Thread: compliments on your 1st function

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default compliments on your 1st function

How do you feel when people compliment your 1st function?

Do people ever compliment your 6th function? If so, how does that feel different from compliments about your 1st function?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Joy you are not a SLE. *sigh*

I feel really neutral when somebody compliments my Ni, because it's like I know I'm good at it. I don't really need for it to be re-inforced, so it can seem condescending. If anything, I want somebody to compliment my dual-seeking function or my 8th function (forgot the name).

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compliments to the:

Ego Functions: "Yeah, I'm pretty badass." (Pride)
    Super-Ego Functions: "Really? Cool! I pulled it off this time." (Relief, doubt about future performance.)
    Super-Id Functions: "Really? Awesome! But I don't know if I believe you." (Excitement followed by uncertainty)
    Id Functions: "Yeah, I guess I'm pretty good at that. But pease don't make me do it again." (Pride, dread of boredom)

Of course, those are just the things I think in my head. I'm never sure of the polite way to actually respond to compliments. Stupid Role Fi.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to know what a compliment to your first function would be exactly.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think that compliments on your superid functions would be the most rewarding, and would probably stay with you. Any compliments on your superego you would probably forget immediately or not really care.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compliments to my first function I don't notice because I don't feel like I did anything to deserve a compliment. I've noticed that with other people too.
    IEE

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    You're LIE, right?

"Dude, that was very efficiently done. Good job!"

Or, since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery:

"I'm trying to be productive and efficient just like Azeroffs!"

In my case, (LII) it would be more like: "Dude, that was a very logical and impartial conclusion. Well done!" or "I'm trying to be logical and impartial, just like Krig!"
    Quaero Veritas.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Compliments to the:

Super-Ego Functions: "Really? Cool! I pulled it off this time." (Relief, doubt about future performance.)
    Super-Id Functions: "Really? Awesome! But I don't know if I believe you." (Excitement followed by uncertainty)
    Id Functions: "Yeah, I guess I'm pretty good at that. But pease don't make me do it again." (Pride, dread of boredom)

Of course, those are just the things I think in my head. I'm never sure of the polite way to actually respond to compliments. Stupid Role Fi.
    lol. pretty accurate

Creepy-male

In my case, (LII) it would be more like: "Dude, that was a very logical and impartial conclusion. Well done!" or "I'm trying to be logical and impartial, just like the Krig!"
    Have a bit of self-worth man. You're not just Krig, you're the Krig.

Which block did that compliment land in?

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're LIE, right?

"Dude, that was very efficiently done. Good job!"

Or, since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery:

"I'm trying to be productive and efficient just like Azeroffs!"

In my case, (LII) it would be more like: "Dude, that was a very logical and impartial conclusion. Well done!" or "I'm trying to be logical and impartial, just like Krig!"
    Lol, I might just laugh or not care. I usually get told "you did it so fast" and I just kinda shrug "yeah whatever" or "next?" Usually when someone says I did something so fast, I start to think "great, they probably think I missed something" and/or "Shit, did I miss something?" and/or "Damn it, they're going to make me go back and do it better."

Si-PoLR coming out?

If I was told the last two compliments, I'd probably laugh and be mildly complimented. Actually, I just laugh whenever I get complimented, but with the first two, I wouldn't even take it like a compliment. I'd laugh because I would think it was mostly meaningless.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post

That's not a compliment, it's just a feel-good statement.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    That's not a compliment, it's just a feel-good statement.
    A very subtle difference that you've very neatly clarified

Ok, how did that feel?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think having your ego functions complimented gives you a sense of pride, satisfaction, and self-realization. You feel like people understand you and have a good idea of what kind of person you are.

Compliments to the super-ego are more complicated. Actually, I can't remember a specific time I've been complimented on my super-ego functions This could be because people are more likely to interpret comments relating to their super-ego as criticism (or back-handed compliments at best), even if they're intended as genuine compliments. Then again, I'm sure there are cases were it would feel very empowering to have someone compliment your weakest and most vulnerable area.

Compliments directed at super-id functions are very energizing and exciting, for obvious reasons.

Our reaction to id functions is probably the most subtle. I think a lot of people might reinterpret comments to id functions in terms of their ego functions, since the two deal with similar aspects of reality. We might also react by acting happy but being a little insulted "umm, nice of you to compliment me, but out of all the awesome things I can do, you choose to compliment this trivial and insignificant side of me?" -- or even patronized or misunderstood.

FWIW, types from opposing quadras would be more likely to compliment our super-ego and id functions, while types from our own quadra would compliment our ego and super-id functions, leading to a sense of acceptance.
    EIE-Ni

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I receive a compliment related to my role I'm at first happy/shocked, then suspicious, then think to myself that I should address that aspect of my life more lol.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post

Haha, right square in the Ego! (haha, get it? As in "he sure has a big Ego"? Eh?)

Lol, I might just laugh or not care. I usually get told "you did it so fast" and I just kinda shrug "yeah whatever" or "next?" Usually when someone says I did something so fast, I start to think "great, they probably think I missed something" and/or "Shit, did I miss something?" and/or "Damn it, they're going to make me go back and do it better."

Si-PoLR coming out?

If I was told the last two compliments, I'd probably laugh and be mildly complimented. Actually, I just laugh whenever I get complimented, but with the first two, I wouldn't even take it like a compliment. I'd laugh because I would think it was mostly meaningless.
    Hmm. And you're sure you're Te-valuing?

Quote Originally Posted by nilv View Post
    I think having your ego functions complimented gives you a sense of pride, satisfaction, and self-realization. You feel like people understand you and have a good idea of what kind of person you are.

Compliments to the super-ego are more complicated. Actually, I can't remember a specific time I've been complimented on my super-ego functions This could be because people are more likely to interpret comments relating to their super-ego as criticism (or back-handed compliments at best), even if they're intended as genuine compliments. Then again, I'm sure there are cases were it would feel very empowering to have someone compliment your weakest and most vulnerable area.

Compliments directed at super-id functions are very energizing and exciting, for obvious reasons.

Our reaction to id functions is probably the most subtle. I think a lot of people might reinterpret comments to id functions in terms of their ego functions, since the two deal with similar aspects of reality. We might also react by acting happy but being a little insulted "umm, nice of you to compliment me, but out of all the awesome things I can do, you choose to compliment this trivial and insignificant side of me?" -- or even patronized or misunderstood.

FWIW, types from opposing quadras would be more likely to compliment our super-ego and id functions, while types from our own quadra would compliment our ego and super-id functions, leading to a sense of acceptance.
    I agree with all of this, and especially the bolded parts.

I thought of another possible reaction to Super-Ego compliments: "Uh, great, but you've kind of missed the point." (Confusion and mild disappointment)

I'm surrounded by Deltas where I live, and I've always received compliments related to my Fi: "You're such a well-behaved young man," "You're so polite," "Krig is a really nice guy," etc. To which I instinctively internally respond: "Wow, this person really doesn't know me at all. I would much rather be known as a brilliant analytical genius! No-one understands me! Oh, the angst of it all!"

But then I realize how silly that is, and try to take the compliment in the spirit it was intended.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read that you take your nr1 function for granted and don't feel complimented.
    Though you are very proud of your nr2 function.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking
    I thought of another possible reaction to Super-Ego compliments: "Uh, great, but you've kind of missed the point." (Confusion and mild disappointment)
    Yeah, maybe super-ego and id compliments share this quality, since they're both compliments to our undervalued areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking
    I'm surrounded by Deltas where I live, and I've always received compliments related to my Fi: "You're such a well-behaved young man," "You're so polite," "Krig is a really nice guy," etc. To which I instinctively internally respond: "Wow, this person really doesn't know me at all. I would much rather be known as a brilliant analytical genius! No-one understands me! Oh, the angst of it all!"
    That's how I'd feel to, minus the analytical genius part! Not that I get called those things very often, but if I did I would probably feel "omg, they think I'm boring!" Not to mention that calling someone "nice" can be a really mean compliment. "What d'you think of Bob?" "He's nice" (*shrug*)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    I've read that you take your nr1 function for granted and don't feel complimented.
    Though you are very proud of your nr2 function.
    Really?? I'd say it's the other way around if anything. Then again, I could be IEI.
    EIE-Ni

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compliments to the:

IEE-Ne

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. And you're sure you're Te-valuing?
    based on that, maybe not
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

based on that, maybe not
    For what it's worth, I've always thought you seemed more Ti than Te. Just an impression, though.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I agree with Krig.

An LSE said I was the only one around she'd trust with some detailed paperwork at VBS. That was a compliment of my .

I more often get my complimented with a side of .

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nilv View Post

I think a compliment to your first function is usually something you already know you're good at, but you're glad when people pick up on your strength and accept you because of it.
    Stan is not my real name.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    I distrust direct compliments and usually feel embarrassed by them, I feel like "ok, and now what?...".
    I feel like that sometimes too, but it's mostly out of desire to not feel conceited. I usually try to compliment the complimenter back if I can.

But I take as a compliment and I'm very happy about remarks like this: "Haha! See? I could figure it out myself this time." or "This time you couldn't figure it out without my help." Seems to be related to Ne, afaict.
    How is this Ne related?

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request
    Last edited by Pied Piper; 02-05-2010 at 01:40 AM.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth, I've always thought you seemed more Ti than Te. Just an impression, though.
    yeah idk, I was just talking to mnogood(vero now) about me possibly being LII.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I take as a compliment and I'm very happy about remarks like this: "Haha! See? I could figure it out myself this time." or "This time you couldn't figure it out without my help." Seems to be related to Ne, afaict.
    Overcoming obstacles without help seems related to Se if anything...

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I do get complimented on my ability to help people figure out how to do something or what to do. Like I when I can help create a class schedule or what they should do in a relationship or when I can help fix something. I'm mildly complimented by this, but I do think of it as something a bit too simple to really deserve compliment. It's the actual physically doing something part where I get skeptical of compliments.
    Last edited by Azeroffs; 02-05-2010 at 08:07 PM.
    3w4-5w6-9w8