Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Ti Thing?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Ti Thing?

I recently witnessed a heated argument between my friend (I think he may be an ISTj) and his girlfriend where he jealously exclaimed "I know how guys think. The only reason your guy friends want to hang out with you is to get in your pants!" It was said in such a matter-of-fact way that I believe he sees no value in non-romantic female friends. What strikes me as weird is that I can see how he can think this way (and find it hard not to think that way myself) and am wondering if this has anything to do with "Logic of the Relations"

Am I completely off?
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol yep and it's funny

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An EIE once told me that girls have two ladders... the "friends" ladder and the "potential mate" ladder, and they see the people of the opposite sex at different places on those ladders. He claimed that guys only have one ladder...

Peter says that's complete nonsense though, that a girl can be a purely platonic friend.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have plenty of platonic friendships with women. Sounds like an idiot thing.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joy that is ladder theory... The Ladder Theory

Pretty hilarious stuff and honestly imo, for the most part TRUE. Gilly I believe men and women can have platonic friendships to be sure, but these only occur under special circumstances ... either a) you are both in relationships (happy ones) or b) you really find the other person ugly.

Otherwise ... there's always that lingering spark of what if? Or sexual tension... all the male friends I used to have I know wanted to fuck me or would fuck me if given the chance, plain and simple. But that's cause they're guys and that's what guys minds are like. You can be friends and supress it and whatnot, but it's just there.

Would you rather be friends with an attractive or unattractive person if given the choice? Hmm...

Johari
    Nohari

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That... is really ridiculous to me. But if people want to think of themselves as machines where money goes in and sex comes out (or goes in, as it were), or vice versa, fine by me.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sally: So you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive.
    Harry: No, you pretty much want to nail them, too.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best way to never score with a woman is to show too much interest in her.
    Isn't this also true with men?
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds stupid, I definitely have female friends I don't think about having sex with. (This doesn't mean that if I was single and they wanted to, I would refuse - I wouldn't, but that's not the point) Of course I also have females friends that I find really attractive...but that wasn't the point either.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Isn't this also true with men?
    Right, because a hot girl asking to fuck a guy is going to get turned down. *pats joy on the head*

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ladder theory is sad, but true.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The flaw in the ladder theory is that it assumes that all men with eventually break when clearly some men are much more breakable than others.
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drommel View Post
    Right, because a hot girl asking to fuck a guy is going to get turned down. *pats joy on the head*
    I don't think hot guys get turned down that much either, unless they are really excessively direct.

Ladder theory is fucking bullshit, I would have never have had a girlfriend there was any truth to it.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drommel View Post
    A hot girl who shows a guy too much attention may become increasingly less attractive to him though.
    SEE

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESIs and LSIs are both rather strict with their judgements, taking forever to see things another way. Ne-PoLR.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Gilly I believe men and women can have platonic friendships to be sure, but these only occur under special circumstances ... either a) you are both in relationships (happy ones) or b) you really find the other person ugly.
    c) it's an internet-based friendship

Otherwise ... there's always that lingering spark of what if? Or sexual tension... all the male friends I used to have I know wanted to fuck me or would fuck me if given the chance, plain and simple. But that's cause they're guys and that's what guys minds are like. You can be friends and supress it and whatnot, but it's just there.
    All men think with their anatomy, sure; some think with their stomachs though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it really so hard to maintain a distance with someone you're attracted to? One of my best friends and I have an understood dynamic that we've kept for years now.

We're great friends, but we also look for deep, meaningful connections in our relationships above all else. Sometimes, you just know that you'd be incompatible in a full-fledged relationship but can maintain a friendship.
    IEE-Ne | ENFP | 4w3-6w7-9w1 so/sp/sx | sCoA|I| | Sanguine/Choleric | Benevolent Inventor

birthday frog wishes you a happy birthday
    birthday frog will give you presents and a card on your birthday
    birthday frog is Fe incarnate

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty hilarious stuff and honestly imo, for the most part TRUE. Gilly I believe men and women can have platonic friendships to be sure, but these only occur under special circumstances ... either a) you are both in relationships (happy ones) or b) you really find the other person ugly.

Would you rather be friends with an attractive or unattractive person if given the choice? Hmm...
    See, the thing that bugs me is that people claim that women never have any sexual tension with men they consider "just friends?" Horse shit. Sexual tension exists in basically any male-female relationship where potential attraction exists. Just because a guy wants to fuck you, doesn't mean he doesn't think of you as a friend. Are you saying you never think about fucking any of your guy friends? If so then they are probably all ugly. Bottom line is, if you have a friend who is hot, I don't care whether you're a guy or a girl: you're gonna think about fucking them.

Under cerulean skies...

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last time I had sexual tension with a friend I found attractive it was over pretty quickly

Just sayin'
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woman on the whole seem much less likely to go through with it.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Are you kidding? It's excruciatingly difficult if the attraction is mutual. It's my most helpless weakness. The wires from my brain totally sever themselves and stop working. Guess we all have our own unique Achilles' heels, little mushy spots, where people can reach through and flip you inside out.
    I'm with you.

I have to keep working on that one.
    Nah. It's only a problem if you're already with someone else. If you're not, then enjoy it for all it's worth.
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm just a massive anomaly. Most of my female friends have at least THOUGHT about fucking me, I know that and I have thought about fucking most of them, at least considered the possibility, but that doesn't make our relationships any less platonic. If there is major sexual tension there, then something will probably happen, but otherwise life basically goes on.

Most of you people sound like animals to me.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Are you kidding? It's excruciatingly difficult if the attraction is mutual. It's my most helpless weakness. The wires from my brain totally sever themselves and stop working. Guess we all have our own unique Achilles' heels, little mushy spots, where people can reach through and flip you inside out. I have to keep working on that one.
    Huh. I think I've suddenly discovered what a Super-ego relation is really about

Now we need a Se-Role to start a thread on how hard it is to become a self-starter so that you guys can talk about how effortless that is
    IEE-Ne | ENFP | 4w3-6w7-9w1 so/sp/sx | sCoA|I| | Sanguine/Choleric | Benevolent Inventor

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

A hot girl who shows a guy too much attention may become increasingly less attractive to him though.
    True. But then she's not a hot girl. She's just a needy attentive bitch.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Do guys really think about having sex with their ugly/plain looking female friends? Please tell me this isn't true.
    Only the ones who meet my standards; otherwise, there is no sexual tension.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Do guys really think about having sex with their ugly/plain looking female friends? Please tell me this isn't true.
    I think it's kind of like do you think about eating furniture. The hungrier you are the more and more things can look like food. But really it's because you're delusional and tripping on hypoglycemia. And objects are shifting into other objects.

Still - no one would really eat furniture unless they were psychotic. But different people have different standards of what's considered edible. And yeah, when you're real hungry canned food tastes a hell of a lot better than when you're not.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    I think it's kind of like do you think about eating furniture. The hungrier you are the more and more things can look like food. But really it's because you're delusional and tripping on hypoglycemia. And objects are shifting into other objects.

Still - no one would really eat furniture unless they were psychotic. But different people have different standards of what's considered edible. And yeah, when you're real hungry canned food tastes a hell of a lot better than when you're not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    All men think with their anatomy, sure; some think with their stomachs though.
    I feel like what I said there was corrupted, somehow. Anyway, point proven.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    I feel like what I said there was corrupted, somehow. Anyway, point proven.
    You need to take more drugs.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    You need to take more drugs.
    Cyproterone acetate, Nexium, amoxycillin.

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how any of the dissenters towards Ladder Theory have said anything actually that goes against or disproves it ... um... wha???

Of course females have sexual tension with their male friends... when was it suggested that this doesn't happen? In the theory? Really? I thought it did... eh. And of course you can think of someone as a friend while still wanting to fuck them... Also, some people CAN control themselves better than others -- but again, the tension still exists and everyone has a breaking point.

Well, my own personal theory states that platonic friendships between two single people can NOT exist. One will always want the other in a more than platonic way. The other person may or may not have to reciprocate though.

Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the ladder theory article a little cynical and somewhat bitter however I thought there was some truth in it, but also a lot of bitter bullshit about women banging bikers.

I also feel it could be further elaborated.

You could have a current ladder and future ladder.

Jane is in a relationship with John, a steady, reliable and attractive middle manager. However she is close friends with James a devilishly handsome actor building a career in a competetive but potentially lucrative business.

She stays frineds with James as she see's that he could potentially be a better partner than John, however until she has further evidnece of this, she won't risk leaving James.

So James is a the top of the potential ladder whilst John is currently on top of the current ladder.

Meanwhile James being a devillishly handsome actor is engaging in many casual to not so casual relationships, whilst he strengthens his career to a point where his place is guarantedd at the top of Janes ladder.

James and Jane being good friends, often meet up and talk, they gauge and test the strength of each others current relations, their opinions towards them and their feelings for each other.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I usually have men somewhere on both ladders?
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I usually have men somewhere on both ladders?
    This is the problem I see with it--that this "shouldn't" happen. In my humble experience, relationships are much more fluid and less clear-cut and absolute than ladder theory lets on.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong... I don't know where they on those ladders.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhh... no. Don't know what girls you talk to.
    Consider the possibility that some think along the lines of ladder theory and others don't. Read the post three above yours and several other examples in this thread for evidence that that might just be an option.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Consider the possibility that some think along the lines of ladder theory and others don't. Read the post three above yours and several other examples in this thread for evidence that that might just be an option.
    +1 most definitely.

I also know way too many attractive girls that have absolutely "normal", even a little bit "ugly" boyfriends that actually treat them well. There are just too many of these cases to think that there's any truth to a theory that would actually place 95 percent of the male population as no-reproduction-worthy genetic material.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I'm going to say is this: I know for a fact that females who I have been firmly established "just friends" with have considered me sexually, on varying levels. If women have these two distinct "ladders," then they can at least cross over.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I recently witnessed a heated argument between my friend (I think he may be an ISTj) and his girlfriend where he jealously exclaimed "I know how guys think. The only reason your guy friends want to hang out with you is to get in your pants!" It was said in such a matter-of-fact way that I believe he sees no value in non-romantic female friends. What strikes me as weird is that I can see how he can think this way (and find it hard not to think that way myself) and am wondering if this has anything to do with "Logic of the Relations"

Am I completely off?
    LSI is a tactical emotivist, that is probably the best reason of which I can think

anyway, self-righteously claiming to understand how guys think without knowing what a guy thinks is pretty obstinate / subjective / Ne PoLR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by energystar; 03-01-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast