermented soy products are okay
    Yeah, the problem is our western industry doesn't have the patience to ferment soy until it's safe. Time is money after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon
    Drink straight from the cow if possible.

Well, I actually did that once on a school trip. (Obviously not straight from the udder, lol, it was in a cup, I promise ). But yeah, it was hot, thick and slimy. And generally nauseating considering I had just watched it come out of the cow.

EII - Ne
    5w6 sp/so/sx

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know this; good to know.

You're welcome.

EII - Ne
    5w6 sp/so/sx

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can anyone drink milk? Just the idea of it is vomit inducing. I haven't had it in years and never plan to again.

Lol, personally I don't drink it on its own, it's usually mixed into something.....cereal, cake, whatever. Just drinking milk is kinda gross.

Also, I always go with fat free, as *most* of the hormones / antibiotics etc. are stored in the fat.

EII - Ne
    5w6 sp/so/sx

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cereal with water is surprisingly good. And you can almost never tell the difference if you substitute water for milk when you're baking, I think it's all in the head.

Creepy-Cyclops

A vegan friend of mine has his cereal with pineapple juice.

Creepy-bg

Jack Daniels goes best with cereal

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica
    Cereal with water is surprisingly good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    A vegan friend of mine has his cereal with pineapple juice.
    Lol, yum?

I guess it depends on the cereal. I probably wouldn't have water or pineapple juice with corn flakes, lol. Maybe froot loops? (Don't eat those anyway - colorants, flavourants blah blah blah....)

I generally avoid sugary foods. I normally have oatmeal or granola/muesli. Oatmeal doesn't really need any milk.

And.....oatmeal is a superfood, I love it. It's an extreme anti-inflammatory, and has tons of zinc (important for men ).

EII - Ne
    5w6 sp/so/sx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast