Thread: Enneagram type 7 and helping other people

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram type 7 and helping other people

Is it normal for E7s to be completely selfless and ignore their own safety, possibly risk their health, wealth, reputation or other physical assets to help others?

ETA: possibly for the thrill of risking their assets.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mm I guess so. I don't think 7s care a lot about safety, health, wealth, reputation (or perhaps it would be better to say: they're among the E-types that care the least about that). Although it depends on what kind of help: I'd totally do that for a friend that was in a physical risk (say, trapped under an avalanche), I wouldn't do anything if the problem was "emotional", though.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Is it normal for E7s to be completely selfless and ignore their own safety, possibly risk their health, wealth, reputation or other physical assets to help others?
    That is why they call us "idealists"

What assets?

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Mm I guess so. I don't think 7s care a lot about safety, health, wealth, reputation (or perhaps it would be better to say: they're among the E-types that care the least about that). Although it depends on what kind of help: I'd totally do that for a friend that was in a physical risk (say, trapped under an avalanche), I wouldn't do anything if the problem was "emotional", though.
    Yes, some people prefer to fuck their own brain instead of being optimistic and hardworking, which are two key assets in our "personality".
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Actually I thought E7s were the most cruel of the enneagram types but maybe when theres a friend in need they just dont give a shit a and help out.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Why do so many people blame the victim? So somebody has a fucked up brain just cause they understand the game society is playing? Just cause they can look at the big picture enough to see everything? Whatever. People are just too left-brained, I had this revelation earlier. If they could just see my perspective for two seconds they'd flip out lmao.

Yes, some people prefer to fuck their own brain instead of being optimistic and hardworking, which are two key assets in our "personality".
    You have to look at the WHOOOLE entire picture. What are you really making by being optimistic, hard-working and realistic and pragmatic? You are being efficient and productive but to what ends? Is it even good for the earth in the long run? Probably not. FUCK THAT SHIT.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    What are you really making by being optimistic, hard-working and realistic and pragmatic? You are being efficient and productive but to what ends? Is it even good for the earth in the long run? Probably not. FUCK THAT SHIT.
    Well, you added realistic and pragmatic. Those are definitely not type-7 typical traits, quite the opposite actually.

Creepy-male

I thought E7s avoided "hard work" and unpleasant chores and duties?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you added realistic and pragmatic. Those are definitely not type-7 typical traits, quite the opposite actually.
    I've heard that 7w8s are very realistic/pragmatic, even to the point where they can seem like 3s. 7w6 is the more childish and idealistic 7.
    The saddest ESFj

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3, 1, 5 are the most pragmatic (competency Triad)

7, 9, 2 are the least (positive outlook Triad)

6's and 8's are pretty pragmatic too, but they seem to be distracted by their own bullshit too much. 1's, 3's, and 5's have a drive to be productive and useful.
    The end is nigh

The devil whispers close to my ears. Quote Unquote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes
    Ein neuer Mann

The devil whispers close to my ears. Quote Unquote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    6's and 8's are pretty pragmatic too, but they seem to be distracted by their own bullshit too much. 1's, 3's, and 5's have a drive to be productive and useful.
    as a E7 I can say I really want to be prolific and productive, but only for the sake of myself, I don't care about the general view on the usefulness of my work.
    Ein neuer Mann

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I thought E7s avoided "hard work" and unpleasant chores and duties?
    Isn't that an Si thing in SEI and SLI?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

3, 1, 5 are the most pragmatic (competency Triad)

7, 9, 2 are the least (positive outlook Triad)

4s can be pretty productive too. when they want to be.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Actually I thought E7s were the most cruel of the enneagram types but maybe when theres a friend in need they just dont give a shit a and help out.
    6s are probably the most cruel type

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    I've heard that 7w8s are very realistic/pragmatic, even to the point where they can seem like 3s. 7w6 is the more childish and idealistic 7.
    says the electric sheep.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Almagest View Post
    as a E7 I can say I really want to be prolific and productive, but only for the sake of myself, I don't care about the general view on the usefulness of my work.
    Yeah, well put.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    LOL

I can see why you think this hahaa
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Not really, I've had an ESTp e7w8 friend before and we had problems occasionally, but it was when I would freak out about things. E7's are just the type of people who approach life with alot of creativity and mental energy, they pursue after ideals, and just want to live life to the fullest. For this reasons e7's are not keen on embellishing people's emotional problems or there own for that matter, they prefer to stay busy and in pursuit of those things they enjoy. They are also adventurous and don't want to get chained down by worries and melancholy.

To some of the types which thrive on empathy and compassion and take great efforts to talk about their trials and tribulations, this seems cruel and indifferent. But the e7 is bright optimistic and adventurous, not serious and dramatic.

Anyways, they are still people and they will help a person out in need, but you know probably in a very e7-ish way. I'd imagine them being very mentally quick in a situation, with a sort of aire of optimistic arrogance.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    8's are probably the obvious choice for cruelity

8w7-6/5-3 probably is most cruel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6s are known for being walking contradictions, so for each cruel moment there is an equally compassionate counter. 8/7s are probably more cruel because they are image center last and don't care what people think about them, so they can be cruel and not care. 6s want acceptance, so they can't be too cruel.
    The saddest ESFj

El Presidente de Mi Cabeza GallopingQwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno about other 7s, but I personally have risked all of those things and more on a regular basis to help people... sometimes people I've just met, other times people I really care about. It's something I have to constantly struggle with, because if I'm not paying attention I suddenly blink and find that once again I've put my own life on hold to help someone else that often didn't even ask me specifically to do it (but is oh so grateful and effusive when telling me they can't possibly do what I do so could I please keep carrying them to the end?). I'm also always first to step up and speak when I see people getting hurt in a larger group and no one saying anything about it.

And yes, it bites me in the butt pretty much every single time, but I keep doing it anyway for some weird reason.

That's probably why I identify so much with an Ani DiFranco song called 'Face Up and Sing':

"some chick says
    thank you for saying all the things I never do
    I say
    the thanks I get is to take all the shit for you
    it's nice that you listen
    it'd be nicer if you joined in
    as long as you play their game girl
    you're never going to win"

I get the feeling Ani's a 7, too.
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

No trees were destroyed in sending this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I am definitely a 7, and most likely an IEE. Stay tuned for further updates.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh uhm that could be a difference between 7w6 and 7w8 - I never feel resentful when I speak up because I don't feel like I'm doing it for anybody else other than my own amusement

El Presidente de Mi Cabeza GallopingQwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh uhm that could be a difference between 7w6 and 7w8 - I never feel resentful when I speak up because I don't feel like I'm doing it for anybody else other than my own amusement
    Oh I don't feel resentful when i speak up... I just get annoyed when afterward I get the flood of private messages/calls saying "Oh it's so great that you said that, I agree with you!" and I'm sitting there thinking, ok, then why didn't any of you back me up when I was taking the heat for saying it publicly?

One of the sad truths I have learned is that, in real life, you are very rarely backed up when you take a stand on anything. That's why, when it does happen, it makes the history books.
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

No trees were destroyed in sending this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I am definitely a 7, and most likely an IEE. Stay tuned for further updates.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I reiterate this point:

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    The saddest ESFj

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4's are not productive in any reliable sense. being part of the reactive harmonic, image center, and frustration object relation, they are the most internally unstable and moody type.

4's might sit in a room for days painting, sewing, reading, etc. But this is not constant. Eventually their mood will change and they might not even be able to look at their hobby because of strange negative emotions it will stir. This happens with people, work, places, things... constant flux of push and pull. Something will evoke hopeful pride in one light, and shameful despair in another. 4's have trouble with mundane tasks and keeping focused.

7's may be helpful situationally, but the fixation itself is not associated with sharing resources, empathizing, supporting people, etc.
    The end is nigh

Creepy-male

4's are not productive in any reliable sense. being part of the reactive harmonic, image center, and frustration object relation, they are the most internally unstable and moody type.

4's might sit in a room for days painting, sewing, reading, etc. But this is not constant. Eventually their mood will change and they might not even be able to look at their hobby because of strange negative emotions it will stir. This happens with people, work, places, things... constant flux of push and pull. Something will evoke hopeful pride in one light, and shameful despair in another. 4's have trouble with mundane tasks and keeping focused.
    Thats why I am proud to be a 5w4, Its like the best of both worlds (not really but hey), the 4 in me doesn't like the mundane tasks and what not, but being a 5 I don't find it hard to have a steely mental focus. The 8 helps to with just being tough and getting stuff down.

Of course as having a 4 in my heart trifix I tend to really feel negative about having to do stuff I don't really like or find to be un-meaningful. Its not like I don't want to work, I just want to work at something I find some connection to my identity with and I want it something that sparks alot of internal enthusiasm when I am doing it and then I want to see other peoples enthusiasm with it when I've completed what I am doing.

Needless to say the 5w4 isn't fun in the academic world, you've got the brains of a 5 but the 4 part leads you to feel underappreciated. In american university there is no purpose to an education that ties in with your identity, its all based around getting a hefty paying job that you'll likely hate, but will provide an abundant material life (being honest here). Also there is no real expected enthusiasm in the typical 4 way. Your supposed to derive enthusiasm in school from gold stars, graduation events, award cermonies, exclusive membership clubs (deans lists, honor societies), etc.... I mean these organizations and events don't actually mean anything I feel but are designed to help people cope with stuff they normally wouldn't do. Finally most teachers are very dry in their reception of your work, basically you really don't matter, do whats requested of you, shutup, and they'll compute out where you stand then determine if you can make the cut for one of these exclusive societies or group to ellevate your status above your peers. Oh did I mention 5's are naturally mental adept so that just makes the academic world worse, cause your probably a pretty intelligent person but the w4 part of you is dissatisfied and leads you to loose focus in a sort of intentional way so it doesn't seem like your a star academic. The typical perspective of people who study the enneagram is that university education is largely a 6w5 so/sp fixed ethos.

edit: god I've derailed this topic, please feel free to respond, but sorry about the tangent

Creepy-male

7's may be helpful situationally, but the fixation itself is not associated with sharing resources, empathizing, supporting people, etc.
    This probably comes from another triad point than the 7. Though 7's are personable and I think would be willing to help people. I just don't envision the 7 being really serious/dark/worried/concerned with the helping process, they are usually very light-hearted, ideal-seeking, and mentally sharp and clever.

Lol you want to be around a 7 when life starts to feel like its too serious, stupid, and routine. This is really what I think the social value of a seven is, otherwise the world would be miserable because of overdone seriousness.

The 8 makes the seven more action oriented, so they bring a sort of reckless action oriented element to the 7's element and you get the proverbial fun badass.

The 6 gives the seven a more bonding and loyal quality, so they bring a sort of buddy quality to the 7's element. 6w7's are darker and more serious while 7w6's are more light. Both are more lighthearted than any of the darker/normal enneagram types.

lol 4's are probably the dark type. 8, 1, 5, and 3 can be situationally dark or bright. The 7, 9, and 2 (positive outlook group) tend to be the brightest. Although I think 2's tend to have a potentially for having dark life cause they are easy targets for abusive and charming sx 8's. 8's and 2's form the perfect formula for the proverbial girl who gets abused by the man, and it all comes down to the integrative link between 8's and 2's and possessiveness.