Thread: ISTjs and board games

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Default ISTjs and board games

i come off as a retard (i'm not one really) during board games (cluedo-like ones are a nightmare.also Bang!(with cards)),does it have to do with my type? what is your experience?

edit:i think it is because i don't like criminality and i don't like watching my friends getting fascinated my these sick games where you try to find who killed whom and every character is oh-so-cool.
    Last edited by Blanket; 01-13-2010 at 01:51 PM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am quite fond of board games such as chess, and I'd be surprised to find that that was more related to than to .

The sort of people that you play with might have something to do with it; have you tried just playing to win?

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

no i don't usually play to win,i just try to avoid constantly saying no so i get to participate but it causes me frustration because i don't like putting energy into something meaningless (like ...a game) but i also don't want to significantly delay the flow of the game.My P friends are all over the place,of course.

A Tiger livin' in a zoo.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    no i don't usually play to win,i just try to avoid constantly saying no so i get to participate but it causes me frustration because i don't like putting energy into something meaningless (like ...a game) but i also don't want to significantly delay the flow of the game.My P friends are all over the place,of course.
    I find the idea of board games and card games tedious. My friends/family will have to convince me to play. But once I'm playing, it's all about the competition.

And the victory dance of course.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty competitive when it comes to any kind of game. I especially like games like Balderdash, Mastermind, and Scruples where you have to guess what other people are thinking or how they will react. Shit like Monopoly and Life bores me.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    Mmm, so it's a social event... base is known to have trouble with that. Could you think of it as a mental exercise? You seem to be focusing on the people, and that isn't your area of strength (assuming you're LSI), but it's the reason you're playing the game. If you can't apply your strengths to the game, and being able to participate isn't worth the cost (i.e. the frustration), I'd suggest refusing to play such games in the future, at least with that group of friends.

It's always possible that some other board game will appeal to you more - I suggest taking up chess.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Board games(and card games) are the only way I know how to socialize at family gatherings. Play board games is a survival instinct, although I'm rather fond of them in general. Mostly contrary to my video game choice, I prefer turn-based card games to "real time" games. As long as I'm not a monkey where luck > skill is the primary factor in the game, I'm usually up for it. (although I do prefer some luck aspect for variation, partially why I'm occasionally bored by Chess because of how EVERY move is essentially analyzed in the same way as every other move, although I still will play.)