Thread: Socionics Magazine?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics Magazine?

I think we can all agree that English-language socionics literature has become very stagnate. English socionics sites either aren't updated very often or just aren't helpful. Even WikiSocion has succumbed to stasis. Occasionally, people post thought-provoking articles on forums (like this one), but they eventually fade into the enormous void of dead threads and buried posts.

That's why I think we should start some sort of online socionics publication. On a practical level, we could publish different people's experiences of types, functions, relationships, and real-life situations relevant to socionics. We would develop a deeper understanding of how socionics manifests itself in daily life. We could even hash it out over whether to have a section on VI.

On a more theoretical level, a publication like this would let us create a more dynamic, focused discussion. In the long term, we could work towards developing socionics as a more coherent, defined, powerful system of understanding human relations.

Finally, this would be a great place for people to publish all the awesome ideas they have that are swallowed by forums and subsequently forgotten. The scattered nature of internet forums and the English-speaking socionics community in general prevents us from realizing the potential of some of the sharpest insights into socionics.

Something like this could enable the English-speaking socionics community to create a new level of engaging discussion, practical understanding, and theoretical rigor. What are your thoughts on this?
    EIE-Ni

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's a cool idea.
    I wonder how administering it, and deciding who gets to write what - how all that would go, though.

You could even tweak a blog service to work for that.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking it would be open to submissions from everybody. We'd need a team of editors to take care of the administration aspect of it.

Yeah, a blog could implement that functionality. However, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to organize something like this in discrete issues (maybe published every month or two) instead of hoping for a continuous trickle of submissions. A more traditional issue-based format might be best in terms of maximizing interest and commitment as well as preventing older articles from getting lost.

I've worked on some similar projects as an editor, writer, and layout designer, and in my experience the most important thing is keeping a steady flow of submissions and a consistent level of commitment. Once that's established, everything else tends to fall into place.
    EIE-Ni

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's definitely a good idea, I often thought about it but I lack the experience. Biggest problem would probably be: who is the "expert" that judges which opinions are worth publishing and which ones aren't?

I also think that a journal format would likely be better than a blog, because it would look a bit more professional.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nilv View Post
    I think we can all agree that English-language socionics literature has become very stagnate. English socionics sites either aren't updated very often or just aren't helpful. Even WikiSocion has succumbed to stasis. Occasionally, people post thought-provoking articles on forums (like this one), but they eventually fade into the enormous void of dead threads and buried posts.

That's why I think we should start some sort of online socionics publication. On a practical level, we could publish different people's experiences of types, functions, relationships, and real-life situations relevant to socionics. We would develop a deeper understanding of how socionics manifests itself in daily life. We could even hash it out over whether to have a section on VI.

On a more theoretical level, a publication like this would let us create a more dynamic, focused discussion. In the long term, we could work towards developing socionics as a more coherent, defined, powerful system of understanding human relations.

Finally, this would be a great place for people to publish all the awesome ideas they have that are swallowed by forums and subsequently forgotten. The scattered nature of internet forums and the English-speaking socionics community in general prevents us from realizing the potential of some of the sharpest insights into socionics.

Something like this could enable the English-speaking socionics community to create a new level of engaging discussion, practical understanding, and theoretical rigor. What are your thoughts on this?
    Great idea, just by translated russian socionics article to "real" does a lot for the english socionics community.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a great idea!
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, I'm happy yall are into this idea.

If there's enough interest and enough people willing to contribute, I'm going to set up a mailing list or discussion group to coordinate this project and get it moving.

And if anyone has any suggestions, post em here!

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Biggest problem would probably be: who is the "expert" that judges which opinions are worth publishing and which ones aren't?
    Good point. I'm thinking this would be the responsibility of the editorial team, which for now would be whoever is interested in putting in the time to make this happen. Especially in the initial stages, we don't want to stifle dialog by being too selective.

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd
    I am for the idea. I could fill a variety of functions, probably. It should have some categorization so that there can be a variety of content (some content being more academic, some lighter and more andecdotal, etc). But I like the ideas you have so far. A blog alone won't do and the forums are alright but too easily degenerate into fluff, user personality factions, and basically a lot of BS which is fine but isn't productive.
    Nice. I agree that a multi-tiered approach would be the best, since it would allow more people to get more out of the publication.

Quote Originally Posted by 07490
    Great idea, just by translated russian socionics article to "real" does a lot for the english socionics community.
    Yeah, socionics really makes me wish I spoke Russian -- well, that, and the fact that Russian is just plain badass.
    EIE-Ni

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This looks tasty. I already have an article or two just stagnating on my hard drive, so I'd be up for it.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff, Cone.

Ok everyone, let's get this shit on the road. Consider this an official...

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

If you have socionics articles that you want to publish, send them to:

socionics.magazine@gmail.com (Yeah, we'll think up a more creative name later...)

Also, anyone who wants to help with editing, layout, and all the behind-the-scenes stuff, or anyone who has web space to donate, please send me a PM or post here! Once we have a good idea of who's up for doing what, I'm going to make a mailing list / Google group to coordinate this project.

And finally, this project is in its most malleable stage right now, so if you have any suggestions/ideas, now would be a great time to post them.

Ok. Let's make this happen.
    EIE-Ni

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, but don't be dismayed if it takes me a few days (or a week) to submit anything. A recent coding competition has got my mind all twisted...
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries, I was planning on waiting a few weeks to see how many articles we can get together -- and meanwhile work on getting the logistical stuff in place. I'm not going to be done with the stuff I'm writing for a few weeks either.

Of course, if anyone has articles ready now, that's awesome since it means we can start the layout sooner.
    EIE-Ni

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would threads from the forum be good?

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...t-polr-ha.html

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...functions.html

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...pervision.html (I question the value of this one)

Gilly's stuff on quadra progression also strikes me as worthy of this, though come to think of it it's probably worth putting even stuff copied from the forum through a magazine-specific peer review (unless you don't want to copy things directly for mthe forum at all).

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am skeptical we have enough dedicated writers to publish a magazine. If we did publish it, it would have to be a six month or yearly publication.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand
    Would threads from the forum be good?

On conflict: The PoLR and HA

On static and dynamic functions

Holographic Supervision (I question the value of this one)

Gilly's stuff on quadra progression also strikes me as worthy of this, though come to think of it it's probably worth putting even stuff copied from the forum through a magazine-specific peer review (unless you don't want to copy things directly for mthe forum at all).
    Yeah, that's great. The way I see it, if we publish stuff that's been posted on the forum in the past, this publication will serve a dual purpose:

1. To prevent some of the insightful articles people have already written and posted from being lost.

2. To provide a better outlet for the awesome articles people will write in the future.

I agree about the magazine-specific peer review. I'm hoping we can get a team of editors who are willing to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII
    I am skeptical we have enough dedicated writers to publish a magazine. If we did publish it, it would have to be a six month or yearly publication.
    Well, I think the socionics community has lots of unrealized potential. I'm hoping that once people have a stable outlet for articles, they'll have more incentive to write stuff and elaborate on their insights into socionics. It's going to come down to whether people would value a publication like this enough to actually contribute to it, and the only way to find out is by going for it!
    EIE-Ni

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me that new (directly submitted) articles should be given priority over old (forum-thread) ones, and articles that will attract the on-and-off editors (which I'm sure there will be many of) to be "on" should be given priority over those that won't (this would probably happen naturally as some articles were quickly pushed through and ready for publication, while others lag behind due to lack of interest).

As for the actual work of editing, a good many forum-thread articles will address the current consensus on this forum within them, and these references will need to be removed without harming the article's content; this will be among the more mundane editing tasks.

I think I could participate in the editing team.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I've set up a Google group to coordinate all the behind-the-scenes work. It'll be especially useful once we get some more submissions, but for now anyone who's interested in helping out with this project should join:

Socionics Magazine Google Group (wow, we really need a name)

It seems to me that new (directly submitted) articles should be given priority over old (forum-thread) ones
    Absolutely.

and articles that will attract the on-and-off editors (which I'm sure there will be many of) to be "on" should be given priority over those that won't (this would probably happen naturally as some articles were quickly pushed through and ready for publication, while others lag behind due to lack of interest).
    I like this idea. It's kind of like natural selection meets editing.

I think I could participate in the editing team.
    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd
    I would like to be involved in the editing process or any jobs you need that I think I could fill.
    Awesome and awesome!
    EIE-Ni

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Real-life is dumb.

Cause even if relationships work in real-life, nobody is attracted to anything real lifey. I don't sit there and be all 'ooh look I'm being real world with you' if I'm into somebody, I'm more into the potential of what is happening or how I am complemented with this person, or what have you.

So I think we need to reanalyze the 'real life' approach. Real life isn't the be end to anything. Real life is real life. It's not inherently any better or worse than fantasy, idealizations or projections or 'make-believe.' Really, feces are real too. War, death, disease. They are all REAL LIFE. We don't dwell in them 24/7 tho cuz that is just insanity.

I think we're all more confident when we face certain realities we have to face, though. is that what you mean?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves
    Real-life is dumb.

Cause even if relationships work in real-life, nobody is attracted to anything real lifey. I don't sit there and be all 'ooh look I'm being real world with you' if I'm into somebody, I'm more into the potential of what is happening or how I am complemented with this person, or what have you.

So I think we need to reanalyze the 'real life' approach. Real life isn't the be end to anything. Real life is real life. It's not inherently any better or worse than fantasy, idealizations or projections or 'make-believe.' Really, feces are real too. War, death, disease. They are all REAL LIFE. We don't dwell in them 24/7 tho cuz that is just insanity.

I think we're all more confident when we face certain realities we have to face, though. is that what you mean?
    I'm talking about real-life situations that help illuminate socionics (and situations where socionics helps illuminate real-life).

Fantasy, idealizations, projections, and make-believe are all bound by the framework of real-life. Taking the fantastical as your starting point without reference to everyday life is the act of a coward, a pathetic retreat from the world and from yourself. The mind is an exciting labyrinth, but as soon as it ceases to be anchored to real life, it dissolves into the abyss of meaninglessness. That's the tragedy of materialism. Some people would flip this argument on its head and argue that real life is an even more dangerous form of escapism, a retreat from the self, but you can't escape the fact that the self is irreversibly etched into the infinite material of real life. And if you try to study socionics without reference to real life, you will create nothing more than a highly systematized and internally coherent insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Huginn
    I'm interested in this. Can I submit articles that I also host on my own website?
    Absolutely.
    EIE-Ni

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This could be a great idea if there is someone in charge who is dedicated to it.

Here is what we were thinking last year at Wikisocion. People could continue to write stuff on their personal wiki space, and every month we would collect "submissions" for a "magazine" on the site that would contain a list and summary of the articles for that month. The hope was that this would stimulate some more original article creation. Likewise, if there were any new translations or good articles written, they could be included in the magazine along with people's individual articles.

I think it would have worked well and required fairly minimal organizational effort, but now that the wiki has been hacked it may take a while to get back to this idea, if ever.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.