Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default discojoe's useful tips and advice

Disclaimer: The "maxims" are my own personal observations. If any of them are plagiarized it is accidental coincidence.

Leave your computer running 24/7, and set your hard drive to never stop spinning. Heat stress from thermal expansion is one of the leading causes of hardware failure in computers, and it is better for them to be warm continuously (i.e. they will last longer) than to be on-off-on-off etc. The exception to this rule is monitors, which last longer if they are turned off when not in use.

Fight dirty. Chivalry is a scheme promoted by cutthroats to improve their odds of winning. If someone formidable attacks you, blind them, cut them, injure them. Fighting has always been a dirty business, and survival should be valued above honor.

The best antivirus at the moment is Panda Cloud. It is install-and-forget and requires no configuration other than making an account in order to access the virus signature cloud. Uninstall whatever garbage program you are currently using and replace it with Panda Cloud.

Unless it is related to work, agree with everything your boss says. If it is work related, only disagree politely and in private.

Bad breath does not go away unless you scrape your tongue every morning to remove plaque.

Talking about something is not the same as doing it. This seems absurdly obvious, but many people do not seem to understand it.

Your opponent is not your friend. Friends are people we lift up, opponents are people we crush. Love your friend and hate your opponent. Only once he has been defeated can an opponent be lifted to his feet in friendship.

The best website for downloading useful programs is Filehippo.

2^0 = 1
    2^1 = 1x2
    2^2 = 1x2x2

Do not spend money without asking yourself if there is some other expense that takes priority. It is easy to forget about bills when two hundred dollars rest in your wallet.

Math is always simple. When you look at math that seems complex and intimidating, it is exactly like looking at a foreign language that you have not yet learned to read. Once the language is learned, it becomes easy.

When assembling Magic decks, do not add cards merely because they "seem cool." Instead, examine as many cards as you can from the sets you will be using and find cards that work well together. Those cards will form your game strategy, and other cards should only be added in such as way that minimizes interference with the interaction of your core deck cards.

Always assume your opponent could be better than you.

Once you have learned from them, stop thinking about past mistakes. You are just wasting your time.

When in cold weather, the most important part of the body to keep warm is the chest, followed by the neck, followed by the head.

It is better to aim for mostly correct than always correct. The latter goal will lead to over-analysis and anxiety. Pick the most reasonable option and stick with it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what the heck? who are you, Benjamin Franklin?

okay that said, I like the "talking about something is not the same thing as doing it" line. I often need to hear that. And you're right, it seems obvious but most people are talkers rather than doers.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    [B]Leave your computer running 24/7, and set your hard drive to never stop spinning. Heat stress from thermal expansion is one of the leading causes of hardware failure in computers, and it is better for them to be warm continuously (i.e. they will last longer) than to be on-off-on-off etc. The exception to this rule is monitors, which last longer if they are turned off when not in use.

When in cold weather, the most important part of the body to keep warm is the chest, followed by the neck, followed by the head.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post

okay that said, I like the "talking about something is not the same thing as doing it" line. I often need to hear that. And you're right, it seems obvious but most people are talkers rather than doers.
    I've heared a similar expression once, that I like.

It's easyer to fight for your principles then to follow them.

You often see politicians talk about for example, environment and racism, and in the mean time they will not abandon their petrol car, and keep living in a purely white neighbourhood.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Yes.

Yeah, it frustrates me when people talk about needing to do something but just sit there. If I need to do something, I just get up and do it, though some people would say that I am overly cautious before finally deciding to do something.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it frustrates me when people talk about needing to do something but just sit there. If I need to do something, I just get up and do it, though some people would say that I am overly cautious before finally deciding to do something.
    gotta
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some good techno advice by discoblow

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

almost all of these are about magic the gathering right?
    asd

Creepy-bg

does filehippo have full version stuff and files with cracks etc... or just shareware and demos? (I'd look for myself but i don't need anything atm and am lazy)

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Discojoe.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    Not specifically, except for the one that mentions it by name. But I guess you could apply any of them to Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    does filehippo have full version stuff and files with cracks etc... or just shareware and demos? (I'd look for myself but i don't need anything atm and am lazy)
    Filehippo is just for legal stuff. If you want cracks, the best two sites are:

GameCopyWorld - Mirrors - No-CD, No-DVD Patches, Game Fixes, Trainers & Cheats
    GameBurnWorld- Cheats, Game Fixes, No-DVD Patches, Trainers, Covers, No-CD Files

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Thanks, Discojoe.
    np

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    LOL
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-bg

i still use megagames, but thanks.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand Soap works great as improvised deodorant. (for those "Oh shit, I forgot to pack something" moments)

One of the most important and most commonly overlooked elements for nutrition is serving/portion size. Furthermore, plate/bowl/cup size directly influences how much one serves oneself.

Provided you're in a country where such a right exists, always exercise your right to an attorney. Always.

In conversation, a direct answer is almost always more convincing than a thorough one.

When in doubt, don't be; go with what you know and what your instincts are.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eating and sleeping are interchangeable. (And, in a pinch, amphetamines.)

Always look to see if there's toilet paper before sitting down.

Never lend someone something that you wouldn't be willing to just give them. (Unless it's an investment... but don't do that with friends/family and make sure you're being legally smart about it. Clearly defined rules for who's responsible for what.)

If a guy tells you he's an asshole, believe him.

Drinks lots of water.

Save 10% of your income.

Never marry or have a kid in hopes that your relationship will improve as a result.

Eat vegetables every day.

Life is what you make it.

You are solely responsible for your state of being. No one made you happy or sad or angry. You allowed yourself to be happy or sad or angry.

Pain is something to be subordinated to your will.

Mistakes are learning opportunities. It's okay to make a mistake, as long as you learn from it.

Procrastination is simply indecision. Be decisive. Get er done.

Tasks undone are far more fatiguing than work completed.

Never buy a pet that sheds.

Teach a man to fish, I say.
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your opponent is not your friend. Friends are people we lift up, opponents are people we crush. Love your friend and hate your opponent.Only once he has been defeated can an opponent be lifted to his feet in friendship.
    This is VERY not PC, but, I think it has some real truth to it.

It reminds me a bit of democratic peace theory, and classical liberalism vs realism. The best examples of developing democracies come after those two countries had the shit beaten out of them, including economic destruction: Japan and Germany.

I wonder if there is an alternative, but I wouldn't be surprised if their wasn't. The thing is, even if you want an alternative, it would only seem appealing to the people who aren't interested in destroying you, anyway. Tricky.

Other things I like in a standout-sense:

Do not spend money without asking yourself if there is some other expense that takes priority. It is easy to forget about bills when two hundred dollars rest in your wallet.

It is better to aim for mostly correct than always correct. The latter goal will lead to over-analysis and anxiety. Pick the most reasonable option and stick with it.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about know whether your opponent is better than you??? wtf
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    No it's not, sleeping affects you're memory and ability to actually heal yourself and restore yourself.
    You can't just "eat more" and expect your body to do those things it can only do when you're not conscious.
    I think you'd LIKE for them to be interchangeable, but, that's a bit too Si-porl for reality

Drinks lots of water.

Save 10% of your income.

Never marry or have a kid in hopes that your relationship will improve as a result.

Eat vegetables every day.

Life is what you make it.

You are solely responsible for your state of being. No one made you happy or sad or angry. You allowed yourself to be happy or sad or angry.

Pain is something to be subordinated to your will.

Mistakes are learning opportunities. It's okay to make a mistake, as long as you learn from it.

Procrastination is simply indecision. Be decisive. Get er done.

Tasks undone are far more fatiguing than work completed.

Never buy a pet that sheds.

Teach a man to fish, I say.
    Yeah
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    No it's not, sleeping affects you're memory and ability to actually heal yourself and restore yourself.
    You can't just "eat more" and expect your body to do those things it can only do when you're not conscious.
    I think you'd LIKE for them to be interchangeable, but, that's a bit too Si-porl for reality
    I'm more talking about short term solutions. Obviously you need to make up sleep debt or you'll get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Yeah
    (:
    SEE

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bullshit. you can't stay up for days by eating, and it's hard to sleep when you're really hungry. and amphetamines don't really make me not hungry, just so disgusted by the idea of eating that i therefore avoid it even though my stomach hurts so badly i want to crawl up and die. and you can sleep on them if you're tired enough, depending on the dose and type. but really you're better off with plain old caffeine if you don't want to sleep. using amphetamines to stay up is just dumb. i mean everyone does it once and a while but why raise your tolerance over something trivial when you don't have to?

and i'm not in the mood to read the rest of the list…
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read my response to the previous post on this subject.

Similarly to the last post of mine you responded to, that part of my post was a joke.
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    and i'm not in the mood to read the rest of the list…

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the fuck do you want? big red weird face. sunburnt. sick. round. like chairman mao. like a pimple. pop. fuck off
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your opponent is not your friend. Friends are people we lift up, opponents are people we crush. Love your friend and hate your opponent. Only once he has been defeated can an opponent be lifted to his feet in friendship.
    Doesn't apply to casual games?

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. He's talking about Fi, not Ti.
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. He's talking about Fi, not Ti.
    No, I am not literally talking about hate.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

figurative hate?
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

figurative hate?
    It's a state of mind. "Hate" just means firm determination to defeat your enemy. It could mean literal hate, depending on the individual, but it doesn't have to.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all foreign to me. I just know who is standing in my way and try to figure out what it will take to solve the problem.
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all foreign to me. I just know who is standing in my way and try to figure out what it will take to solve the problem.
    God, cut the crap already. These barely-in-context, weak little insertions of proclaimed personal attitudes that reaffirm your "type" at opportune moments have GOT to stop.

Do we really have to do this shit again? ;_;

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wtf.

Do what? Be my guest.
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When reading new information that contains unfamiliar terms, do not try to concentrate too hard. Intense concentration shuts off the ability to accept new input and is only for when we already understand the variables that are in play. With new information, focus only so hard as to mentally paraphrase the new data so as to store it away in memory (which simple passive reading cannot efficiently achieve), while maintaining a relaxed, at-ease mental state.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disclaimer: The "maxims" are my own personal observations. If any of them are plagiarized it is accidental coincidence.

Leave your computer running 24/7, and set your hard drive to never stop spinning. Heat stress from thermal expansion is one of the leading causes of hardware failure in computers, and it is better for them to be warm continuously (i.e. they will last longer) than to be on-off-on-off etc. The exception to this rule is monitors, which last longer if they are turned off when not in use.

Fight dirty. Chivalry is a scheme promoted by cutthroats to improve their odds of winning. If someone formidable attacks you, blind them, cut them, injure them. Fighting has always been a dirty business, and survival should be valued above honor.

The best antivirus at the moment is Panda Cloud. It is install-and-forget and requires no configuration other than making an account in order to access the virus signature cloud. Uninstall whatever garbage program you are currently using and replace it with Panda Cloud.

Unless it is related to work, agree with everything your boss says. If it is work related, only disagree politely and in private.

Bad breath does not go away unless you scrape your tongue every morning to remove plaque.

Talking about something is not the same as doing it. This seems absurdly obvious, but many people do not seem to understand it.

The best website for downloading useful programs is Filehippo.

2^0 = 1
    2^1 = 1x2
    2^2 = 1x2x2

Math is always simple. When you look at math that seems complex and intimidating, it is exactly like looking at a foreign language that you have not yet learned to read. Once the language is learned, it becomes easy.

When assembling Magic decks, do not add cards merely because they "seem cool." Instead, examine as many cards as you can from the sets you will be using and find cards that work well together. Those cards will form your game strategy, and other cards should only be added in such as way that minimizes interference with the interaction of your core deck cards.

Once you have learned from them, stop thinking about past mistakes. You are just wasting your time.

That's some pretty good advice. I either apply it or am going to apply it now I've read it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When reading new information that contains unfamiliar terms, do not try to concentrate too hard. Intense concentration shuts off the ability to accept new input and is only for when we already understand the variables that are in play. With new information, focus only so hard as to mentally paraphrase the new data so as to store it away in memory (which simple passive reading cannot efficiently achieve), while maintaining a relaxed, at-ease mental state.
    Yes! Haha, I know this feeling exactly.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MTG
    The end is nigh

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the US should enact an additional constitutional law "Joy is forbidden from speaking about anything health-related".
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save 10% of your income.
    That's way too little. Perhaps OK if your income is quite low and/or you're really young.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

When I was a student, I used to say loudly to my classmates -just before a test: "If someone asks you a question related to the test, just before a test, just smash his head!"
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast