Thread: How do you react in this scenario?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you react in this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    I think the best way to figure out your IM is to take a look at a scenario. For instance, say you walk into a room full of people, what's the first thing you notice or pick up on: the dynamics involved, i.e. the emotional atmosphere, people's expressions, how you can influence them. Or, do you look at the possiblities, who would respond well to you, who wouldn't, what materialize with such people, that sort of thing.
    I saw this in another thread, and wondered if people could describe their way of reacting in Morcheeba's scenario suggestion?
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would respond well to me. When I walk into the room, I immidiatly look for familiar faces and generally ignore unfamiliar ones until I'm comfortable.

ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wittmont View Post
    I saw this in another thread, and wondered if people could describe their way of reacting in Morcheeba's scenario suggestion?
    nope. I think it's an interesting method of trying to figure out your IM, but also a poor one, since it involves figuring out your IM...which is too difficult in any case.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, idk. I know when I walk into a classroom for the first time the first thing I do is look for an open seat. If it was a room at a party, I'd look around for someone familiar.

I agree that this is probably not the best way to figure out your IM. There could be multiple reasons behind the same action or multiple actions in front of a similar reason.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the number of people who are there? seriously it's always the first thing that comes to my mind. after this comes a number of people i know. then a number of people i like and a number of people i dislike. in the whole end i would start counting people i would like to know. and according to my estimation I would start making a decision if I like that place or not. woah i started feeling logical.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Is the room too crowded and threatening? Or open and safe?
    2. Do I know these people? Are any of my friends here who I can feel safe around?

Basically, walking into a room full of people, especially if I don't know them, feels like I'm a soldier walking into a battlefield. Danger everywhere. Only once I've ascertained that everyone present is an "ally", can I begin to let down my guard. If even one potentially threatening "bogey" is in the room, my guard stays up until I can ascertain whether they are friendly or not.

This is why I rarely go to parties.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    nope. I think it's an interesting method of trying to figure out your IM, but also a poor one, since it involves figuring out your IM...which is too difficult in any case.
    I wasn't trying to imply that this would be the best way of figuring out your IM. I was trying to give practical suggestions. I do believe that whatever your ego function is, you will use that first and foremost. As in my case, the first thing I notice is the emotional dynamics in any new situation. I don't think it's the best way, no.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, yeah behavior is something different. I'm talking about IM's; they are psychic energy so to speak. Just because I notice the emotional dynamics of a situation doesn't mean I'm going to act on it. I'm saying that we notice whatever is related to our dominant function first and foremost.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    I do believe that whatever your ego function is, you will use that first and foremost.
    yes, we are on the same side on this. I also think I have reacted a bit too negative.

The best 'method' I've seen to find your IM, is asking another person/friend to describe you. Or let them choose out of a couple of options.

I do think that your method is a good second choice. Cause I can remember that an IEI girl once said, that when she enters a cafe, she could predict the atmosphere like 'oh this is going to become a big fight tonight' or something like that.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, depends on how I'm feeling that day, but in general, I first try to find a person that I can attach myself to, even if I'm not that close to that person. I just need a home base at a party so I can have someone to talk to if I feel I've walked around so much that people might think I'm a creeper/loser. Then, unless there are people around with whom I would really like to have a conversation (in which case I will look for opportunities to converse with them) or a group activity that I really want to participate in (Catchphrase!!) I will generally make small talk and observe relationship dynamics. A side-effect of this is that I will often be the last to laugh at jokes or funny things that arise, not because I didn't get the joke, but because other people's reactions to the joke (and how typical they are of that person) are much funnier than the joke itself.

Also, I think that particular question might be somewhat biased towards feeling type scenarios; it would be more fair to also introduce another question that seems more thinking related (a work- or school-related question).
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

who's awake, who's asleep, movement speeds, and stress levels

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I try to figure out what everybody is doing in the room: conversations, activities, etc. If there are familiar faces though, I tend to go straight to them, then figure out what they're doing later.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice two things mainly. 1.the thing I am going after. 2.general atmosphere. I can get disoriented if I cannot see the thing I'm going after or if there wasn't any in the first place.