Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: IEE's and babies

  1. #1
    bobbybeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    socal.
    TIM
    IEE 7w6 sx/sp
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default IEE's and babies

    so, i am in a child psych class and lately the thought of babies has been on my mind whether i like it or not...for obvious reasons of course.

    i have concluded for quite sometime that i do not want kids despite all of the things that one gets from having them (emotional, keep the blood line going, and so on)

    some reasons:
    i can't stay committed to anything for that long, i am all over the place in thoughts/emotions, i am inconsistent/hypocritical, i could not keep a consistent job especially when i hate it (it would kill me if i did it), and i look to the future and feel that what the "future holds" would not be a great place to raise a kid in....also, i would have to make the baby my whole life...perfectionistic (and this is an ideal, not usually an actual reality for most mothers)

    i feel like this might be somewhat type related....yes/no, any thoughts?
    ENFp. yay!

  2. #2
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,449
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's probably more of an age-related issue than anything else. I personally don't want to think about kids because I'm far too young for that.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

    http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Don't know if it's type related or not. Myself, I don't really plan for those girly things. The thought of having a baby terrifies me... And it's not like I don't know how to take care of one - I've been around kids my entire life, and I've babysat plenty. In fact, that might be why I'm not all goopy about them.

    But that being said, if I wound up pregnant, I'd keep the baby, and I'm sure I'd love it quite a lot.

    I feel alienated from the female race at the moment because all my friends are obsessing over our group's first baby - it's all they talk about... Seriously, they're all planning to have them at the same time so they can all play together, and they're slowly coercing the non-conformers (i.e. reluctant husbands) into it as well... It's weird, and it creeps me out.

    I think all this just depends on the person, though.
    IEE

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah I used to be freaked out at the idea, and am still not really to give up my freedom and settle down yet.

    But I think I've accepted that I would never do it the way an ISTj or ISFj would. Things will not be color coded. Some things I would need help with, and other things could prob be made easier by setting up a faster system or something to keep track of things like appointments or food, etc. I wouldn't want to do things really slowly and waste the whole day, etc. I've seen some girls who seem to spend two hours just making a sandwich.

    As long as I get myself into a good financial situation by then I think it'd be fine, as I could pay someone to help w/ things I suck at (like I might be really bad at helping w/ homework for instance, in subjects I was bad in during school! lol). Or, if you have a husband who is good at things you're bad at, that'd help.

    But I think that your love for the child would overcome a lot, and even things you might not naturally be as good at, you'd probably suck up w/o even thinking about it for the child's benefit, and feel good about that. Just like when you do something out of the ordinary for a friend to help out and don't mind it, even though it might not be your favorite activity (us IEEs are good at things like that I'd say, and we do things we want to do well).

    I mean, all types have limitations. Other types might not be as good w/ kids as far as understanding their emotions or seeing possibilities for the kid and encouraging them to explore, etc. So we all would have our positive and negative aspects with kids.

    Tinydancer, and yes that's scary when girls get like that. It seems kinda manipulative to me, if the guys don't want kids. And seems like it would be a bad idea to force people into that...ick. Makes me wonder why they didn't just go w/ guys who were at the same point they were.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

  5. #5
    what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Space
    TIM
    Seer
    Posts
    12,811
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    not type related.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Of course some aspects aren't type related (just as in anything). But others are.

    IEEs very often like to "keep options open" because of Ne and we like to not restrict our potential. So, obviously having a child is one of the most restrictive (to Ne) things you can do to your life.

    It also opens Ne doors in other areas of course. But it can also lead to obligations, a more regimented schedule, etc.which IEEs often do not prefer naturally.

    Of course, other things like how maternal or loving you are aren't type related of course.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

  7. #7
    bobbybeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    socal.
    TIM
    IEE 7w6 sx/sp
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    The thought of having a baby terrifies me... And it's not like I don't know how to take care of one - I've been around kids my entire life, and I've babysat plenty. In fact, that might be why I'm not all goopy about them.

    But that being said, if I wound up pregnant, I'd keep the baby, and I'm sure I'd love it quite a lot.

    I feel alienated from the female race at the moment because all my friends are obsessing over our group's first baby - it's all they talk about... Seriously, they're all planning to have them at the same time so they can all play together, and they're slowly coercing the non-conformers (i.e. reluctant husbands) into it as well... It's weird, and it creeps me out.

    I think all this just depends on the person, though.
    ah! me too! it's like, i feel bad for not wanting a baby since so many people consider them to be so precious. if my friends/girls at school/work don't have one already, they want one badly or in the near future.

    i wonder if most people actually think about all of the possibilities before having a child, you know?
    like for starters, you make them or break them.

    i don't hate kids or anything, but i just don't know how women can talk about kids as much as they do. kids are just not that interesting to me, i mean, unless i am studying them, noting if there are any signs that could possibly link them to socionics in anyway (gradual obsession?)

    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Of course some aspects aren't type related (just as in anything). But others are.

    IEEs very often like to "keep options open" because of Ne and we like to not restrict our potential. So, obviously having a child is one of the most restrictive (to Ne) things you can do to your life.

    It also opens Ne doors in other areas of course. But it can also lead to obligations, a more regimented schedule, etc.which IEEs often do not prefer naturally.

    Of course, other things like how maternal or loving you are aren't type related of course.
    yes, all of these plus all of the negative possibilities that could inflict the child....and the commitment is life long-scary! i am not that reliable!
    ENFp. yay!

  8. #8
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I feel the same way...I'm 26 but i still feel too young to have babies. I'll go thru phases were it seems like a really great idea but then I start thinking how much of a commitment it is and all the other things that come along with having a kid. I don't know if i'll ever be ready and I don't know if I'll ever have one. It shouldn't be a 'sometimes i want one' sort of thing. I think I take it a lot more seriously than some women.

  9. #9
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know an IEE who wants to steal other people's babies and keep them for herself.

    I know another who isn't that into them.
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  10. #10
    bobbybeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    socal.
    TIM
    IEE 7w6 sx/sp
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I feel the same way...I'm 26 but i still feel too young to have babies. I'll go thru phases were it seems like a really great idea but then I start thinking how much of a commitment it is and all the other things that come along with having a kid. I don't know if i'll ever be ready and I don't know if I'll ever have one. It shouldn't be a 'sometimes i want one' sort of thing. I think I take it a lot more seriously than some women.
    agreed
    ENFp. yay!

  11. #11
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    heh. I wasn't into the idea of having babies/kids when I was younger, nor did I babysit much, and I'm not crazy about all children the way some women are. But I have three of my own and they're great. A lot of work at times but super interesting, there's always something new since they're growing and changing. They're people with their own opinions and questions about the world. It's actually really cool. When I had my twins I freaked out at the thought of them living with me for a full 18+ years. But they're already 10 so I'm more than half way there! lol Seriously though, kids are fun and you'll love your own even if you're not that interested in them now.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  12. #12
    what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Space
    TIM
    Seer
    Posts
    12,811
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    My IEE mom adores babies. She's said she's always wanted to have children, even from a very young age. One of the main reasons for this is so she'd have somebody to take good care of her when she grew old... lol, go figure, with the Si dual seeking and all.

    Anyway, she's always been a great loving mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

  13. #13
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    My IEE mom adores babies. She's said she's always wanted to have children, even from a very young age. One of the main reasons for this is so she'd have somebody to take good care of her when she grew old... lol, go figure, with the Si dual seeking and all.

    Anyway, she's always been a great loving mother.
    I have an IEE mom too and she's exactly the same!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  14. #14
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    heh. I wasn't into the idea of having babies/kids when I was younger, nor did I babysit much, and I'm not crazy about all children the way some women are. But I have three of my own and they're great. A lot of work at times but super interesting, there's always something new since they're growing and changing. They're people with their own opinions and questions about the world. It's actually really cool. When I had my twins I freaked out at the thought of them living with me for a full 18+ years. But they're already 10 so I'm more than half way there! lol Seriously though, kids are fun and you'll love your own even if you're not that interested in them now.
    redbaron u have twins??? i didn't know that!
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  15. #15
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    heh. I wasn't into the idea of having babies/kids when I was younger, nor did I babysit much, and I'm not crazy about all children the way some women are. But I have three of my own and they're great. A lot of work at times but super interesting, there's always something new since they're growing and changing. They're people with their own opinions and questions about the world. It's actually really cool. When I had my twins I freaked out at the thought of them living with me for a full 18+ years. But they're already 10 so I'm more than half way there! lol Seriously though, kids are fun and you'll love your own even if you're not that interested in them now.
    That's cool.

    I guess when it all comes down to it, nobody is ever really completely READY for a kid...no matter the amount of preparation that goes into it beforehand. I'm too selfish at the moment for one though. The discussion of trying for one has come up recently but I just can't do it. I think sometimes I could but...no. It's terrifying. The thought of something going wrong with the pregnancy or being a horrible mom or not knowing for sure if the person i'm with is the ideal person to have a kid with, etc.. too stressful. I really want to wait until i'm in my early thirties.

  16. #16
    07490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    there
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    When I had my twins I freaked out at the thought of them living with me for a full 18+ years. But they're already 10 so I'm more than half way there!
    Why do we have kids? the first thing comes to mind is that they will take good care of you when you are old. To have someone of your own to take care of you. I have asked a lot of people who just feel to let their kids be independent after they are matured and ready to adapt to the world. And there are others who expect their kids to be by their side as a lifelong commitment. I don't feel it's necessary to have to pass down my genes in this world. A lot of people wants to have their legacy of their genes to survive, to extend the pedigree of life; almost like a history book recording every moment down on record, but in a human situation it's your DNA that is being kept alive and pass on.

    Ultimately, as pessimistic as it sounds, I think life has more pain to endure than not, more bad than good, more suffering than happiness. I don't want to be responsible for allowing a life to have to endure it, and extending this misery onto them.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

    2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

  17. #17
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't freak out and go all gooey over other people's kids, but if the woman I was with was hardcore against having children ever, it would be a deal breaker. Maybe I don't know what I want to do with my life exactly, but being a father is wedged in there somewhere. Worrying I can understand, same with the feeling tied down and committed, but somehow I think it'll all turn out all right or something.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  18. #18
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I don't freak out and go all gooey over other people's kids, but if the woman I was with was hardcore against having children ever, it would be a deal breaker. Maybe I don't know what I want to do with my life exactly, but being a father is wedged in there somewhere. Worrying I can understand, same with the feeling tied down and committed, but somehow I think it'll all turn out all right or something.
    Ditto to all of the above (with genders changed).

    I guess the one period when I knew I couldn't handle having kids were the 13 years I was in school and in training (which I just finished). Too bad I couldn't multitask finding a soul mate either. That way we could have gotten started on the babies now.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  19. #19
    bobbybeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    socal.
    TIM
    IEE 7w6 sx/sp
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    Why do we have kids? the first thing comes to mind is that they will take good care of you when you are old. To have someone of your own to take care of you. I have asked a lot of people who just feel to let their kids be independent after they are matured and ready to adapt to the world. And there are others who expect their kids to be by their side as a lifelong commitment. I don't feel it's necessary to have to pass down my genes in this world. A lot of people wants to have their legacy of their genes to survive, to extend the pedigree of life; almost like a history book recording every moment down on record, but in a human situation it's your DNA that is being kept alive and pass on.

    Ultimately, as pessimistic as it sounds, I think life has more pain to endure than not, more bad than good, more suffering than happiness. I don't want to be responsible for allowing a life to have to endure it, and extending this misery onto them.
    yes mam! too much pain, too many people, too many problems...i can't bear to watch a child's innocence be stripped away!
    ENFp. yay!

  20. #20
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I don't freak out and go all gooey over other people's kids, but if the woman I was with was hardcore against having children ever, it would be a deal breaker. Maybe I don't know what I want to do with my life exactly, but being a father is wedged in there somewhere. Worrying I can understand, same with the feeling tied down and committed, but somehow I think it'll all turn out all right or something.
    awww, you are so SEI. (Is that you in your avatar?)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  21. #21
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    redbaron u have twins??? i didn't know that!
    yes! Twins plus one! They're within two years of each other so they play together all the time. Kinda like the three stooges.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  22. #22
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    1. I never wanted kids until I met my husband.

    BUT

    2. If my husband had told me he refused to ever have children, I wouldn't have married him. The possibility of children had to exist. If he were unable, I'd be fine with adoption, but I would not have been able to sign up for a future with no potential for children.

    That's actually related to why we had a second. I was OK with one so long as the potential to have a second was around, but as I got older and that potential was slipping away, I had to have another.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  23. #23
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    awww, you are so SEI. (Is that you in your avatar?)
    Yep, that's what happens when I get bored and have access to a digital camera.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  24. #24
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    One of the teachings of Søren Kierkegaard is that commitment is the sole thing that gives life a meaning.

    Those who refuse to take a commitment in life, such as devoting their lives to another human being, are doomed to wander aimlessly and seek superficial gratification as a mean to deal with their internal sense of emptiness.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  25. #25
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobbybeam View Post
    IEE's are babies
    Fixed.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  26. #26
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    If my husband had told me he refused to ever have children, I wouldn't have married him. The possibility of children had to exist. If he were unable, I'd be fine with adoption, but I would not have been able to sign up for a future with no potential for children.

    That's actually related to why we had a second. I was OK with one so long as the potential to have a second was around, but as I got older and that potential was slipping away, I had to have another.
    I my dual.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  27. #27
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Yep, that's what happens when I get bored and have access to a digital camera.
    you are so cute!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  28. #28
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My ENFp sister is currently on the fence about having children. She feels she's better with older kids, and I think she's concerned about being able to properly care for one. She doesn't want to close off the possibility, though, and seems to be planning so as to keep her options open.

    I have a feeling that if/when she gets married she'll have at least one kid, maybe up to three.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  29. #29
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    One of the teachings of Søren Kierkegaard is that commitment is the sole thing that gives life a meaning.

    Those who refuse to take a commitment in life, such as devoting their lives to another human being, are doomed to wander aimlessly and seek superficial gratification as a mean to deal with their internal sense of emptiness.
    To me it's the preservation of "humanity," as in way of being.

  30. #30
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    what are EIIs and babies like? ? ? ?
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    what are EIIs and babies like? ? ? ?
    I had a EII friend who was a nanny and loooved babies. But I think she was shy about dating, so hadn't gotten to a point of being able to have her own.

    I would imagine EIIs would be good at keeping the structure of the kids days together, and also giving lots of Fi and attention to the kids. I saw her w/ her "kids" once and she seemed to be able to more or less keep them in line too, while being nice about it.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •