Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: Spelling/Grammar

  1. #1
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Spelling/Grammar

    Am I the only one bothered by bad spelling and poor grammar? Is caring about spelling and grammar at all type related? It absolutely drives me crazy when someone writes something that's supposed to be very intelligent and erudite (especially in an argument) and then they fail epically on their spelling and grammar. I think it relates to the fact that I can stomach smugness, and I can stomach incompetence, but the combination of the two frustrates me to no end.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  2. #2
    Hello...? somavision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I'm in a hurry I'm terrible with both spelling and grammar (as you can tell by reading my posts), however it does annoy me when I see this trait in others.
    This unsettles me.

    EDIT: Actually, I don't always punctuate correctly regardless of time constraints.

  3. #3
    Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Canada's Prairie Farmland
    TIM
    C-LII
    Posts
    2,647
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I suspect they're related to Ti -- both spelling and grammar are explicit static systems (external statics of fields/Ti). If my theory is correct, it would be Merry types who care most about spelling and grammar, and Logical types who are naturally the best at it.
    Quaero Veritas.

  4. #4
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm not very good with spelling (probably better than average though) but excellent with grammar. I think it's a Ti thing.

  5. #5
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Also, it annoys the shit out of me when people use "words" like u, 4, 2, etc. It's not cute. It's not cool.

    Lately I've been finding that I don't mind when certain people do it though?

  6. #6
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,724
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm very strict about grammar. I'd like to be the same with spelling, but I'm better at the former than the latter, and it would be very embarrasing to correct someone and be wrong.

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  7. #7
    tereg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    EII/INFj
    Posts
    4,684
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I take spelling and grammar seriously, and even moreso when I'm using the commonly problematic English words like:

    they're/their/there
    your/you're
    it's/its
    INFj

    9w1 sp/sx

  8. #8
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Grammar is confusing and difficult, so I ignore it. Then, for spelling, I have a spellchecker.

  9. #9
    Grand Inquisitor Bardia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Spelling bothers me but I don't really care about grammar that much. I think it is because I am a much better speller.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

  10. #10
    what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Space
    TIM
    Seer
    Posts
    12,804
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't really care when it comes to that stuff? It's really not that big of a deal and I'm forgiving. Unless it's something important which requires accuracy, I could care less. I mean, honestly... why should I flip over someone not capitalizing sh!t or skipping out on proper punctuation? As long as I can understand what they're saying it's all good.

    I make typos & misspellings all the time & I'm lazy with grammar. ;] i post from my ipod half the time, so its gonna happen. Still, I'm sure most people with brains can decipher my lovely use of the English language. Thank youu & good day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

  11. #11
    JohnDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    TIM
    LII-IEI
    Posts
    638
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I as an LII care about spelling and grammar - but I make mistakes because I'm not a native speaker. So I'm not even aware of my mistakes when I read the text I wrote over and over again. Using an online dictionary doesn't help against grammar mistakes.This might be the problem of some more people here because German socionics forums just don't exist...

    If someone finds mistakes I made - I'd like to hear them to avoid them in the future...

  12. #12
    oh man, greed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    alabamer
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Completely depends on the context. If the point of the conversation is to convey meaningful ideas back and forth, then I bother with correct grammar and punctuation, and I'd usually prefer if others to do the same. In other contexts, such as Facebook status posts and the like? I don't care.

    I pretty much never correct others' grammar and spelling though.

    I'd suspect that caring about it for the sake of caring about it is a Ti-valuing thing overall; other types might have other reasons to care about it.
    IEE-Ne | ENFP | 4w3-6w7-9w1 so/sp/sx | sCoA|I| | Sanguine/Choleric | Benevolent Inventor

    birthday frog wishes you a happy birthday
    birthday frog will give you presents and a card on your birthday
    birthday frog is Fe incarnate

  13. #13
    A Tiger livin' in a zoo.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Lately I've been finding that I don't mind when certain people do it though?
    Goodlooking people?

  14. #14
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,631
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I generally don't give a shit, unless somebody is being proud of having a good grammar/spelling and he-she makes a mistake

    I care more about logical-conceptual mistakes
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  15. #15
    I PENETRATE The Penetrator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Poor spelling disgusts me. Poor grammar is little better.

  16. #16
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If bad spelling and grammar bothered me a lot, I would not be best friends with my best friend. I used to think he was IEE because he talks a lot about people making their lives into they want them to be and stuff, but I'm pretty sure now he's just an ESE that can't spell or write. And is awesome.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  17. #17
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't really mind it, as long as they're coherent. And I don't think it's type-related.

    Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    It absolutely drives me crazy when someone writes something that's supposed to be very intelligent and erudite (especially in an argument) and then they fail epically on their spelling and grammar.
    So, how would you feel if your argument was refuted by a superior one, articulated with improper grammar?

  18. #18
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    So, how would you feel if your argument was refuted by a superior one, articulated with improper grammar?
    Honestly, rather annoyed. Sort of like if I was in a gymnastics competition and another person won despite making multiple technical errors because they did a more complicated trick. If you're going to win, at least win pretty. (and yes, that was wrong on purpose).
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm good at spelling, although I do make a lot of typos when I'm writing conversationally. I care less about those when I'm writing conversationally too. If it's for something professional, I find it really annoying. Some of the things my bosses sent out shocked me. They're expecting someone to trust them with $60 million, but they can't spell basic words? No wonder they don't win many contracts. I'm not very good at remembering grammar rules. Hopefully the grammar mistakes I make are more obscure, but I know there are some I always forget. I'd be better with it if I continually brushed up on it.
    IEE

  20. #20
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    Honestly, rather annoyed. Sort of like if I was in a gymnastics competition and another person won despite making multiple technical errors because they did a more complicated trick. If you're going to win, at least win pretty. (and yes, that was wrong on purpose).
    Not to be pedantic, but I think your metaphor is incorrect. Winning by a complicated but technically flawed trick is akin to articulating a flawed argument with nice grammar.

  21. #21
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Not to be pedantic, but I think your metaphor is incorrect. Winning by a complicated but technically flawed trick is akin to articulating a flawed argument with nice grammar.
    I disagree. Perhaps "complicated" was the wrong term, but my line of thought was that the more complicated trick is, in my opinion, better, just as the superior argument is better. So the better trick (or superior argument) wins, despite the fact that it lacked certain technical aspects (or accuracy of grammar). Or am I misunderstanding something about gymnastics?

    I don't care about pedantic. Pedantic is one of my top five favorite adjectives to be, right below pretentious.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  22. #22
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    I disagree. Perhaps "complicated" was the wrong term, but my line of thought was that the more complicated trick is, in my opinion, better, just as the superior argument is better. So the better trick (or superior argument) wins, despite the fact that it lacked certain technical aspects (or accuracy of grammar). Or am I misunderstanding something about gymnastics?
    I think a superior argument is logically sound, which in gymnastics would translate as a technically sound trick. A flawless argument doesn't have to be eloquent or complicated, nor does a flawless physical performance. I figure a flawed argument with nice grammar is equivalent to a fancy/complicated trick with technical flaws, as they both lack efficacy and substance.

    I don't care about pedantic. Pedantic is one of my top five favorite adjectives to be, right below pretentious.

  23. #23
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's not a metaphor. It's an analogy.

  24. #24
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Whatever. It's still flawed. And that is an ironic demonstration of what I'm talking about.

  25. #25
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    And I wouldn't have pointed that out had this topic not been about grammar.

  26. #26
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


  27. #27
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I took a University of Wisconsin English placement test today. I was actually sort of surprised by how easy it was. You'd have to have really poor grammar and reading comprehension skills (or really poor test taking skills, I suppose) to not do well on it.

  28. #28
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,449
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've been known to be picky with other people's grammar/spelling, and I tend to hold myself to the same expectations.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

    http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

  29. #29
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I purposely use improper grammar (especially incomplete sentences) in informal communication such as forum posts, IM's, and PM's. I fear that I've done so much of this that my "proper" writing skills have suffered. But on the plus side I'm a much faster typist than I was before I started hanging out online a lot.

  30. #30
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I think a superior argument is logically sound, which in gymnastics would translate as a technically sound trick. A flawless argument doesn't have to be eloquent or complicated, nor does a flawless physical performance. I figure a flawed argument with nice grammar is equivalent to a fancy/complicated trick with technical flaws, as they both lack efficacy and substance.
    Oh, okay. I see what you mean now. Analogies are tricky.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  31. #31
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The failure to capitalize and the use of "u" "2" "noe" etc. bothers me a lot along with not using correct punctuation because it just makes you look like an idiot. Spelling doesn't really bother me a lot. I don't see how spelling typing like dis rly saves u ne tyme bcuz it takes me more tyme 2 think of how 2 rite than it wud if i were typng regularly.

  32. #32
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have always been an excellent speller, although I lapse in grammar. The common man's speak is informal, you know? However, I always notice mistakes of grammar.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  33. #33
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I don't see how spelling typing like dis rly saves u ne tyme bcuz it takes me more tyme 2 think of how 2 rite than it wud if i were typng regularly.
    Same! The only think I can think of is that it saves characters in text messages.

  34. #34
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm good with spelling and grammar. Poor grammar is like nails on a chalk board. Bad spelling doesn't bother me unless I can't read what you're saying.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  35. #35
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I got my results for my English placement test. Apparently I've tested out of the English requirement for my degree and don't need to take any English classes in college.

  36. #36
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I got my results for my English placement test. Apparently I've tested out of the English requirement for my degree and don't need to take any English classes in college.
    Congratulations, you can speak English. And READ it!!!!!!! (and write?!!!)
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  37. #37
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,631
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I got my results for my English placement test. Apparently I've tested out of the English requirement for my degree and don't need to take any English classes in college.
    Wow...you're fucking impressive
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  38. #38
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't care about any of it. I mean obviously in an academic setting I would try to use correct grammar/spelling, but otherwise I just don't care. And I especially don't care how others use it - they are free to do whatever they want.

  39. #39
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Congratulations, you can speak English. And READ it!!!!!!! (and write?!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Wow...you're fucking impressive
    I'm saying that I'm disappointed in their requirements.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •