Thread: The michelangelo Phenomenon

Hybrid View

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The michelangelo Phenomenon

Not an alternative typology, but interesting from a Socionics perspective anyway: The Michelangelo phenomenon.

Michelangelo is suppoed to have said that when he created a scultpture, it was already present in the stone, he only had to remove the stone surrounding it.

Similarly, a good partner can bring out the sculpture that is already within us. So basically, the Michelangelo Phenomenon and Socionics Duality are similar concepts.

Have fun reading these articles from The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology:

http://www.carylrusbult.com/document...Psychology.pdf (1999)

http://www.carylrusbult.com/document...Psychology.pdf (2009)
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really interesting. This is my point of view

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon Bonaparte
    If you want a hand to help you, you'll find it at the end of your arm
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Really interesting. This is my point of view
    Whether or not you hold that POV, when with an SEI (the ultimate discomfort avoiders) you have no other option
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Whether or not you hold that POV, when with an SEI (the ultimate discomfort avoiders) you have no other option
    why?
    *insert witty comment here*

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fabelie View Post
    why?
    SEI's are nice people and can provide a lot of comfort (actually, they provide themselves a lot of comfort first and you profit because they allow you to hop on the bandwagon). But don't ask the average SEI to drill a hole in the wall; they can, but their discomfort avoidance (ignoring Se), will make them feign incompetence (PoLR Te) to such an extent, that they themselves start believing they are not competent enough for it.

Don't ask them to get you some groceries either, because if you ask them to buy oranges, and these are sold out at the supermarket, they'll improvise by buying you lemons instead, which to them is logical, because both are citrus (mobilizing Ti), instead of using their mobile phones to ask you what alternative you'd like. If you really must, provide very explicit instructions on how to act if they can't find what you want.

This description is quite over the top or course, but in essence true: one shouldn't rely on SEI's for Se and Te-related activities (duh!). And I can tell: I live with one! Don't ask an SEI to lend a hand, it's not worth the trouble. Ask them to cook something nice instead. Respect them for what they are
    Last edited by consentingadult; 03-04-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: updated for improved reading and minor clarifications

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha very interesting. Thank you!
    *insert witty comment here*