Thread: Do IEIs/INFps like being thought of as "fun"?

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do IEIs/INFps like being thought of as "fun"?

Just curious.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably not especially; I think they would prefer interesting, mysterious or insightful, at least as far as a stereotype will do. I would say EIEs probably like to be thought of as fun, but don't place as much weight in this aspect of their personality as other areas of interpersonal significance, usually concerning their general charisma or gravitas and self-presentation higher on the list. ESEs and SEIs probably both like to be thought of as "fun." My LSE mother loves being seen as "fun," actually, confirmed by both her own claim of said trait and fairly regular pronouncements that she (and the rest of our family) are strange and interesting and unusually fun to be with. Not ESPECIALLY true for me, as my parents are both religious and very moral, and I tend to go for group pastimes like doing drugs, shooting guns, discussing existential or psychological literature, causing chaos at just about any opportunity, and listening to music exceptionally loud while freestyling. We interact well 1 on 1 (LSE mother, EII father, SEI sister, and me EIE), but my mother and I tend to have power/priority/control struggles in family matters and group activities. But there are occasions when everything works out well and we all have a good time together.

Keep in mind this is basically all irrelevant if someone is a 7 (especially sx/so or so/sx first, with the least pervasive in this trait being sp/sx; 7-wing, too, even, again more or less likely depending on subtype), in which case they are probably going to want to be seen as fun no matter what Sociotype they are.

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who wouldn't like to be "interesting" though?
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fun isn't an adjective I'd be particularly glad to hear, as it doesn't really say all that much about me as a person (this may be E4 talking---although I don't like that formulation: E4 talking, I mean, it's me talking, obviously, E4 is just a description...), but it's not something I'd be unhappy to hear. I mean, I'd be more interested in someone finding me fascinating or insightful or even impressive (E3...) than fun. Fun is sorta superficial, you know? Now, while I don't especially care about being considered fun, I really care about not being considered boring. Boring is probably one of the worst insults you (generalized "you" throughout this post) could give me, because then I feel like you don't want me to "be myself" (or whatever self I was being) around you, in which case I'd probably pull back some, be less real, maybe more pleasant, share less of my thoughts, etc. So if it's "fun" as in "not boring," I do appreciate that.

What else...? I guess fun is mostly something I deploy, and so when you tell me I'm "fun" all I hear is that my strategy or arsenal is working, but that's just the sweet smell, the pheremones, whatever. I'm far more interested in getting the result, which is friendship or relationship, but basically an intimacy of some kind, on whatever level and type of intimacy with me I want you to be at. Fun is something I do. Compliments that really get me are about what I am.

Side note: oddly enough, compliments about "what I am" include compliments about most/all of my artistic endeavors, especially the poetry, but also the singing and the acting, because I feel like I put some of myself into anything artistic I do, so if you compliment the performance, you are in some sense complimenting who/what I am. I interpret this as E4 with a 3 wing: external accomplishment as proxy for and proof of internal specialness/uniqueness/individuality, etc.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah I'm with silverchris on this one. The worst thing is the world is to be though of as boring. gah. Fun is good. But better than fun would be passionate, intriguing, bursting at the seams, full of life, interesting, cool, always an adventure. (all of which I've been told I am. heh )
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought they liked to be thought of as giant jars of deep and interesting thinky-ness of which constant fun can leak out.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    I thought they liked to be thought of as giant jars of deep and interesting thinky-ness of which constant fun can leak out.
    yeah, this.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm not very fun. In all actuality I'm a quite serious, almost 'dark' person. I don't find most humor very funny. I still like to laugh though I just have a hard time lightening up and finding the joke about something. I'm much more interested in power, the dark sides of people, ethical violations. etc.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I'm not very fun. In all actuality I'm a quite serious, almost 'dark' person. I don't find most humor very funny. I still like to laugh though I just have a hard time lightening up and finding the joke about something. I'm much more interested in power, the dark sides of people, ethical violations. etc.
    really? well there goes SEI as a possible type for you.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEI!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather be fun than interesting. I used to push to be reckless, off the rails, tortured and profound - like it made me so fucking interesting . Then I got over myself. Interesting seems intense, like if someone told me that I were interesting then I would figure that they and I were taking myself too seriously, but I guess I just don't do it too well, I am not like fucking profound or wicked intelligent haa. I just like people with a 'lust for life', who are joyful, it's a lot of fun so I aspire to be that way rather than interesting.
    IEI, sp/sx 4w3.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dinki View Post
    I'd rather be fun than interesting. I used to push to be reckless, off the rails, tortured and profound - like it made me so fucking interesting . Then I got over myself. Interesting seems intense, like if someone told me that I were interesting then I would figure that they and I were taking myself too seriously, but I guess I just don't do it too well, I am not like fucking profound or wicked intelligent haa. I just like people with a 'lust for life', who are joyful, it's a lot of fun so I aspire to be that way rather than interesting.
    Same (bold). I think this could be a subtype thing too. You're Fe-sub, I'm Ni-sub. But really I think either subtype can be fun and/or interesting either at the same time or at different points in one's life. I used to by HYPER focused on being interesting over being fun, like back in college. But now I'd say I like to be both at the same time.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Same (bold). I think this could be a subtype thing too. You're Fe-sub, I'm Ni-sub. But really I think either subtype can be fun and/or interesting either at the same time or at different points in one's life. I used to by HYPER focused on being interesting over being fun, like back in college. But now I'd say I like to be both at the same time.
    I used to hate "fun" people. They were always so frivilious and full of shit, and never seemed to take "input" properly when they were completely irrational and irrelevant.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Did anyone ever tell you that you were interesting?

One time there was this strange girl at my place. I'm not quite sure how she ended up there. With a friend of mine I think. Anyway, we were having a boring conversation and she put her hand on my leg and said that I was "interesting".

Anyway, the way I see it is that I think she was a prostitute or something. And so she was used to stroking guys egos.

But like if it was actually interesting, then it would mean something.

I think the more you hear you're interesting, the less you see people as having their own significance. Like when I was young, it used to be kind of common for me to get into situations where people would hang off my words a bit. And I'd know the feeling, and I'd know it was there, but like it would kind of bug me a little like I prefered to argue. I liked the intensity high, I didn't want people to just fucking agree with me. So I'd kind of get "abusive" and get grabby and shit. And be like WAKE UP. .. What the fuck is wrong with you. Do you not have any self-identity.

But yeah, I find when intensity rose like that I could tell who was comfortable and who wasn't. Who could change, or who was like confused/unsure how to act etc. ..

And if people didn't respond then I'd just walk away. Then later sometimes people would be like "i thought we were havign a good conversation .. and then you went weird .. and got pissed off and just left .. "

blah ..

So I'd walk away again.

Anyway, who the fuck would want to be interesting. To captivate attention means shit all if you're not getting anything out of it.

TIM
    IEI!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    Did anyone ever tell you that you were interesting?

One time there was this strange girl at my place. I'm not quite sure how she ended up there. With a friend of mine I think. Anyway, we were having a boring conversation and she put her hand on my leg and said that I was "interesting".

Anyway, the way I see it is that I think she was a prostitute or something. And so she was used to stroking guys egos.

Haha.

But like if it was actually interesting, then it would mean something.

I agree. I hate empty compliments.

I think the more you hear you're interesting, the less you see people as having their own significance. Like when I was young, it used to be kind of common for me to get into situations where people would hang off my words a bit. And I'd know the feeling, and I'd know it was there, but like it would kind of bug me a little like I prefered to argue. I liked the intensity high, I didn't want people to just fucking agree with me. So I'd kind of get "abusive" and get grabby and shit. And be like WAKE UP. .. What the fuck is wrong with you. Do you not have any self-identity.

What you're talking about, I don't relate to being interesting. When you draw that kind of attention to yourself, I think it's more about having a character that demands attention. It's cool when people are interested in your ideas and views but that's a different thing. Interesting just seems a little cold, like devoid of feeling, I just find it odd to be called interesting, I feel like it's only a half-compliment. But I don't care that much how people want to define me as long as they can meet me, as long as they intertest me.

Haha. Yeah! It really pisses me off too. People get caught up in you - it just get's boring if they can't get you caught up in them, it's like 'come on and fucking give me something'! It's a waste of time. I get pissed off and start pushing people to react. I'd rather have people pissed off with me, giving me some intensity then just standing around, boring and compliant.

But yeah, I find when intensity rose like that I could tell who was comfortable and who wasn't. Who could change, or who was like confused/unsure how to act etc. ..

And if people didn't respond then I'd just walk away. Then later sometimes people would be like "i thought we were havign a good conversation .. and then you went weird .. and got pissed off and just left .. "

blah ..

So I'd walk away again.

Haha

Anyway, who the fuck would want to be interesting. To captivate attention means shit all if you're not getting anything out of it.
    Last edited by dinki; 03-02-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    IEI, sp/sx 4w3.

TIM
    IEI!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I agree with you! Maybe it's just an age thing, I am more used to this Alpha/Beta group mentality of party and take it likely and don't talk about intellectual, heavy shit because nobody cares. But developing friendships with a lot of older Gamma's, inspires me to be interesting - they are cool and intense, but not in a reckless, clumsy Beta way haha ^-^! I just really respect it. Most of my Beta friends have the right mix of hedonism and intellectualism - so these relationships are the most uninhibited because you can get deeper & more serious than Alpha's like to or you can just get totally hedonistic in a way that Gammas wouldn't. Naive stereotyping much ^-^? I guess both is cool but I don't care that much how people percieve me.

Nice sig !
    IEI, sp/sx 4w3.

what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

I'm a huge bundle of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    I'm a huge bundle of fun.
    your a huge bundle of something alright
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    IEI 4 sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure.
    i don't see how you can really clearly and concisely and accurately answer that question.

"If you can find out little melodies for yourself on the piano it is all very well. But if they come of themselves when you are not at the piano, then you have still greater reason to rejoice; for then the inner sense of music is astir in you. The fingers must make what the head wills, not vice versa."- Robert Schumann

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you! Maybe it's just an age thing, I am more used to this Alpha/Beta group mentality of party and take it likely and don't talk about intellectual, heavy shit because nobody cares. But developing friendships with a lot of older Gamma's, inspires me to be interesting - they are cool and intense, but not in a reckless, clumsy Beta way haha ^-^! I just really respect it. Most of my Beta friends have the right mix of hedonism and intellectualism - so these relationships are the most uninhibited because you can get deeper & more serious than Alpha's like to or you can just get totally hedonistic in a way that Gammas wouldn't. Naive stereotyping much ^-^? I guess both is cool but I don't care that much how people percieve me.

Nice sig !
    It seems like your only talking about Dynamic types...

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Is this really type related? I mean, nobody wants to be thought of as boring and shallow.

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah... personally I would actually prefer to pretend this topic never happened...
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Is this really type related? I mean, nobody wants to be thought of as boring and shallow.
    i do. fuck it, who cares.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like being thought of as fun; i AM fun.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know I'm not fun by most people's standards. Most of the time I'd rather just stay home and play on the computer or read rather than go out and socialize.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP