Thread: being possessive of music/art

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default being possessive of music/art

Do you consider the music you listen to as part of your personality, and naturally feel in some way that it is yours? This can extend to other types of art as well. Does it bother you that certain music is not appreciated by other people, especially ones that really touch you in some way?

I've noticed that for some people, the music you listen to has to correspond with your personality, and they might judge you for what you listen to. I'm quite the opposite of this, music/art is something that I don't "own," and it's just a form of expression... I'm not bothered if some type of music is "unlike my personality"; it's just a matter of appreciating the music. My inclination towards music genres/styles is not defined by some kind of personality model, if I like it, I listen to it. It's odd for me when someone says: "oh, I didn't think you were into that type of music," or when someone just likes one genre and that's it (such as rock or classical). Speaking of which, I also don't understand why rock and classical are treated as mutually exclusive genres that someone can be into.

Creepy-male

It's a little frustrating for me when I'm on some soaring emotional high and nobody feels the same way as me. or is capable of sharing that feeling. One consistent source of the sorts of feelings that are so big that they feel like they're overflowing and you just gotta share them with someone for me is music. So yeah, sometimes it bothers me if someone doesn't appreciate music that's really effected me emotionally.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, if I really like a piece of music, I feel like it's a part of me. After all, listening to music -- or experiencing any work of art -- is an interactive process. So I'll listen to music I love over and over, and instead of getting bored with it, it'll become etched deeper into me. Of course, people should like and dislike whatever they want, but whenever people say "ugh, classical music so boring!" I feel like saying "no, you're boring."

The other day I was at a cafe and they were playing Beethoven's violin concerto. There's this awesome part in the third movement where it modulates and feels really powerful and exciting, and I was getting really into it. But then my friend turns to me and says: "you know, all classical music sounds the same to me."

BTW, I agree that appreciating rock and enjoying classical music aren't mutually exclusive.
    EIE-Ni

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG.

Hipster Beta NFs do this ALL. THE. TIME.

I would know, I used to be one.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nilv View Post
    There's this awesome part in the third movement where it modulates and feels really powerful and exciting, and I was getting really into it. But then my friend turns to me and says: "you know, all classical music sounds the same to me."
    LOL

Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    OMG.

Hipster Beta NFs do this ALL. THE. TIME.

I would know, I used to be one.
    Same! I think it's an immature manifestation of beta NF elitism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Same! I think it's an immature manifestation of beta NF elitism.
    Hah yah totally! I've never thought of it that way before though... immature manifestation of elitism. It explains a lot.

Johari
    Nohari

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a musician and composer, so yes.