Thread: Help with an assignment

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help with an assignment

I've given up on this project as it seems impossible.
    Last edited by Bardia; 01-27-2010 at 05:27 PM.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy Crap. You're in my class?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Holy Crap. You're in my class?
    Not likely if you are in CA as your information under your avatar indicates. Do you have a similar assignment then I assume?
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
    Not likely if you are in CA as your information under your avatar indicates. Do you have a similar assignment then I assume?
    No, sorry. My assignment is dissimilar.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    No, sorry. My assignment is dissimilar.
    Thanks for your helpful information.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am taking a course called Psychological Assessment and one of the things we have to do is create a construct (or using an existing one) and develop a scale to measure it. I decided I wanted to try to create a scale to measure Fe valuing vs Fi valuing. I realized though that this would not go well with my prof so I've kind of narrowed it down to how Fe valuing and Fi valuing plays out in relationships/group settings. The construct is called "Relationship Orientation".

So here are the questions I have come up with. I was hoping maybe you guys could help me refine questions, throw out questions, or give me new questions. The test uses a 6 point scale ranging from strongly agree to strongly disagree. I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out which questions refer to which Feeling function. Some people might strongly disagree with some of these but don't get your panties all in a bunch.

1. What I enjoy most about spending time with others is the relationships that are built. _____
    2. It is difficult for me to spend time with people who I do not like. _____
    3. I form close relationships most with those who I know I can share anything with. _____
    4. When spending time with people, if someone does something that I think is wrong I speak up. _____
    5. If I accidently offend someone, they should just laugh it off. _____
    6. I form close relationships most with people who I can laugh and have a good time with. _____
    7. What I enjoy most about spending time with others is the fun we have. _____
    8. Maintaining the group atmosphere is more important than my individual feelings. _____
    9. Even if I dislike someone, I try to act friendly to avoid conflict. _____
    10. I form close relationships most with those who I feel understand me. _____
    11. I pay special attention to avoid offending others I am hanging out with. _____
    12. I do not think it is important to act friendly with those I do not like. _____
    13. I find it easy to hang out in groups in which I dislike some of the members as long as we are having a good time. _____
    14. When my individual feelings contradict the group atmosphere, I display them anyway. _____
    15. I form close relationships most with those who I do many fun activities with. ______

I also have to add in some other scale with it and I was thinking maybe a quick type test. Like give a description of of extraversion and introversion and make them pick between the two. Any help with either of these would be much appreciated.
    I think your Fi-dominant bias shows through here, because a lot of the question just make Fe types sound like assholes. So I think most people are going to score Fi > Fe on this regardless of type.

For instance, "if I accidentally offend someone, they should laugh it off"? This could be how Fe looks to Fi types, but I don't think many people would relate to this description, regardless of type. Similarly, everyone tries to form close relationships with the people who understand them.

Finally, some of these seem to be socionics-related but not Fe/Fi related. For example, avoiding conflict could be more related to Si/Se, and the part about paying "special attention to avoid offending others" might ring true for ethical types in general.

Overall, I see where you're coming from here, but I feel like these descriptions are based on narrow definitions of Fe and Fi (eg. Fe = fun and Fi = empathy). However, I dig the idea of making a Fe vs. Fi test, and I might propose some questions when I've had time to think about this.
    EIE-Ni

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. What I enjoy most about spending time with others is the relationships that are built. _____
    Not sure what this means.
    2. It is difficult for me to spend time with people who I do not like. _____
    A little too general?
    3. I form close relationships most with those who I know I can share anything with. _____
    I'd probably say yes to this (I'm LII).
    4. When spending time with people, if someone does something that I think is wrong I speak up. _____
    This could be .
    5. If I accidently offend someone, they should just laugh it off. _____
    6. I form close relationships most with people who I can laugh and have a good time with. _____
    7. What I enjoy most about spending time with others is the fun we have. _____
    These are all good questions.
    8. Maintaining the group atmosphere is more important than my individual feelings. _____
    Uh, definitely does not apply. Does anyone really think this?

9. Even if I dislike someone, I try to act friendly to avoid conflict. _____
    I would say yes to this. Not sure whether it's a general indicator though. People with as a 4th function would probably not say yes. (constructivist vs. emotivist??)
    10. I form close relationships most with those who I feel understand me. _____
    I would also say yes to this.
    14. When my individual feelings contradict the group atmosphere, I display them anyway. _____
    What does this mean?
    15. I form close relationships most with those who I do many fun activities with. ______
    Definitely YES. This could also be related to Si values though.