Thread: Function Development

Creepy-male

Default Function Development

So its been stated before on this forum that the position of functions in model A determines not ones strength with a particular function but rather how fast they build strength with their functions.

I think the idea holds some weight.

For example consider family life or friends or social spheres... all these present environments to help build facility with particular functions.

If your friend is a LSI for example, you may find yourself engaging and being exposed to alot of Ti and Se, and thus enabling you to build strength with these functions. Its not that you'll be always doing this diplomatically and friendly, it could be through confrontation, but you'll be getting that exposure that would not be their to such an extent if it was just you and your own mind.

If your family is made up and an LSI and SLE, same thing... exposure to Ti and Se....

Or consider certain social spheres or activities... like Marie84 mentioned Acting was NF predominant.... so you may get exposed to Ni, Ne, Fi, Fe and so forth

If your in the military you may get exposed to ST stuff.... Se, Si, Ti, Te

If your in the sciences you may get exposed to NT stuff.... etc etc

Basically what do you all consider of this?

I think as far as I am concerned it helps me explain some contradictions... both my parents are xSTx types... My dad an SLI-Te and My mom an LSI-Se... so while I am an LII I tend to have some facility with Se and Si that was developed as a result of external influences throughout my experiences growing up.

What do you think about this idea.... I can't say it holds for my career choice a science major is NT already; however I do tend to engage in alot of Sensory based hobbies like driving, flying, action based video games, and music composition. Which explains why sometimes I feel like I can do those activities that may involve Fe or Si or Se and I don't suck at them and I get how to do them well.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strongly agree with this. I've been thinking of function position as a sort of "upper limit" on how strong an element can grow, but perhaps this is a better way of looking at it. You could imagine information flowing like water freely through a 4-dimensional function, but getting more and more constricted in the lower-dimensional functions, until at 1-dimensional pushing the information through the function is tiring and difficult to keep up for long.

If practice makes perfect, then weaker functions simply make it difficult to practice.
    Quaero Veritas.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    I strongly agree with this. I've been thinking of function position as a sort of "upper limit" on how strong an element can grow, but perhaps this is a better way of looking at it. You could imagine information flowing like water freely through a 4-dimensional function, but getting more and more constricted in the lower-dimensional functions, until at 1-dimensional pushing the information through the function is tiring and difficult to keep up for long.

If practice makes perfect, then weaker functions simply make it difficult to practice.
    Hmm yea it seems complicated... I've also suspected in myself at least that sometimes I can act "out of type" sometimes; for example most NTs love systems and analyzing stuff, but I always got bored with strategy/puzzle games as a kid and I played rpgs for more NF reasons... most of my gaming has been strong xSTp, like first person shooters, flight sims, action games, etc.

Its other stuff to, like I've always liked doing sensory stuff like driving my car, flying planes, playing games that require you to control something more tactical and such, I like listening to music (who doesn't though), but I went so far as to continue playing my trumpet into college, playing at some walk in things for jazz improvisation, learning to compose music/write songs with FL studio and such, electronic and orchestrial.... I really like a lot of sensory based activities.... oh and beautiful women.... got to love that =p.

Anyways sometimes I think what people spend their free time doing is a good indication of who they are or what their personality is like, because I mean with work/careers thats more of a formal/professional thing where you are assigned task to complete... but free time you just kind of choose what you enjoy and feel like doing.

So I am at a loss to explain all these contradictions...
    Last edited by male; 01-10-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    Hmm yea it seems complicated... I've also suspected in myself at least that sometimes I can act "out of type" sometimes; for example most NTs love systems and analyzing stuff, but I always got bored with strategy/puzzle games as a kid and I played rpgs for more NF reasons... most of my gaming has been strong xSTp, like first person shooters, flight sims, action games, etc.

Its other stuff to, like I've always liked doing sensory stuff like driving my car, flying planes, playing games that require you to control something more tactical and such, I like listening to music (who doesn't though), but I went so far as to continue playing my trumpet into college, playing at some walk in things for jazz improvisation, learning to compose music/write songs with FL studio and such, electronic and orchestrial.... I really like a lot of sensory based activities.... oh and beautiful women.... got to love that =p.

Anyways sometimes I think what people spend their free time doing is a good indication of who they are or what their personality is like, because I mean with work/careers thats more of a formal/professional thing where you are assigned task to complete... but free time you just kind of choose what you enjoy and feel like doing.

So I am at a loss to explain all these contradictions...
    Read the intertype functional differences thread. Your EM type is probably different from your IM type.