Thread: NF discrimination in the workforce

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NF discrimination in the workforce

For the past several months I have been looking for a job related to massage therapy or receptionist positions in medical offices. I have had no luck and the only conclusion I have come to is that their are many more people out there with more experience then I possess. I have been looking for jobs that I have done in the past because everything else out there requires a degree I don't have.
    My only problem is that if you read the descriptions of the kind of person they are looking for; it all points to anyone who has either , or in their ego. Each one says they want someone who is detail oriented, a multitasker and someone who will stay on task throughout the day. None of these I possess, so it is very disheartening to read what they are looking for.
    In a couple weeks, I'm starting classes for pharmacy technician which I think I will like for a while, even though it deals with quite a bit.
    My long term goal is to be a social worker where I know my natural abilities will be appreciated.
    What's with all these careers that cater only to sensors? I'm sure any NF will agree with me that it's hard to find something that feels like you and that you will receive full benefits for just doing what you do naturally. It's so frustrating.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    For the past several months I have been looking for a job related to massage therapy or receptionist positions in medical offices. I have had no luck and the only conclusion I have come to is that their are many more people out there with more experience then I possess. I have been looking for jobs that I have done in the past because everything else out there requires a degree I don't have.
    My only problem is that if you read the descriptions of the kind of person they are looking for; it all points to anyone who has either , or in their ego. Each one says they want someone who is detail oriented, a multitasker and someone who will stay on task throughout the day. None of these I possess, so it is very disheartening to read what they are looking for.
    In a couple weeks, I'm starting classes for pharmacy technician which I think I will like for a while, even though it deals with quite a bit.
    My long term goal is to be a social worker where I know my natural abilities will be appreciated.
    What's with all these careers that cater only to sensors? I'm sure any NF will agree with me that it's hard to find something that feels like you and that you will receive full benefits for just doing what you do naturally. It's so frustrating.
    Maybe you just need a LSI boss to keep you in line, and accomodate your weaknesses.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I hear what your saying. The thing is, NFs can do that other crap, we're just not as naturally good at it as other types. So what you *could* do, is go for a job that's "whatever" as a way of getting your foot in the door. Once they get to know you and you can charm them, they'll start to cater to your natural abilities because they'll want to hold on to you. Doesn't always work out this way, but that's what happened to me right out of college. I got a temp. job as a receptionist and they promoted me to graphic designer. (actually I would have been further promoted to sales if they hadn't had to lay off a bunch of us due to the tanking economy--for some reason I really took to talking to people at the big hotel shows and everyone was surprised that I sold a lot of their product. Must've been ) Anyway, just an idea!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Yeah I hear what your saying. The thing is, NFs can do that other crap, we're just not as naturally good at it as other types. So what you *could* do, is go for a job that's "whatever" as a way of getting your foot in the door. Once they get to know you and you can charm them, they'll start to cater to your natural abilities because they'll want to hold on to you. Doesn't always work out this way, but that's what happened to me right out of college. I got a temp. job as a receptionist and they promoted me to graphic designer. (actually I would have been further promoted to sales if they hadn't had to lay off a bunch of us due to the tanking economy--for some reason I really took to talking to people at the big hotel shows and everyone was surprised that I sold a lot of their product. Must've been ) Anyway, just an idea!
    This.

When my dad was still working full time for the business he contracts with now (he owns his own business), I went to work there for a summer. And yeah, looking back, I did waste a lot of time. I couldn't focus the entire day and I sometimes didn't get all I should have done. But I provided a skill (especially verbal skill) that they needed, so they all (not just my dad) really loved me. They threw me a little mini party when I quit work to go back to school. That was cute. You do have to sort of be out of your element and fake that whole S and T thing for a while, but once you do that for a little, you'll find a job that features people skills, verbal skills, etc., the kind of stuff NFs tend to have an edge in doing. But yeah, lots of the skills NFs tend to be especially good at aren't valued as highly, on the surface. But just make sure you have the best skill set you can, and I'm sure you'll land somewhere you like. I know lots and lots of NFs who have found jobs that maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

Also, refer to any one of BnD's man-up, real-world, etc., etc., etc., rants (rants is not a pejorative term in this case, merely descriptive).
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    I hardly read what it says they are looking for, everyone writes the same old crap and there's people in the actual jobs who're nothing like what someone thought to write in an advert.

Anyway, multi-tasker, isn't that a female thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Appreciate Your Intuition!

Don't be too hard on yourself there.... I went through this whole thing several years back where I was keenly aware of the IS, ES domination of the workforce. And as an NF I began to question my talents and abilities as I was not a detail oriented, just the facts ma'm kind of a gal. What I came to realize is that in the Corporate world, those types flourish but they are generally not "big picture thinkers". So many times these types lack the strategic vision that is possessed by N's. I am very good with conceptualizing, visualizing, forecasting as well as interpersonally. I would much rather have those assets than be mired in "details". You can train yourself to be better with details and multi-tasking, but it is probably damn near impossible to train those super talented "detail" oriented people to be more strategic/long range in their scope.
    It's so easy to love me! I'm an IEE!!

4w3

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not like you really have to satisfy the bullshit-prerequisites they talk about when they write job offers. It's always the same shit. Just go to a good number of interviews without caring strictly about the requirements.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, they all say that, which from a socionics perspective is pretty hilarious because they're asking for all-encompassing brilliance. Usually the managers themselves don't remotely make their own grade.
    IEE

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It's not like you really have to satisfy the bullshit-prerequisites they talk about when they write job offers. It's always the same shit. Just go to a good number of interviews without caring strictly about the requirements.
    I generally don't care about the requirements; the problem occurs when I actually start the job. I have lost a couple because of my inability to multitask, or work fast enough. Otherwise, I wouldn't have started this thread. I wouldn't have anything to complain about.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social worker is a GREAT idea.

Have you thought about journalism..? Education isn't that important in getting in--it's helpful, but when it comes down to it, they're just looking for people who can present stories in an interesting way.

There are three EIE reporters working at station I'm with now... A few cameramen, and the news director, are LSI... It's actually fun, and doesn't feel like drudgery, (like, for example, working at my Dad's bank did.) Actually, almost every job I've had before this felt kinda like prison. 8 hrs of daily prison.

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    Social worker is a GREAT idea.

Have you thought about journalism..? Education isn't that important in getting in--it's helpful, but when it comes down to it, they're just looking for people who can present stories in an interesting way.

There are three EIE reporters working at station I'm with now... A few cameramen, and the news director, are LSI... It's actually fun, and doesn't feel like drudgery, (like, for example, working at my Dad's bank did.) Actually, almost every job I've had before this felt kinda like prison. 8 hrs of daily prison.
    It certainly isn't a bad idea; I just think that overall I would like to work with people that are oppressed in some way, because I can relate; not necessarily from my own experiences, but my mom inspires me to want to help the less fortunate.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Dude i feel your.pain. i'm a pretty good multitasker but a chaotic one with an intuitive method of handling things. i think sps and sjs are better at managing their image in the workplace whereas were better at genuinely meaning well. i want to be a social worker too. i worked for corporation and.i felt like sjit about the hard plastics we were importing from chinese factories where they cant see the sun due to polution and where they are enslaved politically. my boss just cared about image and money and i had too much soul. i think were invaluable.in non profit where sps and sjs might be horribly insensitive and ineffective in those jobs. good luck in carving out your niche.lefty enfj 4w5.