Thread: Jesse Metcalfe

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jesse Metcalfe

I watched this guy in a movie earlier...

I'm curious as to what you guys think...

Operating under the premise that this guy is ENFj... (For proof of ENFj, listen to how emphatically he talks and gestures about his thong... Note the typical ENFj 'gleaming' smile and laugh, which appear often throughout these interviews... And the "I was kind of a loner in high school" statement, which I've come to realize is typical of ENFjs...)

So... Operating under the premise that this actor is ENFj... I'm wondering which subtype you think he is..? Fe or Ni..? I am very interested.

If you have any reasons as to why you think one or the other, I'm especially interested. Thank you

Which subtype?? Fe or Ni?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking Fe subtype.

And the "I was kind of a loner in high school" statement, which I've come to realize is typical of ENFjs...
    I'm curious what makes you say this. Obviously there are some EIEs who are loners -- as with every other type -- but saying that representatives of a Fe dominant type like EIE are typically loners in high school is a pretty big statement. Care to explain?
    Last edited by nilv; 02-15-2010 at 06:50 AM.
    EIE-Ni

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nilv View Post
    I'm curious what makes you say this. Obviously there are some EIEs who are loners -- as with every other type -- but saying that representatives of a Fe dominant type like EIE are typically loners in high school is a pretty big statement. Care to explain?
    It's anecdotal, both with people I've met and celebrities I've tried to type... What's compelling to me is that I've heard it so many times now, (especially from EIE males,) that I've come to think it's not coincidental.

I haven't heard it nearly as much from EIE females... Honestly, I'm having difficulty remembering if I've ever heard it from an EIE female... I'll write more about male vs. female EIE below.

Regardless, I agree 100% with the premise of your post -- the notion of an EIE "loner" seems counter-intuitive. Extroverted Feeling is, by definition, directed outwardly toward people... And it's true that many examples of this type are people-persons, effusive, and centers of attention; for example, Oprah Winfrey.

To exemplify the "loner" trend among male EIEs... I recall in biographies about Adolph Hitler, Freddie Mercury, and John Lennon--a few likely EIEs, imo--references to dramatically different public and private 'faces.' In public, all of them were able to captivate large crowds en masse; in private, they were all described as being "loners," relatively shy (albeit prickly...) I've never met any of these people personally; however, people who did went out of their ways to comment on this aspect of their personalities.

Some male EIEs I know personally have also expressed this--that is, shy in private... Including me.

I'm not 100% sure, or even 50% sure as to why this is... This is my hunch though...

From what I've noticed, it seems socially acceptable--and even admirable--for females to effusively express Fe, (at least in the society in which I grew up--New England, New York, and California mostly, during the 80s til now.)

Male Fe--expressed effusively--I think, is devalued, and even discouraged, particularly during high school... I think that many perceive it as the opposite of masculine... Maybe even as weakness.

If high school is a time when, traditionally, boys become men and girls become women... To me, it follows that in high school, an EIE guy--probably already struggling with identity--would want to stifle Fe... So as not to appear feminine.

Personally, I was wary of expressing too much Fe during high school... To act "manly" and not "girly..." Guys who acted "girly" were made fun of and didn't have girlfriends... Idk, I didn't want to be made fun of, and I wanted to have a girlfriend...

I think a lot of complexes can arise from stifling ego functions... "I'm different; no one understands me"... I've felt like that at times.

In any case, this is where the "quiet, loner" male EIE develops, I think -- and I really do think it happens to a lot of male EIEs... Based on my own experience, and what I've read and heard anecdotally.

Does this make sense, or align with anyone else's experience?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, this matches up with my experience. I know I used to repress my Fe, and I've come across as very "introverted" at different points in my life. Take what you said about gender roles and add to that the fact that EIEs can be hyper-sensitive of people's reactions towards them (plus, they're negativists and can develop obsessive tendencies), and it's actually no surprise that a lot of male EIEs don't easily develop the confidence necessary to realize their ego functions.
    EIE-Ni

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a great post, nilv... I hadn't thought of the negativist aspect... As to obsessive, I was diagnosed as OCD at university... (Honestly, the way it was done was a doctor gave me a 10 question questionairre... lol... not a particularly thorough analysis.) But in retrospect, I think I was just EIE lol

In any case, what you wrote, nilv, lines up with my experience -- and from what I've heard from other EIEs, many of theirs too.

Also, I wanted to tell you that I think you're right about Metcalfe being Fe-ENFj... I posted this topic because when I saw the movie, (w/ Michael Douglas,) several of my friends started saying "that guy looks and talks exactly like you..." They thought he was definitely the exact same personality type as me... They all agreed, "definitely."

I didn't see it at first, but the more I watched of him, I knew they were right.

What's interesting to me is that Fe subtype ENFj manifests in Metcalfe's personality, and also in someone as bubbly as Oprah, or Valerie Bertinelli... Or to cite one of the (very few) bubbly male examples I can think of, Magic Johnson... To me, Metcalfe comes across dramatically different than them--less effusive.

Does anyone else see this as well..? I'm interested in how this guy comes across primarily for self-interested reasons, I admit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omg please don't let him be my dual.

I guess Fe subtype.

I don't think he was a loner at high school. I reckon he said that to appeal to the general audience, just like the rest of what he said.