Thread: Types and environments that attract them

Creepy-Cyclops

Default Types and environments that attract them

OK, this isn't entirely rocket science, but as I am sort of bored I thought i'd post it.

As I understand the theory, we can't really create our DS functions ourselves with any great success, however it is an important part of who we are and as we "like" it, we tend to find ourselves influenced by it and attracted to it.

So with that in mind, we can sort of look at the types and see what sort of activities or environments that they find themselves attracted to - even on a more 'subconcious' level.

INTj's & ISTj's - attracted to happy, cheerful and exciting places (Fe DS)
    INTp's & INFp's - attracted to power driven, sometimes risky or even dangerous environments/activities (Se DS)
    ISTp's & ISFp's - attracted to unique or unusual people, places or novel ideas (which might explain how some of the type descriptions describe ISTp's for instance as having a love for travel and culture - it's different ways of looking at similar things (Ne DS)
    INFj's & ISTj's - attracted to efficient and fact driven environments and people (Te DS)
    ESTp's & ESFp's - (Ni DS)
    ESTj's & ENTj's - attracted to compassionate and humanitarian endeavours (Fi DS)
    ESFj's & ENFj's - (Ti DS)
    ENFp's & ENTp's - attracted to environments or things which enable them to experience some "time out" and peace of mind - (Si DS)

OK, I realise these aren't fully fleshed out, and some of them are blank, but I thought it would be interesting if anyone wants to add/or amend to them.

It also occured to me that ISTj's may seek for instance a somewhat different environment than INTj's due to the affect of the overall valued functions (ie one seeks Si and other seeks Ni), but I think that it's still reasonable to classify them in one grouping, as in this example, Fe environments are still Fe.

But perhaps people might want to seperate it into the 16 types rather than the 8.

FWIW I think that the first two, INTj and INTp (although not exclusively) seem fairly accurate, others could probably be elaborated on.

It might also be useful to people just now or in the future who are looking to determine their type. Knowing the sort of things/environment they ideally like or are attracted to could help as a further piece of info if they are trying to decide their type in general or perhaps more appropriately between just a few (2 or maybe more) types.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seems not right to me...

For example, a stereotypical ILE walks down the street, he sees 2 buildings, one is museum of astronomy, the other is a shop for interior house decoration. To which will he be drawn?

The museum of astronomy. He will choose whatever provides most input for his leading function Ne.

Dual seeking is rather about seeking help:

People are most comfortable in environments that suit their leading function. But seek help from their dual to cope with the other environments.
    Last edited by Jarno; 02-09-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Maybe the word environment is not really well defined here?

For example, a stereotypical ILE walks down the street, he sees 2 buildings, one is museum of astronomy, the other is a shop for interior house decoration. To which will he be drawn?

He will choose whatever tickles his leading function most.

It are persons who he can be attracted to regarding his dual seeking function, not environments.
    Well, i'm thinking about environment in terms of where we'd prefer to spend our time, what we'd ideally like, which for most people involves hobbies or ideal job situation.

Some people are drawn to some things more than others, for instance, over time, ime one can see an INTj even trying to "manipulate" where they are forced to spend their time into a happy cheerful environment, ie the place where they manage, they would say, it is a fun place to work. And to counter that, most ISTp's aren't really interested in wearing silly hats because it's "wear hats at work today and we'll laugh", as perhaps a crude yet maybe telling example.

I could elaborate with forum members maybe, but hopefully i'm not just talking crap overall.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't get that much into cheerful stuff. Now an academic environment, that's something I could appreciate.

One of my regrets is that I've not been able to attend a university school campus, because I very much like the campus atmosphere.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ti-DS types seek well-run, goal oriented environments.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DS doesn't determine what environments we're drawn to. It determines what's missing in our life. The thing we overlooked and which we would have never discovered if not for our dual. People may spend some amount of energy on DS related things, but it requires far too much to make it an emphasis without our dual. Environments that attract us are most related to our base function.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    DS doesn't determine what environments we're drawn to. It determines what's missing in our life. The thing we overlooked and which we would have never discovered if not for our dual. People may spend some amount of energy on DS related things, but it requires far too much to make it an emphasis without our dual. Environments that attract us are most related to our base function.
    This. I wouldn't even know that what I really wanted was a happy and comfortable atmosphere, if not for studying socionics. I would have just assumed that all I really need are my books and the Internet.

The Super-Id functions are important, but we're not really consciously aware of their needs all the time, unlike the Ego functions.

However, if you called this list "Types and the environments that they subconsciously need to be happy," I would have no objections.
    Quaero Veritas.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    Agreed, imo Ego always comes first.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    This. I wouldn't even know that what I really wanted was a happy and comfortable atmosphere, if not for studying socionics. I would have just assumed that all I really need are my books and the Internet.

The Super-Id functions are important, but we're not really consciously aware of their needs all the time, unlike the Ego functions.

However, if you called this list "Types and the environments that they subconsciously need to be happy," I would have no objections.
    Perhaps I should have rephrased the list. Albeit, I think that quadra groupings are something we are attracted to, it is just that within that list, those four types have their own speciality as to what they want.

And I think it goes to what we're subconciously atttracted to. Could be wrong Krig, but I think within your posts, you seem to portray, " happy, cheerful", even if it's not your forte to create it.

For myself, I can find myself temporarily sucked into new ways of thinking, for instance I found Maritsa's ideas interesting, albeit that it went wrong eventually.

I have enjoyed working at university (where I work) because there is an "Ne" environment, but of course, when I work there, I apply my the functions that i'm good at to the job, but I enjoy the exchange of novel ideas and people over a harshly "this is how we do it and the end" environment, which I find Ne PoLR's create, and am happy in the environment i'm in, perhaps suprisingly given who I am.

DS functions, I don't place importance on them in terms of who we are, but, given that we are supposed to be attracted to our dual, and of course semi-dual (the DS function), the attraction to the environment, situation or person, exists in some fashions I think, which is why I put in the "subconcious" phrase - I don't think we're immediately (or perhaps ever unless we know socionics) aware of it.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Perhaps I should have rephrased the list. Albeit, I think that quadra groupings are something we are attracted to, it is just that within that list, those four types have their own speciality as to what they want.

And I think it goes to what we're subconciously atttracted to. Could be wrong Krig, but I think within your posts, you seem to portray, " happy, cheerful", even if it's not your forte to create it.
    w00t! Super-Id compliment! The best kind of compliment.

I agree that people do tend to gravitate toward environments which are supportive of their Super-Id, but especially with people not so socionically enlightened as we (), it's more of a subconscious thing -- they don't quite understand why it is that this environment that they've accidentally stumbled into makes them happy, all they know is that they like it.

I suppose that's part of the dualization and/or self-growth process: figuring out what your Super-Id wants (though of course most people wouldn't call it that). Some people become aware of it early on, others never do.

On the other hand, I would say that most people are aware of their Ego preferences, and actively and deliberately seek out environments supportive of them.
    Quaero Veritas.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may be correct, but one thing that is true, and subjective in my case, is that I seek all of those things. (except the Fe environment)

I think Se DS can be expressed better by saying what my type really needs and can't do enough for itself. It is not enough to say that all Se DSs are attracted to power driven, sometimes risky or even dangerous environments/activities.

Duality isn't really manifested as a form of primary attraction anyway. Having this type of mindset is harmful to one's understanding of their type in my opinion. Duality is based on optimal relations via successful weakness enhancement, and becomes a more enriching relationship as it develops. Dual-seeking is kind of a wishy-washy idealistic term.

I might post a thread with my viewpoint on this soon.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclops, your list is really interesting!

I am almost sure I am ENTp, but I also see myself as INTj. I prefer cheerful environments rather than quiet (slow, boring, heh) places, BTW ??????
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Cyclops, your list is really interesting!

I am almost sure I am ENTp, but I also see myself as INTj. I prefer cheerful environments rather than quiet (slow, boring, heh) places, BTW ??????
    Because you're a latino and get subprime mortgages
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love loud music and bad weather, people who are physically laid-back but emotionally intense, with little to no self-restrictions and a keen eye for relevancy. i also need a lot of alone time or i'll separate from myself to get some space.

i.e., your descriptions are too general and they confuse me.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this makes me sound ISTp/ISFp.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Because you're a latino and get subprime mortgages
    BTW...LOL

Some of my DNA comes from here:

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    You sound, look and smell ISTp/ISFp
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy, cheerful, and exciting is not really encompassing of Fe DS; if anything it's more Alpha than Beta. I would say that LSIs look for people who project purposefulness and a sense of urgency for what they do with themselves. They probably do need liveliness in general, just to discharge pent-up emotion and "feel alive," but LSIs are looking for a voice, not a cheerleader.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    Funny, you couldn't stand to be around the weirdest person I know for 2 minutes

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    INTp's & INFp's - attracted to power driven, sometimes risky or even dangerous environments/activities (Se DS)
    I don't know. "Power driven" sounds more aristocratic to me, and I'm not sure how much risk/danger factors in (maybe more instinct-related). Overall, I seek out structured environments – in the sense of, all people present having a specific value – with a clear purpose, and little rules on interaction, other than an intuitive, moment-to-moment direction.
    Last edited by strrrng; 02-10-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Happy, cheerful, and exciting is not really encompassing of Fe DS; if anything it's more Alpha than Beta. I would say that LSIs look for people who project purposefulness and a sense of urgency for what they do with themselves. They probably do need liveliness in general, just to discharge pent-up emotion and "feel alive," but LSIs are looking for a voice, not a cheerleader.
    Agreed. It's the difference between -Fe and +Fe (or Fe blocked with Si and Fe blocked with Ni, if you prefer).
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Funny, you couldn't stand to be around the weirdest person I know for 2 minutes
    that's b/c that dude is a jackass. anyhow wanting novelty doesn't mean that you have to like all the novelty you get into, yes?
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    that's b/c that dude is a jackass.
    A hilarious one, nonetheless.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Overall, I seek out structured environments – in the sense of, all people present having a specific value – with a clear purpose, and little rules on interaction, other than an intuitive, moment-to-moment direction.
    . This is the entire reason I do plays. I think all stage managers are LSIs (seriously, every last one), and all directors should be SLE (although many are not). I love to watch things come together.

I intended to post in this thread before and I don't think I did. Anyway, I disagree with the whole risky or dangerous bit, in the sense that those words are commonly thought of. I am interested in situations where there is something wanted very badly, where there are people capable of achieving that goal, and that goal is relatively difficult to attain. Especially if I can help in achieving that goal. That's Se dualseeking to me: seeking areas in which a lot of "volitional pressure" (which is as precise a phrase as we can get, I'm afraid) is required (to achieve the desired goal) and a lot of "volitional pressure" is exerted.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    . This is the entire reason I do plays. I think all stage managers are LSIs (seriously, every last one), and all directors should be SLE (although many are not). I love to watch things come together.
    LSE has been called "the director." The theatre was run by an LSE, then his IEE daughter took over. She was assisted by a LIE and an ESI. I've never seen an LSI involved. The SLE involved is an actor.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    LSE has been called "the director." The theatre was run by an LSE, then his IEE daughter took over. She was assisted by a LIE and an ESI. I've never seen an LSI involved. The SLE involved is an actor.
    I had an ESTp director once who would make anyone who forgot a line or made a mistake smell a bowl of smelly cheese. It was disgusting.

Things barely came together and the show almost didn't happen, because of chaos and lack of focus. (Not saying ALL ESTps don't direct well, but this one didn't).

Most actors are sensitive, so it's gotta be someone who can be sensitive and get the best out of people while also getting the show on the road, whoever can do that. Unsure it's type related.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    LSE is the director, SLE is the commander. I don't believe that either title was originally meant to apply to theater, but you can see how both can be applied to the job of theater direction. Also, I don't think I would enjoy working for an LSE director very much. I mean, I might, type isn't everything, but I'd imagine that an LSE approach would be so very different from my standard approach, even moreso than an IEE approach (I've worked with delta NFs before). At least they understand me and consider it insignificant. That's better than not understanding me at all, and me not understanding them.

And of course not all stage managers are LSI. But you have to admit, it makes sense. Stage managers have to be very conscious of how complex pieces of an extraordinarily complex system work (Ti), and when push comes to shove, they have to be able to simply make it happen by sheer force of will (Se). Heck, even the "inspector" bit fits my idea of a stage manager, who, while they don't have to decide what people ought to do, they make absolutely sure that those people are doing what they've been told to do, or what they need to do to get the job done.
    I had an ESTp director once who would make anyone who forgot a line or made a mistake smell a bowl of smelly cheese. It was disgusting.
    lol. That's really funny. That's also not much of a punishment... was it not a joke among the cast? Anyway, Jerry Robbins once smeared lipstick across the dressing room mirror of a girl who forgot to take something offstage to write the words "Remember the X, you bitch" or something like that. Not saying he's SLE, but that's something one could associate with an SLE, and JR was a great (legendary) director. Agreed that being a director, like anything, takes a certain skill set, but once a director knows how to direct, I feel like an SLE would be more of a keep-focused, keep-on-task, make-it-happen sort of director than most other types.
    Last edited by silverchris9; 02-11-2010 at 04:07 AM.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.